maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The AT&T 3G issue (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31060)

GeneralAntilles 2009-08-28 16:30

The AT&T 3G issue

So, as usual with Maemo, we have a problem. It would seem that, based on the published specifications for the N900, the next device does not support any AT&T 3G bands, and is limited to only T-Mobile 3G support.

There are two problems with this:

First, it means that Nokia has chosen to only support the major US carrier with the worst cellular coverage (T-Mobile 3G coverage is practically non-existent where I live) and, in particular, the worst 3G coverage.*

Second, it means that those of us who are stuck on AT&T plans (2 iPhones on my plan) have no option but to cope with EDGE (not very likely considering how much emphasis Nokia has placed on 3G connectivity in Fremantle) or switch to a new T-Mobile plan (for significantly more money a month) and wish fervently for T-Mobile to put up more towers in our area.

Basically, my question (or plea, at this point) is whether the specs posted are accurate and final (and I'm screwed) or if there's the chance that we will see AT&T 3G support in another variant or new device? If not, this may very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as my and my relationship with this platform goes.

*The cynical side of me (Nokia has done a really good job of encouraging my cynical side. . . .) says this was a requirement from T-Mobile to carry the phone.

ajwatt 2009-08-28 16:36

Re: The AT&T 3G issue

It just seems so short-sighted to me that they would limit the hardware in that way by omitting the AT&T band. I am wondering if it has support for AT&T 3G, but they just didn't list that in the published specs.

EIPI 2009-08-28 16:37

Off topic - I have noticed that you've been openly disapproving of Maemo lately - a real departure from not even a year ago. Sorry to see that, GA.

On topic - Canadians may be in the same boat, as Rogers and AT+T I think use the same 3G frequencies.

christexaport 2009-08-28 16:38

Nokia will release a NAM model for the US, Mexico, Central and South America, and Canada. However, the cost associated with only having AWS and no other frequencies implies a TMobileUSA exclusive for a specified time. This doesn't mean you won't be able to get one for at&t, just you'll have to wait a few months or a year (?) or more for the NAM model to be released, and if Tmo has an exclusive, you'll be forced to buy it unlocked for at&t via an importer from Canada or Mexico.

sachin007 2009-08-28 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 317300)
So, as usual with Maemo, we have a problem. It would seem that, based on the published specifications for the N900, the next device does not support any AT&T 3G bands, and is limited to only T-Mobile 3G support.

There are two problems with this:

First, it means that Nokia has chosen to only support the major US carrier with the worst cellular coverage (T-Mobile 3G coverage is practically non-existent where I live) and, in particular, the worst 3G coverage.*

Second, it means that those of us who are stuck on AT&T plans (2 iPhones on my plan) have no option but to cope with EDGE (not very likely considering how much emphasis Nokia has placed on 3G connectivity in Fremantle) or switch to a new T-Mobile plan (for significantly more money a month) and wish fervently for T-Mobile to put up more towers in our area.

Basically, my question (or plea, at this point) is whether the specs posted are accurate and final (and I'm screwed) or if there's the chance that we will see AT&T 3G support in another variant or new device? If not, this may very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as my and my relationship with this platform goes.

*The cynical side of me (Nokia has done a really good job of encouraging my cynical side. . . .) says this was a requirement from T-Mobile to carry the phone.

I thought T-mobile had $25 unlimited text and data plan. Please correct me if i am wrong. If that is true it is 5$ less than the iphone plan.

Coming to you already having 2 iphones..... well you had the advantage of getting the iphone by signing a contract. So i guess it is now the advantage to the t-mobile users. I am sorry that your area doesnt have t-mobile 3g.

zerojay 2009-08-28 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by EIPI (Post 317307)
Off topic - I have noticed that you've been openly disapproving of Maemo lately - a real departure from not even a year ago. Sorry to see that, GA.

On topic - Canadians may be in the same boat, as Rogers and AT+T I think use the same 3G frequencies.

Rogers appears to use T-Mobile's frequencies here in Canada.

christexaport 2009-08-28 16:41

TMobile's 3G has been coming online very quickly, and since Nokia Seimens is building most of the network, maybe Nokia knows it'll have a new, widespread network and a selling point for iphone data probs

GeneralAntilles 2009-08-28 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 317308)
This doesn't mean you won't be able to get one for at&t, just you'll have to wait a few months or a year (?) or more for the NAM model to be released, and if Tmo has an exclusive, you'll be forced to buy it unlocked for at&t via an importer from Canada or Mexico.

