maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [SFOS] Matrix - clients (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100038)

KylliOrvokki 2017-11-02 12:03

Matrix - clients

I was startpaging Matrix client for SailfishOS and found these:

Morsender
https://twitter.com/Mister1Magister/...09625845501952
- not available yet?

and

HarbourMatrix
https://github.com/Sailbook/harbour-matrix
- first versions available

Anyone using yet?

karlos devel 2017-11-02 12:42

Re: Matrix - clients

Morsender seems is working, but I have installed Matriksi is still unusable.

r0kk3rz 2017-11-02 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlos devel (Post 1538073)
I have installed Matriksi is still unusable.

Unusable how?

Its basic and the client library has some major problems with mobiles but it otherwise works

karlos devel 2017-11-02 14:15

1 Attachment(s)
Only looking like this, Matriksi -v0.5

r0kk3rz 2017-11-02 14:46

Is that account in any rooms? mine is and I have rooms on that screen

You can also join a room using the text field, but you need to use the full room id eg. #matrix:matrix.org

karlos devel 2017-11-02 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1538076)
Is that account in any rooms? mine is and I have rooms on that screen

You can also join a room using the text field, but you need to use the full room id eg. #matrix:matrix.org

Well I installed Riot app to create an account in matrix, after open the account i try to use with matriksi but look like how in the screenshot.

karlos devel 2017-11-02 16:27

@r0kk3rz Can you share your configuration to follow on how get working matrix with matriksi?
Thx.

r0kk3rz 2017-11-02 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlos devel (Post 1538080)
@r0kk3rz Can you share your configuration to follow on how get working matrix with matriksi?
Thx.

I'm not quite on the latest commit so i'll rebuild and see if anything is broken

EDIT: Yeah i see the problem, the label property is wrong for the updated client library, so the room items are there they're just invisible :D

https://github.com/Sailbook/harbour-matrix/pull/7

gaelic 2017-11-02 22:42

Good development. I hope the momentum stays and we will see a background daemon, encryption and sending pics/media/files :D

r0kk3rz 2017-11-03 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaelic (Post 1538091)
Good development. I hope the momentum stays and we will see a background daemon, encryption and sending pics/media/files :D

The guys working on the client library are doing encryption at the moment, they're also working with Matrix.org and Purism for the librem5 project so maybe they'll end up making a daemon of some kind too.

gaelic 2017-11-03 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1538100)
The guys working on the client library are doing encryption at the moment, they're also working with Matrix.org and Purism for the librem5 project so maybe they'll end up making a daemon of some kind too.

Sounds wonderful. At the moment I will stay with XMPP but am testing matrix everynow and then.

karlos devel 2017-11-03 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1538083)

EDIT: Yeah i see the problem, the label property is wrong for the updated client library, so the room items are there they're just invisible :D

https://github.com/Sailbook/harbour-matrix/pull/7

Thx. But still unusable - freeze in log in :)

r0kk3rz 2017-11-03 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlos devel (Post 1538119)
Thx. But still unusable - freeze in log in :)

Ignore the 'app not responding' message, and just wait. Works for me anyway :D

karlos devel 2017-11-03 20:19

1 Attachment(s)
Yeap just wait...2020.

Xray2000 2017-11-04 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlos devel (Post 1538126)
Yeap just wait...2020.

Hi,

I dont have that and can login without any problem...

www.rzr.online.fr 2017-11-04 12:41

is webrtc supported by any chance ?

Xray2000 2017-11-04 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr (Post 1538139)
is webrtc supported by any chance ?

Hi,

No sorry...

KylliOrvokki 2017-11-21 07:02

Matriksi seems to be now available in Warehouse or Storeman near you.

frnk 2018-03-06 19:47

After being a little frustrated about the state of Matrix clients for Sailfish OS... I had an idea:

Say we had a XMPP server running (somewhere on the internet) that acts as a Matrix client. That server would connect to a Matrix account, checking the contacts and rooms the Matrix user has. Then that server would create a XMPP fake user of each contact and room and repost all messages that appear to your personal XMPP user and back.

On Sailfish you then could just connect to your personal XMPP account and have all functionality like chatting in rooms, chatting with contacts and getting everything nicely styled on standard Sailfish GUI with notifications etc... Rooms appear as a contact on contact list etc...

Only Matrix management functions like creating rooms, changes to user profile and alike would not work from Sailfish. You would have to do this on another Matrix client, OR your fake server would provide an "admin bot" contact that you give commands via text message, yeah.

That way you would be totally independent from Jolla implementing stuff, had MUC and so on. You would not even code one line of Sailfish compatible code. Ok, encryption would break, as your server would have to decrypt and send to XMPP unencrypted, as Sailfish/Telepathy does not implement it. But fück it. I even think that matrix.org already provides a XMPP-Matrix bridge - just the other way round. But it could serve as a guide line when implementing the 'fake' server. Sure, native implementation would be better, but I'd prefer having a functional solution this century.

