maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Closed] The epic PR 1.2 anticipation thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42285)

Dave999 2010-01-26 12:09

[Closed] The epic PR 1.2 anticipation thread

Hi,
Do we have any information about this?

How often have privious tablets seen the nice face of new FW update?

how many FW updates did the last tablet get?

thx

russo_br 2010-01-26 12:40

Speculation about the next firmware (PR1.2?) and its release date

Does anyone when the next firmware update should be release? I know Nokia won't provide a date, but is it supposed to be concluded within weeks/months or there is no clue at all?

Despite what features or corrections each N900 owner is expecting, I couldn't find any news about the next firmware (PR1.1 release date was discussed extensively, and when came out it was disappointing at least in my opinion). By the way, can we call it PR1.2? :confused:

adancau 2010-01-26 12:50

Re: Does anyone know when the next firmware (PR1.2?) is expected?

just to speculate, i'd think late february or early march. no hard facts to base this opinion on though.

cenwesi 2010-01-26 12:52

yes, i am wondering too. This release is not what we expected it to be. So many missing simple features. I still don't get when deleting an email i get prompted and re-confirm i really want to delete the email... Nokia, this is no brainier, give the user the option to turn this off.

tissot 2010-01-26 12:58

All mighty Eldar Murtazin mentioned April/March. He said that it would bring Qt 4.6 at least.

TA-t3 2010-01-26 13:07

Re: when can we expect a new FW update?

Considering the mess I ended up with after the 1.1 update, I would prefer not to see one for a long time. Instead, I wish to see package-by-package upgrades, e.g. when an RSS feed reader bug is fixed I expect to see the updated version of that single package to be visible in the application manager. It's a much safer approach.

GeneralAntilles 2010-01-26 13:14

Supposedly there's a PR1.1.1 coming out between now and PR1.2. I'd better on PR1.2 hitting sometime in the next 2-3 months, so figure somewhere between now and then for PR1.1.1.

russo_br 2010-01-26 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 495406)
All mighty Eldar Murtazin mentioned April/March. He said that it would bring Qt 4.6 at least.

Sorry for the noob question, since I didn't know Eldar until now... Does he have inside information due to his status in the mobile community or is just assuming? Would you have a link to post here, pls?

Flandry 2010-01-26 13:44

We more or less knew what was going to be in PR1.1 in advance, just as we do for PR1.2. Just look at the updates to bugzilla. Nobody that actually paid attention was disappointed when PR1.1 came out.

As far as when the next release is, Nokia has a policy of not announcing updates in advance of their release, and that means even the Maemo council members.

Eldar makes a living from cell phone rumors, be there anything behind them or not. He's certainly not as in tune with what's going on in Maemo as the community members actually working on it...

niqbal 2010-01-26 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cenwesi (Post 495394)
yes, i am wondering too. This release is not what we expected it to be. So many missing simple features. I still don't get when deleting an email i get prompted and re-confirm i really want to delete the email... Nokia, this is no brainier, give the user the option to turn this off.

UI wise, its a silly idea to turn it off

NvyUs 2010-01-26 13:53

Re: Speculation about the next firmware (PR1.2?) and its release date

estimated release date and about it brining QT 4.6 was spoke about in many threads on here even before PR1.1 was released.
Eldar as just gave info what was common knowledge to all who read every part of maemo.org

attila77 2010-01-26 13:54

There is no need for insider information. Qt4.6 clearly has a PR1.2 branch/comments, and it has been repeatedly announced for 2010 Q1. In practice this would mean late March, or, if you factor in QA, more likely April.

icebox 2010-01-26 13:59

well as a n800 owner I can say that we saw enough - i.e. from chinook to diablo with many minor releases.
Of course we didn't get the E release because it was skipped for YOUR Fremantle so don't ask us (previous tablets owners) about your updates :)

I guess, since we still have people working on updating and improving the n800 - n810 tablets the - more popular - n900 will get enough attention in the following years.

tissot 2010-01-26 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by attila77 (Post 495491)
There is no need for insider information. Qt4.6 clearly has a PR1.2 branch/comments, and it has been repeatedly announced for 2010 Q1. In practice this would mean late March, or, if you factor in QA, more likely April.

