maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Accessories (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bluetooth STEREO (music) headset for N900 - which one? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=51894)

bennypr0fane 2010-05-04 23:59

Bluetooth STEREO (music) headset for N900 - which one?

Hi,
I'd like to get a Bluetooth Stereo Headset to use with my N900, but I want it with call controls as well as music (skip/prev., Volume, play/pause). I'd like in-ear buds and as few wires as possible, just a neckband - ergo something like Motorola S9, Altec Lansing Backbeat 903, Jaybird JB-200, or Nokia BH-505.
Has anyone tried any of these (or others) with the N900?
Suggestions?
thanks, Ben

Crom 2010-05-05 00:14

Re: Bluetooth STEREO (music) headset for N900 - which one?

I've got the Motorola S9.
It's good for Podcast's/Mp3's and have good phone sound. (bouth ways.)
I'm not shure about the answer call button. (Can't remember if it works.)
I know the vol. buttons don't work with N900, but that's no prb for me.
I have to test the "answer phone button" the day after tomorow when i'm back home.

Sorry for my "english"

canada900 2010-05-05 00:27

the one i use is the NOKIA BH-214.

volume function works
answer/hang up works
redial works
play,pause,ff,rw and skip tracks all work!

and you can plug any 3.5 head set into it.

thommy 2010-05-05 00:36

i have the S9s and don't recommend them as they are very uncomfortable. they are extremely rigid and after about 10 minutes the really begin to bother me. on the upside, after flashing with the leaked pr1.2, the track and volume keys function properly.

zombiegavins 2010-05-05 00:44

i have the jabra bt3030 and its great all musice controls work and the design kinda matches the aluminium pdair case i got on my n900 plus it turns whatever headphones you want into your bluetooth

andrew_85 2010-05-05 22:23

bought 5 minutes ago the bh-503 . .
everything works . . I'll let you know more about it after my workout :-)

ceroberts75 2010-05-05 22:26

i use the bh-903. sound is GREAT!!!

but, as usual, there is always a problem with the bluetooth stac on nokias. same was with my e90. it eventually kicks off and then needs to be restarted.

necoicould 2010-05-05 22:39

I tested

Jabra HALO = sound is ok but bass is bad = not good = 2,5/5 Stars

Nokia BH 905 = sound ok, a deep bass, but not clear sound = 3,5/5 Stars

Philips SHB6110 = Fits very good, sound is very good but there is always a "bzzzt" "bzzz" "bzzz" sound in the background (maybe due to the BT connection) Thats whay not good = 2/5 Stars

Nokia BH 214 = Very good sound, also with the in ears from it. Very bassy (I like it) Clear sound. I hear no difference between BT and NON BT headset - very clear sound. I am using it sometimes with its in ears from BH 214 because there are very short = good for conversations... but mostly i am using another earphone = Koss porta pro. The good thing is you can put every 3,5 mm headphone into BH 214.

So go for BH 214 :) ooor for BH 905. The cool thing on BH 905 is = no wire.

bennypr0fane 2010-05-09 21:48

I'd prefer something with the form factor of S9, because all the earphones I've ever used kept falling out and I constantly have to push them back in unless there's a bracket or neckband to keep them in place or press them against my ears - seemingly my ears are particularly small or something.
Problem with that kind of design is that most of them are not adjustable, more like one-size-"fits"-all, so they can be really uncomfortable to wear for some people.
What about the Nokia BH-505s? Has anyone tried those? I can't find a review of them anywhere, which looks like not a good sign to me....

esthreel 2010-05-09 22:04

I have tried BH-504 and I loved them, would really like to get one. Full remote control next to your ear: vol up dn, fw, rew, ans call...
http://skirda.net/images/nokia-bh-504.jpg
Click for review here

bennypr0fane 2010-10-27 10:52

So I bought a Plantronics Backbeat 903 BT stereo headset to go with my Nokia N900. I am very disappointed though because there's a serious problem with music playback: the tone keeps changing (going down mostly, sometimes also up), like when a record is being played more and more slowly, and it really ruins the music for me. This phenomenon has nothing to do with batteries (headset or device) being low, it also occurs when both are fully charged. So I'm wondering, is Bluetooth technology in general simply not ready yet for serious music streaming, or one of my devices is just not working properly?