Just a thought. Did I miss something?

frnk 2018-03-06 19:50

Where is my last post? Damn! That was like 1000 characters!

r0kk3rz 2018-03-07 09:04

Yes I should reinvigorate my efforts on a Matrix client, but Rudi and Dylan have decided to make Transponder instead of Matriksi because they prefer Python to C++

I've been investigating WebRTC with a thought to getting video calling working with Matrix on Sailfish. It won't work until we get an updated Gstreamer but otherwise would be very cool.

If someone wants to help out on the QML side of things that would be great

r0kk3rz 2018-03-17 11:40

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I've put a bit of effort into revamping the QMatrixClient based harbour-matrix and its now starting to look like a reasonable client which I should release on OpenRepos soon.

I've update the library to the latest and got it working with opt-gcc for c++14 support, so thanks to rinigus for that.

If anyone wants to try a pre-release version, I've been updating builds on OBS https://build.merproject.org/package...harbour-matrix

Source here: https://github.com/r0kk3rz/harbour-matrix

Most of the work has been on the Rooms page, which now has some basic things like:
- Room Avatars
- Unread State
- Highlight Count
- Collapsable Tag Groups
- Accept Invite to Room

Theres also a bunch of stuff the library supports which can be easily added to the UI:
- Create Room
- Leave Room
- Set Room Tags
- Upload / Download file
- Message Editing / Redacting

r0kk3rz 2018-05-07 11:29

Ok I could do with some more alpha testers for the above, theres a lot of little things here and there that have changed but the major stuff I've added is:

- Direct Chat grouping
- Basic Caching (roomlist, images)
- Notifications

I've been using it a while and it doesnt appear to eat all your data and destroy your battery life, but i'd be interested to hear reports from anyone who is a heavy user of Matrix and is in a lot of active rooms and such.

kaulian 2018-05-07 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1544044)
Ok I could do with some more alpha testers for the above, theres a lot of little things here and there that have changed but the major stuff I've added is:

- Direct Chat grouping
- Basic Caching (roomlist, images)
- Notifications

I've been using it a while and it doesnt appear to eat all your data and destroy your battery life, but i'd be interested to hear reports from anyone who is a heavy user of Matrix and is in a lot of active rooms and such.

Hello,
thanks for improved.
Last release already seems heat battery :)

I will test it

Modulebaan 2018-05-10 15:57

Wow this client is great! I will test it on my Xperia X but I'm not a heavy Matrix user.

carlosgonz 2018-09-05 12:46

Nurmonjoki now support WebRTC powered by @r0kk3rz.

Korkkiruuvi 2018-11-19 19:45

Why there is no matriksi client for sailfish os anymore? Not in openrepos.net either github.com?

carlosgonz 2018-11-19 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korkkiruuvi (Post 1550940)
Why there is no matriksi client for sailfish os anymore? Not in openrepos.net either github.com?

is forked by: https://github.com/arsh0r/harbour-matrix

r0kk3rz 2018-11-20 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korkkiruuvi (Post 1550940)

Unfortunately Matrix on Sailfish is in various states of abandonment.

The original guys that started Matriksi dropped the project, and I continued it for a while under the harbour-matrix name
https://build.merproject.org/package...harbour-matrix
https://github.com/r0kk3rz/harbour-matrix

I'm not that interested in it anymore, and a few people have forked it.

I recently updated the libqmatrixclient version, and there's loads of cool functionality in there that needs to be plumbed in to the UI if someone wants to pick the project up

dubliner 2018-11-20 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1550953)
I'm not that interested in it anymore,

I know it's none of my business, but is there a reason why Matrix doesn't seem to be of so much interest any more?

And why isn't this software available on openrepos.net or the Jolla store?

r0kk3rz 2018-11-21 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubliner (Post 1550963)
I know it's none of my business, but is there a reason why Matrix doesn't seem to be of so much interest any more?

Not especially, it's simply that I have a finite amount of time to spend on projects and my interest is currently elsewhere.

I didn't put it on the stores because I didn't feel it was good enough yet, I personally hate when I download an app from a store only to find its barely functional and only serves to waste my time.

shmerl 2018-11-28 01:40

Is there any Matrix client for Sailfish now that supports video calls?

r0kk3rz 2018-11-28 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1551195)
Is there any Matrix client for Sailfish now that supports video calls?

I don't believe so, but I did investigate the gstwebrtc plugin that's now in sailfish and how to hook it up to to the ui

https://github.com/r0kk3rz/gstwebrtc-demos
https://github.com/r0kk3rz/gstdroid-player

The libqmatrixclient that is used in harbour-matrix now supports the necessary matrix signals, so someone needs to figure out how to mash all the bits together

EDIT:
Looks like one of our russian friends is doing some nice looking UI work for harbour-matrix, bringing some much needed polish
https://github.com/r0kk3rz/harbour-m...ment-442305090

Manatus 2018-11-28 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubliner (Post 1550963)

As a person who recently had to choose between opensource communication solutions for our company, my experience on the matter is that both Matrix and Xmpp developers are far too interested on technology itself, while the client side gets neglected.

