maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Maemo Mapper v2.0 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=11245)

gnuite 2007-11-02 02:47

Maemo Mapper v2.0

Latest Version: 2.0.4

Install for the Nokia 770 or the Nokia N800:(Note: To run Maemo Mapper on the Nokia 770, you must have firmware version 3.2006.49-2 or greater.)

Many of you have been waiting for this for a long time. I apologize for the delay, but there is a lot of new functionality in this release.

This is the first release of the 2.x version of Maemo Mapper. It focuses on increased functionality at the cost of some CPU efficiency.

Major upgrades include a database-driven map repository, rotating viewpoint, GPSD compatibility, and new POI functionality. See the changelog for the (mostly) complete list of changes.

This release works on the 770 and N800, but you may find it too slow to use on the 770. It depends on your personal tastes, but the combination of database use and rotational functionality have slowed down screen drawing significantly. I personally find it very usable, especially if you leave "Auto-Rotate" disabled and keep your Pan Sensitivity down. If you're not sure, then give it a whirl. You can always downgrade if you don't like it (just don't delete all your old maps!).

Please report any bugs you may encounter in this thread. I ran a few private beta releases to test some of the major changes, but there still might be some little bugs lurking. By posting them in this thread, you help others who may encounter similar problems, and I can fix them.

IMPORTANT: Maemo Mapper v2.0 uses a completely different map storage mechanism from Maemo Mapper v1.x. Maps are stored in GDBM databases instead of in a directory structure. You will not be able to re-use your old, 1.x maps in Maemo Mapper v2.x. I'm sorry, but you will have to abandon all of your old maps. If you prefer not to do this, you will have to stick with v1.x. Also, Maemo Mapper does not automatically delete your old maps, so if you want to reclaim that space, you should delete those maps manually.

Maemo Mapper comes with OpenStreet pre-configured, but if you're looking for alternative repositories, see the Maemo Mapper Repositories thread.

zerojay 2007-11-02 03:23

Re: Maemo Mapper v2.0

Congrats on the big release. About to install it. :)

Using View -> Go to -> Address... if I type in my home address, it pops up the autocomplete list, but won't actually let me choose it.

bunanson 2007-11-02 03:44

Thank you gnuite. Installed in N800 without a glitch. Runs very smooth. Have not checked all the functions. I like the POI, they are great. One small bug? After dl POI, if press OK, it will dl another round of POI exactly the same, and if press OK again it will dl another one, until cancel is pressed. Is that suppose to be? After 4 times, I have 4X of exactly POI in my database. Overall it is much sanppier. Thank you again. Will road test tomorrow when going to work. Because of this piece of great product, I may just buy one more 770 and keep it in the car.

bun

bunanson 2007-11-02 03:48

One more, POI problem. After dl dining, the second time, one wants to querry fuel. The category field will change, but the querry field remains the same as last querry, POI dl results in previous querry instead of the current one.

bun

bunanson 2007-11-02 04:05

770 installed without a glitch, thanks gnuite. Help menu comes up on 770 upon loading, but not the 800 version. Works similarly, just as beautiful. Like you said, the rotation is slightly slow on the 770, I turned it off, it works just as fine. Will road test in am,
thanks for a piece of master product.

bun

R-R 2007-11-02 05:12

Excellent release, it seems faster and all!
Great work :D

Now on the bug side, in the POI:

- The number of pages doesn't seem to affect the result, i always get 10 restaurants...

- zoom level seems to change the result even though it's based on a GPS location or end point.

- Some times i get different POI names for the same place, but i guess that's not a bug but a "feature" from your POI source :-)

- The category menu that goes into query can only fill query when it is empty, after that you have to delete it by hand and use the menu again... (minor but, might as well make this bug report useful ;)

- It doesn't deal with double entry (as stated below)

How is POI working actually? i seems to go to a cgi to your site? i get very interesting restaurant results in the area that i can confirm :-)

anyway, cheers again and thanks for everything!

Johnx 2007-11-02 05:24

First of all I just have to say how cool this is. Maemo Mapper is *the* killer app for the Nokia ITs and the added POI capabilities are the icing on the cake. The POI "download..." option works perfectly. I don't know if this was a feature in 1.4 as well but I just noticed the pixel doubling option for displaying maps. That's really nice for the glasses wearers among us. 8)

I'm having trouble adding POIs. I click and hold on the map, select location -> add POI ... . I then put in my information, click Ok and maemo-mapper closes. When I run it from the command line I get this this output as it dies:
Code:

*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x000538d8 ***
Aborted

I've tried reinstalling maemo-mapper, wiping my settings with gconf and also letting it create a new poi.db (instead of using the one from 1.4 that I had). Also, it doesn't matter what category I use, what type of string I put into "label" or whether I add a description or not.