Has anyone else experienced the same thing with stereo BT headset?

Has anyone successfully used a specific BT stereo headset (full music- and call-controls, good sound quality) with the N900?

Recommendations?

Thanks, Ben

kureyon 2010-10-27 13:40

The Nokia BH-505 works nicely (all controls work as expected). Sound is OK, the bass is a bit too heavy though.

bennypr0fane 2010-10-27 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by kureyon (Post 853497)
The Nokia BH-505 works nicely (all controls work as expected). Sound is OK, the bass is a bit too heavy though.

So, the sound is, like, stable? Not dropping in tone? Because that's pretty much all I need, I'm actually not that particular about the sound quality...
How about noise from outside though? E.g when you're in a subway station and the train comes in, does the music volume go louder than the noise?

kureyon 2010-10-28 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane (Post 854425)
So, the sound is, like, stable? Not dropping in tone?

No fluctuations that I can pickup. I use it with both my N900 and E71 and have no problems.

Quote:

How about noise from outside though? E.g when you're in a subway station and the train comes in, does the music volume go louder than the noise?
That depends on how good the ear buds fit your ears. It comes with 6 different sizes/shapes so you should be able to find a pair that suits you.

Baaart 2010-10-28 14:36

I recently bought the bh-505 as well, and read enough reviews before (all very positive). All functions work and sound quality is good. Enough plugs to suit your ears. Pairing both with n900 and laptop also works.

I looked for price and quality and this one is perfect.
Review: http://mynokiablog.com/2010/05/13/re...adset-evaaarr/

rotoflex 2012-01-26 08:58

Has anyone tried the Motorola S10-HD with the N900?

I am leaning toward the Nokia BH-905, but it requires a charger different from the phone. The S10-HD uses a micro USB charger like the N900.

My current evaluations while looking for a bluetooth stereo earbud-type headset w/call (integrated microphone) capability:

Nokia BH-905: Good specs except for requiring a different charger than the phone, wish I could find it in black

Nokia BH-214: Appealing except for reports that the microphone is poorly isolated from noise & callers have trouble because of wind noise, etc.

Jabra Clipper: reports that range is too poor to have reliable connection when phone is in trouser pocket or backpack

jalyst 2012-01-26 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotoflex (Post 1155926)
Has anyone tried the Motorola S10-HD with the N900?<SNIP>

Dude, that's one of the biggest necro posts I've seen in a while. Not cool.

I did "lots" of research on all this a while back, & came to the conclusion that.
The best out there SQ-wise, if you also need it to be quite sturdy, is the MM100.*
It may have a slightly different name now, but it should def. be on your short-list.
The mic isn't the best, only "acceptable", but SQ is very good for BT portable.

Sennheiser, it's supra-aural form-factor, muffles outside noise a bit, but is mostly open.
A good thing, esp. if you're exercising in public spaces...
Doesn't leech heaps of noise either, if you had it to max in a bus it may annoy others.

rotoflex 2012-01-26 09:56

I like Sennheiser's stuff, but the MM 100 is a full ear headphone, not an earbud-type like I'm looking for casual use.

If I wanted the appearance & motion drawbacks of full ear, I'd probably just put the mike boom on my Koss 4AA's & go wired.

One of the drawbacks for me of the BH-905 is that I'm not a fan of the head clamp type for casual earphones. It's just a little "I wish I was on Star Trek" for me, but I'm weighting that less because the microphone performance of the BH-214 could be unsatisfactory.

The BH-214's small storage size is a plus for it also.

jalyst 2012-01-26 09:59

^see modded post, it's supra-aural, not circum-aural or the other form-factors.
It's comfortable (once you work-out exactly how to wear it), just as good as buds in that regard.
Anyhoo, I'm unsubscribing now, best to start a new thread, good luck!

