maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [ANNOUNCE] zoutube a youtube browser and player now in extras-devel (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34132)

zaheerm 2009-11-09 08:07

[ANNOUNCE] zoutube a youtube browser and player now in extras

What started as a 20 minute hack borrowing youtube parsing code from canola2, I have now packaged up as a fremantle application. Currently it lets you browse top rated, recently featured, most viewed, most recent and all the youtube categories and plays back the video you select.

Next features scheduled are:
  • search
  • show full description
  • seek bar when playing
  • download

It is a little rough, like no error handling when you lose network etc. but please try it out and give feedback.

UPDATE: zoutube 0.1-18 is now in extras. Thanks all for the testing.

pelago 2009-11-09 09:57

Re: [ANNOUNCE] zoutube a youtube browser and player now in extras-devel

Cool. Screenshots are always welcome, for those of us without a Maemo 5 device.

zaheerm 2009-11-09 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelago (Post 369359)
Cool. Screenshots are always welcome, for those of us without a Maemo 5 device.

Blog entry with screenshots:
http://zaheer.merali.org/articles/20...0-youtube-app/

ovjo12 2009-11-12 12:42

When I upgrade to version 0.1.7 main screen don't show up any more.
Regards,
Ove

zaheerm 2009-11-12 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovjo12 (Post 373500)
When I upgrade to version 0.1.7 main screen don't show up any more.
Regards,
Ove

How long did you wait? Did you have a network connection? It seems to be fine on my device. If you had network connection and it didn't come up even after say 15-30 seconds, can you try running in terminal:

/opt/zoutube/zoutube and see if anything gets output in the terminal

drm 2009-11-12 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaheerm (Post 369289)
What started as a 20 minute hack borrowing youtube parsing code from canola2, I have now packaged up as a fremantle application. Currently it lets you browse top rated, recently featured, most viewed, most recent and all the youtube categories and plays back the video you select.

Next features scheduled are:
  • search
  • show full description
  • seek bar when playing
  • download

It is a little rough, like no error handling when you lose network etc. but please try it out and give feedback.

It will be nice to download a movie from youtube to the N900.

zaheerm 2009-11-12 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by drm (Post 373504)
It will be nice to download a movie from youtube to the N900.

That will be in 0.1-8 to be uploaded at some point today.

ovjo12 2009-11-12 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaheerm (Post 373503)
How long did you wait? Did you have a network connection? It seems to be fine on my device. If you had network connection and it didn't come up even after say 15-30 seconds, can you try running in terminal:

/opt/zoutube/zoutube and see if anything gets output in the terminal

I have network connection.
I got this:
/opt/zoutube/zoutube
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/zoutube/zoutube", line 766, in <module>
ui = MainScreen()
File "/opt/zoutube/zoutube", line 385, in __init__
self.ctx = osso.context.Context("zoutube", "0.1")
TypeError: function takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)
~ $

zaheerm 2009-11-12 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovjo12 (Post 373510)
I have network connection.
I got this:
/opt/zoutube/zoutube
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/zoutube/zoutube", line 766, in <module>
ui = MainScreen()
File "/opt/zoutube/zoutube", line 385, in __init__
self.ctx = osso.context.Context("zoutube", "0.1")
TypeError: function takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)
~ $

Strange I don't get that, what version of python-osso do you have installed?

my dpkg -s python-osso shows:

Version: 0.4-0maemo1

ovjo12 2009-11-12 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaheerm (Post 373514)
Strange I don't get that, what version of python-osso do you have installed?

my dpkg -s python-osso shows:

Version: 0.4-0maemo1

$ dpkg -s python-osso
Package: python-osso
Priority: optional
Section: python
Installed-Size: 196
Maintainer: PyMaemo Team <pymaemo-developers@garage.maemo.org>
Architecture: armel
Version: 0.3-2maemo4
Depends: python-gtk2, python-all, libdbus-glib-1-2, libosso1, libgtk2.0-0, libpango1.0-0, libglib2.0-0, libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.24.0), libc6 (>= 2.5.0-1), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.1.4), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.20.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2:2.12.9-0osso1), libosso1 (>= 2.21), libpango1.0-0
Description: Python bindings for Libosso library
~ $

zaheerm 2009-11-12 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovjo12 (Post 373519)
$ dpkg -s python-osso
Package: python-osso
Priority: optional
Section: python
Installed-Size: 196
Maintainer: PyMaemo Team <pymaemo-developers@garage.maemo.org>
Architecture: armel
Version: 0.3-2maemo4
Depends: python-gtk2, python-all, libdbus-glib-1-2, libosso1, libgtk2.0-0, libpango1.0-0, libglib2.0-0, libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.24.0), libc6 (>= 2.5.0-1), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.1.4), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.20.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2:2.12.9-0osso1), libosso1 (>= 2.21), libpango1.0-0
Description: Python bindings for Libosso library
~ $

Looks like there were api changes between 0.3 and 0.4. So it is a bug in zoutube's depends. I will add that for 0.1-8 which I'll upload a package for today. To workaround your issue do: apt-get install python-osso and it should update you to version 0.4.