I'm relatively comfortable at the command line so give me a heads up if there's any more information I can provide to help you track this down. :D

BarneyC 2007-11-02 05:55

Now I may be being dumb but is there a way of creating a POI database oneself on the desktop (say with a spreadsheet or something)?

I ask only because there are little or no POI's that I can find for New Zealand and wouldn't mind creating a whole heap.

Johnx 2007-11-02 06:22

It's interesting you should mention that, as that's something I've been playing around with. On Windows there's something called POILoader, but being a Linux user I've never played with it. On the Linux side (or Mac OS X) I've been playing with google maps and google earth and getting them to spit out a KML file, then using gpsbabel to make them into gpx files. If anyone is interested I'll start another thread documenting my steps, so we don't accidentally hijack this thread. :)

-John

consean 2007-11-02 11:06

Have install ok on N800, look great. Auto rotate works but I can not switch back to N up. Have tried the reset , clockwise and counter from the menu but the map does not rotate.

TPC 2007-11-02 13:17

I have the same problem as consean, auto rotate works, but when I turn off auto rotating I can't get it to reset to north as up, it just stays the way it last was. The buttons in the view -> rotate menu doesn't seem to work at all, except for the one that turns on and off auto rotating.

TPC 2007-11-02 13:29

Another bug I noticed, when you zoom out you can go to zoom level 16, altought it bumps you back to the previous one right away since its not a valid level, but it displays zoom level 16 in the upper right info message for a second, when it should stop at 15.

gnuite 2007-11-02 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 89629)
Congrats on the big release. About to install it. :)

Using View -> Go to -> Address... if I type in my home address, it pops up the autocomplete list, but won't actually let me choose it.

Unfortunately, due to the quirky nature of Hildon, you can't use the mouse to select choices from the auto-complete list. You have to use the D-Pad. I know, it sucks. :-/

gnuite 2007-11-02 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunanson (Post 89631)
Thank you gnuite. Installed in N800 without a glitch. Runs very smooth. Have not checked all the functions. I like the POI, they are great. One small bug? After dl POI, if press OK, it will dl another round of POI exactly the same, and if press OK again it will dl another one, until cancel is pressed. Is that suppose to be? After 4 times, I have 4X of exactly POI in my database.

After viewing and dismissing the "POI List" dialog, you are returned to the "Download POI" dialog in case you want to download more POI. You can change the Page number to get the next page of results, or you can create an entirely new query. Do you think it makes more sense to not go back to the "Download POI" dialog? I had it coded that way at first, but found myself wanting to download POI in batches, and it became a pain to keep going back to the menu....

gnuite 2007-11-02 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunanson (Post 89632)
One more, POI problem. After dl dining, the second time, one wants to querry fuel. The category field will change, but the querry field remains the same as last querry, POI dl results in previous querry instead of the current one.

When you select a category, the query field is only set if you don't have anything already in the query field. I thought it would be rude to replace the user's query. I guess I could check if the query was auto-generated and replace it if it were....

gnuite 2007-11-02 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-R (Post 89642)
- The number of pages doesn't seem to affect the result, i always get 10 restaurants...

Yes, you will always get 10 results. The page number just determines which set of 10 that you get. Page 1 is results 1-10, Page 2 is 11-20, etc.

Quote:

- zoom level seems to change the result even though it's based on a GPS location or end point.

I'll look into this. Zoom should not have an effect on the results.

Quote:

- Some times i get different POI names for the same place, but i guess that's not a bug but a "feature" from your POI source :-)

Yeah, I can't help you there, you'll see the same duplicates on Google Local. Sorry. :-/

Quote:

- The category menu that goes into query can only fill query when it is empty, after that you have to delete it by hand and use the menu again... (minor but, might as well make this bug report useful ;)

I didn't want to automatically replace any query that the user may have entered, so selecting a category only modifies the query field if it is empty.

Quote:

How is POI working actually? i seems to go to a cgi to your site? i get very interesting restaurant results in the area that i can confirm :-)

It's based on the same data that you get when you use Google Local. In fact, if you perform the same search on Google Local, you should get the same results.

gnuite 2007-11-02 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnx (Post 89646)
I'm having trouble adding POIs. I click and hold on the map, select location -> add POI ... . I then put in my information, click Ok and maemo-mapper closes. When I run it from the command line I get this this output as it dies:
Code:

*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x000538d8 ***
Aborted

Thanks for the bug report. I'll look into it.