Waiting a few months to a year, will, unfortunately, exhaust all of what remains of my enthusiasm for Maemo.

GeneralAntilles 2009-08-28 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachin007 (Post 317311)
I thought T-mobile had $25 unlimited text and data plan. Please correct me if i am wrong. If that is true it is 5$ less than the iphone plan.

I'm not on an iPhone plan (my data and texting costs $15/mo), but I'm attached to a family plan which has two of them, and I'm not willing to pay a bunch of extra money to switch to an individual T-Mobile plan.

sachin007 2009-08-28 16:45

T-Mobile just informed us of data plans specific to the T-Mobile G1 (these do not include the voice plan). The first plan has unlimited Web, e-mail, and messaging for $35. This plan includes:

* Unlimited Web
* Unlimited e-mail
* Unlimited messaging (text, picture, and IM)
* T-Mobile HotSpot data access

The second plan has unlimited Web and e-mail and 400 messages for $25. This plan includes:

* Unlimited Web
* Unlimited e-mail (unlimited, part of Web/data)
* Unlimited IM on Google Talk
* 400 total messages (text messages, picture messages, non-Google Talk IM)
* T-Mobile HotSpot data access

mobiledivide 2009-08-28 16:47

I am on ATT and will have to switch to T mobile to use the N900. For me I look at this as a bonus, I am not on contract as I always buy unlocked phones and go month to month. Here in NYC since the release of the iPhone 3G and 3GS the ATT network is so overtaxed that it is barely even EDGE speeds anymore. I attribute this to every second person I see in downtown Manhattan using an iPhone. I am hoping that the T-Mobile 3G network is more robust simply due to no iPhone users on HSPA.

In an ideal world Nokia would release two variants one on 900/1700/2100 and the other on 850/1900/2100 but I have a feeling that this phone is going to be exclusive on T-Mobile for a while.

sachin007 2009-08-28 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 317318)
I'm not on an iPhone plan (my data and texting costs $15/mo), but I'm attached to a family plan which has two of them, and I'm not willing to pay a bunch of extra money to switch to an individual T-Mobile plan.

If you are not willing to switch then there is nothing anyone can do. As far as nokia's history suggests, it will release another model but it will definitely take a couple of months after the release and it will not be subsidized.

Matan 2009-08-28 16:53

Don't you read this forum - the cell part is optional. You have the option of buying a 700$ tablet with a 3.5" screen and connecting it with bluetooth to a cellular phone that is connected to your favourite network.

Texrat 2009-08-28 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matan (Post 317327)
Don't you read this forum - the cell part is optional. You have the option of buying a 700$ tablet with a 3.5" screen and connecting it with bluetooth to a cellular phone that is connected to your favourite network.

If I'm forced to that measure I'd rather wait to see if a true tablet is coming.

nilchak 2009-08-28 17:21

I too am on ATT and T-Mobile (my previous provider) sucks in signal strength by my area.

And if I have to tether my N900 to my N95 to connect to ATT, then whats the point of a convergent device ? But good to know thats a worst case scenario.

If T-Mobile's 3G coverage has improved since then I may switch (since its true NYC where I work - has bad ATT reception due to iPhone usres overload) to T-Mob.

But I still think Nokia will bring multiple devices for the different spectrums, but only after letting T-Mobile ride their 'exclusive' arrangement deal for some time.

lemmyslender 2009-08-28 17:30

Just for fun:

Of US N8x0 users, maybe 1/3 (figuring equally for AT&T, Verizon, TMobile) are currently on TMobile, of that maybe 1/4 are near a point where they can get out of there contracts (+-3 months is 1/4 of 2yr) so roughly 8-9% could get a subsidized phone w/o substantial cost to get out of current contract. Double that for the folks that don't care. 16-20% of current tablet US tablet users could get a cheap / don't care about cost N900.

I'd guess that due to lock-in and contracts, adoption will be slow here in the US. Many of us are in the same boat as GA, too expensive to switch (in terms of money and coverage).

Nathan 2009-08-28 17:47

At least for those on AT&T we can surmise a AT&T version of the phone once the t-mobile exclusive is done.

But I'm happily on a small carrier that is CDMA (i.e the same bands Verizon, Sprint use) -- Nokia doesn't appear to do ANY high end phones for CDMA, and so I think I'm up a creek without a paddle on the N900....

Nathan.

sachin007 2009-08-28 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 317353)
At least for those on AT&T we can surmise a AT&T version of the phone once the t-mobile exclusive is done.

