maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My Nokia n810: Once year later (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27079)

brontide 2009-02-23 17:00

My Nokia n810: One year later

I got my n810 about 1 year ago and spent a furious 6 months in the trenches working with the device only to fall off the radar last October.

What happened to me? I got busy. After returning from Berlin quite dumbstruck at, in my opinion, was the continued ignorance of Nokia to the development and marketing of the Internet Tablets, life happened. I had several work related conferences and presentations that consumed my time and energy. Each day that went by it became harder and hard to jump back into my old life and work on the n810. Adding to my already busy life was the fact that we are preparing for the arrival of our second child and there are always things that need to be done ( we are 41 weeks at this point ). As a communications device I decided to break out the n810 once again as a user so I could have access to post to Facebook and Livejournal while I was in the hospital without having to dig out my laptop. Hey, it's what the device was designed for, no?

Once again I picked up the device, started from 0, downloaded the latest firmware, applied any updates that were waiting enabled Maemo Extras and installed a few choice applications like Canola, Mplayer, Dial Central, and a few games. I setup my BT phone for internet, Modest access to gmail account, one WPA-PSK network, and one open wifi network. I synchronized my photos from Picasa and made a few tweaks to the web browser. Thankfully a few of the tweaks I offered up to Nokia did make it into this release so a few of my usual tricks I could skip. Nothing earth shattering and since then I have already run into many annoying bugs, bugs that were reported long ago.

1. Modest will just stop functioning for no apparent reason. You have to CLI kill modest or reboot the device to clear this error
2. Modest does not mark messages as read. How Nokia continues to screw up such basic functionality in an IMAP client astounds me
3. Networking gets "confused" in a low signal area and drains the battery. The WiFi signal indicator blinks and you can neither connect or disconnect and it drains the battery in an hour or two.

As I sit and stare at a, one again, battery drained n810 I figured I would put some of my thoughts down on paper. I really wanted this device to be as claimed, but time and time again, just as I start to feel comfortable with the device it stabs me in the back. In good conscious I don't know if I can even sell the device to someone else, lest the bad karma come back and haunt me. So right now it's an expensive paperweight until I can get back to my charger. I know I'm not the only one facing these issues as a quick check of ITt revealed the usual litany of complaints. The first two bugs are clearly in bugs.maemo.org as well, although I can't seem to find the last one even though I'm sure it's been brought up in the past. I don't care how much utility a device has, if it's prone to sudden and unexpected failure it's useless to me. I believe I can "work around" all of these bugs, I just need to turn off network auto-association and Modest auto-checking, but at that point I have lost a large amount of functionality that seems integral with the device.

Chinook was better about the not draining the battery, but the inability for the built in email to work with Gmail makes it a non-starter in my opinion.

Surveying the landscape I see that the n8x0 series is now EOL with even the WiMax devices discontinued as of January. So right now we have no Internet Tablet devices actively in production while the market literally is evolving at a breakneck speed around Nokia. Looking forward we have Fremantle, which appears to be taking the same recipe from earlier devices with updated libraries no doubt but a continued, and futile, attempt to "go it alone" on the firmware in order to try and secure their little maemo niche. Community development is the one bright star in all of this, always attempting to improve on what is broken or should have been possible in the first place. It's not to say that I haven't seen some amazing things that can be done with a IT by people who are bound and determined to their ends but, as a user, that doesn't help me much when the device won't turn on.

My personal opinion is that Nokia has taken a 4 year head start on the market and has managed to go nowhere with it.

Looking outwards we have now dozens of devices that are competing in the same market space as the IT. While everyone must decide what is right for them, it's hard to say with a straight face that Nokia has done anything significant to compete with these devices. In many ways these devices tend to be inferior to the n8x0 in on facet or another, but are, as a whole, seeing much better uptake in the marketplace. What we know of the new device from Nokia seems to indicate the fact that this will be the most expensive not-a-phone mobile device that you carry.