Green_Star 2007-11-02 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPC (Post 89739)
I have the same problem as consean, auto rotate works, but when I turn off auto rotating I can't get it to reset to north as up, it just stays the way it last was. The buttons in the view -> rotate menu doesn't seem to work at all, except for the one that turns on and off auto rotating.

There should be some option like reset the view, that solves your problem to reset the view. I tried that number of times after turning off auto-rotate, it works like camp.

Good luck.

Thanks to gnuite for giving me this wonderful program.

gnuite 2007-11-02 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by consean (Post 89702)
Have install ok on N800, look great. Auto rotate works but I can not switch back to N up. Have tried the reset , clockwise and counter from the menu but the map does not rotate.

Hm. Woops? I think I may have broken those menu items. In the meantime, you can map the same actions to hardware keys. In fact, the new default setup for the D-Pad is the following:

Up: Reset Viewpoint
Down: Toggle Auto-Rotate
Left: Rotate counter-clockwise
Right: Rotate clockwise

gnuite 2007-11-02 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPC (Post 89747)
Another bug I noticed, when you zoom out you can go to zoom level 16, altought it bumps you back to the previous one right away since its not a valid level, but it displays zoom level 16 in the upper right info message for a second, when it should stop at 15.

Thanks. I'll fix that.

TA-t3 2007-11-02 13:47

I don't seem to be able to download ge satmaps at the moment (did refresh the download list, still the same). However ge street work. But I noticed that the 'Processing' bar always take a long time to finish, even though in ge street mode the picture is updated almost immediately.

penguinbait 2007-11-02 13:48

Awesome as always!!!

I installed this morning before long drive, ran under KDE, found GPS, downloaded maps from my 5.99 tmobile plan, worked flawlessly. I was confused and thought the maps were wrong area because of rotation :confused: But that was just my confusion about what was happening. I did not test anything significant, but all the features I did, worked without issue. The CPU usage during map rotation remained very low. This is an awesome update to an already terrific product. I still vote Maemo Mapper the best application ever written for a maemo linux device.

Thanks Gnuite!!!!

luca 2007-11-02 13:53

I forgot to turn off auto-dowload before leaving home, and as soon as I lost the connection I entered in an endless loop of connection attempts. Maybe it's just a maemo fault, but until I got a connection I couldn't access maemo mapper (or anything else for that matter).
I also tried a test route and the option to download maps following the route is grayed out.

TPC 2007-11-02 13:58

Sorry for making three posts almost in a row, but I noticed some other things. When scrolling outside the "edge" of the world it goes out then bumps you back in. It would have been nicer if it would have prevented you from going outside at all, as it takes a few noticable milliseconds to redraw the screen.

Also the menu buttons for scrolling the map doesn't work (altought the hardware keys work fine, and I don't see why anyone would want to use the menues for that as its much slower, so why have them in the menues?)

I was downloading maps for a large area (176mb in total) and while waiting I thought I'd check out the POI browser, but that seemed to freeze the download of the map, it was just sitting there not downloading anything, and the database file not getting any bigger if I du -h ed it in a terminal.

A few feature suggestions while I'm at it:
You should be able to select a few icons for POIs rather than just having a dot, would be much more usable.

Also could you make the description part of a POI longer than two lines? 5-8 lines or so would be optimal, I use maemo mapper for geocaching and store down alot of info about each location, and having to scroll after reading two lines is extremly annoying.

The screen rotation feature is useful, but when you're standing still and the GPS position is drifting its a bit annoying that it keeps rotating in random directions, especially in areas where the position isn't very accurate it could jump a few meters here and there every few seconds and it will rotate in different ways. If there could be some lower speed that it has to go above to count to rotate the screen that would be nice. Maybe you didn't notice because there is good accuracy in your area, but I'm so far north that EGNOS (europeean version of WAAS) doesn't work here, so it can be bad at times. Would be nice if the same lower speed limit applies to adding points to the route so it doesn't look like you're going around in circles when you're actually standing still. Having this limit just below walking speed would be optimal, maybe it could be a configurable value.

Thanks for the release by the way, downloading maps works greater and seems more reliable than the old version, and even thought I see what you mean with drawing the maps being slower (especially if its high resolution sattelite or aerial photos and rotation is on) its certainly worth the extra features.

I'm gonna go out and test it more thourougly now, and will report here on any additional bugs I find.

Edit: turns out that it wasn't in a row, a lot of people posted in between ;)

dormant 2007-11-02 14:01

Haven't downloaded yet - WiFi at work is broken so I have to wait to get home.

BIG THANKS to gnuite. I hope Nokia appreciate your work as much as we do.

sondjata 2007-11-02 14:02

Rotating Views! OH BO OH BOY OH BOY!!!

