maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Mapsi - a map application for everyone (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72982)

orava 2011-05-11 21:01

[Announce] Mapsi - a map application for everyone

4 Attachment(s)
Mapsi is a WMS (Web Map Service) client for WMS servers that support EPSG:3067, EPSG:3006 (from version 3.5.1 onwards), EPSG:3045(EPSG:32633) (from version 3.5.5 onwards) or EPSG:900913 (from version 4.0.0 onwards) coordinate system.

User guide

Features
* Downloading and viewing map tiles
* Saving map tiles to database for offline use
* GPS support
* Landmarks support
* Support for map layers

Feedback is welcome.

Mapsi for Jolla/Sailfish
See this post.

Mapsi for N900
Latest version for N900 is 4.5.1, see this post.

Mapsi for N9/N950
Latest version for N9/N950 is 5.0.0, see this post for link and installation instructions.

dwaradzyn 2011-05-13 16:04

Re: [Announce] Mapsi - a map application for Finns

After installing it from extras-devel the app does not start and it looks like some missing dependencies:

Code:

[3|user@Nokia-N900|/opt/usr/bin]./Mapsi
qrc:/qml/Main.qml:55:5: Type MapArea unavailable
qrc:/qml/MapArea.qml:2:1: module "QtMobility.location" is not installed

orava 2011-05-13 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwaradzyn (Post 1005606)
After installing it from extras-devel the app does not start and it looks like some missing dependencies:

Code:

[3|user@Nokia-N900|/opt/usr/bin]./Mapsi
qrc:/qml/Main.qml:55:5: Type MapArea unavailable
qrc:/qml/MapArea.qml:2:1: module "QtMobility.location" is not installed

Yes it indeed seems that I have forgotten libqtm-11-declarative package from dependencies list. Installing that should fix that problem.

Metsämies 2011-05-14 03:09

Great! Now it works!

Feedback: PC version will be also good for selecting map tiles. But maybe you should have settings option with automatically loading tiles with selected layers and user selected radius (on Maemo) ?

Real estate boundaries and identifiers on map would be also useful for hunters etc. Is it difficult to add some or all other services from paikkatietoikkuna.fi ?

hyrra 2011-05-14 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1005656)
Yes it indeed seems that I have forgotten libqtm-11-declarative package from dependencies list. Installing that should fix that problem.

Installing libqtm-11-declarative package fix my black screen problem (same error as dwaradzyn). Thanks orava.

orava 2011-05-14 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metsämies (Post 1005904)
Feedback: PC version will be also good for selecting map tiles. But maybe you should have settings option with automatically loading tiles with selected layers and user selected radius (on Maemo) ?

You can download map tiles from specified area and layer by selecting the icon that that looks like a map from the settings menu(the lowest icon). Clicking the button that says "Make map mode" will change mode to "Download only mode" and after that you can select layer and area from which tiles are downloaded. Downloading can be aborted by long pressing the same map icon in the settings menu.

Quote:

Real estate boundaries and identifiers on map would be also useful for hunters etc.
I was thinking of adding support for these in the next version.

copperviking 2011-05-19 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1005656)

Hello! Where can I download that missing libqtm package? Cant find it in extras-devel.....

Found it, but what is right version?

savorau 2011-05-19 14:41

Great to have topo maps back to n900!
This is 10+ program if i could figure out how to
get all Finland maps straight to n900 memory...? I use maps
lot without 3g network.. And it would be possible to
use without data packet(via bluetooth gps)

copperviking 2011-05-19 15:51

Why cant I install libqtm-11-declarative package? What version should it be? Can somebody help?

savorau 2011-05-19 16:11

1. sudo gainroot

2. apt-get install libqtm-11-declarative

copperviking 2011-05-19 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by savorau (Post 1010175)
1. sudo gainroot

2. apt-get install libqtm-11-declarative

Thanks! Now it works. Looks great!!!!!

Gusse 2011-05-19 18:07

Would it be possible to get Mapsi to work with Qt Mobility 1.2.0?
I have installed libqtm-12 earlier, but not libqtm-11 (Qt Mobility 1.1.3).
To install 1.1.3 would require ~14Mb disk space, that's the (small) problem.

copperviking 2011-05-19 18:10

Working great and simple to use! Every time I use it, (not downloading maps) it takes some space of MyDocs? File manager shows nothing new in .mapsi folder. Does anyone know what and where it downloads some files?