But I'm happily on a small carrier that is CDMA (i.e the same bands Verizon, Sprint use) -- Nokia doesn't appear to do ANY high end phones for CDMA, and so I think I'm up a creek without a paddle on the N900....

Nathan.

Now is a good time to switch. I imagine it will take atleast 6 months for nokia to release a tablet variant. By that time you can sell the phone and buy the next wide screen tablet. I plan to do that.

bigr3dd0g 2009-08-28 18:32

GA is right though..T-Mobile 3G coverage sucks ***

http://www.cellularmaps.com/3g_compare.shtml

Texrat 2009-08-28 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 317353)

Nathan.

That's based on the old war with Qualcomm... which has now become a marriage. Look for new devices soon. Now the only thing that holds CDMA back is the reluctance toward easily-swapped SIM cards.

Lord Raiden 2009-08-28 18:56

From what I've seen, *all* networks are supported out of the box. However, due to carrier locking, only specific carriers are supported. IE, to start with Tmobile gets support first, then the others. And Nokia won't have to do anything, save for changing the locking code. To do otherwise would be too inexpensive.

It's the same reason you can only use the iPhone on the AT&T network, *UNLESS* you unlock it, and then it can move wherever you want it to. The same will be true of the n900.

sachin007 2009-08-28 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden (Post 317432)
From what I've seen, *all* networks are supported out of the box. However, due to carrier locking, only specific carriers are supported. IE, to start with Tmobile gets support first, then the others. And Nokia won't have to do anything, save for changing the locking code. To do otherwise would be too inexpensive.

It's the same reason you can only use the iPhone on the AT&T network, *UNLESS* you unlock it, and then it can move wherever you want it to. The same will be true of the n900.

Sorry you are wrong. Read here for explanation.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=80

Reggie 2009-08-28 19:04

I am in the same dilemma. There is no way I can switch to T-Mobile since we don't have it in our area.

Yes, the phone component will work on AT&T, but data-wise, it will be at EDGE speed at max.

I am hoping that the NAM version will support AT&T. US T-Mobile folks can always opt to get the european version.

sachin007 2009-08-28 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 317440)
I am in the same dilemma. There is no way I can switch to T-Mobile since we don't have it in our area.

Yes, the phone component will work on AT&T, but data-wise, it will be at EDGE speed at max.

I am hoping that the NAM version will support AT&T. US T-Mobile folks can always opt to get the european version.

I understand your problem. But i dont think nokia will release another variant in the very near future. My guess is that it will take atleast 3 months to release it just to give exclusivity to the carrier. Nokia should have released both versions. But i hope because of the exclusivity deal the n900 will be very well subsidized. May be u need to check again for t-mobile coverage may be they updated recently....

Reggie 2009-08-28 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachin007 (Post 317442)
I understand your problem. But i dont think nokia will release another variant in the very near future. My guess is that it will take atleast 3 months to release it just to give exclusivity to the carrier. Nokia should have released both versions. But i hope because of the exclusivity deal the n900 will be very well subsidized. May be u need to check again for t-mobile coverage may be they updated recently....

Nope, not a single T-mobile shop here.

I remember Nokia released the N95 with HSDPA 2100 support for europe and HSDPA 850 / 1900 on the NAM version. Still hoping...

sachin007 2009-08-28 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 317450)
Nope, not a singe T-mobile shop here.

I remember Nokia released the N95 with HSDPA 2100 support for europe and HSDPA 850 / 1900 on the NAM version. Still hoping...

Yeah i remember. But post iphone it is all about exclusivity. No matter how hard nokia tried to fight of exclusivity and carrier lockin they are being forced to do it to compete in this stupid American market.

alephito 2009-08-28 19:33

Should I open a new topic for "The Latin American 3G issue" or can I join this one?

In Latin America we use the same data frequency than AT&T.

theflew 2009-08-28 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigr3dd0g (Post 317404)
GA is right though..T-Mobile 3G coverage sucks ***

http://www.cellularmaps.com/3g_compare.shtml

You need to study those maps carefully. The t-mobile map only shows 3G where the other makes show general cell service as well. The actually 3G coverage doesn't look that much different. Basically major cities.

nilchak 2009-08-28 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachin007 (Post 317354)
Now is a good time to switch. I imagine it will take atleast 6 months for nokia to release a tablet variant. By that time you can sell the phone and buy the next wide screen tablet. I plan to do that.

