maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [ANNOUNCE] www2sms - Send SMS via your providers website (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52754)

blubbi 2010-05-15 17:05

[ANNOUNCE] www2sms - Send SMS via your providers website

5 Attachment(s)
www2sms lets you send SMS via your providers Website.

Currently two providers are supported:
- O2 Germany (by myself)
- Vodafon Netherlands (by Shane)

The program is entirely written in Pyhton and uses python-mechanize to scrape the websites.

It's written modular, so it's easy to patch in new providers.
Your Address book is fully supported (well, not as nice as I would like it to be, but it is a start)

Now saves SMS to Conversation
(thanks gri for the code!)

Features for o2online (DE):
  • Send SMS anonymous
  • Send SMS with different sender ID
  • Send SMS as Flash SMS
  • Scheduling SMS is work in progress

ToDo:
  • Fix o2online.de scheduling
  • Find nicer Phone book workaround
  • Some cosmetic changes (Nicer Contact selection, etc)
  • Special characters like "äöü" do not show up in the send SMS

The advanced Tab only shows up if the provider features advanced settings.

I would like to promote the package to testing if no sever bugs occur. So PLEASE test.

Version 1.0.2 is in DEVEL right now.

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/www2sms/
http://maemo.org/packages/view/www2sms/

Please vote for the dependencies of www2sms:
python-mechanize
http://maemo.org/packages/view/python-mechanize/
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....11-1.1maemo4/

python-clientform
http://maemo.org/packages/view/python-clientform/
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....10-2.1maemo4/

Kind regards
Bjoern

adhrie 2010-05-15 17:16

Re: [ANNOUNCE] www2sms - Send SMS via your providers website

keep up the good work...

unfortunately i'm not using any of the supported provider
so i'll be waiting for more provider support (and i don't know anything about python programming also)

blubbi 2010-05-15 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhrie (Post 659828)
keep up the good work...

so i'll be waiting for more provider support (and i don't know anything about python programming also)

Jeah, well that's the problem...
Adding new providers is only possible if one has access to the target provider and some skills in python or a friend who has.

Well, any provider can be added, not only cellphone providers.
(Any webservice providing SMS)

I just started with o2online.de because I got 50 free SMS/month and was to lazy to fire up the browser each time. Shane contributed the "Vodavone Netherlands" provider.

So I am open for suggestions and patches are welcome as well ;-)

Cheers
Bjoern

HumanPenguin 2010-05-15 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhrie (Post 659828)
keep up the good work...

I have a fair bit of python experience.

If someone could point me to the sites I need to do this through vodafone UK and other providers Id be happy to work ut how to create modules for it.

I have been looking for a project to get into maemo development.

blubbi 2010-05-15 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanPenguin (Post 659842)
I have a fair bit of python experience.

If someone could point me to the sites I need to do this through vodafone UK and other providers Id be happy to work ut how to create modules for it.

I have been looking for a project to get into maemo development.

Well, do you have an account for those providers? If yes, all you need to do is the following:
  • Read on python-mechanize
  • Download www2sms and have a look at www2sms_providers.py
  • Add your own provider class to www2sms_providers.py (take the existing as example, o2online is rather complex because of the additions features, so for the beginning have a look at Vodafon NL)
  • Use FireFox Web Developer Plugin to easily get the forms to fill (Or Opera DragonFly)

If you don't have access to those providers, just look out for some public SMS-Service like http://sms.de or any other serious provider you use or found by google: http://www.google.com/search?q=free+sms

Go for one that does not use too much JavaScript, mechanize does not support JavaScript and you have to manually reconstruct what the JavaScript is doing.