Answering to myself. In .mapsi folder is file called: pti_wms.db. It will getting bigger every time you use mapsi. Maybe if settings/WMS is disabled, it wont getting bigger. I try to delete it and mapsi is still working. Also MyDocs get back all space.

copperviking 2011-05-20 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by savorau (Post 1010083)
Great to have topo maps back to n900!
This is 10+ program if i could figure out how to
get all Finland maps straight to n900 memory...? I use maps
lot without 3g network.. And it would be possible to
use without data packet(via bluetooth gps)

You can download all Finland maps straight to N900 memory. If there is enough space? I dont know how much that take, but you can try first smaller area, and then bigger. It takes alot of time. It would be good to use fast wlan connection. Then you can use it without datapackage. N900 gps dont need to use data. You can switch it off. Getting gps fix take more time, but it will get it. Then you can use it offline mode. If you get all Finland maps let me know how much space it take.

orava 2011-05-21 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperviking (Post 1010321)
Working great and simple to use! Every time I use it, (not downloading maps) it takes some space of MyDocs? File manager shows nothing new in .mapsi folder. Does anyone know what and where it downloads some files?

Answering to myself. In .mapsi folder is file called: pti_wms.db. It will getting bigger every time you use mapsi. Maybe if settings/WMS is disabled, it wont getting bigger. I try to delete it and mapsi is still working. Also MyDocs get back all space.

All map tiles are saved to pti_wms.db file so you shouldn't delete it if you want to use Mapsi in offline mode. In the settings box the icon with two arrows disables/enables use of Paikkatietoikkunas WMS server from which map tiles are downloaded. So when that is disabled no new map tiles are downloaded (i.e. Mapsi is in offline mode).

orava 2011-05-21 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusse (Post 1010314)
Would it be possible to get Mapsi to work with Qt Mobility 1.2.0?
I have installed libqtm-12 earlier, but not libqtm-11 (Qt Mobility 1.1.3).
To install 1.1.3 would require ~14Mb disk space, that's the (small) problem.

I think it gets too confusing if there are two versions so only Qt Mobility 1.1 version at the moment. But the next version will only use location and systeminfo modules and those require only about 2.5Mb disk space.

copperviking 2011-05-21 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1011727)
All map tiles are saved to pti_wms.db file so you shouldn't delete it if you want to use Mapsi in offline mode. In the settings box the icon with two arrows disables/enables use of Paikkatietoikkunas WMS server from which map tiles are downloaded. So when that is disabled no new map tiles are downloaded (i.e. Mapsi is in offline mode).

I dont understand what is difference between make map mode/download only mode? Make map mode did .png file to mapsi folder. Do I have to use make map mode if I use mapsi in offline?

mve 2011-05-22 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1004460)
- If you have AGTL(Advanced Geocaching Tool) installed Mapsi can use its database to show geocaches in Mapsi.

Thank you for making this application.

I have noticed one problem with geocaches. Mapsi shows only thin black line where the geocache shoud be. If I touch that line I can get cache description but it's very difficult to locate those lines. Do you have an idea what could cause that?

Other problem for me was that it took some time to notice that there are more icons below geocache icon in the menu. It should be somehow more clear to user that are more than 4 icons.

orava 2011-05-23 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperviking (Post 1011846)
I dont understand what is difference between make map mode/download only mode? Make map mode did .png file to mapsi folder.

In "make map" mode one big map image is created from selected area and in "download only" mode map tiles from selected area are downloaded to database for offline use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperviking (Post 1011846)
Do I have to use make map mode if I use mapsi in offline?

No. When you're moving around in the map all map tiles that you see are automatically saved to database for offline use. If you want to download all map tiles from selected area you can use "download only mode". (There's a bug in the current version that causes Mapsi to crash if map tiles are downloaded faster than they are written to database so you might have to limit download speed if you have fast Internet connection. That is fixed in the next version.)

orava 2011-05-23 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mve (Post 1012470)
Thank you for making this application.

I have noticed one problem with geocaches. Mapsi shows only thin black line where the geocache shoud be. If I touch that line I can get cache description but it's very difficult to locate those lines. Do you have an idea what could cause that?

Do you have latest the libqt4-declarative package(4.7.0~git20100909-0maemo1+0m5)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mve (Post 1012470)
Other problem for me was that it took some time to notice that there are more icons below geocache icon in the menu. It should be somehow more clear to user that are more than 4 icons.