Very much true. Anybody who has been following this place for example will know that, but thought to put his exact words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by russo_br (Post 495473)
Sorry for the noob question, since I didn't know Eldar until now... Does he have inside information due to his status in the mobile community or is just assuming? Would you have a link to post here, pls?

He got website called mobile-review.com and he was example the guy who leaked the N900 about week before and made review of it. Thought he has been giving mobile phone leaks for 4-6 years especially in the Nokia, SE and Samsung area. Example twitted couple of days ago that we would see 16GB X6 announced today and yes it did ;)
[

Flandry 2010-01-26 14:03

Moving this to Maemo 5/Fremantle forum so it can be merged with the identical thread someone started there.

YoDude 2010-01-26 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flandry (Post 495482)
We more or less knew what was going to be in PR1.1 in advance, just as we do for PR1.2. Just look at the updates to bugzilla. Nobody that actually paid attention was disappointed when PR1.1 came out.

As far as when the next release is, Nokia has a policy of not announcing updates in advance of their release, and that means even the Maemo council members.

Eldar makes a living from cell phone rumors, be there anything behind them or not. He's certainly not as in tune with what's going on in Maemo as the community members actually working on it...

Yeah well., just so you know...

My man on the inside Beldar, tells me the next update will come on a Tuesday! He didn't say which Tuesday though as this inside info is hard to come by. :p

cashclientel 2010-01-26 14:12

My predictions

release: late Q1
bug fixes: Numerous but nothing key.
features: very few beyond developing the platform for maemo 6 (i.e. qt 4.6)

NvyUs 2010-01-26 14:16

X6 16GB was originally leaked week after they launched X6 back in september.

sjgadsby 2010-01-26 14:26

The thread "when can we expect a new FW update?" with four posts has been merged into this thread.

Arif 2010-01-26 14:42

It'd better be in Q1 :p They announced Flash 10 for Q1 after all ....:)

Milhouse 2010-01-26 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by niqbal (Post 495483)
UI wise, its a silly idea to turn it off

Agreed if done in isolation, but IMHO once there is support for a Deleted Email folder (bug #7216) then removing the confirmation prompt when deleting emails (bug #6621) isn't quite so silly. :)

craftyguy 2010-01-26 22:03

Release date?

Not soon enough..

russo_br 2010-01-27 00:45

I was reviewing the news about free navigation for Ovi Maps and was wondering... Nokia told that by March every phone will be shipped with free navigation.

Unless they say that N900 is not a phone, it should be included as well. Since for basic routing Ovi Maps for Maemo seems that it is missing just to add the voice guidance, maybe they can release an intermediate update (i.e. PR1.1.1) until March to accomplish that... Just speculation, but how knows!!

HugoSon 2010-02-01 18:44

any news here? PR1.1 was just in time - how long to wait until we have more bugs (not talking about features) getting finally fixed...?

R-R 2010-02-01 18:55

I'll be happy if SIP finally works and if we eventually get the new OVI Maps so this can actually be used as a proper GPS...

HangLoose 2010-02-01 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flandry (Post 495482)
We more or less knew what was going to be in PR1.1 in advance, just as we do for PR1.2. Just look at the updates to bugzilla.

Can you explain how to use bugs.maemo.org so I can find which bugs are going to be solved for 1.2?

Flandry 2010-02-01 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by HangLoose (Post 505578)
Can you explain how to use bugs.maemo.org so I can find which bugs are going to be solved for 1.2?

Here's the link General Antilles used to generate the search. My bugzilla-fu isn't as awesome as his but i think he basically set it to search for bugs marked fixed with a target of 5.0+. Now that a milestone of 5/(2.2009.51-1) (PR1.1)-see "Target"--is in the list, the same search finds all bugs resolved since then.

So that search result contains fixes that will possibly be in the next PR. We won't know which are until we know exactly what week internal release they use for the update.

