maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I think I found the cheapest tetherable internet in Canada - and its prepaid (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34516)

overfloat 2009-11-15 07:07

I think I found the cheapest tetherable internet in Canada - and its prepaid

7eleven SpeakOut Wireless currently offers unlimited browsing via the rogers goam.com APN for $7 per month. I have tethered this from my old Motorola MPX220 to my n800 and my laptop.

The only catch is that everything has to go through a http proxy - fine for most browsing though. (no voip/im people!)

The best part about this deal is that SpeakOut credit lasts 365 days - so if you travel to Canada a few times a year, you can activate and deactivate the internet as required - a $25 recharge would cover you for 3x30 day blocks spread over a year.

I never so much as saw a contract or any terms of use or anything (for the phone or the internet) - i just rang up and literally said "can I disconnect the browsing service at anytime" she said "yes, do you want me to set it up for you", I said "yes" she said "restart your phone in 15 minutes".

My speed is limited because the MPX220 is only gprs, but apparently the goam.com APN supports full 3G speed according to howardforums.

EDIT: they may be increasing it to $10 next year - still a bargain in my books

grog 2010-02-26 18:56

Re: I think I found the cheapest tetherable internet in Canada - and its prepaid

I finally bit the bullet & ordered my N900 today from Newegg.ca. Even paid the extra $20 for express shipping :). Checking out the Speakout page & if I got it right, I plop down $59 phone + $50 airtime - $20 promo ($89) + taxes for the cheapest phone, transfer the SIM to my N900 & call to activate the unlimited browsing for $10/month & I'm good to go, right?

Anyone actually using this with a N900?

grog 2010-02-28 15:00

Re: I think I found the cheapest tetherable internet in Canada - and its prepaid

Quote:

Originally Posted by grog (Post 548015)
Anyone actually using this with a N900?

Ah, c'mon! Nobody!? Don't tell me I have to be the guinea pig? :(

Bingley Joe 2010-02-28 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by overfloat (Post 376745)
My speed is limited because the MPX220 is only gprs, but apparently the goam.com APN supports full 3G speed according to howardforums.

Rogers' network only supports 3G over GPRS, so the N900 will only be able to use 2.5G speeds.

Currently the only network in Canada that provides AWS 3G is Wind Mobile, and they're an upstart, so coverage is limited at the moment.

7-Eleven's still offering a great price though -- thanks for the tip!

grog 2010-03-03 14:58

Bump again. I should get my N900 tomorrow (there was a mix-up in billing, so I had to cancel & re-order on Monday, my fault), so I want to be READY!!! :)

Fargus 2010-03-03 15:13

Best of luck with the testing of this - I am hoping ot get sensible coverage and ability to use my N900 when in Vancouver/Whistler but suspect I am living in fantasy land! :(

Bob G. Troutman 2010-03-04 03:59

Let's get a cost/benefit thing here via the actual $ per month for services used- 7-Eleven may rock with this.

I detest phone companies and contract plans- I just want to pay for phone minutes used and data used. Phone company plans suck and restrict you. Apple's IPhone concept sucks in relation to lockin with phone companies/sucks you dry/and restricts you/and their IPhone isn't a data swapping and data friendly computer. The N900 looks to be the answer- portable computer and phone/when I can't get the net and Skype for free over open WiFi.

Opinions please- and no, I don't want tto kill phone companies- just pay the minimum for wireless when I absolutely must use wireless and WiFi isn't available for Skype/downloading data/and position location via a built in GPS.

This is being sent over WiFi from my N800 by the way- a terrific machine except with no wireless phone and no built in GPS-

Lord Raiden 2010-03-04 16:46

For those who use these unlimited data plans, but are forced to go through an http proxy to do anything, which in turn blocks everything but web surfing, you should look into either finding or building your own port relay. Essentially what a port relay is, is a server that's setup to take connections on one port and forward them to the appropriate destination. It's really easy to setup and will solve all your service limitations. :D

grog 2010-03-05 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden (Post 555734)
For those who use these unlimited data plans, but are forced to go through an http proxy to do anything, which in turn blocks everything but web surfing, you should look into either finding or building your own port relay. Essentially what a port relay is, is a server that's setup to take connections on one port and forward them to the appropriate destination. It's really easy to setup and will solve all your service limitations. :D

A few details if you don't mind, please? :)

me2000 2010-03-05 19:18

Subscribed.

timwatt 2010-03-05 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by me2000 (Post 557201)
Subscribed.

and... whats the verdict? can i drop Fido?

gabby131 2010-03-05 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by grog (Post 549911)

also located in winnipeg, canada, but im sorry to let this down, the 7$ per month in rogers only works on WAP browser phones i believe.