I call it a paradox of "Anti-social people building a social network".

We had to choose Rocket.Chat over Matrix or Xmpp because the clients for those were bad or good ones didn't exist on all platforms.

Korkkiruuvi 2018-11-28 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgonz (Post 1550943)

Allright thanks for information! And oh that's little bit sad, so matrix is dead in sailfish.:(

Let's see if someone else takes Project and continue this application.

carlosgonz 2018-11-28 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korkkiruuvi (Post 1551206)
Allright thanks for information! And oh that's little bit sad, so matrix is dead in sailfish.:(

Let's see if someone else takes Project and continue this application.

i really do not know why the dev had deleted the matrix-fork after i share the link. : |
the matriksi-dev has been stopped this project, due of disappointments of jolla team. same like me. i like sailfish os, but not the company how is they is running the must pretty OS. like to goverments , unopensourcing.thats sad.

Feathers McGraw 2018-11-28 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manatus (Post 1551198)
We had to choose Rocket.Chat over Matrix or Xmpp because the clients for those were bad or good ones didn't exist on all platforms.

Which platforms were important?

Manatus 2018-11-30 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1551236)
Which platforms were important?

Separate clients for Linux, Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. And last but not least the web client had to be a good one.
SFOS support would have been a plus, of course, but with only so few users with SFOS, hardly a deciding factor.

After running XMPP for 5+ years we tested Hip.chat (RIP), Mattermost, Matrix and Rocket.Chat to fight off the ever invading Yammer and Flowdock solutions. Those weren't allowed but people used them anyway.

XMPP situation had been bad for years; no viable web client and only development forks that were killed left and right. I ended up forking Jappix (RIP) for our own use, but that didn't scale in the end.
Also the best single XMPP client, Conversations on Android, was not ported to traditional OSes.
Pidgin and Gajim just don't cut it. Pidgin is an ugly swiss army knife tool for IT-advanced people, and Gajim is not any better from the users point of view.

Hip.chat was clear for me that it was in the end of the road, and indeed Atlassian killed it soon after. It wasn't open source anyway and was expensive.

Mattermost was promising but their clients were afwul, and their support for full names and online status bad. Also they were charging small diamonds for the version with advanced authentication solutions. (And source code built it as a docker image.)

Matrix has the same good vibe to it as XMPP has, server-to-server communications and all, but the web client riot.im was years away from the last tested contender, Rocket.Chat. The web client was ugly as hell (themes too) and had lots of functionality missing.

Rocket.Chat has its bad sides to it (noSQL database mongodb and no s-2-s communications), but its web client is excellent and the clients for all mentioned platforms are good, although the mobile versions keep evolving constantly, and not always without regressions.

Edit: This happened two years ago, and I haven't checked the situation with Matrix now. But at the time they seemed to have their priorities off just like XMPP scene had had. In fact it was worse; regardless what they said in their FAQ about not trying to compete with XMPP, they were fracturing the XMPP scene just when Slack and Flowdock took over the world.
I give credit for XMPP and Matrix for what they are trying to achieve but meanwhile we are stuck in our own shard of Rocket.Chat.

acrux 2018-12-02 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manatus (Post 1551301)
Also the best single XMPP client, Conversations on Android, was not ported to traditional OSes.
Pidgin and Gajim just don't cut it. Pidgin is an ugly swiss army knife tool for IT-advanced people, and Gajim is not any better from the users point of view.

Nothing wrong with Gajim, but yes, it depends...
But have you tried Dino? https://dino.im/ Although release downloads are not yet available, nightly builds are already rock solid, so I'm using it for everyday communication...

Manatus 2018-12-03 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by acrux (Post 1551364)
Nothing wrong with Gajim, but yes, it depends...
But have you tried Dino? https://dino.im/ Although release downloads are not yet available, nightly builds are already rock solid, so I'm using it for everyday communication...

No, dino.im wasn't there when we needed one, and with several hundred employees we had to commit to something for years to come, or the worse options with more staying power will instantly win (Flowdock and Yammer, yuck!).

When you build a communication platform for the enterprise the biggest mistake you can do is to keep switching it, or creating more platforms to compete with it. This divides the user base every time it is done, which is exactly what you don't want. If there is now an option for Rocket.Chat, it has to be an awful lot better to justify the risk of switching to it.

Having said this, of course I didn't have heart to kill our XMPP instance for the limited user cases where s-2-s is needed, and a rare case that someone actually still happens to run XMPP server to connect with. So I probably will check dino.im in the future, if not for anything else but as a hobby project.