maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Mapping network drive on N900? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38999)

ashyk36 2010-01-01 20:57

Mapping network drive on N900?

is there any way to map my network drive to my n900? thank you

ashyk36 2010-01-04 18:38

Re: mapping network drive n900

anyone????

Fargus 2010-01-04 18:43

From your terminology I am assuming you are looking for something akin to the DOS world of drive N: is the same as \\myserver\share ? Care to elaborate?

somarf 2010-01-04 19:59

I'm interested in this also. I have an external drive at home that houses all of my divx movies for my mac/ps3. Would love for my, comes today!!!, N900 to have access to it and download copies to it directly.

WannaDoIt 2010-01-04 20:11

Just put it on your USB port, select mass storage mode on you device and you can copy any file you like to it...

Good luck..

shadow12 2010-01-04 20:16

Do a search for cifs on the forum. If you have mounted shares in linux before then you will find it very familiar if not it might take a few tries. If you dont succeed post here and I will see if I can help.

That One Guy 2010-01-04 20:22

Why would you want to copy so much data over WiFi?

I'm telling you, it's slow going, compared to plugging it into the computer and transferring files that way.

Now, if you just want to access that drive and stream a video, you have several options. Knotts2, Windows Media Player, etc.

pagesix1536 2010-01-04 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by That One Guy (Post 453029)

I'm telling you, it's slow going, compared to plugging it into the computer and transferring files that way.

Now, if you just want to access that drive and stream a video, you have several options. Knotts2, Windows Media Player, etc.

I'd have to agree. Maybe a useful feature if you're just copying over small amounts of data, but if you're doing what I did last night (moved 16 GB of MP3's over)....for sure don't bother with trying to mount a share into the filesystem over Wifi. Just hit up the USB cable in mass-storage mode on a PC (you are running Linux on your PC of course, right? Everyone should be. :) ) and then just move the files over that way.

FifthFreedom 2010-01-04 20:27

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to access a shared drive on a WINDOWS PC?

I know there are faster and better ways of transferring... but you cant beat it on convienience :)

That One Guy 2010-01-04 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagesix1536 (Post 453033)
(you are running Linux on your PC of course, right? Everyone should be. :) ) and then just move the files over that way.

I'm not running Linux on a PC. I'm running it on a MacBook Pro. Can I still be one of the cool kids? :D

shadow12 2010-01-04 20:29

Agreed direct USB is much quicker. But mounting is awesome if you want access to some media or files on your local pc and don't want to load it onto your device.

shadow12 2010-01-04 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by FifthFreedom (Post 453040)
Just out of curiosity, is there a way to access a shared drive on a WINDOWS PC?

I know there are faster and better ways of transferring... but you cant beat it on convienience :)

Yes man look up cifs.

Simply share the drive or folder on the windows machine and then mount it on the N900 using cifs.

pagesix1536 2010-01-04 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by That One Guy (Post 453041)
I'm not running Linux on a PC. I'm running it on a MacBook Pro. Can I still be one of the cool kids? :D

That works. I dual-boot my Mac as well (rEFIt rocks!). OSX for work and then Linux for home is how I do it.

Allmighty 2010-01-04 20:43

OK so this one interested me enough to register. Been a N900 user for two months now and lurking around here for a couple of weeks.
First off, Can’t believe some of the replies; why the questions around why you wanna do this. Because it should be possible must be enough of a reason for a toy like the N900. Second, I would find it really useful if an easy way existed to hook to shared drives in an XP/Vista/7 environment. PC-Connectivity sounds promising but difficult. VPN is overkill. SSH is mysterious to an old DOS guy like myself. What I want is to be able to just browse the local subnet and be able to copy, move delete, stream files without being cable attached to the computer / disk. Anyone? There are a lot of good programmers here. I would be willing to pay for an app that gave me the ability to browse above the N900 but within the constraints of the home network.

And of course. Not to hijack the thread but my battery time improved dramatically as well a couple of days ago. Don’t know which package / update it was that made it. I’m scratching my head about what I have installed / removed put can’t pinpoint anything.

shadow12 2010-01-04 20:56

Look at this thread

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38536

Allmighty 2010-01-04 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow12 (Post 453085)

Shadow12. Got it. Thanks.

somarf 2010-01-04 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by That One Guy (Post 453029)

The movies are averaging 700mb in size, so transferring that over WiFi wouldn't be a problem. And if I'm downstairs and I want to grab some movie / music, I'd like the option to just jump on my external drive and grab what I wanted, not schlep up the stairs, log in, connect cable, look around, drag-drop, wait to finish, etc. :D Just thought it would be convenient/cool to be connected to it.

rokmystage 2010-01-05 22:48

I wonder what's the fuss about streaming music and videos from a network drive...I've got a network drive, N900 and streaming works just fine OUT-OF-THE-BOX...just hook up to your Wi-Fi, start the media player and you should see your network drive also...copying files is a different matter, I don't need that. And if I have to copy files I'll use the cable...it is, after all, a working solution.