Looking inwards I see that the SDK is still as frustrating as ever. We have a pre-alpha Freemantle SDK still based on scratchbox1 and all of the legacy 32bit issues that go along with it. We still have a device that focuses on development of custom, basically one-off, ARM/Linux/GTK applications in order to fully utilize the system. I've said it before and I'll say it again, developers need a way to quickly get started developing and scratchbox1 is not it. It still appears as though ( I could be wrong here ) that Nokia is gating off parts of the build and we end up with things like sub #100 bugs still outstanding. Some of the most impressive changes in technology continue to elude maemo including gears/html5 offline support and the benefits that could bring to the platform.

Where does that leave me. Honestly I will probably release my unfinished, but functional, Picasa sync application. It works reasonably well with Canola at this point and maybe someone can turn it into a real application. I doubt I will do any other maemo development moving forward. I still have a number of ideas for Grand Central tools, but I will develop them in python and someone else can port them over if they wish. Everything I see says that the mythical n900 will be more of the same, a great idea that is perennially hamstrung by non-existent marketing and poor firmware. I love the community here and around the n810, but in the end if I'm not a user I'm not interested.

As a sucker for punishment I will probably pick up the n810 after a few more months have gone by to see if any of these issues have been fixed.

I am off to the hospital soon with my wife and my n810 will not be joining me.

dbec10 2009-02-23 17:17

Re: My Nokia n810: Once year later

Now, when a senior member and programmer can write an article like that. We know we have a problem.

parazitus 2009-02-23 17:20

great post! :)

Tabster 2009-02-23 17:23

I agree with most of what you say. sometimes this tablet is infuriating...

But the last time I went to the hospital (and business trip, vacation, etc.) I found it very useful just for keeping up with my emails and for casual browsing.

But, for a device that had so much promise, I am also disappointed with the limited use I have for it now.

Good luck with child #2

dbec10 2009-02-23 17:30

In my opinon they really should scrap maemo and adapt S60/Symbiam with a different interface.

The only issue I can see is that the outside programmers will not be able to do what they want with it. However, after 4 years with maemo...

Capt'n Corrupt 2009-02-23 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by brontide (Post 266543)
My personal opinion is that Nokia has taken a 4 year head start on the market and has managed to go nowhere with it.

Only a sith deals in absolutes...

YARR!
}:^)~

Cappie

debernardis 2009-02-23 18:06

Just my 2c.
I'm not a programmer, unfortunately, but I'm a fond user of NIT's (and Nokia communicators, btw).
My device is lovingly kept in shape, sporting an old but dependable chinook firmware, which prevents it from the reported problems of diablo, and gives me no thoughts. I bring it to work, and in journeys, and back home, and it keeps working as a faithful net donkey.
I do monthly backups of the rootfs, the debian chroot and the data fs (fat) and so I'm protected against possible glitches. Sudden full discharges happen even if rarely, and it's generally some flash app in the browser kept running.

Life's good :)

I bet you're suffering from the APPITGM syndrome (Anticipated Post-Partuum Depression In The Geek Male), Relax, enjoy, and when the new baby has settled home, consider a downgrading - it could be the right move.

Benson 2009-02-23 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbec10 (Post 266555)
In my opinon they really should scrap maemo and adapt S60/Symbiam with a different interface.

I'd hope they at least spell Symbian right if they do that, and if they use a different interface, it wouldn't be S60/Symbian, it would be <different interface>/Symbian.

Quote:

The only issue I can see is that the outside programmers will not be able to do what they want with it. However, after 4 years with maemo...
Yes, the only issue is that they would be giving up what the whole IT experiment was about, so it wouldn't fall into the IT lineup. It would be something like an N97.

brashley46 2009-02-23 18:30

Heh. Brontide reminds me of my two years with Zauruses. It is frustrating watching a device with so much potential go nowhere. But I'm still having fun with my N800, and by the time it's worn out I'll be able to get something else I hope.

dbec10 2009-02-23 19:28

Yes it would be like an N97. And you know what... When you turn it on...

It would work.

tso 2009-02-23 19:39

seems im to casual a user, as i cant really relate. im quite happy with my tablet...

GeneralAntilles 2009-02-23 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbec10 (Post 266590)

It would work.

Silly hyperbole aside (my tablet works just fine when I turn it on), why don't you just buy an N97 and move on? If you hate Maemo so much, why use it?