Thanks.

sondjata 2007-11-02 14:10

Definitely heavier on the CPU. ;-\

consean 2007-11-02 14:14

thanks;
have setup d-pad and every thing is ok

zeez 2007-11-02 14:24

Very nice work! Thanks a lot!!
One question so: Everytime i drag the map the "new" area that comes into view is black and does not get drawn before i stop dragging the map. This is the case even for areas where i have downloaded all maps before. Not sure if that is how it is suppoed to be, since dragging is a new feature...

jdr93 2007-11-02 14:42

gnuite, i like the new version, seems to work better in many respects, and seems more intuitive. on my n800 it seems quite fast, even with 'auto-rotate' turned on.

a couple of thoughts:

i would like to see the "make a new route" selection on the first page of the drop down menu.

i tried out a quick route-search last night right after i installed the program and saw that it had selected the longest and most out of the way route, but one which used a major road. i'd like a selection capability that finds the most direct route, or the fastest route.

i presume you mean 'interstate' when asking whether to use highways?

john

gnuite 2007-11-02 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 89771)
I forgot to turn off auto-dowload before leaving home, and as soon as I lost the connection I entered in an endless loop of connection attempts. Maybe it's just a maemo fault, but until I got a connection I couldn't access maemo mapper (or anything else for that matter).

Hm, that shouldn't be endless. I'll look into it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 89771)
I also tried a test route and the option to download maps following the route is grayed out.

You had a route, but in the "Manage Maps" dialog, the "Along Route" option is not enablable? I'll check it out.

Thanks!

penguinbait 2007-11-02 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sondjata (Post 89784)
Definitely heavier on the CPU. ;-\

I was downloading maps via bluetooth, and using rotational maps and never exceeded 20%, I would say that is darn good. Not sure what the numbers were on 1.4 but I will happily give 20% of CPU to get screen rotation.

gnuite 2007-11-02 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPC (Post 89774)
Sorry for making three posts almost in a row, but I noticed some other things. When scrolling outside the "edge" of the world it goes out then bumps you back in. It would have been nicer if it would have prevented you from going outside at all, as it takes a few noticable milliseconds to redraw the screen.

Good idea. I'll see if I can fix that.

Quote:

Also the menu buttons for scrolling the map doesn't work (altought the hardware keys work fine, and I don't see why anyone would want to use the menues for that as its much slower, so why have them in the menues?)

I broke a lot of menu items before releasing v2.0. I'll fix them and have them working in v2.0.1.

Quote:

I was downloading maps for a large area (176mb in total) and while waiting I thought I'd check out the POI browser, but that seemed to freeze the download of the map, it was just sitting there not downloading anything, and the database file not getting any bigger if I du -h ed it in a terminal.

Hmm... Strange... I'll look into it.

Quote:

You should be able to select a few icons for POIs rather than just having a dot, would be much more usable.

You can use your own icons, but there is no user interface for it. You just have to put a .jpg file (can be a PNG, but it needs to have the .jpg extension) in the same directory as the POI database, and with the same name as the category for which you want to use a different icon.

Quote:

Also could you make the description part of a POI longer than two lines? 5-8 lines or so would be optimal, I use maemo mapper for geocaching and store down alot of info about each location, and having to scroll after reading two lines is extremly annoying.

There's not a lot of room in that dialog to show more than two lines at a time, but I can try tightening up the dialog a little.

Quote:

The screen rotation feature is useful, but when you're standing still and the GPS position is drifting its a bit annoying that it keeps rotating in random directions, especially in areas where the position isn't very accurate it could jump a few meters here and there every few seconds and it will rotate in different ways. If there could be some lower speed that it has to go above to count to rotate the screen that would be nice. Maybe you didn't notice because there is good accuracy in your area, but I'm so far north that EGNOS (europeean version of WAAS) doesn't work here, so it can be bad at times. Would be nice if the same lower speed limit applies to adding points to the route so it doesn't look like you're going around in circles when you're actually standing still. Having this limit just below walking speed would be optimal, maybe it could be a configurable value.

Actually, there is a lower bound on the auto-rotation. You have to have at least some speed in order for the auto-rotation to work. I can provide an option to increase this minimum, if that would help.

gnuite 2007-11-02 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeez (Post 89790)
Very nice work! Thanks a lot!!
One question so: Everytime i drag the map the "new" area that comes into view is black and does not get drawn before i stop dragging the map. This is the case even for areas where i have downloaded all maps before. Not sure if that is how it is suppoed to be, since dragging is a new feature...