*EDIT*
Quote:

If I wanted the appearance & motion drawbacks of full ear
No idea what this means :confused: There's no appearance & motion drawbacks.
I've used it for jogging & sprinting heaps, sits perfectly stable...
Appearance-wise looks fine, but if you're someone who's likely to be self-conscious, then maybe not.

Estel 2012-01-26 10:36

jalyst, honestly, I have no idea why You criticize for writing in appropriate thread (even if last post was written long ago). It's not closed topic, new headsets arrive every month, so?

I see no use for another thread of same content, so, please rotoflex, write about Your findings here.

/Estel

phedders 2012-01-26 10:39

Recently got a Samsung HS3000 - it's superb and works really well with the phone.

rotoflex 2012-01-26 13:13

The Samsung HS3000 looks appealing:
uses microUSB, detachable headphones, nice clip design

While I was looking it up, the Samsung HM3700 was discovered. It's basically the same as the above, but the unit can be detached from the stereo headphones & used as a mono phone headset alone. That's appealing as a nice thing to have every now & then for no more space.

The Samsung HM6450 seems to be a higher-end version of the HM3700 with better mono headset functionality, but a review said that the HM3700 had better stereo audio performance.

Estel 2012-01-26 13:19

I know it's probably not what You're looking for, but normally, I use bluetooth "adapter", which allow connection of any "jack" headphones + additional microphone (different port). This way, I use my *non* wireless Koss Spark and any microphone I feel fancy - both wirelessly.

It's very adaptable to different scenarios - for example, You can as good plug-in "big" stationary speakers (through jack) and stream music from N900 via bluetooth, or catch sound from distance via microphone.

It's also *much* cheaper than stereo headsets, with many brand and no-name things available. Overall, they offer same sound quality, as it depends purely on earphones plugged to it - sound itself is carried digitally via standardized bluetooth profile.
---

Of course, some people claim that connecting cable earphones to bluetooth "thing" isn't for them, as they don't like any inch of cable - yet, I like adaptability of such setup.

/Estel

nman 2012-01-26 14:32

I used to use JayBird JB200 and liked it, but the battery died after a couple of years and they don't make them anymore. I don't like the square-in-the-ear style of their new one.

Now I use plantronics backbeat 903+. I like it too - music quality is actually a bit better than JB200 (which was rated highly when I had it), call quality a lot better, and whopping 7 hrs of battery life. Oh, and it charges thru micro usb (n900 charger will charge it, though it's charger will not charge the n900, even tho it's rated for 1A) And wonderfully, it was super cheap, less than half price of the JB200
As a downside it's a bit big and clunky. Doesn't look anywhere as slick as the Jaybird did. But I guess the size is needed to get that extra battery life. Also for my taste there are too many buttons on it - 5 in total.

Personally I'm not a fan of the S10 style headsets - I tried an S9 a while back and found not only BT receptions was not great, but also it was uncomfortable, esp while doing active stuff like running. And the bar behind the head made it practically impossible to wear while sitting in a tall seat (like on airplane or train) - uber fail for me.

buzzonme 2012-01-26 14:41

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...120126_081.jpg

off topic but this earphones came with my n9, and im quite surprised to see today a promotional pic of n9 with a diff type of headset, mine looks quite better though, is this same as yours? fellow n9 users?

rotoflex 2012-01-27 08:48

If anyone's interested, I decided to go with the Samsung HS300 mentioned by phedders.

The Samsung HM3700 & HM6450 were appealing for their convertibility to mono over-the-ear headsets, but their headphone jack was USB & required a clunky adapter to use aftermarket headphones. The HS3000 uses a standard 3.5mm headset jack.