Linux and the reasonably open platform are the reasons most people here are here, take that away and you're not left with much.

qole 2009-02-23 20:53

Sadly, I was right about Brontide throwing up his hands and giving up on the tablets.

I have to agree with him about Modest, however. I just do not understand how so many long-outstanding bugs remain unaddressed with that app. Modest is sufficiently "core" to the Maemo system that when it keeps crashing the desktop (as it does in my case on one of my tablets) or randomly locking up, it makes the whole system feel "flaky". It is also sufficiently "core" that it should have received bug-fixing priority long ago.

As for the "confused networking" problem, I haven't experienced that. I have the opposite problem; my tablets connect to open APs too willingly. I have to put my tablet in "Offline mode" when letting my daughter watch movies while riding in the bike trailer, because it will connect to an open AP while we wait at a stoplight, and the notification dialog and subsequent system slowdown as all the apps try to update over the 'net will mess up the video.

My biggest complaint about the batteries of my N800s is that the battery meter will read 100% when I leave the house, but then, after a short time of doing some demanding task (most recently, this happened when using a high-speed GPS unit, and later when watching a video using the built-in speakers), the battery level will drop precipitously and the tablet will start panicking about "low battery". I'm never sure, when the tablet is in this state, whether it will shutdown on me or whether it will keep going. But if I stop doing the demanding task, and let the tablet "rest" for a while with the screen dark, the battery level rebounds and everything is fine...

Personal note:

Brontide, come back to the community. Admit you're a geek, shrug off Nokia's "Big Company" blunders, and enjoy your tablet.

And even if you can't use it as your carry-around Internet device, there's lots of ways to keep the tablet from gathering dust.

If nothing else, many of us dads have found that the tablets make a great toy for the kids. My kid loves watching videos on the tablet, and she likes playing with liqbase, drawing a picture then going to the physics sim and making all of the pictures bump into each other. Once I showed her the basic steps of going back and forth between the drawing screen and the physics sim, that can keep her happy for a long time... So there's one way to keep the tablet from becoming a paperweight.

Another use I've found recently is leaving one of my tablets beside the phone, plugged into the charger and sitting at the DialCentral keypad. It is a great way for my wife (or others) to quickly dial a long distance number and get a free call.

The N800s make great bedside FM radio alarm clocks, and I'm sure the 810 can be used as an Internet radio alarm clock.

Oh, and I suggest investing in an inexpensive 4AA battery pack or spare Nokia charger cable, and carrying it around in your bag. (shrug)

dbec10 2009-02-23 21:15

I'm not saying the tablet is a crap device. I've actually purchased one. (On it's way).

My point is that Nokia's been developing this platform for over 3 years and we are working with the 3rd generation device right now but we are still using essentially the same device with some of the same bugs.

I do understand that because of the model that Nokia is using (open source/voluntary development) that some problems will remain unless persons are able to fix them. However my suggestion is that perhaps Nokia should release a device that uses the Symbian OS rather than keep trying with Maemo since, as we can see other manufacturers have (just about) caught up to it and may be getting ready to pass.

Open source is great but looking down to road. I expect that this model will cost them market share as devices are released by other manufacturers that work consistently with all of the features that some people are looking to the tablet for.

I've bought the tablet because it has the features that I want and at a good price.

mikkov 2009-02-23 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbec10 (Post 266618)
However my suggestion is that perhaps Nokia should release a device that uses the Symbian OS rather than keep trying with Maemo since, as we can see other manufacturers have (just about) caught up to it and may be getting ready to pass.

Haven't you noticed crapload of symbian devices that Nokia has released? And N97 is basically a tablet with symbian.

GeraldKo 2009-02-23 21:31

I miss Brontide. I learned a lot from him (you) early on when I first got into this Tablet thing.

I have to agree at least from a business perspective: Nokia blew an early lead. My girlfriend, who's smart and capable but not at all a geek, swapped an N800 for an iPod Touch, and it's much easier, more useful, and more fun for her.

I'm willing to screw around to take advantage of the things that my N800 can do. But it seems to me Nokia could have satisfied the type of people on this forum (and while we certainly aren't clones of one another, to a degree we are "a type") and the much larger group of potential users out there who just want an Internet Tablet that works well for a pretty obvious list of things. (Easy surfing, PIM, podcasts, music, ... you know the list, pretty much, even if we wouldn't have perfect Venn overlap.)