HangLoose 2010-02-02 15:08

holy fixed bugs for PR1.2 batman...
This is a bigger list than for 1.1? And is it still to grow?

mooninite 2010-02-02 15:17

... and who cares about Qt? I know I don't. The immature, buggy, and constantly changing UI toolkit can stay second rate a little while longer. Anyone who believes that Qt is some sort of magical saviour is drinking the Nokia kool-aid.

I know my patch to the RSS reader is going in to the next release.

HangLoose 2010-02-02 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooninite (Post 506981)
... and who cares about Qt? I know I don't. The immature, buggy, and constantly changing UI toolkit can stay second rate a little while longer. Anyone who believes that Qt is some sort of magical saviour is drinking the Nokia kool-aid.

Can you name something better than Qt? GTK?! MFC? Motif?

Qt is far from immature. And I kinda dont understand what you mean with "buggy" and "constantly changing ui". If you mean something even remotely related to KDE then it is not Qt's fault...

Would be great to know what you mean :)

attila77 2010-02-02 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by HangLoose (Post 507249)
Would be great to know what you mean :)

No feeding please, framework wars are unnecessary...

HangLoose 2010-02-02 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by attila77 (Post 507256)
No feeding please, framework wars are unnecessary...

Framework wars? Come on... I would like to inform my self in what he means, not start a flame...

Where are you in the endless posts about "how much I hate the n900?" / "iPhone sucks" and so on?

Chill out dude...

attila77 2010-02-02 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by HangLoose (Post 507262)
Framework wars? Come on... I would like to inform my self in what he means, not start a flame...

He likes GTK and doesn't like Qt for some reason. Every framework has it's kinks, but calling Qt "immature, buggy and constantly changing" is just flamebait. I could say the same about GTK+, then we start off about performance and GPL and we get where the millions of threads on various forums and lists got - nowhere.

Quote:

Where are you in the endless posts about "how much I hate the n900?" / "iPhone sucks" and so on?
I filter threads by titles - I'm not likely to click a thread with such a title :)

ezcola 2010-02-02 18:50

King of all updates for N900 would hold the folowing:

- Portrait mode accross the UI. (I know it prbably wont happen before Maemo6)

- Flash 10.1 (Sould be 2010 Q1 so might even happen)

- Ovi maps free navigation (as mentioned earlier, Nokia has said every phone with GPS will have this from marh onwards, so in principle it should include N900 hence it will be sold also after march.)

- Some useful Java runtime (probably wont happen ever at least by official Nokia implementation, but it would be very welcome. I have heard of some NWR Nokia Web Runtime or someting like that coming to Maemo5 & 6 but not quite sure of what is it capable of)

- SyncML or some other built-in solution for perfect syncing with Google mail, contacts & calendar. (also won't probably happen by Nokia, but thereare some promising community projects going on that probably will solve this in some point)

- many others ofcourse but this was from the top of my head...

Flandry 2010-02-02 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bec (Post 507260)
I wish I finally saw a major update for a nokia device, like kinetic scrolling for 5800 was.
I had 4 updates the N82 and the only thing I could say if I were to update from 11 to 40 (4 updates at once) would be "nice".

PR 1.1 was also "nice" but nothing spectacular. I'm started to be disappointed by the lack of commercial apps... not even angry birds can be bought...

So much fiddling around things that end-users can't even see and nothing concrete - typical nokia!
I'd probably appreciate much more the ability to change tracks via the headset and install more apps at once than the huge list of "didn't know I missed that" PR1.2 is gonna be.

A device/OS can not survive today without (as stupid as it may be) a fan base. Average users need concrete, visible changes that would be in most cases easier to achieve that fixing various anonymous bugs that 5 or 6 users complained about.