Thanks for reporting the bug!

ovjo12 2009-11-12 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaheerm (Post 373522)
Looks like there were api changes between 0.3 and 0.4. So it is a bug in zoutube's depends. I will add that for 0.1-8 which I'll upload a package for today. To workaround your issue do: apt-get install python-osso and it should update you to version 0.4.

Thanks for reporting the bug!

Thanks!!
it works after I upgraded python-osso to version 0.4
Regards,
Ove

zaheerm 2009-11-13 10:33

Thanks to everyone's feedback. version 0.1-10 is now in extras-devel. Differences it has from first version are:

Take best format available for playback
Allow choice between the different formats
Set progress indicator when downloading
Search support (start typing on main screen and press enter, it will use your text as a search query to youtube)
Stop screen dimming (though it seems to not work very well)
Change pause/play button to be an icon
Add download menu option on playback window
Add portrait mode and autorotation
The video list is now a thumbnailed list instead of a list of buttons

GunnerzMate 2009-11-14 04:36

So it downloads the videos but are they automatically converted into another video format or do they stay in flv format?

nashith 2009-11-14 04:57

Great app. I was expecting an official Youtube client from Google. But I guess the community is much faster. Now if only we can have the N900 on our hands...

twaelti 2009-11-14 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunnerzMate (Post 375752)
So it downloads the videos but are they automatically converted into another video format or do they stay in flv format?

They stay in FLV. This is no problem for the inbuilt-mediaplayer once it has been updated with the additional plugins (happens automatically when installing zoutube).

Laughing Man 2009-11-21 04:20

Now if only there was a way to log in and view videos you subscribe to. ;)

zaheerm 2009-11-21 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughing Man (Post 384921)
Now if only there was a way to log in and view videos you subscribe to. ;)

I want to get around to that, but first I want to make the video player widget better and more like the media player's one
and also improve experience when not on wifi as well as do some proper download management.

Maybe someone should write a download manager activatable by dbua.

zaheerm 2009-11-23 09:02

I have had a really strange problem with zoutube since I started it. When I was on wifi, it would work perfectly. When I was on 3G, it would just hang when about to play the video. After a lot of detective work, I figured out that O2 was completely changing the youtube viewing webpage with a transparent proxy. This meant it worked on my wife's N900 as she is on Vodafone. So I had to add headers to force no caching. This made the pages the same on wifi and 3G for me.

Anyways as a result I just uploaded 0.1-15 to extras-devel and I finally pushed my git repository to github.

Github url: http://github.com/zaheerm/zoutube/

mece 2009-11-23 09:21

Is there a possibility for something similar for other flash sites? Youtube works pretty good imo, but some other sites suffer badly in the browser.

Either way good work, most definately a useful app.

zaheerm 2009-11-23 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mece (Post 386817)
Is there a possibility for something similar for other flash sites? Youtube works pretty good imo, but some other sites suffer badly in the browser.

Either way good work, most definately a useful app.

I am working on BBC Iplayer now. This is a site that doesn't work well with the browser currently.

zaheerm 2009-11-23 21:20

I put zoutube 0.1-18 in extras-testing, please test and vote for it at:

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...outube/0.1-18/

Thanks!

shadow 2009-11-26 17:05

A very useful app. Is there any way to get rid of the slider at the bottom in full screen mode. Am using 0.1-18.

christexaport 2009-11-26 17:24

could there be a way to suggest video services to you, zaheerm, and have them added as plugins, if you will? I'd love this to become like Open Video Hub for S60.

zaheerm 2009-11-26 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow (Post 394158)
A very useful app. Is there any way to get rid of the slider at the bottom in full screen mode. Am using 0.1-18.

Currently not.

I am working on a new UI for the video window which will have the slider and play/pause not appear in full screen mode and only come up when requested and over the video.

zaheerm 2009-11-27 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 394183)
could there be a way to suggest video services to you, zaheerm, and have them added as plugins, if you will? I'd love this to become like Open Video Hub for S60.

Sounds like a good idea, I need to abstract the UI from the service which I have started to do with the iplayer work I have started. So yes, please suggest, though my initial focus will be on youtube and iplayer.

zaheerm 2009-11-27 17:10

Thanks to everyone who tested, zoutube is now in Extras and so no need to enable potentially unstable repositories like extras-testing and definitely unstable ones like extras-devel.