Brontide, I wish you would come back.

Benson 2009-02-23 21:35

Quote:

I'm not saying the tablet is a crap device. I've actually purchased one. (On it's way).

My point is that Nokia's been developing this platform for over 3 years and we are working with the 3rd generation device right now but we are still using essentially the same device with some of the same bugs.

I do understand that because of the model that Nokia is using (open source/voluntary development) that some problems will remain unless persons are able to fix them. However my suggestion is that perhaps Nokia should release a device that uses the Symbian OS rather than keep trying with Maemo since, as we can see other manufacturers have (just about) caught up to it and may be getting ready to pass.

They have released such devices -- the current model is called N97. I'd bet they go to OMAP3 (and hence 800x480) in their next N97-like release, just as the next Internet Tablet will, but I think the lower resolution was necessary to avoid the separate-controller compromises in the N8x0 (i.e., to get good framerate and TV-out). Why shouldn't they do both, as originally planned -- continue with their S60 devices for mainstream sales, and also continue the tablets as a development program for the next generation of mainstream devices? Canning development of future products is not usually considered the way to stay ahead of competition...

And I don't see devices releases around the time of the N810 beating the N810; I don't see devices out now or known to be released soon that beat the RX-51. So while I can see "see other manufacturers have (just about) caught up to it", I can't see that they "may be getting ready to pass." Since this market is not dominated by yearly releases like, say, the car industry, it's no surprise that other manufacturers releasing between Nokia's releases would catch up; unless they can pull clearly ahead for some time before Nokia's next release, though, they're not much threat (in this sector). I haven't seen a single competitor with a clearly advanced product.

Quote:

Open source is great but looking down to road. I expect that this model will cost them market share as devices are released by other manufacturers that work consistently with all of the features that some people are looking to the tablet for.
If those people think all Nokia makes are tablets, and are unaware of the phone lineup, they have the exact opposite of the typical ignorance I see. I think this particular sort of underinformed consumer is rare enough to be neglected.

epage 2009-02-23 21:43

I hope the rest of your wife's pregnancy goes well.

Luckily the tablet works for me, my work flow doesn't hit the serious issues and I can withstand the annoyances and lack of polish since my value system puts a lot of emphasis on the freedom of the device. Would I recommend it to anyone? Unfortunately not which disappoints me for multiple reasons including what great community members we miss out on and what it might mean for the lifetime of that series of devices. I found it quite enlightening to use an iPod Touch for a while, not for gaining more reasons to gloat over it, but to get an idea of how far we are from what we could achieve if we learned from their best while keeping our best.

Good luck with things
ps Here and there I'm still doing some work on DialCentral so I'd love to hear the ideas you have.

GeneralAntilles 2009-02-23 22:12

Quote:

You're speaking from what intimate experience with the platform, exactly?

heavyt 2009-02-23 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by epage (Post 266629)
ps Here and there I'm still doing some work on DialCentral so I'd love to hear the ideas you have.

As an end user it is nice to hear you will still be doing some work on DialCentral, thank you. :)

daperl 2009-02-23 22:25

i'm enjoying my tablets more and more every day...

heavyt 2009-02-23 22:31

brontide, thanks for your work on DialCentral.

Lets hope Nokia ¨regroups¨ with the release of the next Nxxx.

fragos 2009-02-24 00:03

I've never owned a device that didn't from my personal perspective have flaws or a lack of some things I'd like it to do -- my N810 is no exception. However the negativism that some seem to have amazes me. Particularly when that negativism is for things is based on personal conviction. I've learned to adapt my personal processes to the ability of my tools. Although I'd love to see others provide me with more of what I want for no charge I accept a device for what I can achieve with it. I've seen improvements in a number of applications over time. Those that to me like mcalendar were unworkable I replaced with other choices, e.g. gpe-calendar and erminig. No doubt others swear by mcalendar because it meets their expectations. We're all different -- thank God we are. I plan to continue using my N810 for some time until it ceases to meet my needs or the geek in me takes total control over some new wizbang that catches my fancy.

switchfiend 2009-02-24 01:02

I'll throw in my two cents (which aren't worth any more than that, as everyone's opinion varies).

