maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Will T-Mobile USA directly offer the N900? If so, when and for how much? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31300)

romanianusa 2009-09-04 21:43

Will T-Mobile USA directly offer the N900? If so, when and for how much?

Ok i have problem. The N900 unlocked that you can pre-order from NokiaUSA. What are people getting it for?? Obviously only T-mobile work on that device...but why are people so certain that Tmobile allow that phone on their 3G network?? If not, isn't that a waste of money to buy it and not be able to use the 3G??

I heard Tmobile has something called Pre-paid Sidekick that charged you $1/day for unlimited data and text messages. But it only work for locked phone and NOT UNLOCKED?? So if I were to order the N900, how do i know they allow it??

I think the problem is that Tmobile want to cripple N900 so that internet call like Skype call...ect..is not allowed because if people can call using internet, then there is no point of getting voice service...everybody will switch to pre-paid Sidekick. But i think that's where the future is headed. Voice data service will be obsolete in favor of internet phone call.

MountainX 2009-09-04 21:51

Re: What is the point of getting N900 when Tmobile not allowing it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by romanianusa (Post 321769)
I heard Tmobile has something called Pre-paid Sidekick that charged you $1/day for unlimited data and text messages. But it only work for locked phone and NOT UNLOCKED?? So if I were to order the N900, how do i know they allow it??

I too would like to know if the prepaid Sidekick plan will work for the N900 and which features it will support (3G, tethering, etc.).

cesman 2009-09-04 21:57

I called my local T-Mobile store and asked about having an unlocked phone. They said just bring it in and setup an account. Based on another thread, I believe the issue is if T-Mobile would subsidize the N900.

Crashdamage 2009-09-04 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by romanianusa (Post 321769)
The N900 unlocked that you can pre-order from NokiaUSA. What are people getting it for?? Obviously only T-mobile work on that device...but why are people so certain that Tmobile allow that phone on their 3G network??

I talked to T-Mobile about this before I ordered an unlocked N900, just to be sure. I have a G1 right now on the $25 Android unlimited data + 400 message plan. I was told all I have to do is call them back when I get the phone and they will switch me to a special data plan for unlocked phones. A simple click-click re-configuration on their end of some sort and I'm good to go. No waiting for it to take effect. No change in price or service, still unlimited data + 400 messages.

So apparently no problem, but well find out for certain when that N900 arrives.

jandmdickerson 2009-09-04 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashdamage (Post 321782)
I talked to T-Mobile about this before I ordered an unlocked N900, just to be sure. I have a G1 right now on the $25 Android unlimited data + 400 message plan. I was told all I have to do is call them back when I get the phone and they will switch me to a special data plan for unlocked phones. A simple click-click re-configuration on their end of some sort and I'm good to go. No waiting for it to take effect. No change in price or service, still unlimited data + 400 messages.

Wow good price! You get all the skype you can eat plus enough text for anyone who is not a teenager. :D

Texrat 2009-09-04 22:09

Why another thread on this so soon? The OP posted in a related one as well...

romanianusa 2009-09-04 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashdamage (Post 321782)

Wow...this is exciting to here that they allow N900 unlocked. Do you have voice data plan as well? Is your 400 messages included with the unlimited data or did you added separately?? Because i figure with unlimited data you can just message through the use of unlimited internet like AIM or Yahoo Messenger..no need for the 400+ limit messages.

allnameswereout 2009-09-04 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 321788)
Why another thread on this so soon? The OP posted in a related one as well...

Mod break?!

SD69 2009-09-04 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by romanianusa (Post 321803)
Wow...this is exciting to here that they allow N900 unlocked. Do you have voice data plan as well? Is your 400 messages included with the unlimited data or did you added separately?? Because i figure with unlimited data you can just message through the use of unlimited internet like AIM or Yahoo Messenger..no need for the 400+ limit messages.

I don't know about the plan that was posted, but yes T-Mobile sells unlimited plans for unlocked phones that allow access to the whole Internet, including Yahoo. The 400 messages is for SMS (phone-to-phone) messages.

mistermix 2009-09-12 20:13

N900 Missing from T-Mobile (US) Roadmap

Boy Genius Report has a powerpoint from a T-Mobile presentation, showing new phone introductions for the next couple of months. The newly announced Moto Cliq is on the list, but no sign of the N900. That certainly doesn't rule out a N900 on T-Mobile sometime in the future, but it doesn't look like Christmas will include a subsidized N900.

mhotep 2009-09-12 20:30

Re: N900 Missing from T-Mobile (US) Roadmap

That sucks.

