maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla1 & TOH (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Official specs of Jolla phone surface (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91408)

Rogatti 2013-09-19 18:10

Official specs of Jolla phone surface

http://www.gsmarena.com/official_spe...-news-6822.php

zimon 2013-09-19 18:15

Re: Official specs of Jolla phone surface

1 GB RAM is a big design flaw. Think of multitasking both Qt- and Android-applications at the same time. swap-memory won't save them from a bad user experience.

edit:
And I don't think there could be "an other half" of extra 1 or 2 GB RAM, which would be of course nice and fix the problem.

Estel 2013-09-19 18:26

Disagree. No amount of RAM wil save them from badly written application (and putting 2134732646324723432 GB of RAM into mobiles just encourage even more badly written "apps").

For all intent and purposes, 1GB of RAM in such device type should suffice, while 2GB would be "future-proof bleeding-edge" (I'm not talking about current state of the market, but about common sense).

Not that I have any "great love" for Jolla - it just funny to read statements like that, when sitting at device with 256 RAM we have *almost* enough for everything a sane man may want from ultra-portable computer/phone combo.
---

Of course I understand what you mean by cross-multitasking with Android, but it's rather special case. Frankly, that "android support" is kind of hoax, IMO - if they want to target geeks, android is obsolete. If they want to target android users, why not make android device?

From my perspective, it's like porting symbian to Maemo (or Debian, or whatever).

/Estel

MartinK 2013-09-19 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimon (Post 1375391)
edit:
And I don't think there could be "an other half" of extra 1 or 2 GB RAM, which would be of course nice and fix the problem.

That might actually be crazy enough to work. :D

Can anyone with good understanding of the I2C bus used for the other half confirm/deny if it would usable to host an external RAM chip or fast NAND for swapping ?

IIRC there was some talk in the Neo900 project about hooking a RAM chip outside of the SOC to I2C and using it for swap.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, I2C seems to top out at about 3.4 Mbit/s, so about 500 KB per second. So swapping to MicroSD will probably be a better option.

szopin 2013-09-19 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1375396)
Frankly, that "android support" is kind of hoax, IMO - if they want to target geeks, android is obsolete. If they want to target android users, why not make android device?

Or for example run android app with wireshark in order to reverse engineer the protocol used to build sailfish native app? There's a lot of geeky usages for this hoax, I'm actually looking forward to it

panjgoori 2013-09-19 18:44

for a normal user 1gb ram is enough. what disappoints me is screen resolution. it should have been atleast 720P. but overall good specs.

Dave999 2013-09-19 18:47

This phone will collect dust, I will land it just under my n9 :D still cant wait for cheapment. We need another pre-order/shipping thread. Who want to do the honer?

1 GB is ok, unless you use it for more than a phone, if you want to play top notch games, the processor and 1GB is simply not enough. For a phone and some mails and a bit of web browsing it's OK. But I don't think any real advanced games will be available anyway. I don't play so 1 GB is fine by me. But don't come here any say that its good with ONLY 1 GB in 399 Euro phone 2014, its not. :)

tortoisedoc 2013-09-19 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1375397)
That might actually be crazy enough to work. :D

Can anyone with good understanding of the I2C bus used for the other half confirm/deny if it would usable to host an external RAM chip or fast NAND for swapping ?

IIRC there was some talk in the Neo900 project about hooking a RAM chip outside of the SOC to I2C and using it for swap.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, I2C seems to top out at about 3.4 Mbit/s, so about 500 KB per second. So swapping to MicroSD will probably be a better option.

Boy do I just imagine the mod communities going crazy about this :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1375407)
This phone will collect dust, I will land it just under my n9 :D still cant wait for cheapment. We need another pre-order/shipping thread. Who want to do the honer?