I will make it more clearer in the next version. I think I should also write some using instructions because there are some features that cannot be found if you don't know them (e.g. you can list all currently visible geocaches by double tapping geocache icon and you can switch between showing all/showing unfound geocaches by long pressing geocache icon)

copperviking 2011-05-23 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1013311)
In "make map" mode one big map image is created from selected area and in "download only" mode map tiles from selected area are downloaded to database for offline use.

No. When you're moving around in the map all map tiles that you see are automatically saved to database for offline use. If you want to download all map tiles from selected area you can use "download only mode". (There's a bug in the current version that causes Mapsi to crash if map tiles are downloaded faster than they are written to database so you might have to limit download speed if you have fast Internet connection. That is fixed in the next version.)

Thanks that helped! I just dont know how to limit download speed? But thats not a problem. This works pretty well.

mve 2011-05-23 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1013318)
Do you have latest the libqt4-declarative package(4.7.0~git20100909-0maemo1+0m5)?

I will make it more clearer in the next version. I think I should also write some using instructions because there are some features that cannot be found if you don't know them (e.g. you can list all currently visible geocaches by double tapping geocache icon and you can switch between showing all/showing unfound geocaches by long pressing geocache icon)

I have Community SSU testing installed and libqt4-declarative version is 4.7.2~git20110302-0maemo2+cssu2 so probably this version brakes something in Mapsi.

Geocaching icon double tap and long press are nice features. Didn't found them without your comment so some instructions would be nice to have :-)

It seems that Mapsi will be the tool for me when looking the caches in the forest. Will make things much easier than using OSM or google maps.

extechop 2011-05-23 15:05

Nice piece of software for us Finns, though doesn't it have an icon?

copperviking 2011-05-23 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by extechop (Post 1013591)
Nice piece of software for us Finns, though doesn't it have an icon?

Yes It does.

copperviking 2011-05-23 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1013311)

So "make map" mode is basically some kind of extra function. Or what use is it for? It does .png file in .m apsi folder, but nothing else. You dont need that .png file for offline use. Not a big thing. I only want to learn all about this great piece off app. Thanks!

orava 2011-05-24 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperviking (Post 1013688)
So "make map" mode is basically some kind of extra function. Or what use is it for? It does .png file in .m apsi folder, but nothing else. You dont need that .png file for offline use. Not a big thing. I only want to learn all about this great piece off app. Thanks!

Yes, it is just an extra function that you can use to combine map tiles to larger map image.

The next version with cadastral units(kiinteistörajat), portrait mode support and improved performance is coming this week. Also Windows version is coming soon.

extechop 2011-05-24 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperviking (Post 1013613)
Yes It does [have an icon].

For some reason the software still appears on my phone just as a blue blob, like any newly installed application that hasn't yet made its icon available to the operating system. Anyone have ideas what could be causing this?

copperviking 2011-05-24 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by extechop (Post 1014207)
For some reason the software still appears on my phone just as a blue blob, like any newly installed application that hasn't yet made its icon available to the operating system. Anyone have ideas what could be causing this?

Try to restart your phone. Many application need that to show icon correctly.

copperviking 2011-05-24 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1014186)
Yes, it is just an extra function that you can use to combine map tiles to larger map image.

The next version with cadastral units(kiinteistörajat), portrait mode support and improved performance is coming this week. Also Windows version is coming soon.

Sounds that good getting better! Can't wait.....

extechop 2011-05-24 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1014186)

I sort of understand the stylistic choices made, but it would be nice to be able to remember which button is zoom in and which is zoom out. Could we please have the traditional plus and minus, or have it configurable?

Just out of curiosity, would it in principle also be possible to create a formula for Mappero to use the paikkatietoikkuna.fi map tiles, or is the projection somehow different?

orava 2011-05-25 10:06

Mapsi version 2.5.0 is now in extras-devel.

If you installed libqtm-11-declarative package to get Mapsi v2.0.0 working, you can remove it because that is no longer needed in Mapsi v2.5.0. Newest version only uses libqtm-11-systeminfo and libqtm-11-location so you can remove all the other libqtm-11 packages (if you don't have other apps that are using those).

Also as Paikkatietoikkuna.fi made some changes to their website, if you remove settings.ini from .mapsi directory versions<2.5.0 don't work anymore.

