maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   N900 Manual on NokiaUSA website (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32333)

bugelrex 2009-10-01 14:59

N900 Manual on NokiaUSA website

Not sure if this was just posted or was there for a while:

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/...-US_es-LAM.pdf

mhotep 2009-10-01 15:02

Re: N900 Manual on NokiaUSA website

Will take a look at it. Thanks

les_garten 2009-10-01 15:06

I have been looking for that, THANX!

bobthebuilder 2009-10-01 15:10

This device uses Maemo 5 software on Linux.

This sentence gave me shivers. I know its nothing new, since the 770, n800, n810, Google Android etc all run on linux, but to see it in writing in a manual, on a device as open as the n900 by a major company like Nokia bodes well for the future of Linux and Open Source Software.
(Should the word "Based" be put before the on though? The sentence structure seems odd)

GeneralAntilles 2009-10-01 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobthebuilder (Post 337505)
(Should the word "Based" be put before the on though? The sentence structure seems odd)

One could make an argument for both, I suppose, but, yes, it does stink of marketing speak.

sjgadsby 2009-10-01 15:20

Quote:

Pedantically, Linux is the kernel, and Maemo 5 is a particular collection of software than runs on that kernel. So, the sentence works.

However, given the more common usage of "Linux", yes, the sentence feels a little peculiar.

EDIT: Beaten by the General!

Raubtier 2009-10-01 15:26

no handwriting recognition and no voice dialing...that is a big dissapointment!

anyone know whether on can change the size of the pictures of your contacts on the homescreens, they seem awfully big..

range 2009-10-01 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugelrex (Post 337494)
Not sure if this was just posted or was there for a while:

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/...-US_es-LAM.pdf

This feels a little bit like christmas. Now I found the packet under Mom's and Dad's bed, I can look at the shape and feel it, but I still have to wait until I get it. :)

Romeo0119 2009-10-01 15:34

Maybe this will mean that the phone is coming sooner than later

Red 2009-10-01 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 337510)
One could make an argument for both, I suppose, but, yes, it does stink of marketing speak.

And I'm not sure about calling the stand a "kickstand" is a good idea either; I can see the support calls now ... ;)

Thanks for the link BTW!

sachin007 2009-10-01 15:40

From the manual

"Nokia headset with music controls can also be used but the device does not support music controls"

:(

vvaz 2009-10-01 15:42

Funny typo on page 71: The supported video file formats are: MP3, AAC, WMA, M4A,
AMR, AWB, and WAV. :)

One strange thing: looks like there is no "simple geotagging" mode where only GPS coordinates are written to image. You have to have Internet connection to retrieve "human readable" data. Don't like it on at least two levels...

locusf 2009-10-01 15:58

Quote:

Installation files (.deb or .install) of applications you have installed. Transfer the installation files to a compatible computer
Well this is weird...

les_garten 2009-10-01 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raubtier (Post 337519)
no handwriting recognition and no voice dialing...that is a big dissapointment!

anyone know whether on can change the size of the pictures of your contacts on the homescreens, they seem awfully big..

Voice dial no biggie for me, but they missed a big deal with the lack of handwriting recognition IMHO.

sarahn 2009-10-01 16:09

Quote:

This sentence gave me shivers. I know its nothing new, since the 770, n800, n810, Google Android etc all run on linux, but to see it in writing in a manual, on a device as open as the n900 by a major company like Nokia bodes well for the future of Linux and Open Source Software.

see mi

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...notebooks/Mini

benny1967 2009-10-01 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaz (Post 337535)
One strange thing: looks like there is no "simple geotagging" mode where only GPS coordinates are written to image. You have to have Internet connection to retrieve "human readable" data. Don't like it on at least two levels...

What's that supposed to be? "Human readable" data is not geotagging.

It would make sense to fetch human readable data when you view a file (because then you'd have the information on all geotagged images, no matter who tagged them on what device), but... oh well.

Hogwash 2009-10-01 16:25

Quote:

That raised my eyebrows too. I spend considerable time in locations with no WiFi and no cellular access, but I still need to photograph stuff and tag it with GPS coordinates (think geocaching, frex).

I'm guessing some hackery can fix this, but still....it seems like an obvious oversight.

bobthebuilder 2009-10-01 16:29

I noticed it is coming with same games. so the chess will still be impossible to beat.
(or maybe I just stink at chess)

zerojay 2009-10-01 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogwash (Post 337575)
That raised my eyebrows too. I spend considerable time in locations with no WiFi and no cellular access, but I still need to photograph stuff and tag it with GPS coordinates (think geocaching, frex).

I'm guessing some hackery can fix this, but still....it seems like an obvious oversight.

You do not need wifi or cellular access to geotag photos. And I'm not talking about text labels, but GPS coordinates. If the GPS is active and has a lock, it will geotag the image. If your GPS does not have a lock, it will guess about where you are using the cellular network if it's available.

Please everyone... stop making up problems and issues. :)

Hogwash 2009-10-01 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 337581)

Hold yer horses bub....we're quoting from the damn manual here!

P.62

"You need an internet connection to be able to add geotag
information to your files."

allnameswereout 2009-10-01 16:51

Quote:

Funny typo on page 71: The supported video file formats are: MP3, AAC, WMA, M4A,
AMR, AWB, and WAV. :)

Hmm, I thought XViD too... :confused:

Somehow feels like we are manual proofreaders helping Nokia... :D

vvaz 2009-10-01 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 337599)
Somehow feels like we are manual proofreaders helping Nokia... :D

Spanish version didn't have this error. :)

Soulfarmer 2009-10-01 17:08

Thanks for the link!