SD69 2009-09-12 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermix (Post 325925)
Boy Genius Report has a powerpoint from a T-Mobile presentation, showing new phone introductions for the next couple of months. The newly announced Moto Cliq is on the list, but no sign of the N900. That certainly doesn't rule out a N900 on T-Mobile sometime in the future, but it doesn't look like Christmas will include a subsidized N900.

That document also doesn't have the HTC Touch Pro 2 on it, but T-Mobile just started offering that phone. Keep in mind that the N900 was independently developed, while there was cooperation on the phones on that list. This document isn't a high indicator of whether N900 will be offered by T-Mo sometime this year.

Lord Raiden 2009-09-12 22:20

Well, I'm still waiting on the 3G version of the n900. I'm not too thrilled about the pricetag, but if it (the 3G version) can be used both in the USA and overseas, then I'm golden. If not, then I guess I'll have to wait a couple years until I'm back from Taiwan to get one. :(

christexaport 2009-09-13 10:50

I wish someone would address this for me, too. Does it support Band I and IV, or just one of the two?

BadMojoUT 2009-09-13 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 326168)
I wish someone would address this for me, too. Does it support Band I and IV, or just one of the two?

It supports both. There is only one model of the N900 (RX-51) that has been circulating among the press and it passed the FCC a little while ago.

Here's the FCC report:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

Scroll to page 3 and you'll very clearly see "WCDMA 1700/2100". In other words, *you will get 3G on T-Mobile US as long as you're in an area with 3G coverage*.
To further confirm this, a HoFo (Howard Forums) member recently visited the NYC Nokia Flagship store and tested out the N900 with his own T-Mobile sim card. The 3G symbol showed up as expected. I believe he even put up a picture showing this.

I really don't get why there's so much confusion over this. T-Mobile US customers are set. It's us AT&T customers that are out of luck. All we can do is hope that Nokia will release a device relatively soon with 3G support for our network.

mykenyc 2009-09-13 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadMojoUT (Post 326193)
It supports both. There is only one model of the N900 (RX-51) that has been circulating among the press and it passed the FCC a little while ago.

Here's the FCC report:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

Scroll to page 3 and you'll very clearly see "WCDMA 1700/2100". In other words, *you will get 3G on T-Mobile US as long as you're in an area with 3G coverage*.
To further confirm this, a HoFo (Howard Forums) member recently visited the NYC Nokia Flagship store and tested out the N900 with his own T-Mobile sim card. The 3G symbol showed up as expected. I believe he even put up a picture showing this.

I really don't get why there's so much confusion over this. T-Mobile US customers are set. It's us AT&T customers that are out of luck. All we can do is hope that Nokia will release a device relatively soon with 3G support for our network.

wait they have it in the New York flagship store??? im 25 min away...!!!!

mhotep 2009-09-13 15:24

Yeah. I think one or two people have been there. Go and give us your report as well. I'm dying more hands n reports, video too if you can. I'm an addict now waiting for my fix. :p
Quote:

Originally Posted by mykenyc (Post 326235)
wait they have it in the New York flagship store??? im 25 min away...!!!!

mykenyc 2009-09-13 18:07

okay i have off work tommorrow will be going i got android phone want me to try to use quik i believe the app is to stream it

kenny 2009-09-13 20:37

Quote:

I really don't get why there's so much confusion over this.

The confusion concerns whether the N900 will work on both the Euro/Asian 3G networks and the U.S. 2100mhz 3G network.
This has been answered in the thread "3G in U.S. vs Europe/Asia."

fms 2009-09-13 20:50

Quote:

It's us AT&T customers that are out of luck. All we can do is hope that Nokia will release a device relatively soon with 3G support for our network.

Or you can simply buy TMobile SIM card and continue using TMobile instead of AT&T. Can't you? :)

texaslabrat 2009-09-13 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by fms (Post 326379)
Or you can simply buy TMobile SIM card and continue using TMobile instead of AT&T. Can't you? :)

Well, for those areas that *have* t-mobile 3g coverage..sure. But over time, they'll fill in the gaps. I'm lucky to have pretty decent coverage where I'm at so I did indeed switch providers in preparation for the N900 (and I managed to save a decent chunk per month in the process).