Again, feedback is welcome.

orava 2011-05-25 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by extechop (Post 1014218)
I sort of understand the stylistic choices made, but it would be nice to be able to remember which button is zoom in and which is zoom out. Could we please have the traditional plus and minus, or have it configurable?

I added plus and minus zoom buttons to version 2.5.0.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extechop (Post 1014218)
Just out of curiosity, would it in principle also be possible to create a formula for Mappero to use the paikkatietoikkuna.fi map tiles, or is the projection somehow different?

The projection of the map tiles that Mappero uses is indeed different so it is not possible to use those in Mapsi, or not easily anyway.

copperviking 2011-05-25 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1015001)

If you installed libqtm-11-declarative package to get Mapsi v2.0.0 working, you can remove it because that is no longer needed in Mapsi v2.5.0. Newest version only uses libqtm-11-systeminfo and libqtm-11-location so you can remove all the other libqtm-11 packages (if you don't have other apps that are using those).

Also as Paikkatietoikkuna.fi made some changes to their website, if you remove settings.ini from .mapsi directory versions<2.5.0 don't work anymore.

Excellent work! I try do download quite big piece of map, and now it's working. I'm not missing Mappero anymore.....

Metsämies 2011-05-25 16:43

Quote:

I had to download it manually, because the update was not found.

I walked along real estate boundaries and it worked very well. Only identifier was 3 meters away from map, but that's good for internal gps. I'm waiting for PC version and user selectable areas/layers for download. Support for storing maps on external SD card would be useful.

+/- buttons are more logical for zoom, thanks for adding !

As somebody mentioned earlier, short help would be useful.

Speed/distance etc bar should be (semi)transparent and it should show as much data as possible at one time (speed, km and scale). I haven't tried tracking and it's features, but time/km to next waypoint is useful also (Benefon Esc has it years ago!) . Do you have future plans for Mapsi ?

extechop 2011-05-26 08:51

Quote:

Great work, this is rapidly becoming a very good piece of software!

Quote:

Can you please clarify, I didn't quite understand what this means? I should not remove the settings.ini file or the earlier Mapsi versions (should I wish to downgrade to them) won't work?

orava 2011-05-26 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metsämies (Post 1015236)
Support for storing maps on external SD card would be useful.

This is actually somewhat possible already. You can copy pti_wms.db from .mapsi directory to SD card and then select to use that database file from the settings. Also with Windows version(which will be probably released today) if you have N900 connected in mass storage mode, you can select to use Mapsi database in N900 so all downloaded map tiles will be saved there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metsämies (Post 1015236)
Do you have future plans for Mapsi ?

I don't have in mind any new major features but I'll probably improve map tile downloading(possibility to download automatically from multiple layes and maybe dividing Finland in regions so that you can download all map tiles from one region and save it to its own database file) and also will do better geocaching support.

orava 2011-05-26 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by extechop (Post 1015861)
I should not remove the settings.ini file or the earlier Mapsi versions (should I wish to downgrade to them) won't work?

That's correct.

Btw you can try changing "rowCol" setting in settings.ini file (in MyDocs/.mapsi) from 5 to 7. That'll make zooming bit slower but then you won't "hit the edges" of the map area so easily. If you try changing that please let me know if you like it better so I know if I should change it to default setting.

copperviking 2011-05-26 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by orava (Post 1015961)
This is actually somewhat possible already. You can copy pti_wms.db from .mapsi directory to SD card and then select to use that database file from the settings. Also with Windows version(which will be probably released today) if you have N900 connected in mass storage mode, you can select to use Mapsi database in N900 so all downloaded map tiles will be saved there.

I don't have in mind any new major features but I'll probably improve map tile downloading(possibility to download automatically from multiple layes and maybe dividing Finland in regions so that you can download all map tiles from one region and save it to its own database file) and also will do better geocaching support.

If I change the database to sd card, do I have to put settings.ini file there too?

orava 2011-05-26 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperviking (Post 1016065)
If I change the database to sd card, do I have to put settings.ini file there too?

No, just the database file. And if you change database from the settings that selection won't get saved, so if you want to use other database than default (in MyDocs/.mapsi/pti_wms.db) you'll need to select it every time you start Mapsi.

orava 2011-05-26 18:03

I added Windows version to the first post.