Yes, that's how it has to work, because redrawing the screen takes some time. It can't redraw for each point at which you drag, so it waits until you're done dragging before it redraws.

gnuite 2007-11-02 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdr93 (Post 89804)
i would like to see the "make a new route" selection on the first page of the drop down menu.

Why not use the menu? In order to create a route from the context menu, Maemo Mapper needs to know where you'd like to start from. You can start from the tap location itself, from a POI near the tap location, or from a waypoint near the tap location.

Quote:

i tried out a quick route-search last night right after i installed the program and saw that it had selected the longest and most out of the way route, but one which used a major road. i'd like a selection capability that finds the most direct route, or the fastest route.

The directions are the same as would be provided by Google Maps. Does Google Maps offer you the same long route?

Quote:

i presume you mean 'interstate' when asking whether to use highways?

It means whatever Google Maps thinks it means. I think it means interstate highways.

Alvin 2007-11-02 14:58

I did the Upgrade from Application manager. Everything went smoth it seemed.
I like the new version so far.

One thing I noticed.
For the map repositories that I had downloaded mapd for already - when I used those, I saw a message about a legacy maps and it created a file like GSat.db
For a map repository that had not been used before, but had the repository set up - just no maps. I didn't see the legacy message (OK) but the file it created was called just VEStreet
The file I expected to be named VEStreet.db
(no big deal I just expected the .db extension.

DingerX 2007-11-02 15:04

Hey, way cool, and thanks a bunch for your continued good work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuite (Post 89821)
Yes, that's how it has to work, because redrawing the screen takes some time. It can't redraw for each point at which you drag, so it waits until you're done dragging before it redraws.

I understand the problem. Here's a question: what would be the impact of drawing "screen" nine times the current size, and showing only the center part, so that when you dragged slowly, the black would not immediately appear? Or perhaps drawing the surrounding parts from a lower resolution upscaled? That way, slight movements of the screen wouldn't necessitate a redraw.
The black isn't fun, especially when we're just making slight adjustments; if it's necessary, we'll understand.

zeez 2007-11-02 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingerX (Post 89828)
Hey, way cool, and thanks a bunch for your continued good work.

I understand the problem. Here's a question: what would be the impact of drawing "screen" nine times the current size, and showing only the center part, so that when you dragged slowly, the black would not immediately appear? Or perhaps drawing the surrounding parts from a lower resolution upscaled? That way, slight movements of the screen wouldn't necessitate a redraw.
The black isn't fun, especially when we're just making slight adjustments; if it's necessary, we'll understand.

I agree. As much fun as dragging is. It just looked better before. I mean now you even get the black borders if you move around using the d-pad. That wasn't the case before. Still i can't wait for that damn FedEx guy to deliver my GPS so i can finally try all the features ;)

luca 2007-11-02 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuite (Post 89823)
The directions are the same as would be provided by Google Maps. Does Google Maps offer you the same long route?

I've asked in another thread, I know it may be next to impossible to parse, and I reckon maemo mapper is very good as it is now, but http://www.viamichelin.com offers more knobs (click on the options link, you have at least "recommended by michelin", "quickest", "shortest", "economical" and "discovery", as well as options for selecting pedestrian/bike route and type of road) and it's usually more accurate in this part of the world.
It has an "export on gps" link, that gives you an xml file, but I think it's next to useless (in my test route it only gives the first and last point coordinates, probably because the viamichelin gps can do the routing by itself).

TPC 2007-11-02 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuite (Post 89817)
You can use your own icons, but there is no user interface for it. You just have to put a .jpg file (can be a PNG, but it needs to have the .jpg extension) in the same directory as the POI database, and with the same name as the category for which you want to use a different icon.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Quote:

There's not a lot of room in that dialog to show more than two lines at a time, but I can try tightening up the dialog a little.

Well, anything would help.

Quote:

Actually, there is a lower bound on the auto-rotation. You have to have at least some speed in order for the auto-rotation to work. I can provide an option to increase this minimum, if that would help.

Yes, that would be helpful.

Another bug:
If I don't use auto download on the map and go to the middle of sweden, and go to manage maps to download a map for the area manually, and just press ok, it won't download a map for the area, but rather one quite a bit west of the location, in the atlantic. If you change the "E" to a "W" in the Longitude for both top left and bottom right it will download for the right area however. This bug was there in 1.4 as well, and possibly earlier versions. Its easier to see at the more zoomed in zoom levels, as if you go too far out you might get the area you are trying to get as well as the individual images cover larger areas. I think this affects a large portion of europe, possibly everything east of the point of the W/E switch. If you use auto download it will get the correct location each time.