I bought an n800 pretty much right when it came out. I loved the idea of the device. I didn't really have much practical use for it, but I liked screwing around with it.

When the n810 came out, I bought that the first day it was available. After a week, I sold it and went back to my n800. The two main reasons for upgrading (GPS and the built-in keyboard) weren't appealing after I used it (the GPS took ages to get a signal, and even then I didn't really have a use for it; and the keyboard was dismal compared to the bluetooth folding keyboard I had bought for my n800).

Anyway, a little while ago I recharged my n800, reflashed it (in the hope that maybe the reason for it being so painfully slow was because I had too much crap on it), and tried to come up with a use for it again.

At the end of the day, this board is filled with people who have come up with cool uses for their tablets. They range from incredibly geeky, to more "average-user" (although I think there are more of the former).

When the next tablet is released, assuming it is what the leaked information seems to indicate, I will totally get one. Will I use it...I have no idea. Such is the life of a technology-fetishist.

My only real gripes with the tablet are:

1.) It doesn't really seem to know what it wants to be. If the idea is just to have a linux device in a small formfactor, then I guess it's successful. As an "internet tablet", I don't really think it does this exceptionally well. As others have gone on about, the email client is abysmal, and I really find the web browser to be painfully slow (at least initially with connecting to a page, after it starts to load, it's not so bad).

I still think the device is useful though, and a lot of really dedicated, really smart people have worked their asses of to make it more useful. I think that's awesome, and frankly, why I continue to like this platform.

2.) I really don't think it's well suited to be a media player. Audio is fine, I suppose, but even after two years of fudging with settings and re-encodings, I find video playback on the device to be pretty sub-optimal. Not terrible mind you, and not bad considering it's not the primary use for the device, but I've found you can either have video which has a good framerate but looks pixelated, or looks crisp but drops frames.

I've encoded literally hundreds of video files over the years trying to maximize this, and it really seems to be a limit of the hardware (hence the cpu being pegged as soon as video playback starts). I have hope that the new device will have dedicated hardware for video playback, much like my ipod.

Anyway, I'm rambling..

Right now my tablet has been relegated to running Mauku full screen and sitting on my desk as a twitter screen. It excels at this task. I hope that when the next tablet comes out, I can come up with a better use for such a cool device.

fictitious_muskrat 2009-02-24 03:37

I just bought an n810, mostly to replace my Zaurus SL6000L. The Zaurus is fine -- it's the most reliable device I've owned -- but batteries are hard to come by.

I've been very happy with the n810:
the interface is snappy;
it plays audio and video fine (for the latter, I just used Handbrake's default iPod-lowres settings, but switched the bitrate to 350 kbps);
caching maps with maemo mapper is great, and waiting for a GPS fix doesn't bother me so much;
carrying around thousands of pdfs of scholarly articles is incredible;
having rsync, ssh, and vim is a joy -- and being able to plug it in using the usb cable and mount the memory cards is also a joy;
claws mail is fine, I think -- though I haven't tried sending mail yet.

All I miss from my Zaurus is a flexible audio recorder, but I haven't looked around carefully. (The Zaurus recorder lets you adjust lots of settings.)

Really, vim, pdf viewer, decent html viewer, ssh, and rsync make me a very happy camper.

Maybe my standards are low!

Best wishes, brontide!!!
--Helen's Dad

Rassilon7 2009-02-24 05:09

I've got to say that I was struggling between the iPod Touch, iPhone and the N810, I went for the Nokia and have not looked back.

I would ask for better (existent) PIM but other than that it does everything that I need and more.

I can't believe that you have a gripe with the battery, mine does me for a day and I have been really impressed.

I agree that they could market the device better, people on the street don't seem to know about it at all and yet everyone that I show it to love it.

Steve

Thesandlord 2009-02-24 06:29

Ok, personally, I am not a programmer, though both my parents are. I just LOVE to tinker and mess with stuff. The tablets are great for doing that (out of necessity is another mater). However, when I just want something to work, it does not. This is the worst part about the tablets.

