maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   N900 screen protectors (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90645)

eccerr0r 2013-07-04 20:38

N900 screen protectors

Anyone have a good recommendation for getting cheap screen protector sheets for the N900?

I figure none of them are going to last as long as the first one (or if they can be applied as well as the first one), so I suspect cheap ones that are replaced frequently would be the better option...

enne30 2013-07-05 12:57

Re: N900 screen protectors

http://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_trksi...at=0&_from=R40

Personally I would go with this one:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/NOKIA-N900-MI...item27bee14006

It's shaped to not cover proximity and light sensor.

pichlo 2013-07-05 14:52

I have three N900s. All used. In chronological order...

#1) Obtained in June 2012. No screen protector. Used extensively till June 2013 (i.e. for about a year). The screen had very light marks when I got it. One slightly deeper mark, can be seen and felt when stylus goes over it but does not obscure anything. These are still the same now, a year later.

#2) Obtained in Autumn 2012 (can't remember which month exactly). No screen protector. Screen in pristine shape. Device not used and currently indisposed following a failed flash. Kept for spares.

#3) Obtained in early June 2013. Screen protector on. Used extensively as a replacement for #1 since the purchase (i.e for about a month). The attached screen protector had very light, nearly invisible marks when I got it, which became quite noticeable by now. To the extent that I have bought a set of replacement screen protectors (this one) and am considering swapping it very soon.

Conclusion: A screen protector gets to a worse condition in a month than an unprotected screen gets in four years (3 with the former owner plus 1 with me). If you want to use a protector, use the cheapest you can get since you are going to replace it in a couple of months anyway.

eccerr0r 2013-07-05 22:14

Yeah, the screen itself is really tough but not unscratchable, so I rather the *cheap* screen protectors get scratched. I had my n900 for a few months now and scratched the first screen protector - the stylus scrapes over the scratch and feels weird.

I was just a bit concerned as I saw a few screen protectors selling for $6 each, and since the n900 being a discontinued platform, people stop making protectors for them...

pichlo 2013-07-05 22:29

Well, mine was 3 for 99p. I have yet to actually try it but unless it's total cr@p, I may as well buy 3 or 4 more to have spares for a few years :)

Mind you, I used my previous phone (Treo 600) for 9 years. Went through two cases but never used a screen protector. And even today you can still buy spares.

ed00 2013-07-06 07:27

Be careful with those cheap ones its could ruin original screen. Leaving some marks/spots on screen. This is the best screen protector that i know and used lasted for 3 years. But its kind of pricey.
http://www.martinfields.com/US/MFOP-NokiaN900

eleseur 2013-07-06 23:26

Skinomi or Zagg invisible shield is where its at. The skinomi is only like $5 on amazon.

Both are made of that badass plastic they put on heli blades for military choppers.

I scratch my keys against my n900's with those screen protectors all the time to show people how tough they really are.

Not a scratch on my zagg invisible shield after a few years of use, and the skinomi i got a few months back appears to be of the same quality/material.

Highly recommended. The cheap ones are pretty much disposable, you buy a zagg/skinomi and your set for the life of the device in most all scenarios.

And it WILL NEVER SCRATCH. I've tried all kinds of crazy **** with those things, and they are as solid as it gets as far as screen protectors.

cr0c0 2013-07-07 07:36

I bought a Zagg for an iPad, and i cut my own. So far I protected 3 N9s, 1 N900 and 2 HTC Sensation. Absolutely no scratches, but it does make dragging the stylus on the N900 a bit strange as the friction is higher than regular protectors.

eccerr0r 2013-07-07 18:24

This is true, the adhesive stick side, how much do they differ from vendor to vendor, indeed if it does come off the screen and tends to want to stick to the screen, that's bad. I guess I've been very particular to Nokia screen protectors, both my 5230 and n900 have the factory protector (as far as I know) and the "stickyness" is just right, at least it doesn't come off and stay on the screen.

But maybe too weak because they don't stick forever :o

pichlo 2013-07-08 08:37

I've finally got around to fitting mine. The first thing to notice is that despite the item image, the protector does not have a cutout for the light sensor. Luckily it does not seem tol affect the functionality in any way.

A few more points:
* It sticks using electrostatic force, i.e. no glue and hence no residue upon removing
* It is ever so slightly smaller than the screen, leaving about 0.5mm gap all the way around.
* It is very smooth: the friction pretty much disappeared altogether
* It is also very clear and seems to actually increase the contrast
* Sadly, it does not hide already existing scratches on the screen

As mentioned above, good to treat as disposable. I won't be too upset if I have to throw it away after a few months.

eleseur 2013-07-13 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cr0c0 (Post 1357408)
I bought a Zagg for an iPad, and i cut my own. So far I protected 3 N9s, 1 N900 and 2 HTC Sensation. Absolutely no scratches, but it does make dragging the stylus on the N900 a bit strange as the friction is higher than regular protectors.