BadMojoUT 2009-09-13 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by fms (Post 326379)

You know, I would use T-Mobile if not for two reasons.

1. Coverage. I travel a decent amount and while T-Mobile is catching up, it's still quite a bit worse than AT&T.

2. Building penetration was noticeably worse with T-Mobile when I had it and unless they've started going for denser cell sites, it's not going to get better. The fact that both their GSM and 3G bands are mostly up there in the spectrum will continue to be a hurdle (1700,1900, & 2100 MHz although I'm not sure if they have any 850Mhz).

They had pretty good customer service (far better than AT&T *cough*Cingular*cough*) and the plans were and continue to be great value. But what good is all of that when I can't use it half the time, right?

I really hate the state of the cellular industry in the US.

christexaport 2009-09-14 20:48

TMo builds its network more densely with more capacity, a product of its higher frequencies and penetrating buildings, which is harder for higher frequencies. Their 3G buildout has been fierce, and new markets are added almost weekly. It is getting pretty good for the major markets, and getting better across the board.

egrims 2009-09-14 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadMojoUT (Post 326411)
1. Coverage. I travel a decent amount and while T-Mobile is catching up, it's still quite a bit worse than AT&T.

If that supposed buyout of Sprint actually happens it could really change that around quite a bit. I would love to see that happen. I'm a t-mobile faithful and would like to see them squeak into the top 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadMojoUT (Post 326411)
I really hate the state of the cellular industry in the US.

Agreed.

christexaport 2009-09-14 21:46

I have always wanted Sprint and Tmo to merge, but unless the MiFi model grows, it will be hard to do with the GSM and CDMA issue.

I have a long standing idea of having a watch that does the network connectivity, and the device using the watch to get the voice and data connection over wifi or another mechanism, all converted into the proper frequencies. Then there would be no incompatible networks, just watches.

adamatus 2009-10-22 06:12

N900 not till Jan 2010 on Tmobile USA!!!!!

hey all,

This is my first thread here so thought i would start off with a bang!!!

I went to my local Tmobile store today and was inquiring on the new phones coming up. He mentioned the regulars: Samsung Behold, Motorola Cliq (he had a working model so played around with it for a while) etc.... These were expected to come out shortly...

When i asked about the n900 he said he has been told that they are not expecting to see it till Jan 2010!!!!

Anyone else heard about this!!!! It puts a major dent in my plans :(

Adam

R-R 2009-10-22 06:24

Re: N900 not till Jan 2010 on Tmobile USA!!!!!

That's only 2 months after they ship to people who are waiting for their pre-order... Not so bad is it?

ceroberts75 2009-10-22 06:27

yes. january is the expectation.

unkno 2009-10-22 07:26

The N900 has been confirmed officially for T-mobile?

somedude 2009-10-22 07:32

No it hasn't. I still think its just a speculation because it supports Tmobile 3G band.

x61 2009-10-22 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 355051)
No it hasn't. I still think its just a speculation because it supports Tmobile 3G band.

Yup, T-mobile is not getting the N900 anytime soon ( not even in Jan '10). Even if they and it is $200 with contract, I'm not getting it from them because I am now safely enjoying my unlimited $5 data plan per month now from them. Don't want to pay $30 per month for data plan.

penguinbait 2009-10-22 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by x61 (Post 355388)
Yup, T-mobile is not getting the N900 anytime soon ( not even in Jan '10). Even if they and it is $200 with contract, I'm not getting it from them because I am now safely enjoying my unlimited $5 data plan per month now from them. Don't want to pay $30 per month for data plan.

I am paying $25 on one phone $5 on the other. The $25 plan allows me to ssh to servers. The $5 plan can use http, I can get google, maemo-mapper downloads maps and routes. But direct IP port access is not possible on the $5 plan I have. Maybe you dont need anything but http, or maybe you live somewhere else where its different, but where I am, those are not the same data access.

x61 2009-10-22 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinbait (Post 355409)
I am paying $25 on one phone $5 on the other. The $25 plan allows me to ssh to servers. The $5 plan can use http, I can get google, maemo-mapper downloads maps and routes. But direct IP port access is not possible on the $5 plan I have. Maybe you dont need anything but http, or maybe you live somewhere else where its different, but where I am, those are not the same data access.