1 GB is ok, unless you use it for more than a phone, if you want to play top notch games, the processor and 1GB is simply not enough. For a phone and some mails and a bit of web browsing it's OK. But I don't think any real advanced games will be available anyway. I don't play so 1 GB is fine by me. But don't come here any say that its good with ONLY 1 GB in 399 Euro phone 2014, its not. :)

I am afraid I have to agree. Then again, low end android phones have WAY less ram and still run O-Key(ish)....

kinggo 2013-09-19 20:11

qHD? Really?
So the most talked thing about sailfish was android compatibility and now this. :(
I'm glad I didn't preorder anything. Maybe they'll do it right next time.
I didn't expect galaxy 5, not even a galaxy 3 but this............
For 400€ I can get 2 or 3 similary speced chinese phones. And after all, it is all about android compatibility. :(

tissot 2013-09-19 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1375430)
qHD? Really?
So the most talked thing about sailfish was android compatibility and now this. :(
I'm glad I didn't preorder anything. Maybe they'll do it right next time.
I didn't expect galaxy 5, not even a galaxy 3 but this............
For 400€ I can get 2 or 3 similary speced chinese phones. And after all, it is all about android compatibility. :(

To me at least its about the UI more than anything. I'm also quite interested to see how that I2C will be used, though real products there will likely take a long time.
Granted any of these devices (N900, N9, Jolla phone) have never been my main phone. They have been toys to play, thinker around and something different.

Personally have nothing against android compatibility. I probably would not jump to this phone if the situation was the same as it was on N900 and N9 launch.

kinggo 2013-09-19 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1375434)
To me at least its about the UI more than anything.

To me also. But they are the ones who talked about android. I don't need it there. I don't want it there. Already have 3 androids.
So if they actually talked about native development and native aplications that we can expect on day one then I wouldn't mine the qHD that much (I'm more or les fine with the rest) but for now they lost me. We'll see how it will go but only fancy OS with gestures isn't something that I want. And for android apps I'm already covered and I can live without gestures for 400€.

Dave999 2013-09-19 20:49

2100 mah? I bought a phone two years ago with 2500 mah. This is devices is a glorified poop. The thing that is cool is the OS. The hw and price is ****.

OK. Im now done with my initial disappointment day one and are ready to move on to a preorder/shipment thread.

Did I mention my 3GB...

mikecomputing 2013-09-19 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimon (Post 1375391)
1 GB RAM is a big design flaw. Think of multitasking both Qt- and Android-applications at the same time. swap-memory won't save them from a bad user experience.

edit:

I agree with Estel. Its time for people to learn to optimize they'r code and free memory when not use it etc...

Mobiles is not desktop where you have alot memory, cpupower and can eat power without thinking about battery.

mikecomputing 2013-09-19 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by panjgoori (Post 1375404)
for a normal user 1gb ram is enough. what disappoints me is screen resolution. it should have been atleast 720P. but overall good specs.

Dont agree.

* bigger resoultion is eating more battery
* Bigger resolution is just overhyped like xxxx mpix on mobile cameras.

What WILL disapoint me is if the camera is less good than N9 by that I mean ISO not mpix. I hope it has decent light inhouse...

patlak 2013-09-19 21:00

Why do they have to use a Qualcomm chip? They could have used Mediatek's quad A7 at 1.2GHz and a SGX544. They should have increased the RAM to at least 1.5GB and a 720p display would have captured a larger market. The one thing that bugs me is the bezel. If they shrink that a bit it would have been a much prettier device.

mikecomputing 2013-09-19 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by patlak (Post 1375448)
Why do they have to use a Qualcomm chip? They could have used Mediatek's quad A7 at 1.2GHz and a SGX544. They should have increased the RAM to at least 1.5GB and a 720p display would have captured a larger market. The one thing that bugs me is the bezel. If they shrink that a bit it would have been a much prettier device.

Because they got the batch from Lumiaphones because Nokia did not sell well :cool:

Rugoz 2013-09-19 21:47

So without VAT its around 300 euros. I think the specs are more or less appropriate for the price. Certainly not a bargain though.

Rogatti 2013-09-19 22:01

I'll wait ...i hope OS Sailfish running Xperia.

I found the screen with low resolution...quality camera / audio ? ... we have to wait the tests.

The hardware seems a little better N9.