I noticed Speed Dial in specs but the manual said nothing about speeddialing. With myE90 I loved the portrait HW keyboard to have one press speeddial. Just one long press on 2-9 numberkeys and it dialed preset number. I wished so hard something like this was implemented where long press on contact image would do the same trick. I didn't see speed dial anywhere in the manual, I hope it is just missing from the manual but not from the device.

vvaz 2009-10-01 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 337581)
You do not need wifi or cellular access to geotag photos. And I'm not talking about text labels, but GPS coordinates. If the GPS is active and has a lock, it will geotag the image. If your GPS does not have a lock, it will guess about where you are using the cellular network if it's available.

If this is the case they should write it clearly and allow for turning off second stage of geotagging. Second stage is evil: extra connections draw from battery, and it uploads my data to some undisclosed servers.

eiffel 2009-10-01 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaz (Post 337625)
Second stage is evil

Evil perhaps, but it's seriously cool being able to take a photo and have it automatically tagged "Eiffel Tower". Even if the photo is actually of a pine cone or sunset or something :)

Alex Atkin UK 2009-10-01 18:40

Hmmm, Infrared port is NOT IrDA compatible? Is that good or bad.

I suspect it may be good, as every one I found that is IrDA has an operating range of a few inches. This implies (to me) that its designed to operate as a remote control rather than data transfer (as we have Bluetooth/WiFi for that) which would be a good thing.

zerojay 2009-10-01 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogwash (Post 337586)
Hold yer horses bub....we're quoting from the damn manual here.

That's fine. The manual's just wrong then. :)

zerojay 2009-10-01 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaz (Post 337625)
and it uploads my data to some undisclosed servers.

Remember what I said about not making up stuff? What second stage are you talking about? If you're refering to what I said about the phone guessing where you are, it's not uploading anything but using cell phone towers to figure out where you are. No connections, no uploading. Same stuff most phones today can do.

joppu 2009-10-01 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 337599)
Hmm, I thought XViD too... :confused:

AVI is just a container. It can have, for example, DIVX or XVID video inside it.

See, http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

Quote:

Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263

bocaJ 2009-10-01 19:16

Quote:

To ensure proper functionality of the touch screen, remove the protective film from the device display.

Do not cover the area left of the touch screen with, for example, protecive film or tape.
How the fsck are we supposed to protect it then?

allnameswereout 2009-10-01 19:16

Some other quotes:

Quote:

When using this device, obey all laws and respect local
customs, privacy and legitimate rights of others, including
copyrights. Copyright protection may prevent some images,
music, and other content from being copied, modified, or
transferred.
Implies DRM?

Quote:

Your service provider may have requested that certain
features be disabled or not activated in your device. If so,
these features will not appear on your device menu. Your
device may also have customized items such as menu names,
menu order, and icons.
Implies sponsored contract with custom firmware?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 337696)
Remember what I said about not making up stuff? What second stage are you talking about? If you're refering to what I said about the phone guessing where you are, it's not uploading anything but using cell phone towers to figure out where you are. No connections, no uploading. Same stuff most phones today can do.

GSM triangulation, indeed.

Maybe he refers to Skyhook Wireless API. If that database is online instead of offline. But I'm not sure such is used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joppu (Post 337697)
AVI is just a container. It can have, for example, DIVX or XVID video inside it.

See, http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

Yes, I know, and I know the difference between the manual and your linked page; its the reason I posted that statement.

GeneralAntilles 2009-10-01 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 337717)
Implies DRM?
Implies sponsored contract with custom firmware?

I think these are just boilerplate legalese that have little or no relation to the actual device or its software.

zerojay 2009-10-01 19:20

Don't take that stuff as implying anything. It's standard Nokia boilerplate stuff.

Hogwash 2009-10-01 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 337695)
That's fine. The manual's just wrong then. :)

Are you an authority on this?

I'm not being snarky....really....I just want to know if the manual is simply mis-worded.

zerojay 2009-10-01 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogwash (Post 337727)
Are you an authority on this?

I'm not being snarky....really....I just want to know if the manual is simply mis-worded.

Manuals are often written way ahead of the actual product. That's why almost every product on the market has errata on their website afterwards. The manual was probably written in Finland by non-native speakers so there's plenty of Finnglish and weird syntax and stuff like that on top of it, so it's very possible that it was misworded.

Hogwash 2009-10-01 19:29

"What second stage are you talking about?"

OK, it may not be formally called "second stage", but logically there must be a multi-step process here:

1) Acquire GPS location
2) Attempt to refine (1) with GPRS 'triangulation' algorithm
3) Send location to server to obtain textual geotag labels.

Why this can't be done with a WLAN connection is odd. OK, so you don't have the (2) GPRS-refined location, but you could still be in the right ballpark.

bobthebuilder 2009-10-01 19:31

why would the gps need to be refined by the gprs? the gps should be more exact right?

qole 2009-10-01 19:34

The manual has lots of typos. A bit disappointing.

I hope it isn't the final version.

zerojay 2009-10-01 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogwash (Post 337733)
"What second stage are you talking about?"

OK, it may not be formally called "second stage", but logically there must be a multi-step process here:

1) Acquire GPS location
2) Attempt to refine (1) with GPRS 'triangulation' algorithm
3) Send location to server to obtain textual geotag labels.

Why this can't be done with a WLAN connection is odd. OK, so you don't have the (2) GPRS-refined location, but you could still be in the right ballpark.

GPRS triangulation or whatever they do is FAR less accurate than GPS. I haven't seen anything about 3 yet.

qole 2009-10-01 19:37

Quote:

What? That's not a phone running Linux.