maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Macuco(2) on n900 - "iphone faker" browser (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=51487)

fcrochik 2010-04-30 13:36

[Announce] Macuco(2) on n900 (pr1.2) - "iphone faker" browser

Macuco was created by Paulo Cesar for the N800/N810 and was my favorite way of accessing gmail accounts. I decided to port it to the n900 and along the way tried to add some new features and use as many of the unique UI features on the n900.

Macuco can do much more than access your gmail account, it can give you access to many other web sites optimized for the iphone (google, facebook, twitter, cnn, ...). It is not supposed to replace your current web browser but some times you don't want to see the web site on the n900 like you do on your desktop just because you can! Most web sites optimized for the iphone will give you instant (or quicker) access to the real information you are looking for without many distractions.

Some of the features:
  • portrait and landscape modes
  • fullscreen option
  • bookmarks
  • zoom using volume buttons
  • keyboard shortcuts (Ctr+H:Home, Ctrl+B: Bookmarks, Ctr+G: Go to, Ctr+F: Fullscreen, CTR+O: 100% zoom, CTR+I: adjust zoom factor to match iphone native resolution)
  • homepage with links to (some) web sites optimized for the the iphone.
  • popup menu - not the best but allows you to reload the page, move back or or forward, open link on new window, ...

Please let me know of your comments, suggestions for new features, good web sites ...

IMPORTANT: There are some issues with how the QtWebkit handles input text on Qt4.6: the predictive input has some bugs for input fields. It is specially bad for password fields, making very hard to type them. The best work around until we get Qt4.7 is to type the password somewhere else, copy and paste it on the password field.

Update: There is a new version available from extras-devel that avoids the predictive input bug so you can enter passwords normally.

nielsvg 2010-04-30 13:38

Re: [Announce] Macuco(2) on n900 - "iphone faker" browser

do you have screens?

Frank Banul 2010-04-30 13:45

Sigh, all the while giving more mindshare to the iphone. It's a sad state that web sites cater to one specific device when it's obvious that the same sites would work on multiple mobile devices.

Please if you use this, take the time to email a few sites that force you to use this program and ask them to make a web site that will work on mobile devices without forcing you to fake being an iphone.

Frank

andrewfblack 2010-04-30 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcrochik (Post 635024)
The macuco port to the n900 was just included on extras-development.

Macuco was created by Paulo Cesar for the N800/N810 and was my favorite way of accessing gmail accounts. I decided to port it to the n900 and along the way tried to add some new features and use as many of the unique UI features on the n900.

Macuco can do much more than access your gmail account, it can give you access to many other web sites optimized for the iphone (google, facebook, twitter, cnn, ...). It is not supposed to replace your current web browser but some times you don't want to see the web site on the n900 like you do on your desktop just because you can! Most web sites optimized for the iphone will give you instant (or quicker) access to the real information you are looking for without many distractions.

Some of the features:
  • portrait and landscape modes
  • fullscreen option
  • bookmarks
  • zoom using volume buttons
  • keyboard shortcuts (Ctr+H:Home, Ctrl+B: Bookmarks, Ctr+G: Go to, Ctr+F: Fullscreen)
  • homepage with links to (some) web sites optimized for the the iphone.
  • popup menu - not the best but allows you to reload the page, move back or or forward

This is still a first beta relase but I have been using it on my n900 and it gets the work done. Please let me know of your comments, suggestions for new features, good web sites ...

Felipe

I used this on N810 and I'm happy to see it moved over and improved. Since hide user agent application breaks ovi store link and you are stuck with it unless you change options this is great. One browser for full sites and one for iphone sites. Would be awsome if you could include some kind of dashboard simular to tear. Another idea would be a list of site or some kind of portal that has lists of sites that works well with this browser.

meandu229 2010-04-30 14:01

installed,,working well,, i like it,, cheers

fcrochik 2010-04-30 14:09

Some screen prints:
http://www.crochik.com/macuco/macuco1.png

http://www.crochik.com/macuco/macuco2.png

http://www.crochik.com/macuco/macuco3.png

http://www.crochik.com/macuco/macuco4.png

http://www.crochik.com/macuco/macuco5.png

fcrochik 2010-04-30 14:14

@adrewfblack
I have to see tear dashboard but the "portal of sites" idea is there already - it is the "home page"...

I have a long list of other web sites to add there but did not have time to work on it yet. Also it would be great if I could use logos instead of these ugly buttons but I didn't want to risk someone complaining about me using their logos.

puelocesar 2010-04-30 14:51

Hey, thanks for continuing my work man! That's why I love open source. Hopefully someday I'll came back to this wonderful world when Nokia releases the Meego phone (I'm not buying a Maemo5 device to see it getting unsupported like my cool n810) :D

andrewfblack 2010-04-30 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcrochik (Post 635065)
@adrewfblack
I have to see tear dashboard but the "portal of sites" idea is there already - it is the "home page"...