Contact me via PM if you want to attend the project or contact me via SKYPE, XMMP. I am glad to help you start.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers
Bjoern

HumanPenguin 2010-05-15 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by blubbi (Post 659858)
Well, do you have an account for those providers? If yes, all you need to do is the following:
  • Read on python-mechanize
  • Download www2sms and have a look at www2sms_providers.py
  • Add your own provider class to www2sms_providers.py (take the existing as example, o2online is rather complex because of the additions features, so for the beginning have a look at Vodafon NL)
  • Use FireFox Web Developer Plugin to easily get the forms to fill (Or Opera DragonFly)

If you don't have access to those providers, just look out for some public SMS-Service like http://sms.de or any other serious provider you use or found by google: http://www.google.com/search?q=free+sms

Go for one that does not use too much JavaScript, mechanize does not support JavaScript and you have to manually reconstruct what the JavaScript is doing.

Contact me via PM if you want to attend the project or contact me via SKYPE, XMMP. I am glad to help you start.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers
Bjoern

I have a contract with vodafone uk.

Ill look around at stuff when I get home. ( At gfs atm)

I am not sure if vodafone UK even provides such a service but will look into it.

blubbi 2010-05-15 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanPenguin (Post 659895)
I have a contract with vodafone uk.

Ill look around at stuff when I get home. ( At gfs atm)

I am not sure if vodafone UK even provides such a service but will look into it.

If Vodafon UK has such a service, it should be straight forward to modify the existing Vodafon NL class to match Vodafon UK (If the websites are not too different)

Cheers
Bjoern

MaRRo81 2010-05-17 13:22

Hi,

I've installed the last version of www2sms from extra-devel but when I launch it, it doesn't work...It starts loading but then nothing happens and the window closes...what could it be?

Many thanks

MaRRo81 2010-05-17 13:48

If I launch it from shell it says " QGtkStyle cannot be used together wit GTK_Qt engine. Segmentation fault".

Any ideas?

blubbi 2010-05-17 14:43

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaRRo81 (Post 662424)
If I launch it from shell it says " QGtkStyle cannot be used together wit GTK_Qt engine. Segmentation fault".

Any ideas?

Mmmmh, that weird. I once got that error when launching www2sms.py as root. But after dropping root privileges and running
"cd /opt/www2sms/"
"python www2sms.py"
it started right away.

Could you download the attached version, extract it an run it from the console?
(There is only a fix included for "Umlaute", I completely forgot to test for that and... using Umlaute, mechanize fails to send the SMS)

Did you install version 1.0.0 via the package manager?

Cheers
Bjoern

MaRRo81 2010-05-17 15:37

Yes I used the packet manager to download it.

I tried the version you attached and the problem is the same: if I launch python command as root I get this message: "QGtkStyle cannot be used together wit GTK_Qt engine. Segmentation fault".

If I launch python command as normal user I get this (with your version and also with the one I've previously installed):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 451, in <module>
ui = MainWindow()
File "/home/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 55, in __init__
self.my_phone_book = self.get_contacts()
File "/home/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 200, in get_contacts
contact_and_numbers = [item.decode('utf-8')]
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'decode'

Hope it will help,

thanks!

DaSilva 2010-05-17 16:30

If I only start "/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py" from command line it works but it won't start from the shortcut in the menu.

MaRRo81 2010-05-17 17:18

no, it shows me always the same error :(

blubbi 2010-05-17 21:06

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaRRo81 (Post 662623)
Yes I used the packet manager to download it.

I tried the version you attached and the problem is the same: if I launch python command as root I get this message: "QGtkStyle cannot be used together wit GTK_Qt engine. Segmentation fault".

If I launch python command as normal user I get this (with your version and also with the one I've previously installed):

File "/home/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 451, in <module>
ui = MainWindow()
File "/home/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 55, in __init__
File "/home/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 200, in get_contacts

Hope it will help,

thanks!

Okay, I fixed the "AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'decode' "

When neither a name, family name or alias was found for a contact I add "No name found" but instead of a string, I added it as a list item, which of course has no decode attribute ;-) (was left over from some previous code)

I am wondering at that point: Do you really have a contact without name, family name, alias? Could you check that and try the attached version if it fixes the the error for you?

But by no means I can replicate the "QGtkStyle cannot be used together wit GTK_Qt engine. Segmentation fault". Anyone else with this error?