EDIT: i think its here

timwatt 2010-03-05 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabby131 (Post 557301)
EDIT: i think its here

thats WAP not the hard core real data hungry HTML.

gabby131 2010-03-05 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwatt (Post 557344)
thats WAP not the hard core real data hungry HTML.

i hope so,

and also hope that this $7/month that will be $10/month on the 6th of march also support xHTML which is the smallest data transfer the n900 can support.

WAP browsing is supported in 5800 xm which is also a smartphone like n900, i still doubt it, coz until now, im cracking wap browsing on my n97 without using a data plan.

gabby131 2010-03-05 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by overfloat (Post 376745)
7eleven SpeakOut Wireless currently offers unlimited browsing via the rogers goam.com APN for $7 per month. I have tethered this from my old Motorola MPX220 to my n800 and my laptop.

The only catch is that everything has to go through a http proxy - fine for most browsing though. (no voip/im people!)

The best part about this deal is that SpeakOut credit lasts 365 days - so if you travel to Canada a few times a year, you can activate and deactivate the internet as required - a $25 recharge would cover you for 3x30 day blocks spread over a year.

I never so much as saw a contract or any terms of use or anything (for the phone or the internet) - i just rang up and literally said "can I disconnect the browsing service at anytime" she said "yes, do you want me to set it up for you", I said "yes" she said "restart your phone in 15 minutes".

EDIT: they may be increasing it to $10 next year - still a bargain in my books

no voip/im, need to use imo then

gabby131 2010-03-05 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by grog (Post 549911)

hmmm, let me try that one for a month and see if this fits me

ralphie02 2010-03-08 01:29

can someone help me in setting this up?? i need details as i have no idea on how to set APN goam.com or any of these crap.....
Thanks guys.

grog 2010-03-08 16:25

So guys, what's the verdict? Finally got my N900 today. Looks good on wifi, how's it work on SpeakOut? Or is the Rogers Pay as You Go better?

grog 2010-03-10 05:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by grog (Post 560146)
So guys, what's the verdict? Finally got my N900 today. Looks good on wifi, how's it work on SpeakOut? Or is the Rogers Pay as You Go better?

Well,dropping by a Rogers store answered that question. They only allow Rogers phones on their plans. So I took the plunge & got a SpeakOut phone.

SpeakOut is incredibly easy to set up as a phone, works great. The data escapes me though. The customer service girl said I have to dial 0 to start it, but that
gives an invalid # error. I noticed that I now have a Rogers connection available, so I used it, but can't browse to any sites. The Dataplan Monitor widget shows bytes, but pages arent being served. Couldnthat be the WAP?

Any help greatly appreciated. TX

Bingley Joe 2010-03-10 13:45

@grog

Have you verified you've got the correct APN settings on the N900? That's all I can think of, really..

I'm curious -- did you have to port your phone number over to SpeakOut to get this all set up, or does there seem to be a way to use them for data without having to go through all that?

grog 2010-03-10 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe (Post 562526)
Have you verified you've got the correct APN settings on the N900? That's all I can think of, really..

By APN do you mean Access Point Name? I hadn't set it explicitly, right now it's "internet.com", not encouraging :confused:. What should it be?

Quote:

I'm curious -- did you have to port your phone number over to SpeakOut to get this all set up, or does there seem to be a way to use them for data without having to go through all that?
I checked into that before. When you activate the phone the automated service assigns you one of their numbers. After that you call customer service & they arrange your number transfer. I won't be going through that for a while, my current contract has a ways to go. I'm just forwarding my calls to my SpeakOut # for now. A waste I know, but my phone is my N900 now :).

Bingley Joe 2010-03-10 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by grog (Post 562670)
By APN do you mean Access Point Name? I hadn't set it explicitly, right now it's "internet.com", not encouraging :confused:. What should it be?

Ahh, ok -- it looks like these are the settings you should use:

Apn: goam.com
Username: wapuser1
Password: wap
Proxy IP: 10.128.1.69
Port: 80

And yes, APN = Access Point Name. The proxy settings should be available under the Advanced section of the Internet Settings for that connection..

Give that a try and let me know if it works..

Quote:

I checked into that before. When you activate the phone the automated service assigns you one of their numbers. After that you call customer service & they arrange your number transfer. I won't be going through that for a while, my current contract has a ways to go. I'm just forwarding my calls to my SpeakOut # for now. A waste I know, but my phone is my N900 now :).
Hmmm interesting.. I'm curious to try SpeakOut myself just for data, but I'm not terribly keen to give up my current plan which is no-contract and grandfathered (so effectively not available anywhere else). Forwarding isn't a bad idea though..