I have a long list of other web sites to add there but did not have time to work on it yet. Also it would be great if I could use logos instead of these ugly buttons but I didn't want to risk someone complaining about me using their logos.

I see that now I havn't installed N900 version yet. I don't think you would have a problem using their logo for something like this. It would be simular to how chrome takes a snap shot of their website and uses your just using their logo.

borland 2010-04-30 15:08

Nice work. Wondering if it is possible to add shortcuts to the home screen? Currently using it- the gmail use is very nice.

silvermountain 2010-04-30 15:15

I used the original one when it was for N8x0.
Will this also be released for Diablo or has it moved so far from its origins that it can't be ported?

andrewfblack 2010-04-30 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermountain (Post 635110)
Will this also be released for Diablo or has it moved so far from its origins that it can't be ported?

I can always be ported back just would lose some features maybe.

fcrochik 2010-04-30 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by borland (Post 635105)
Nice work. Wondering if it is possible to add shortcuts to the home screen? Currently using it- the gmail use is very nice.

The home screen is actually a web page. My idea for a "near" future is to have grow the catalog of web sites that work with the application on this web site. A possible future would be to allow the user to customize them and keep them stored on the server. As far as the client goes you can use bookmarks but I agree that is not "as cool"

fcrochik 2010-04-30 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermountain (Post 635110)

I also have a n800 and don't want it to get obsolete! I will publish the diablo version soon.

thommy 2010-04-30 16:16

this is great! how difficult would it be to add geo-location capability?

fcrochik 2010-04-30 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by thommy (Post 635160)
this is great! how difficult would it be to add geo-location capability?

I would love that too but I haven't found how to ... Is there anybody out there that can provide some tips on how to enhance the webkit to do that?

nosa101 2010-04-30 16:45

Can you add Google wave?

The n900 browser doesn't google wave too well

EDIT: I went to google wave and it made my n900 reboot. IDK if this is a bug or something.

nokiaman 2010-04-30 17:10

Can you guys PLEASE post a link to download this app,please. Like many other I'm sure, I have no clue where extras-development is at. I have searched and searched and finally gave up.

Thanks in advance

nosa101 2010-04-30 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiaman (Post 635219)
Can you guys PLEASE post a link to download this app,please. Like many other I'm sure, I have no clue where extras-development is at. I have searched and searched and finally gave up.

Thanks in advance

read this to activate devel

adlayingemar 2010-04-30 17:27

i already try using gmail and twitter, and it working very nice. thank you. but when i try connect to facebook, it took very long time to load the page.

silvermountain 2010-04-30 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcrochik (Post 635155)
I also have a n800 and don't want it to get obsolete! I will publish the diablo version soon.

Awesome, thanks!

nokiaman 2010-04-30 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosa101 (Post 635223)
read this to activate devel

Thanks! Trying it out now.

nokiaman 2010-04-30 20:01

fcrochik

This is awsome! I'm now able to login to jetflicks and stream my tv shows! The only problem is that when I click on a link a page with all kind of words and numbers open and shuts down the browser.

Is there a way to make the browser open the link and use the media player to stream the show?

OR, Is it possible for you to make pages think the browser is ANDROID instead of iphone? I will send a good donation if you can help me work this out. The android hack would be best for me if you can do that!

Right now I just copy the link and paste it mplayer and it streams. But I want to be able just to click the link and stream the show.

Thanks!

fcrochik 2010-04-30 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiaman (Post 635432)
fcrochik

This is awsome! I'm now able to login to jetflicks and stream my tv shows! The only problem is that when I click on a link a page with all kind of words and numbers open and shuts down the browser.

Is there a way to make the browser open the link and use the media player to stream the show?

OR, Is it possible for you to make pages think the browser is ANDROID instead of iphone? I will send a good donation if you can help me work this out. The android hack would be best for me if you can do that!

Right now I just copy the link and paste it mplayer and it streams. But I want to be able just to click the link and stream the show.

Thanks!

nokiaman,
"Pretending" to be the android browser should be easy, it is just a matter of setting the right useragent. I don't know if web sites optimized for the android platform will have anything that is not "webkit" standard (the iphone has gestures for example). You can try on tear or midori to change the user agent and see what happens.

On a quick "google" I found this for the android user agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.0; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2

Getting macuco open the files externally will take a little more research/work... again it maybe be worth trying midori and tear to see if any of them can handle your scenario.