Maybe in the future all headphones will use micro USB plugs, but in the meantime not having to deal with an adapter on casual earphones in active situations is a convincer for me.

petur 2012-01-27 08:58

Since the whole point of using wireless headphones is to have no more wires, I wouldn't go for anything less than something like the plantronics backbeat. Never was easier to pull headphones out of the bag and start listening. Look, NO WIRES!

phedders 2012-02-01 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by petur (Post 1156429)
Since the whole point of using wireless headphones is to have no more wires, I wouldn't go for anything less than something like the plantronics backbeat. Never was easier to pull headphones out of the bag and start listening. Look, NO WIRES!

Well I can think of several reasons for using bluetooth where wires are irrelevant:
  • You dont want to have to hold the device to your head - ie to be using a browser or terminal (I do unix support) whilst on a call
  • You want to be able to move about whilst still listening to music but not carry the phone
  • You want a mic always close to your mouth
  • You want to be hands free to cook, type, change nappies... whatever

Now the original Nokia buds can help a bit there - but not with the second point. But you get the choice of the Nokia buds or ... well thats it, since very few 'phones or buds include a Nokia compatible mic in the right place.

Now something like the HS3000 allows you:
  • to use any ear/head-phone/bud combo you like. Anything that has a 3.5mm jack
  • And anything that has a 3.5mm stereo jack includes your home stereo, PA system, car audio, wog-box....
  • And you can still use the mic where it should be... hands free.

When you buy a normal bluetooth headset you are limited to only using the audio reproduction device provided - ie the phones or bud in the device. You have no choice to use one with the sound you like, or a fit thats more comfortable, or your Hifi, car audio etc etc. Sure you can plug those into the phone... but the mic is in the phone place - it's on the phone so you cant be hands free unless you can perch the phone near your head.

So you see - the HS3000 and its ilk really works for some of us.

(PS. A year ago, I couldnt see the point either... :rolleyes:)

Armand360 2012-02-03 10:41

anyone tried the Nokia BH-905i? a bit pricey but i don't mind getting it if it's really good. been reading a few reviews it's 50-50 so far (some say it's really good, some say it's just okay and not the best).

sirpaul 2012-09-14 17:10

Hi there,
i am looking (as the title says) for a stereo bt headset with IN-EAR which works fine for
a) telephoning
b) listening to music (usually with quite low volume, so there shouldn't be no background noise)
c) autoconnect with the n900
AND
d) works with kp v50+ (that is the main problem)

because my last bt headset (se mw600) randomly disconnects under kp v50+ and that's why i am switching.

so any ideas what to buy? - thanks in advance!

flopjoke 2012-09-14 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armand360 (Post 1159888)
anyone tried the Nokia BH-905i? a bit pricey but i don't mind getting it if it's really good. been reading a few reviews it's 50-50 so far (some say it's really good, some say it's just okay and not the best).

I have the BH-905i. It's expensive, but it's worth the money. Two main features I love about it: awesome battery life and amazing noise-cancellation. You gotta try it to believe it, it just works. I've used it on streets, loud public areas and even on the plane.. It's amazing how good the noise cancellation is.

Also, sound quality is very good.. Certainly one of the good headphones. I chose this over Beats by Dr. Dre and that decision was because of quality of sound. With stereo widening, bass boost and ANC all turned on, this device produces really really good sounds.

the build quality is good, but as you probably read in reviews, it's a bit heavy. Still works fine though.

battery.. Oh I never saw this thing run out yet.. I left it paired with my PC with ANC on for two days straight.. It still worked perfect.. Then I put it on charge.. Never really found out the real battery life though. Oh and charging is extremely fast as well.. So far, I got it to full battery in half hour always or sometimes even 15 mins when it's not used much.

two disadvantages I noticed could be:
1. receiving call on it is as awkward as any normal Bluetooth headset.. If you're not used to it, you'll feel weird lol; it's a headphone with a hidden mic, what do you expect :P

2. The soft cushion on top is covered with some material which, if you're not careful.. Might start to tear off. Maybe because I wasn't careful.. I never saw others with the same complaint though.