Not sure if you've found this unofficial site, but it could be helpful:

http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/speak/

mtran66 2010-03-10 18:12

So any info regarding setting up a port relay?

qole 2010-03-10 18:15

I am currently using Fido, they're the cheapest plan I know of.

Set-up fees: $35 for the SIM, $35 to set it up, plus taxes, comes to about $80 just to start to use the service on the N900.

Monthly fees: I get the cheapest voice plan, 50 minutes, 50 SMS, for $15. I then add-on 500MB of data for $25.

After taxes, I pay about $45 per month. This gives me full Internet on the N900. I have yet to ever use more than 250 MB in a month.

All that being said, if you can get this Speakout plan working, I'd be very interested. I guess you'd have to SSH to a home PC over port 80 (the aforementioned "port relay") to get full Internet, however...

grog 2010-03-10 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe (Post 562776)
Ahh, ok -- it looks like these are the settings you should use:

Apn: goam.com
Username: wapuser1
Password: wap
Proxy IP: 10.128.1.69
Port: 80

And yes, APN = Access Point Name. The proxy settings should be available under the Advanced section of the Internet Settings for that connection..

Give that a try and let me know if it works..

How did you know what settings were needed? Works good for what I've tried so far. Should I able to send & receive gmail email via the mail app? As far as I can tell, I can retrieve messages but not send. What about map GPS data & maps? I tried ssh, doesn't go through. I agree with mtran66, what's involved in setting up a remote proxy? I've no clue. :)

Quote:

Not sure if you've found this unofficial site, but it could be helpful:

http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/speak/
Yah been there. But thanks for posting it.

qole 2010-03-10 18:56

Is only port 80 open for this service? If so, you have to set up SSH on a computer that is connected to the Internet, then make it available on port 80 (instead of or as well as port 22). You can do this via a router or you can do this in your sshd_config file. Then you use ssh and tsocks on the N900 to get access to everything over your encrypted ssh tunnel.

grog 2010-03-10 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 562839)
Is only port 80 open for this service?

Seems so. The HTTP proxy is the only one that Bingley Joe has given so far. I notice our setup has proxies for HTTPS, FTP & RSTP (?). I assume if there were any others that they'd be supplied by SpeakOut/Rogers (you can tell I don't know much about proxies).

Quote:

If so, you have to set up SSH on a computer that is connected to the Internet, then make it available on port 80 (instead of or as well as port 22). You can do this via a router or you can do this in your sshd_config file. Then you use ssh and tsocks on the N900 to get access to everything over your encrypted ssh tunnel.
I set up my home linux box to accept that no problem. I understand that you compiled tsocks for fremantle, correct? Not sure if I'm getting close to understanding all of this, but I'll do some digging & see if I can get this set up. TX

Bingley Joe 2010-03-11 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by grog (Post 562830)
How did you know what settings were needed? Works good for what I've tried so far. Should I able to send & receive gmail email via the mail app? As far as I can tell, I can retrieve messages but not send. What about map GPS data & maps? I tried ssh, doesn't go through. I agree with mtran66, what's involved in setting up a remote proxy? I've no clue. :)

Ah, glad to hear that worked for you! I came across those settings in a thread somewhere while looking into this service -- would have been either at Howardforums or the unofficial site I linked to above.. can't remember which offhand (maybe both!).

As for setting up your proxy relay, I'm just as curious as you about how to do that on the N900 side.. I've got DD-WRT on my router configured for it, but running data through an SSH tunnel on the N900 is something I'd very much like to know how to do.

AFAIK though, that's the only way to get full internet through Speakout as it's strictly limited to port 80.

akorvemaker 2010-03-11 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe (Post 563729)
AFAIK though, that's the only way to get full internet through Speakout as it's strictly limited to port 80.

Does port 443 (https) work as well?

Bingley Joe 2010-03-11 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by akorvemaker (Post 563781)
Does port 443 (https) work as well?

According to reports in this thread, what works and what doesn't seems to be a bit hit-and-miss.

Looks like HTTPS via browser works in some cases, but not for everyone.. Not sure what to make of that.

grog 2010-03-11 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe (Post 563729)
Ah, glad to hear that worked for you! I came across those settings in a thread somewhere while looking into this service -- would have been either at Howardforums or the unofficial site I linked to above.. can't remember which offhand (maybe both!).

Thanks for the link. I hadn't browsed HowardForums before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe (Post 563947)
According to reports in this thread, what works and what doesn't seems to be a bit hit-and-miss.

Looks like HTTPS via browser works in some cases, but not for everyone.. Not sure what to make of that.