Lumiaman 2013-09-19 22:06

It's too expensive as it stands now. If it behaves like Nokia phones, the price will drop dramatically in few months, but 2010 specs are not worth $550.

MartinK 2013-09-19 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 1375447)
* Bigger resolution is just overhyped like xxxx mpix on mobile cameras.

While it is often overhyped, it does make difference in all scenes where there are a lot of thin lines, such as lots of text or comic book/manga pages.

From my experience with the BB10 Z10 screen, which is 1280x768, you get a larger amount of readable text on the screen at once. You can also easily read manga/comic book pages in landscape with fit-to-width and almost read them in portrait with fit-to-screen.
But indeed, a "HD" screen is not a dealbreaker, just nice to have. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 1375447)
* bigger resoultion is eating more battery

Well, that is indeed possible - both due to physically switching more pixels and rendering graphics in higher resolution.

qwazix 2013-09-19 22:14

But: less need for antialiasing and subpixel rendering.

Akkumaru 2013-09-19 22:51

I'm pretty sure how android apps would multitask is the app is kept in a frozen state, like how it works in android, and QT apps will have the true multitask. :)

MartinK 2013-09-19 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkumaru (Post 1375479)
I'm pretty sure how android apps would multitask is the app is kept in a frozen state, like how it works in android, and QT apps will have the true multitask. :)

I think Android apps are not always frozen when put to background. You can say let a webpage load in Opera switch to some other app, go back and it is loaded. Sure, if it is long in background, it will probably be frozen or killed.

Speaking from the experience with my HP TouchPad running CM9.

soryuuha 2013-09-19 23:03

the thing that i dont like about N9 is the CPU capabilities and GPU capabilities.

this SoC Qualcomm Snapdragon seems to have better CPU&GPU capabilities, maybe can watch 720p movies in phone :D

anyone know detail on GPU specs?

DJJonosound 2013-09-19 23:17

All these UI purists..
I am quite frankly disappointed.. they are charging way too much for hardware that is rather outdated.
I really want one because of Sailfish OS and its heritage.. but specs that low for that price are not going to get buyers.

$300 for a nexus 4 with 2gb ram, 768x1280 display, a 1.5ghz quad core and 16gb storage vs Jolla phone approx $540, 1.4ghz dual core, 1gb ram, 540xsomething display, and 16gb storage.

Its not going to get many spec concerned buyers thats for sure.

Oblomow 2013-09-19 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJonosound (Post 1375483)
$300 for a nexus 4 with 2gb ram, 768x1280 display, a 1.5ghz quad core and 16gb storage vs Jolla phone approx $540, 1.4ghz dual core, 1gb ram, 540xsomething display, and 16gb storage.

Its not going to get many spec concerned buyers thats for sure.

It's $540 including 24% VAT (Finland), which doesn't seem to be included in your Nexus price. The Nexus is approx. $450 here in Germany including 19% VAT.

It's not the cheapest offer from jolla, but quite remarkable for such a small company. If final specs and build quality is decent, it could appeal to quite a few people.

Creamy Goodness 2013-09-20 00:10

I dunno, this trashy windows phone I'm using now runs great with 512mb RAM. It comes down to how the OS handles background apps and services.

soryuuha 2013-09-20 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness (Post 1375491)
I dunno, this trashy windows phone I'm using now runs great with 512mb RAM. It comes down to how the OS handles background apps and services.

yup right. many geeks prefer specs over OS unfortunately.

EDIT :

IIANM, Jolla said their phone will support LTE..

according to Wiki, the closest possible Snapdragon chip for Jolla phone might be :

Snapdragon S4 MSM8960
http://i.imgur.com/70VcBCA.png

same chip as Lumia 1020/925/920, HTC EVO 4G and Z10 :D

gerbick 2013-09-20 02:09

1GB RAM + true multi-tasking OS = future problems if the OS and apps are not optimized...

www.rzr.online.fr 2013-09-20 03:01

Any hint on hardware keyboard ? Itoh ? In the other half ?

KTy 2013-09-20 03:09

Geeks, stop trolling.