For everyday use.. It's awesome.. For just making calls.. Aahh.. I wouldn't do that, so it's up to you

flopjoke 2012-09-14 21:13

Oh, and for the OP, I've also used a BH-505 headset. It's pretty solid, but I would go to the shop and buy it rather than ship it, since the build quality isn't guaranteed.

For hands-free calling, it's more suited than BH-905i. Although, I think the "fit" depends on whose head it's gonna be on, since some people have a perfect fit, some find it slipping down, so I'm not so sure.

Although if you're very particular about sound quality, this is good, but other alternatives perform better.

Check out Jabra HALO 2, it's cheap and interestingly performs really good.

sirpaul 2012-09-15 06:52

thank you very much.

i was a bit unclear, but i am looking for an in-ear headset, like that one.

And the main "problem" is, wether it works with power kernel v50+, because my se mw600 gave me random connection breakdowns/no automatic connection- which was quite annoying (under v49, v50 it kicks me out within 20mins).

So if you have a suggestion (which is really appreciated), please write your current kernel version down.

Thanks! :)

rotoflex 2012-09-16 08:41

I would like to report that I bought a BH-505, & the plastic band/frame broke after about three weeks. It was an expensive consumer learning experience.

sirpaul 2012-09-16 09:54

found today the samsung sh3000; is anyone using it and is it working?

any problems with the connection? which kernel are you using?

luf 2012-09-16 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirpaul (Post 1266655)
And the main "problem" is, wether it works with power kernel v50+, because my se mw600 gave me random connection breakdowns/no automatic connection- which was quite annoying (under v49, v50 it kicks me out within 20mins).

Does it work well with another kernel (the best is to test with stock kernel from PR13). Maybe there is some bug in KP. Have you reported this behaviour to kernel KP developers?

sirpaul 2012-09-16 11:57

already did that, it is connected with the bt-mice-patch which is needed for some headsets to function proper (e.g. se mw600) while it results in flaws with others.

so stock kernel and v50+ of kp do not work with the mw600 and because even v49 does not autoconnect proper and it disconnects in special situations (sometimes when ending a call) i want to buy a new one, although i am quite happy with it.

luf 2012-09-16 13:38

sirpaul if you want to test it a little bit more let's try experimantal bluez package (I know it has the problem with setting the BT name - it takes the name from the driver) from http://merlin1991.at/~luf/bluez/. But I'm curious if it can fix your problem.

BEWARE: this can lose all your bluez config so please backup your device. If you'll be faced with some troubles (except the BT device name) let's try to remove /var/lib/bluetooth and reboot the N900.

I stopped bluez upgrade on N900 as version 4.66 works ok for me and I was able to patch obexd to use this older version. BTW the BT device name was the only bug I find with bluez-4.99 (I used it for several days).

hriday. 2012-09-16 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane (Post 643638)
Hi,
I'd like to get a Bluetooth Stereo Headset to use with my N900, but I want it with call controls as well as music (skip/prev., Volume, play/pause). I'd like in-ear buds and as few wires as possible, just a neckband - ergo something like Motorola S9, Altec Lansing Backbeat 903, Jaybird JB-200, or Nokia BH-505.
Has anyone tried any of these (or others) with the N900?
Suggestions?
thanks, Ben

I'am pretty happy with my BH-905i.
I also have the SE-MW600 but they sound like garbage against the Nokia ones.

But if you prefer In-Ear try the Nokia Essence:

http://accessories.nokia.com/product...tereo-headset/

They look promising.

sirpaul 2012-09-17 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by luf (Post 1267382)
sirpaul if you want to test it a little bit more let's try experimantal bluez package (I know it has the problem with setting the BT name - it takes the name from the driver) from http://merlin1991.at/~luf/bluez/. But I'm curious if it can fix your problem.

thank, looks interesting, i' ll give it a try.

EDIT 1: the autoconnection issue (n900 + headset claiim they are connected, but there is no sound, even via phonespeaker) remains, i ll try later phoning wether it still disconnects randomly (which is the main issue).