Do you have any special Desktop environment?

blubbi 2010-05-17 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaSilva (Post 662699)
If I only start "/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py" from command line it works but it won't start from the shortcut in the menu.

Two ideas:

in www2sms.py change the first line from

#!/usr/bin/env python
to
#!/usr/bin/python

if this does not help, try do edit the desktopfile (/usr/share/applications/hildon/www2sms.desktop) from:
Exec=/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py
to
Exec=/usr/bin/python /opt/www2sms/www2sms.py
or
Exec=python /opt/www2sms/www2sms.py

But I am not shure about that ;-)

Thanks for testing, I appreciate it very much!

Cheers
Bjoern

DaSilva 2010-05-17 21:38

I don't know why but it starts now from the menu shortcut.
Maybe only the first run wasn't successful but after that but I don't know why, sorry.

blubbi 2010-05-17 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaSilva (Post 663124)
I don't know why but it starts now from the menu shortcut.
Maybe only the first run wasn't successful but after that but I don't know why, sorry.

Mmmh, might be due to the fact that python byte-compiles all modules. Maybe I should distribute the package pre-compiled.
This would speed up the first start (Well, there is some room for startup speed improvement anyway by only loading the really neede QT modules)

Thanks for reporting back.

Cheers
Bjoern

DaSilva 2010-05-17 22:04

Does www2sms already add sent messages to the conversations?
If not how long does it take to implement it approx.?
Thanks

blubbi 2010-05-17 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaSilva (Post 663158)
Does www2sms already add sent messages to the conversations?

No

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaSilva (Post 663158)
If not how long does it take to implement it approx.?
Thanks

First I would like to stabilize the app and then throw myself into this problem. There is, as far as I investigated, no pythonic way to insert send SMS into conversations, so I would have to mess around with ctypes for python or somehow play around with D-Bus...

So as soon as all these little nasty bugs have vanished (like not launching from Desktop-Icon, and the Segmentation fault) I'll head straight forward to the SMS insertion to conversation.

Any help or suggestions on this particular topic are highly appreciated! ;-)

Thanks for the feedback,
Bjoern

MaRRo81 2010-05-18 07:30

Hi! Now it works as normal user (the one you attached) - didn't try as root yet.

The strange thing is that the first time I launched it, it didn't work ..unfortunatelly I didn't write the message down :( It was always a problem related to name, surname and alias.

Then I checked my address book and I saw that there was a duplication of some contacts..I adjusted them and then the program started working...

I hope it was useful..Now I'm gonna see how it works:)

PS: I don't have any particular Desktop enviroment .. I also thought it was a problem related to the theme I use but the problem arises also with the standard ones :(

MaRRo81 2010-05-18 07:35

Wow..now works also the version installed through application manager! :) good!

so the problem was related to contact duplications'?

blubbi 2010-05-18 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaRRo81 (Post 663599)
Hi! Now it works as normal user (the one you attached) - didn't try as root yet.

The strange thing is that the first time I launched it, it didn't work ..unfortunatelly I didn't write the message down :( It was always a problem related to name, surname and alias.

Then I checked my address book and I saw that there was a duplication of some contacts..I adjusted them and then the program started working...

I hope it was useful..Now I'm gonna see how it works:)

Mmmh, interesting, my "contact gathering class" shouldn't worry about duplicate contacts, but maybe python-evolution complains at some point. Could you try to replicate the bug and send me the output?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaRRo81 (Post 663603)
Wow..now works also the version installed through application manager! :) good!

so the problem was related to contact duplications'?

I am kinda surprised... I just tried to add a contact without name, surname or alias, and that is not allowed, so my list <-> string mix-up bug should never have been triggered. Please, please try to replicate the bug and see if in the contact selection box a contact appears with "No name available" or if an error rises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaRRo81 (Post 663599)
PS: I don't have any particular Desktop enviroment .. I also thought it was a problem related to the theme I use but the problem arises also with the standard ones :(

Mhh, that's odd. Lets see if we find more users with a encounter of the 4th kind ;)

Cheers
Bjoern

MaRRo81 2010-05-18 08:38

No...it's not related to duplication...mhh . I'm working on it to replicate the problem :)

nexus101 2010-05-18 09:09

Hi Bjoern,

I've just emailed you about problems installing www2sms on Maemo with libqt4.5 librarys.