I think the hardware is a good compromise performance/battery.
The screen is probably the most disappointing aspect, but again it should save on power consumption and everyday user will enjoy the experience of the OS.
1GB RAM is smart also because RAM is a big source of current consumption. It should be enough for a very good Sailfish experience.
Same for the processor, dual-core as a must have today, 1.4GHz for the raw performance.
As for battery, the new iPhone 5S has a 1560mAh one. So 2100mAh is not a bad idea neither.
Bottom line, If they don't mess up with the camera and the device really feels premium, then they will have a hit.

As for the price tag, don't forget that they are small and they need to eat and grow. They probably get a good deal on the phone hardware, so putting a bit of a high price-tag will get hard-core fans (they know about spec, they live with it) and people liking more the design of the phone/OS (they don't give a **** about spec, they enjoy the experience, much like iOS users). Nobody wants the cheap android fanboys to even try Sailfish.

Someone mentioned I2C for the other half communication; where do you get this information ? Is that official ? This is a slow for a communication bus.

youmeego 2013-09-20 03:23

i2c written in fin language jolla website

soryuuha 2013-09-20 03:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTy (Post 1375505)
Someone mentioned I2C for the other half communication; where do you get this information ? Is that official ? This is a slow for a communication bus.

maybe this http://jolla.com/fi/your-jolla/

KTy 2013-09-20 07:06

Good enough for NFC, battery control, Lowpower screen, keyboard, trackpad (wtf :) ), etc... Not usable for extra camera sensor for instance.

michaelmhk 2013-09-20 07:13

I rather have a smaller screen with higher ppi for battery life. switching application with one hand is barely enough on 3.9 screen. It is hardly convinced this screen is an upgrade compare to n9, other specification is fine.

Now I rather stay on harmattan/Nemo.
Should I change to sailfish for Android application with lack of sensor?

vi_ 2013-09-20 07:28

I2C ram, I just ROFL'd my breakfast coffee out of my nose.

tortoisedoc 2013-09-20 07:38

Any chance they might upgrade the RAM at this point?
makes me think I should wait for the second Jolla Phone ;)

pichlo 2013-09-20 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by soryuuha (Post 1375495)
yup right. many geeks prefer specs over OS unfortunately.

That would not fit my definition of the word geek. Specs are for clueless lusers, geeks care about capabilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTy (Post 1375505)
I think the hardware is a good compromise performance/battery.

Amen!

Quote:

The screen is probably the most disappointing aspect
Which part of it is "disappointing"? The resolution? Don't make me laugh! My previous smartphone had a 160x160 screen and it was MUCH more usable than the N900 with 800x480. At least you could read the SMS without a magnifying glass. Sure, it was not very good for browsing, but since it did not have a WiFi it did not really matter.

There was a time when humans were so obsessed with technology and what it could achieve that they put TVs in watches. It did not last very long: the small screen was unwatchable. Now the history is repeating itself, only this time the battleground is mobile phones. Clueless masses want pixels, but some smart people have already realized that increasing the pixel count makes sense ONLY if you also increase the screen size. There is a niche market for the likes of Dave999 who like to carry around devices the size of a paperback but the most of us just want something small enough to fit in the pocket and comfortable in the hand.

KTy 2013-09-20 08:00

pichlo, your comment on the screen is as extreme as the other guys... You're not making any point.:confused:
It is just sad/surprising that the next Jolla phone will have pixel density which is lower than N9. That's all.
They are probably good reasons for that; and I hope one of them is low power.

qwazix 2013-09-20 08:03

Years of sub-par screens and using the pixels as units of length made people think that higher resolution means smaller elements. This is not true. Higher resolution means more clarity with similarly sized elements. 300dpi has been the low barrier for printed material since a long time ago. It's time screens get up to par. Are all business cards hard to read? They are still 600dpi though. Increasing resolution without increasing screen size becomes pointless only well north of 300ppi for handheld devices (including books)

Now when viewing distance increases, that changes.
If you want to read more about that http://play.qwazix.com/grog/?p=456