Next features are BBC iplayer support and improved video playing UI.

ewan 2009-11-27 17:15

Fantastic :-)

When I finally get an N900 out of Nokia this is going to be about the first thing I install.

Rushmore 2009-11-28 00:48

Zoutube stops while playing vids- anyone else having this issue? I have yet to have one play beyond 40 seconds and it not stop. I have a full wifi connection and the same videos play fine via wifi on the Archos 5, G1 and Droid. Plays them flawlessly with wifi in fullscreen HQ mode, but zoutube on the N900 does not seem to want to stay connected. Not sure if this is a N900 connection issue or the app.

Wifi does seem to be "iffy" on the the N900 since I have had more time with the device. I tried different vids out, but only briefly to see what would work until today. Does not seem to keep a reliable connection, though it does show full bars. Again, the Archos 5, G1 and Droid are fine and stream video fine.

Getting frustrating, since without reliable wifi, kind of no point for me keeping the N900. Ironic, considering my review, which spoke well of the device.

I appreciate the app though. I wonder if my N900 is the issue.

Crashdamage 2009-11-28 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushmore (Post 397070)
Wifi does seem to be "iffy" on the the N900...Does not seem to keep a reliable connection...without reliable wifi, kind of no point for me keeping the N900...I wonder if my N900 is the issue.

Off-topic here I know but..have you tried changing the power-saving in wifi settings? Check out this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...+wifi+settings

NvyUs 2009-11-28 16:22

i've had a different bug last time i ran it, it froze and i got a system pop saying something like zoutube failed to close and is not responding, i was unable to close it.
is there a way we can get more videos from search results

cheetos316 2009-11-28 17:14

Sorry for the noob question, but is this compatible with the N810?

pumo 2009-11-28 17:34

great app!
works even portrait :-)
but it cant start wifi connection ?

zaheerm 2009-11-29 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheetos316 (Post 397778)
Sorry for the noob question, but is this compatible with the N810?

Sorry I have made it N900 only. If enough people are interested, I can make a Diablo compatible version.

nytcrawlr 2009-12-02 06:04

Hi, just downloaded zoutube this evening, got my N900 yesterday. I notice that most apps pre-installed and what I have downloaded from extras ignore the phone profile setting; so if I have it set to Silent for my phone, I can still get audio from apps I am running. With zoutube, audio is only played if I set the profile to General; placing it on Silent disables audio in the app again. This can be done on the fly even while the video is playing.

This maybe by design, but I'm only posting as I notice this differ from the other applications I've used so far. Regardless, this is a very handy app! :)

zaheerm 2009-12-02 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by nytcrawlr (Post 404177)
Hi, just downloaded zoutube this evening, got my N900 yesterday. I notice that most apps pre-installed and what I have downloaded from extras ignore the phone profile setting; so if I have it set to Silent for my phone, I can still get audio from apps I am running. With zoutube, audio is only played if I set the profile to General; placing it on Silent disables audio in the app again. This can be done on the fly even while the video is playing.

This maybe by design, but I'm only posting as I notice this differ from the other applications I've used so far. Regardless, this is a very handy app! :)

So the real question is, what would people want the behaviour to be? To be silent if the silent profile is set or to actually ourtput audio then?

mehdiE 2009-12-02 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaheerm (Post 404347)
So the real question is, what would people want the behaviour to be? To be silent if the silent profile is set or to actually ourtput audio then?

I noticed this issue too and it took me quite a while to figure out how to get the audio to work.

In a media player, sound should definitely play regardless of the profile used. I believe that this is what people would expect and it's the way every mobile media player I've used so far worked (including the N900's built-in one). The silent profile is here to prevent unexpected audio (ringtones, alerts) from playing - not to prevent audio that the user explicitly wants to play from playing (and when you watch a video, you expect it to have sound these days).

Well done by the way for this app. Really looking forward to the BBC iPlayer support.

christexaport 2009-12-02 15:25

when will we see full screen HD video?

zaheerm 2009-12-02 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 404993)
when will we see full screen HD video?

when we have an HD screen to display it on!

christexaport 2009-12-02 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaheerm (Post 405002)
when we have an HD screen to display it on!

smart a**! lol

but seriously, somrtimes I like to download videos to host and serve on the site, especially those that could be removed. Our readers do have better screens, and the lower YouTube vids aren't always ideal. It'd really be useful to not have to go to my desktop for that. I don't touch a desktop if possible, and haven't since 2007 except in the studio. Lets leverage the OS and reach for desktop performance. Guys like me are few, but I think that will change globally in the BRIC markets come Maemo6. Why not get a head start?