Yeah i guess your right there now that i think about it, still i think its worth the tradeoff.

And the skinomi, is thinner, i have that on my 2nd n900 and its considerably more tactile, and there's less friction. All while offerign the same scrachless protection. and iirc its cheaper too ;)

Estel 2013-07-13 09:38

Funny enough, I find 1$ polycarbonate screen protectors (BlueStar, GT, ExclusiveLine - doesn't matter which one, as this - and few others - are made by same factory) best ones.

Application - if done properly - is absolutely bubble/dirt free, super fast, and image quality is perfect. No change to stylus behavior. Quite resistant to scratches - I change them every 6 months or so, and thanks to super-low price, always have a stock of them in drawer.

Not to mention lack of requirement for things like water-glue'ing... It's funny, because once, I really considered overpriced things like Zagg. I guess, that I will leave those for heli rotors, after all ;)

/Estel

peterleinchen 2013-07-13 11:27

I go with the Brando Ultra Clear since times of N95.
And still have the first one on the N95 (okay, would need replacement if used on daily basis), still first one on N97 and also still the first one on my N900. This one got now some light scratches on one side where I sed to scroll down/up in browser (after at least 2 almost 3 years heavy usage), they still do not disturb or annoy me to the point of exchange.
Protection is good, resistance also, view is absolutely clear and perfect, even better clearance in sunlight. Easy to reapply if some dust crawls in.

There may be cheaper ones, but I had two/three bad experiences.
So I will stay with this mid-prized product!

petur 2013-07-13 21:02

+1 for Brando, but I don't like the ultra-clear ones as I hate glossy stuff. I get the normal ones, they last years (only now on my second one!)

Edit: with normal I meant the anti-glare ones: http://shop.brando.com/Brando-Worksh...4014c19d8.html

peterleinchen 2013-07-13 21:18

Yep, depends on one's preferences. :)
I prefer to (almost) not even notice there is a screen protector at all.

chill 2013-07-18 21:31

I've had:

- OtterBox protector that came with the case. Smooth stylus action, and no scratches for two years. It's the thick, smooth kind that uses glue to stay on. After about two years it got a few bubbles underneath, and dust had gotten in at the edges (partly my fault as I had not applied it carefully enough; one corner was totally not adhering). At that point the protector had minor scratches from keys in the pocket. The screen was in perfect condition. No holes for the sensors.

-Phantomskinz - the thin, rubbery type. You dip it in soapy water to make it stick. Does not attract scratches, and offers a slight resistance to dragging a fingernail or a styles, which is not an issue with me. You get two for $10. Has holes for the sensors. Application is a bit of a hassle with soapy water, but there is a good instructional video on their web site and mine is sticking from edge to edge like an Alabama tick.

Bearserker 2014-11-26 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1358602)
Not to mention lack of requirement for things like water-glue'ing... It's funny, because once, I really considered overpriced things like Zagg. I guess, that I will leave those for heli rotors, after all ;)

Actually I only can advice anybody to avoid zagg shields for any of their devices.
I bought them at first and found them nice. Were a bit sticky but seemed very durable. And their lifetime waranty was perfect : I knew I was about to keep my n900 for many years and wanted to not have to pay attention to get a stock of screen protectors for the time when it will be hard to find replacements...

Today, I own 4 n900 and 2 open pandoras, and all my screen protectors come from zagg (6 for n900 and 2 for open pandoras). Since they are pretty used now, I tried to ask for a replacement.
Their answer : invisible shields for n900 and archos 605 (which screen is the same as open pandora) aren't available anymore so they won't fullfill the warranty. :mad::mad::mad:

Has anybody ever tried Xtreme Guard (and their lifetime warranty :D) ?

SHARP66 2014-11-27 04:52

who is the best MAEMO guy who can speak about screen protector?
who can be?[I] the one and only one[/I(]someone from Finland) Why do you need a screen protector if you did not use The(I) Mypaint?????????
the cheapest is the best.

ashes 2014-12-22 07:19

I've had the Boxwave Glossy screen protector on my daily driver N900 for almost 5 years and it's none the worse for wear. (I tried and disliked the matte version.)

FlashInTheNight86 2014-12-27 19:44

Those severely decrease screen readability.

FlashInTheNight86 2015-02-11 01:48

Did anyone try Savvies?

Wikiwide 2015-02-11 04:20

I didn't try them; I only tried Clarivue Ultra-clear. These Savvies sound the same: ultra-clear, anti-static, no-glue... Should have excellent visibility. But will likely collect finger-smears like I don't know what - there will always be urge to take a handkerchief and swipe the fingerprints away.