For example, I can do cool and awesome things like stream my camera wirelessly, switch on my computer when i connect to the home router, etc...

However, when I just want to GPS myself home, I have to wait for a signal, pray to god nothing crashes, pray that openstreet is reliable, and that is just one task.

When I bought this device, my dad offered me the iPhone. At that time, there was no app store. I knew that the iPhone would be more polished, but I trusted in the community to make the N810 better. Now, it seems that the community is slowly pushing forward, because they have a 1000lbs brick holding them back. We may laugh that the iPhone has to be hacked to run a bluetooth keyboard, but they laugh right back.

Nokia just cut too many corners, and the community is just doing what it can to fill the gaps. Personally, it is really sad, because you guys are working just as hard as everyone else, and there is really nothing to show...

:(

Rassilon7 2009-02-24 06:48

Yes the GPS fix can be slow, but once it locks on it is fine. I use Googlemaps and they have always been fine too.

"and there is really nothing to show..." That's not true, every week a program gets updated and the NiT improves. The community is constantly refining and improving this product.

What can the iPhone do that we can't? (except sync contacts/calendar) If the NiT was closed off like the iPhone then it could be more polished, I prefer less sheen and more usability.

Thesandlord 2009-02-24 07:19

When I meant "nothing to show," I am not talking about updates. I am saying that the number of completed programs, programs that are "finished," are lacking. Many people are like "It works, so I am done." Its because there is just so much to be done on the tablets, that its a good thing and a bad thing.

P.S. I don't have a bluetooth internet, so I have to use navit with openstreet and its routing engine.

tso 2009-02-24 08:13

ah, the "eternal beta" issue...

remind me, is gmail still tagged as beta by google?

Un27Pee 2009-02-24 10:57

Yes but better and better sort of !!!!,

Well i am not a linux geek but i have learn a lot about this os since using the tablet, the command line was a strange language to me, we have nevertheless learnt much from the developers in this forum and thanks Brontide and the rest for your input to this forum, i know you will finally show up again and hope nokia will improve as well on this platform due to its openness for development.

tso 2009-02-24 11:07

heh, what i was trying to say that releases (that is, the kind one see on windows or osx) are artifacts of a proprietary mentality.

basically, the releases are just as much a way to say the company need a new influx of money as says anything about new features or bugfixes...

TA-t3 2009-02-24 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 266612)
My biggest complaint about the batteries of my N800s is that the battery meter will read 100% when I leave the house, but then, after a short time of doing some demanding task (most recently, this happened when using a high-speed GPS unit, and later when watching a video using the built-in speakers), the battery level will drop precipitously and the tablet will start panicking about "low battery". I'm never sure, when the tablet is in this state, whether it will shutdown on me or whether it will keep going. But if I stop doing the demanding task, and let the tablet "rest" for a while with the screen dark, the battery level rebounds and everything is fine...

What you see there is typical behaviour for a warn-out battery. My phones all end up like that after a while. Fully charged, one incoming call, then it drops to battery warning level but rebounces afterwards.
Are your N800 batteries old? My battery is 2 years old and it's starting to feel its age. It's not yet at the up/down/up bounce level yet though, however I'll probably replace the battery this year.

brontide 2009-02-24 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 266612)

Do you have the "High Speed Kernel"?

When I ran those patches the battery was unstable when it got low. I would get a low battery and then a crash, usually before I could stop the offending activity ( Video playback usually ).

As for the other comments I would say I have lost my stomach for items that cost hundreds of dollars that end up a time sink and/or a distraction for a child.

I'm not saying people don't use these every day to complete useful tasks, but I'm saying the device is not useful to me if it's unreliable.

The wife is sleeping right now and they are going to be starting the pictocin soon.

alukin 2009-02-24 18:51

IMHO, core problem with maemo is small audience oriented only on Nxxx devices. Open source project will gain success when more people attracted to development. So netbooks as a "brothers of Nxxx" may give a lot more to tablets. Nokia and Canonical started co-operation in this field and I think we'll see soon good results.

qole 2009-02-24 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by brontide (Post 266771)
Do you have the "High Speed Kernel"?