EDIT: Just a little bit off-topic, read the thread again and it seems that I missed the point a bit. But hey, streaming works out-of-the-box...isn't that something! :D

ashyk36 2010-01-06 00:38

i am connected to wifi but when i go on the media player my network drive does not show up.i do however have my pc and laptop showing up at the bottom of the media player but i am not sharing anything from them

Jef91 2010-01-06 02:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow12 (Post 453085)

Gosh that is an ugly how to. We need to get Samba ported to Maemo 5 ASAP. Hopefully once I figure out this sandbox thing I can get it recompiled thehehe

~Jeff

colnago 2010-01-06 02:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by somarf (Post 453128)
The movies are averaging 700mb in size, so transferring that over WiFi wouldn't be a problem. And if I'm downstairs and I want to grab some movie / music, I'd like the option to just jump on my external drive and grab what I wanted, not schlep up the stairs, log in, connect cable, look around, drag-drop, wait to finish, etc. :D Just thought it would be convenient/cool to be connected to it.

Is there a "net use" command for xTerminal, like in DOS?

rokmystage 2010-01-06 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashyk36 (Post 454924)
i am connected to wifi but when i go on the media player my network drive does not show up.i do however have my pc and laptop showing up at the bottom of the media player but i am not sharing anything from them

How strange is that...I've had zero problems connecting to my network drive using mac, linux or even vista. I'm pretty sure I haven't made any changes to the settings of my N900 either (regarding that streaming issue), it just works. On the other hand, I have made some changes to the settings of the network drive too long ago to remember what I did :).

asidana 2010-01-06 16:22

n900 finds Av servers on your network automaticaly and show in file manager

colnago 2010-01-06 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by asidana (Post 455730)
n900 finds Av servers on your network automaticaly and show in file manager

Good call...didn't think to look in File Mgr. once connected via Media Player. Now I can copy.

ashyk36 2010-01-06 20:49

on my pc i have to map the drive in 'my computer' so it doesnt make sense that it will just show up

colnago 2010-01-06 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashyk36 (Post 456192)
on my pc i have to map the drive in 'my computer' so it doesnt make sense that it will just show up

If its part of your "monitored folders" in your media player's library, it will.

ashyk36 2010-01-06 21:11

no im sorry i do not get anything to my network drive. the past on my computer is: N:\\Belkin\ashy_stik. the only thiong i get on my n900 is shared documents from my computer

itambrose 2010-01-10 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by colnago (Post 456204)
If its part of your "monitored folders" in your media player's library, it will.

Hi. so you're saying that I can instruct my N900's Media Player to monitor folders, and those folders could be on another PC also connected to my wireless router? Something like \\pcname\folder like I do between my own PCs?

I'm not an advanced linux/maemo user so not confident messing around with native string entries.

colnago 2010-01-10 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by itambrose (Post 462739)
Hi. so you're saying that I can instruct my N900's Media Player to monitor folders, and those folders could be on another PC also connected to my wireless router? Something like \\pcname\folder like I do between my own PCs?

I'm not an advanced linux/maemo user so not confident messing around with native string entries.

No.

I'm saying that if you share you Windows Media Player Library, and you connect to it via the 900's Media player, that all the folders and files (which will be media and picture) monitored by Windows Media player, will be available to the 900 via the 900's "File Manager".

ashyk36 2010-01-16 15:49

Re: Mapping network drive on N900?

yeee butttt then my pc will always need to be turned on.if i can map the drive then i can connect through wifi and not my computer.

http://www.engr.uiowa.edu/tools/etud...rive-vista.jpg

like that on windows

crenquis 2010-01-17 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jef91 (Post 455032)
Gosh that is an ugly how to. We need to get Samba ported to Maemo 5 ASAP. Hopefully once I figure out this sandbox thing I can get it recompiled thehehe

~Jeff

I always had shares automatically available in the file manager with my n800 and n810 by using the avahi services (also makes bluetooth devices automagially browsable)
I installed avahi in the n900 but haven't had any success yet...
There are some manual tweaks that need to be done after installing avahi (e.g. renaming some files in /etc/rc2.d so that avahi gets started after dbus) -- perhaps I am forgetting some of the tweaks....
I'll play with the working n810 to see if I can figure it out...

itambrose 2010-01-17 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by colnago (Post 462780)
No.

I'm saying that if you share you Windows Media Player Library, and you connect to it via the 900's Media player, that all the folders and files (which will be media and picture) monitored by Windows Media player, will be available to the 900 via the 900's "File Manager".

Thanks. I worked out what I had to do. Never paid any attention to the 'share media' option in Windows Media Player. I enabled it, accepted the first authentication window, and works fine. Don't even need to have Win Media Player running or even have your PC logged in, just have the PC switched on, and N900's Media Player and File Manager finds it. Works a treat. Thanks, Ian

drangina 2010-04-23 19:51

I was previously able to access my NAS drive through file manager but now i can see only through Media player...so basically i can listen to music...but i cannot copy paste or move/ delete any file.

Any SOLUTION?

drangina 2010-04-28 22:47

I am accessing my NAS server through VPN. can anyone suggest how no map a shared folder and access through file manager or media player. because when i am at home network i dont need to map.

paulkoan 2010-04-28 23:06

Wizard Mounter