Don't forget to remove most, if not all, dust from display before applying ;-)

Thank you. Best wishes.

pichlo 2015-02-11 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashInTheNight86 (Post 1460371)
Did anyone try Savvies?

Yes! That's the ones I've been using. They are OK. They can actually improve the screen visibility if, like most of us, you have some microscopic scratches on the screen as they will mask those and make the screen look like new. They will not mask bigger scratches and, as Wikiwide says, make sure your screen is clean from dust as any trapped dust particles will cause visible bubbles.

I have been using my current protector for about 6 months now and I think it's about time to start thinking about replacing it. Especially if you use the stylus a lot, the protector can acquire a rather matted effect from the scratches caused by the stylus. But hey, you get a bunch of 6 for £1.50. Replacing one every 6 months will last you three years, probably longer than the phone.

FlashInTheNight86 2015-02-11 19:06

Thanks a lot! I'm tired of my matte ones, despite they look great and don't seem to be much affected by stylus, reading quality is definitely worse than transparent.

Markkyboy 2015-02-13 02:11

Yep, Savvies (SU-75 Ultraclear) here as well. Only been on about a week, so far so good.
12 for £2.25 delivered to my door (6 x 2 packs) - eBay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/protectionfilms24

Also, bought Savvies (SU-75) for my Jolla - 6 for £1.55 - Amazon, again, so far so good.
Fingerprints/grease all over both! (I love crisps!) - Do I assume there are screen protectors that defy greasy fingerprints/etc..??

capitannemo 2015-02-13 20:10

@ Markkyboy

"Fingerprints/grease all over both! (I love crisps!) - Do I assume there are screen protectors that defy greasy fingerprints/etc..??"

Regarding your question, try these ones out:

https://www.clarivue.com/nokia-n900-...protector.html

I'm pretty happy with it (Anti-Glare one), although not been the cheapest ones, greasy fingerprints are not a problem any-more (not tried with crisps but with ordinary skinny grease).

Ultra-clear one is also great in all aspects (but you will suffer from greasy fingerprints).

Also check: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37601

Enjoy your N900 :)

Cheers!

FlashInTheNight86 2015-03-24 13:13

Received my Savvies, they're good. Recommend to everyone.

t-b 2015-10-22 20:00

Bought Savvies too - from Germany. Really fast delivery (2 days)
Applied one of them and looks good.
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/6x-Schutzfoli.../380825508535?
pack of 6 for 2 EUR and if you buy two packs you will get another pack for free. So 18 screen protectors for 4 Euro. Not bad.

mike727 2016-09-21 09:51

I bought a couple '6x Savvies SU75' on ebay from protectionfilms24 in September 2015. I was surprised how easily scratched it got within a week. With little use up until now, any sane person would have changed it a dozen times by now.
Anyway when I got another n900 already with some type of screen protector applied it seems 100x better; hardly see any scratches after several months (+x amount of time from previous owner).
Sure enough, I bought another n900 and applied a Savvies to it, horrible scratches were evident after a few minutes of gentle use (stylus).
Could the Savvies be fake or a faulty run? They came in legit looking soft black (with blue logo/instructions) plastic sleeves. They seem like a perfect fit on the screen.

Anyone able to ID the superior (for me anyway) protector?

Savvies (genuine?)
https://ipfs.pics/ipfs/QmZpXmtQLsxZM...uLZ8CTBTBuQsDB

Unknown superior
https://ipfs.pics/ipfs/QmTo32gCdEoZf...Db5TY3ZPcu2pgw

Edit: Just did a little test in the corner of the screens. After several strokes and then a cloth wipe, the 'unknown' is perfect and the Savvies has more scratches.

Xsive Pro 2016-12-08 07:44

Hello. I want buy screen protector and don't know what buying for my Nokia devices. I want to buy for Nokia N900 and Nokia N9.

About protectors screens absolutely nothing know and worry before you buy, but choose between the two brands.

It's Skinomi and Vikuti.

Nokia N900 Skinomi:
www.skinomi.com/nokian900.html

Nokia N900 Vikuti:
http://www.protectionfilms24.com/pro...ia&modell=3131

Nokia N9 Skinomi:
www.skinomi.com/nokian9.html

Nokia N9 Vikuti:
http://www.protectionfilms24.com/pro...ia&modell=5688

I have mass question about this. Which purchase option optimaly, full body, mattе type, anti-bacteria protection, ultra clear? And what you thinking about is PDAir Ultra clear screen protector?

For me Important, that of the stylus worked and screen protector not degrade the performance of touchscreen. Protects the screen from everyday scratches and desirable was Anti-Fingerprint. It could be removed without damaging the device screen. Since it is very responsible to me. So I ask to give me a recommendation in my purchase.
Regards.