When I ran those patches the battery was unstable when it got low. I would get a low battery and then a crash, usually before I could stop the offending activity ( Video playback usually ).

Yes, I'm using the highspeed / rotation kernel from Jott's site. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about that being the problem...

Quote:

As for the other comments I would say I have lost my stomach for items that cost hundreds of dollars that end up a ... distraction for a child.

... heh, wait 'till your kids get older and then tell me how many hundreds of dollars you've spent "distracting" them ;) :)

Getting the shopping done while your kid sits quietly watching Thomas and Friends instead of pulling random items off of the shelves and dumping them in the cart: priceless.

Quote:

The wife is sleeping right now and they are going to be starting the pictocin soon.

Exciting!

fragos 2009-02-24 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesandlord (Post 266725)
When I meant "nothing to show," I am not talking about updates. I am saying that the number of completed programs, programs that are "finished," are lacking. Many people are like "It works, so I am done." Its because there is just so much to be done on the tablets, that its a good thing and a bad thing.

Such is the difference between commercial development and open source. Open source developers can start a project as a learning exorsize or just because they individualy needed some feature. This isn't their day job and with very few exceptions they aren't paid to do this work. Packages are released when something works not when they're complete. Consider how many have version numbers starting with 0.something. In all fairness, complaining about what people share for free with others seems a little out of line. Don't forget that it frequently takes Microsoft 3 or more commercial releases before their products, which you pay for, start to be truely useful. As a consumer of open source software you have some choices. One is to get the code, join the team and work on the project yourself and the other is to donate to those that are.

fpp 2009-02-24 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbec10 (Post 266590)
It would work.

Well, I've never used a N97, but if it's anything like my E51, your description is accurate : you turn it on, and it works, and it does many mundane but useful things. For a while. Then some of these mundane useful things (like bluetooth tethering) just stop working. So you turn it off. And back on again. Till next time...

My N8x0 does somewhat less useful, but also less mundane, more varied and more fun things. Core stuff stays, a lot more comes and go. People invent all sorts of crazy uses and apps for it, but don't try to to scrounge 2$ from you for the latest pizza-ordering app.

Oh, and I almost never reboot it, as long as I remember to keep it juiced up. It doesn't tend to forget how to do bluetooth tethering and such.

All in all, I have no difficulty defining what my tablet is : it's not a phone. A phone is a modem that also does a few indispensable but boring work-related chores, like calendaring and sync. The tablet is what uses the modem for all the interesting stuff...

dbec10 2009-02-24 23:48

This illustrates part of the reason these types threads get long and boring. With people constantly saying something does not work while others say it does. And on and on it goes with neither side giving in or compromising.

The N810 is a great device. We all agree on that. However there are some things that do not work and it varies from person to person application to application, even moment by moment. Sometimes it's because we set it up wrong other times it's the application fault. But the fact reamains that if it works great for me that does not mean it will work great for you. Because you are frustrated or happy does not mean I should be also. And if I think the device needs some more work or a new direction then that's my opinion.

We are all just voicing our individual opinions based on our individual experiences or what we have individually observed.

fragos further explains what I was saying before. Since a lot of the development is done for free it takes a long time to get software that will work every time on the majority of devices rather than on a few that are configured in a manner which is "friendly" to the other installed applications. When other people download the application onto their tablets, and the environment is not so friendly then you get problems. It's expected. It's a given in software development that there will be crashes. So I'm not expecting a perfect device. I'm just saying that there are too many beta applications out there that will crash in unfriendly envirnments. Which I understand why that is so. So I'm not blaming the programmers.

Sure it will not impact Nokia's market share much since that is based mostly or entirely on phone devices. But it will certainly get them a couple hundred unhappy tablet users. If they had a symbian based tablet (not phone) then they would have a few hundred happy customers.

They can even have two; the consumer version running symbian and the beta (under development) version running maemo.

Hope everyone understands what I'm trying to say.

to fpp:
Interestingly enough I also own an E51 and it works... Perfectly... Everytime.

brontide 2009-02-25 02:21

And now for something completely different. Our baby boy was born at 2:19pm EST after a mostly boring labor and delivery.

Quinton Wilfred

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_N9mM9r1k-x8/Sa...4-IMG_1238.jpg