The difference though is that finally, with Maemo, Nokia doesn't have to be the one to do all the "visible" stuff--as long as they take (good) care of the invisible stuff that nobody cares about (unless it affects them, in which case it may be a huge problem) that is the core of the platform, the other stuff will eventually take care of itself through community efforts and 3rd-party apps. It has enormous potential because Nokia can just use the same resources to focus on perfecting the core platform. If they instead take the attitude that maemo.org gives them an excuse to put less resources into it, it will be a problem, but i don't know if that's the case. This is the potential strength of Maemo over every other phone OS out there, but it's still early in the process and Nokia is not doing a perfect job of taking care of the invisible stuff, nor enabling 3rd-party apps by making Ovi something anyone can be proud of.

This is apparent in my own experience: my only real complaints for the N900 are based on things that have to be handled by Nokia because they are core apps and functionality that can't be fixed or worked-around by the community: complete, functioning offline mapping software (which is annoying because the N900 advertising was exaggerated on this point, and free&open map data isn't up to the task in a lot of areas--although it seems like there might be a possibility of a community workaround using the Ovi API), flawless phone, UI, and network performance, and meticulous power-saving measures.

spoonbuddy 2010-02-02 19:11

I think we just have to wait and see. I completed a Nokia N900 survey last night and a number of the questions related to things discussed on here, for example; have I ever accidently touched the screen and rejected a call.

They are obviously working on ironing out these problems but with so many suggestions being given, are making sure they come up with the right solutions. I appreciate this takes time, it takes me hours of reading on this forum, and would rather wait a little longer for something that has been well thought out than some quick fix.

My previous phone was a 5800, I had read that it would never get kinetic scrolling because Nokia were concentrating there efforts on the N97, but nearly a year later there was an update with kinetic scrolling.

egoshin 2010-02-02 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bec (Post 507260)
PR 1.1 was also "nice" but nothing spectacular.

PR1.1 was basically a reliability update. As I understand (I am not Nokia employee) it was hastened because there were a serious problems with reliability of whole system (CPU voltage control etc).

Applications change in PR1.1 - just side effect.

dwould 2010-02-02 19:22

flash 10 would be nice. assuming it brings promsed performance goodness.
some better management of the resources to ensure the phone 'app' doesn't struggle when loading.

and i keep meaning to see if the bug has been reported...when i unlock the screen the task switcher icon isn't detected for my first tap (assuming i go for that first) and instead registers as launching menu for open app. that one is starting to bug me.

bxbomber 2010-02-03 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezcola (Post 507304)
King of all updates for N900 would hold the folowing:

- Portrait mode accross the UI. (I know it prbably wont happen before Maemo6)

- Flash 10.1 (Sould be 2010 Q1 so might even happen)

- Ovi maps free navigation (as mentioned earlier, Nokia has said every phone with GPS will have this from marh onwards, so in principle it should include N900 hence it will be sold also after march.)

- Some useful Java runtime (probably wont happen ever at least by official Nokia implementation, but it would be very welcome. I have heard of some NWR Nokia Web Runtime or someting like that coming to Maemo5 & 6 but not quite sure of what is it capable of)

- SyncML or some other built-in solution for perfect syncing with Google mail, contacts & calendar. (also won't probably happen by Nokia, but thereare some promising community projects going on that probably will solve this in some point)

- many others ofcourse but this was from the top of my head...

that would be really nice.

i doubt we'll get half of those.

mooninite 2010-02-03 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by attila77 (Post 507281)
He likes GTK and doesn't like Qt for some reason. Every framework has it's kinks, but calling Qt "immature, buggy and constantly changing" is just flamebait. I could say the same about GTK+, then we start off about performance and GPL and we get where the millions of threads on various forums and lists got - nowhere.

It's not "flamebait" it's the truth. What did I see when QT 4.0/KDE 4.0 came out? Everything crashed every 5 minutes. Not until KDE/QT 4.2 did everything become some-what stable. This was only a year ago. Do I really want to trust my phone to a year old toolkit? Ask yourself that.

I've seen all the Qt apps from the Ovi store crash or become unstable on me multiple times. The Solitaire game is the worst offender.

I don't start flame wars. I start discussions. I hate flame wars.

This will be my last post on the subject. If anyone wishes to discuss it further they can PM me or start a new thread.