I assume you're referring to this HowardForums post? In any case, HTTPS does NOT work for me. Neither does the mail client with either port 465 or 587 (set according to this Gmail Help Page).

I'd really like to get at least the local mail ap working with Gmail. Basic browsing is great, but getting new mail notification & mail access is a very close second for me. I've found the Maemo tsocks gargage page & the tsocks homepage, but a lot of it is over my head. is there a simple how-to for Maemo anywhere? There's this Maemo forum thread, but it seems to be just targeted for the browser.

TX

grog 2010-03-11 20:27

Actually re-reading the previous thread I mentioned in my last post I came across this post again. Is it really this simple?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigro (Post 551812)
set the tsocks.conf default server to 127.0.0.1 and the port to <yourPort>.

then start ssh socks proxy with
ssh -D <yourPort> user@server.

then run tsocks <yourApp> and tsocks will intercept comms and point them to your ssh.

So if I run "tsocks modest" after setting all of this it'll work? I'm going to try this as soon as I can. :cool:

TX

qole 2010-03-11 22:41

try:
Code:

tsocks modest -s

mtran66 2010-03-12 01:39

I cannot SSH into my machine while using the rogers wap thing.

I tested the ssh connection over a remote connection, so I know it works, and I set the ssh port to port 80.

anyone else having any luck?

I'm a bit of a novice myself. But would anyone know if this could possibly help?
http://www.agroman.net/corkscrew/

it's supposed to be something to help tunnel through http proxies.

grog 2010-03-12 02:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtran66 (Post 564550)
I cannot SSH into my machine while using the rogers wap thing.

I tested the ssh connection over a remote connection, so I know it works, and I set the ssh port to port 80.

anyone else having any luck?

Exactly the same for me. I set the remote server's ssh port to 80, tested it from a different server & worked fine, then I tried from my N900 connected via Rogers:
Code:

ssh -p 80 remoteuser@remoteserver.tld uname -a
And the command just eventually times out. :(
I even double-checked a web page just to make sure nothing had changed & that came up fine.

:(:(

mtran66 2010-03-12 02:15

I think we need to be able to specify to ssh that we are using a proxy. and it seems one way to do that is to install and use corkscrew... But I can't install it after trying for about an hour. I'm pretty lost

it depends on some packages like autoconf and I can't install it on the n900

edit:
here's some more information on corkscrew..
http://wiki.kartbuilding.net/index.p...ssh_over_https

is there any way to install it onto the n900? where would I start?
I unzipped it and ran ./configure, but it tells me:
http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1842...b27eebe04e.jpg

grog 2010-03-12 02:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtran66 (Post 564570)
I think we need to be able to specify to ssh that we are using a proxy.

I would've thought that having the proxy settings at the connection level would have been enough, but it seems not.

Quote:

and it seems one way to do that is to install and use corkscrew... But I can't install it after trying for about an hour. I'm pretty lost
it depends on some packages like autoconf and I can't install it on the n900
I don't believe you can compile programs directly on the N900, you need a development environment on a pc. I could be wrong, I haven't yet explored that option at all.

grog 2010-03-12 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtran66 (Post 564570)
I think we need to be able to specify to ssh that we are using a proxy. and it seems one way to do that is to install and use corkscrew...

I can see why you're interested in corkscrew. Here's a very comprehensive setup guide, if we can get it installed :)

mtran66 2010-03-12 03:17

I'm stumped

edit:

actually, someone ported corkscrew to OS2008
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=corkscrew

I installed it and it seems to be ok...

but I'm still stuck. I don't quite understand how to use corkscrew.

I was playing around with it and tried:
corkscrew [proxy ip] [proxy port] [ssh server] [ssh port - which is 80] ~/.ssh/proxyauth

inside proxyauth I put wapuser1:wap

the output I got was:
Proxy could not open connection to [ssh server]: Forbidden

edit2:

maybe I'm making some progress. Now I'm getting an additional error:
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

mtran66 2010-03-12 16:05

here's an article by someone who was able to do what we're trying to do, but on an iPhone

http://www.combinedeffort.com/conten...fault.asp?id=5

I've done everything he did except I didn't try changing my ssh port to 443, right now it's running on port 80. However, I don't see how it would be any different. I'll test it tonight anyway though.

edit:
so I changed the port to 443 and I've made some progress.

when I run:
corkscrew [proxy ip] [proxy port] [my ssh server] 443 [proxy auth file]

I get:
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1pl Debian-6ubuntu2

then it hangs for a while and goes back to the command line. One time it also said "Protocol mismatch"

However, when I try to use ssh, it still times out.

ie. ssh -p 443 [user]@[my server ip]