Maybe that's true but they now don't even have the $25/month data plan available much more the $5 one. The cheapest data plan with T-mobile is $30 with a limited data of 200MB per month. At the moment though, I have not need to us ssh on my N95 (don't even know if it is capable of doing it).

NvyUs 2009-10-22 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamatus (Post 354979)
hey all,

This is my first thread here so thought i would start off with a bang!!!

I went to my local Tmobile store today and was inquiring on the new phones coming up. He mentioned the regulars: Samsung Behold, Motorola Cliq (he had a working model so played around with it for a while) etc.... These were expected to come out shortly...

When i asked about the n900 he said he has been told that they are not expecting to see it till Jan 2010!!!!

Anyone else heard about this!!!! It puts a major dent in my plans :(

Adam

T-mobile need the time to cripple the firmware so get that flashing software ready to debrand lol

pataphysician 2009-10-22 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by x61 (Post 355511)
Maybe that's true but they now don't even have the $25/month data plan available much more the $5 one. The cheapest data plan with T-mobile is $30 with a limited data of 200MB per month. At the moment though, I have not need to us ssh on my N95 (don't even know if it is capable of doing it).

Those are data only plan prices, the cost is $25 if you have a voice plan. I have the $25 t-mobile data plan and I have it tethered as bluetooth modem constantly, I easily do well over 200mb month and have never had any problems, I think the limits are for data only plans for laptops.

Not sure why one would get a n900 and not get a voice plan.

henningspruth 2009-10-22 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pataphysician (Post 355552)
Those are data only plan prices, the cost is $25 if you have a voice plan. I have the $25 t-mobile data plan and I have it tethered as bluetooth modem constantly, I easily do well over 200mb month and have never had any problems, I think the limits are for data only plans for laptops.

Not sure why one would get a n900 and not get a voice plan.

I was checking the web site, won't you also be able to get the "web2go" add-on for $19.95?

pataphysician 2009-10-22 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by henningspruth (Post 355561)
I was checking the web site, won't you also be able to get the "web2go" add-on for $19.95?

I still have the older t-mobile total-internet plan, the web2go is fairly new and I haven't switched, I also use a special VPN version of the total-internet plan and haven't really researched how web2go works.

RogerS 2009-10-22 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by henningspruth (Post 355561)

There must be some logic to how T-Mobile's plans fit together, but I haven't been able to figure it out. (Not that the maze is any simpler than other carriers'.)

What is this $5 plan being referred to — is it something that's no longer available or is it just well hidden? I haven't been able to find any information on it at all.

And the unlimited internet option for "other phones" on the website has two $19.95 choices — one with, one without that "web2go" feature — but not the $9.95 choice in the brochure I picked up when walking by a T-Mobile affiliate.

Rounding the figures, I've seen the cost listed as $5, $10, $20, $25 and $30 for being able to access the internet from an N900 (not to mention $40, $50 and $60 plans that are maybe plans for tethering a laptop to a phone, although not clearly labeled as keep-away-from-otherwise).

And, of course, since our family has a Sprint plan for our current phones, I don't really need to use T-Mobile's voice services for months and months to come.

Or is it still impossible to use T-Mobile 3G when I'm away from wifi without paying an exorbitant amount of money for the privilege?

RogerS

henningspruth 2009-10-22 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerS (Post 355586)
What is this $5 plan being referred to — is it something that's no longer available or is it just well hidden? I haven't been able to find any information on it at all.

There used to be a "T-Mobile Web" plan that was offered first for $4.99 and then for $5.99. I guess you were supposed to use it for browsing WAP pages on your non-smart phone, but, as people found out, it really is "real" internet access, just restricted to web (proxy based) and mail related ports (i.e., no IM and no SSH), and T-Mobile laudably doesn't prevent tethering. Recently, it even seems that the port restrictions are no longer in place.

And yes, I don't think they let you add this option any more.

However, this page also mentions "Unlimited Web for phones $9.99/month - Get Unlimited Web access.".

Rushmore 2009-10-22 16:52

Tmo will not subsidize an unlocked device. Makes no sense from a cost perspective of customer support.

Tmo may offer the N900 as an unlocked, unsubsized product with 20 month payments, but with no warranty.

BTW, unless the rep you talk to at Tmo is an area manager or higher, they know nothing until the public knows within a 24 hour window. They are told the day before public.