Please keep me posted... I will gladly try to add anything I can to macuco especially if is not handled by any of the other n900 browsers.

borland 2010-04-30 22:50

While it did crash on me a couple times, the browsing experience is great. The thing I really like, the way the Gmail and ebay working.
To reproduce crash: Start Macuco, go fullscreen, press on icon at the home page, while it loads press on the arrow (right bottom corner) to go back to normal screen and it crashes.

borland 2010-04-30 22:50

Hell, I use it as my main gmail app now =D

nokiaman 2010-04-30 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcrochik (Post 635504)
nokiaman,
"Pretending" to be the android browser should be easy, it is just a matter of setting the right useragent. I don't know if web sites optimized for the android platform will have anything that is not "webkit" standard (the iphone has gestures for example). You can try on tear or midori to change the user agent and see what happens.

On a quick "google" I found this for the android user agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.0; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2

Getting macuco open the files externally will take a little more research/work... again it maybe be worth trying midori and tear to see if any of them can handle your scenario.

Please keep me posted... I will gladly try to add anything I can to macuco especially if is not handled by any of the other n900 browsers.

If YOU can make it pretend its android I will be more than happy to make it worth your while. I have no clue how to do this stuff. I downloaded midori but have no clue how to install the thing. PLEASE make it work.

fcrochik 2010-04-30 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiaman (Post 635603)
If YOU can make it pretend its android I will be more than happy to make it worth your while. I have no clue how to do this stuff. I downloaded midori but have no clue how to install the thing. PLEASE make it work.

Is there any web site that you want to try in particular? Let me know and I will test...

fcrochik 2010-04-30 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by borland (Post 635592)
While it did crash on me a couple times, the browsing experience is great. The thing I really like, the way the Gmail and ebay working.
To reproduce crash: Start Macuco, go fullscreen, press on icon at the home page, while it loads press on the arrow (right bottom corner) to go back to normal screen and it crashes.

borland: I tried several times but could not get it to crash on mine... I will keep looking... please let me know of any other issues you can tell me how to reproduce.

Thanks

nokiaman 2010-04-30 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcrochik (Post 635618)
Is there any web site that you want to try in particular? Let me know and I will test...

http://jetflicks.mobi

this is the only website I care about making it work.

Livinmalife 2010-05-01 07:47

Quality app... I hate app versions of websites but have to admit my N900 is not always great on gmail. Now I can just use this instead...

props.

nikolajhendel 2010-05-01 08:44

support for gmail apps would be great! it seems to only support @gmail.com accounts atm.

fcrochik 2010-05-01 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolajhendel (Post 635905)
support for gmail apps would be great! it seems to only support @gmail.com accounts atm.

It does work for google apps you just need to select goto, and type the normal url for your google gmail app login page - google will recognize the browser and adjust the interface acordingly..

borland 2010-05-01 12:28

Here is a video of crash sorry for crappy quality, I was doing it at night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUoxFv_BJo

It happens let's say from 10times in 3-4attempts.

ivnvir 2010-05-01 13:19

great app, I've started a thread about it 2 or 3 days ago.

I would like to see a better bookmarking function and auto complete.

Maybe some way to go to the default zoom level too.

Anyway, that's greaaaaaaaaat by now! :D

fcrochik 2010-05-01 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by borland (Post 636215)
Here is a video of crash sorry for crappy quality, I was doing it at night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUoxFv_BJo

It happens let's say from 10times in 3-4attempts.

Borland,
This is what I call reporting a bug! It seems to be related to how fast the connection is and you trying to change things while the browser is loading the page. By using a slower connection (2.5) I was able to reproduce the error - still don't know where it is or how to fix it but know where to look for.

Thank you!

solidvox 2010-05-01 19:00

Canīt install, tells me thereīs a conflict with libqt4-maemo5-maemo5 (4.6.2~git20100203-0maemo1)Is this a PR 1.2 thing? :confused:

ivnvir 2010-05-02 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidvox (Post 636694)
Canīt install, tells me thereīs a conflict with libqt4-maemo5-maemo5 (4.6.2~git20100203-0maemo1)Is this a PR 1.2 thing? :confused:

Mine is ok, default PR1.1...

Conflict means you have the lib, but a different one, so if youre not using the leaked 1.2, might be cause of other app.

saxen 2010-05-02 16:48

ok, just tried, this app is great!! :o
not just for "mobile navigation", but becuse it's really well done...portrait mode works perfect, as it should be work on default web browser :P

auto rotation would be nice ;)

ps. i've found a little bug(?!), while writing passwords, letters are visible.. ;)

solidvox 2010-05-03 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivnvir (Post 638682)
Mine is ok, default PR1.1...

Conflict means you have the lib, but a different one, so if youre not using the leaked 1.2, might be cause of other app.

Thanks for your reply. I'm using PR 1.1. Removed all apps from devel and testing repos but I still get the same error. Any ideas which app could cause that problem?