What if I do not want the tablet but want to keep my N900 (provided I buy it).

More importantly to GA's point what if T-Mobile coverage is not upto par (at least with ATT I know where I do have coverage and am getting 3.5G right now) ? That's the big question.

I am still betting (personally) that there will be unlocked versions with support for ATT spectrum too.

SD69 2009-08-28 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflew (Post 317464)
You need to study those maps carefully. The t-mobile map only shows 3G where the other makes show general cell service as well. The actually 3G coverage doesn't look that much different. Basically major cities.

Also, be aware that the T-Mo map on that site must be an old map. 3G isn't only in green; red represents those cities that have been lit this year or will be lit with 3G by Christmas.

sachin007 2009-08-28 20:13

1 Attachment(s)
3G - Dark pink
edge - light pink

phi 2009-08-28 20:15

If you guys follow T-mobile on twitter, they're rolling out 3G pretty quickly over the year. That said, who here actually travels all over the US all the time? T-mobile 3G is awesome here in DC. It works great, and the coverage is good. Everyone I know that has AT&T and on their 3G network in the area barely gets faster than EDGE speeds.

The real solution is to move to an area with T-MO 3G coverage :-D

bigr3dd0g 2009-08-28 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflew (Post 317464)

i am looking at it carefully. the blue spots in ATTis at least 5-10x greater area than the t mobile spots.

http://coverage.t-mobile.com/default.aspx?MapType=Data

heres the map sachiin posted. the dark red marks are where the 3g is.

if you make the maps the same size as the ATT map, the 3g for t mobile wouldn't cover tip of your index finger. whereas the ATT maps..each state with coverage has more coverage than t mobile has in the entire country (slightly exaggerated but not really)..

and lol at phil

danramos 2009-08-28 23:25

...and now I can sit back and watch the arguing and angst that this has produced among the folks that wanted a cell phone radio built-in. Meanwhile, the telcos shall enrich themselves upon the tears of everyone involved and not involved alike.

Laughing Man 2009-08-28 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by phi (Post 317502)
If you guys follow T-mobile on twitter, they're rolling out 3G pretty quickly over the year. That said, who here actually travels all over the US all the time? T-mobile 3G is awesome here in DC. It works great, and the coverage is good. Everyone I know that has AT&T and on their 3G network in the area barely gets faster than EDGE speeds.

The real solution is to move to an area with T-MO 3G coverage :-D

Haha the only place I've seen my cousin's iPhone not work was in Ocean City. But the city of College Park also gets spotty service (particularly in the campus). Ironically considering that Maryland is pushing the iPhone. But they're planning on putting up a cell phone radio tower there.

barry99705 2009-08-29 00:01

This is a better map for T-Mob coverage.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc...pport=Coverage

I'm currently on At&t, since I had the first gen iPhone, sold it to get my Tilt. I'm still on the fence whether to get the new iPhone, or jump ship to T-Mob for an Android based phone, or now maybe, the N900.

sachin007 2009-08-29 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry99705 (Post 317660)
This is a better map for T-Mob coverage.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc...pport=Coverage

I'm currently on At&t, since I had the first gen iPhone, sold it to get my Tilt. I'm still on the fence whether to get the new iPhone, or jump ship to T-Mob for an Android based phone, or now maybe, the N900.

That map is of voice coverage. You need to click the data tab for data.

zerojay 2009-08-29 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 317630)
...and now I can sit back and watch the arguing and angst that this has produced among the folks that wanted a cell phone radio built-in. Meanwhile, the telcos shall enrich themselves upon the tears of everyone involved and not involved alike.

There's very little point in producing this kind of hardware and NOT having a cell radio built-in these days, whether you want to believe it or not. It's the major reason the previous tablets didn't sell.

danramos 2009-08-29 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 317664)
There's very little point in producing this kind of hardware and NOT having a cell radio built-in these days, whether you want to believe it or not. It's the major reason the previous tablets didn't sell.

It's also a missed opportunity to lead the way to make it modular and work on ANY carrier with a plug-in. Yanno.. where the circuit for the radio CURRENTLY resides.. right inside there with the battery and the SD card, etc.

zerojay 2009-08-29 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 317667)
It's also a missed opportunity to lead the way to make it modular and work on ANY carrier with a plug-in. Yanno.. where the circuit for the radio CURRENTLY resides.. right inside there with the battery and the SD card, etc.

There's probably a really good reason that it hasn't been done. I'm not an engineer at the FCC though.