The problem is that, the "Program manager" can't install www2sms because it depends on libqt4-core (>= 4.6.2) and libqt4-gui (>=4.6.2).
An automatic update to libqt4.6 is not possible.

Trying to install www2sms via xterm and 'apt-get install www2sms'
reveals, that is also depends on python2.5-qt4-gui (>=4.6.2) which itself depends on a bunch of libqt4-xxx (>=4.6.2).

So, I tried to manually update the system by installing these libs by downloading them and "dpkg -i" via xterm. Unfortunately, it's not possible to completely resolve all dependencies because the graphical program manager seems to depend on libqt4.5.3. So, I downgraded to libqt4.5 again.

In '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/hilden-application-manager.list' are the following 'fremantl"-entries:

deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ fremantle free non-free
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/ fremantle free non-free

Am I missing something here to upgrade to libqt4.6?
How did you upgraded to libqt4.6 with your N900? :-)
(Or more easy for us dumb users ;-) -- ) Can you provide www2sms for libqt4.5? :-)

Thanks a lot!
nexus

NokiaRocks 2010-05-18 09:12

I can't really find the python stuff in the program manager (extras testing and devel activated).

And is it completely free when sending sms with this app ?

MaRRo81 2010-05-18 09:17

I've just discovered an interesting thing: if you send an email to someone you don't have in your personal address book, the N900 standard email client will add the email address to the address book.: your address book will show something like xxx@yyy.com. If you open the contact you will see that only an email address is present (no name, surname or alias present)

If you try to create an email contact directly from your address book, it will ask you to put a name at least...this means is impossible to add only an email address...

Let's go back to our program: If the email address is present in my address book, the program doesn't work and it shows me this error:

File "/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 451, in <module>
ui = MainWindow()
File "/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 55, in __init__
File "/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 200, in get_contacts

If I delete this email contact, the program works fine!

Just one thing: now the problem seems to appear only with the previous version (the one installed through the app. manager). The new one gave me this problem only once!

MaRRo81 2010-05-18 09:23

@nexus101: If i remember well you have to go to app. manager, disable extra-devel, install pythonfullinstall (I don't remember exactly the name) then re-enable the extra-devel and install www2sms.

Try!

PS: It worked for me :)

blubbi 2010-05-18 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaRocks (Post 663726)
I can't really find the python stuff in the program manager (extras testing and devel activated).

And is it completely free when sending sms with this app ?

You must know if it is free for you to send SMS via your providers Website (if your provider is supported yet)

Kind regards
Bjoern

nexus101 2010-05-18 09:32

PyQt4 full install .. ok, i try that :-)
thanks,
nexus

blubbi 2010-05-18 09:37

I don't know how much the PR1.2 changes affect all these "Can not install" request.

Put it seems to me, that all people who tried this tool before the infrastructure changes for 1.2 were introduced, had no problem to install it.

Any comments on that thought?

DEVEL/TESTING _MUST_ be active when installing www2sms cause python-clientform and python-mechanize are in the DEVEL repository, though promoted to testin... VOTE FOR THEM ;-)

I'll see if I can update mechanize to 2.0.1. It will remove the dependency to python-clientform.

Thanks to all for testing!

Cheers
Bjoern

nexus101 2010-05-18 09:41

@MaRRo81

okay, cool. That worked. I could install www2sms. Quite useful such a forum ;-)

Now, www2sms has been installed but as soon as i click on the "www2sms" icon, nothing really happens. In the top panel "www2sms" can be read and a "busy"-Icon is next to that. After a second or two, it seems to crash without any hint.

regards,
nexus

MaRRo81 2010-05-18 09:42

Thank to you for the nice application..I'm gonna try to add the support for an italian sms web provider!

Ciao!

MaRRo81 2010-05-18 09:44

@nexus101: mhh try to launch it from comman line:

python /opt/www2sms(version)/www2sms.py

and have a look at the error: try to see if it is the same error that I had (look at the first posts of this thread)

blubbi 2010-05-18 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaRRo81 (Post 663731)
I've just discovered an interesting thing: if you send an email to someone you don't have in your personal address book, the N900 standard email client will add the email address to the address book.: your address book will show something like xxx@yyy.com. If you open the contact you will see that only an email address is present (no name, surname or alias present)

If you try to create an email contact directly from your address book, it will ask you to put a name at least...this means is impossible to add only an email address...

Let's go back to our program: If the email address is present in my address book, the program doesn't work and it shows me this error:

File "/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 451, in <module>
ui = MainWindow()
File "/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 55, in __init__
File "/opt/www2sms/www2sms.py", line 200, in get_contacts

If I delete this email contact, the program works fine!

Just one thing: now the problem seems to appear only with the previous version (the one installed through the app. manager). The new one gave me this problem only once!

Aha, maybe you should file a Bug about this... Adding contacts without names automatically... but disallow the same if you add a contact manually.

Okay, the new one (v1.0.1) should no longer stumble upon this cause it was just a left over that I added "item" for this special case as a list instead of a string.

The part of the code where this happend:
v1.0.0
Code:

for econtact in contacts:
 contact = [econtact.get_property(name_attributes[2]), econtact.get_property(name_attributes[1]), econtact.get_property(name_attributes[3])]
 if contact[0] and contact[1]:
  item = "%s, %s" %(contact[0], contact[1])
 elif contact[0] and not contact[1]:
  item = "%s" %(contact[0])
 elif not contact[0] and contact[1]:
  item = "%s" %(contact[1])
 elif not contact[0] and not contact[1] and contact[2]:
  item = "%s" %(contact[2])
 else:
  item = ["No name available"]
# Everything is stored in UTF-8 so we decode it for the QT-GUI

So it was just to change from:
item = ["No name available"]
to
item = "No name available"

Thanks for the testing!

blubbi 2010-05-18 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nexus101 (Post 663771)
@MaRRo81

okay, cool. That worked. I could install www2sms. Quite useful such a forum ;-)

Now, www2sms has been installed but as soon as i click on the "www2sms" icon, nothing really happens. In the top panel "www2sms" can be read and a "busy"-Icon is next to that. After a second or two, it seems to crash without any hint.

regards,
nexus

I guess you triggered the "Empty name bug"

I'll push v1.0.1 devel repository since we found the bug and I could eliminate it.

Expect v1.0.1 or v1.0.2 in the DEVEL-Repo tonight.

So we do not have any longer to worry about that stupid bug I introduced.

nexus101 2010-05-18 09:52

ok, then I see an error message, but not the same as yours:

"File "www2sms.py" line 26, in <module>
import os, errno, pwd, sys, math, sqlite3, time, calendar, evolution, re
ImportError: No module named evolution"

It seems that python-evolution package is missing?

nexus

gri 2010-05-18 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by blubbi (Post 663181)
There is, as far as I investigated, no pythonic way to insert send SMS into conversations, so I would have to mess around with ctypes for python or somehow play around with D-Bus...

Even if I stay in a sort of "competition" with www2sms because I created the Web2SMS project, I hope I can help you there.

Take a look at this post, I think the code should work to insert sms into conversations. (due the help of frals)

blubbi 2010-05-18 09:55

Yes, but it depends on it... how could the package manager install it without python-evolution?

Oh... damn... another BUG... python-evolution is missing in my dependencies...

Depends: python (>= 2.5), python2.5-qt4-gui (>= 4.6.2-maemo20091218.0), python-mechanize (>= 0.1.11-1.1maemo1), pymaemo-optify, libsqlite3-0

*grml*

I'll fix it. It's in the DEVEL repo by tonight.

Thanks again.
Bjoern

NokiaRocks 2010-05-18 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by blubbi (Post 663754)
You must know if it is free for you to send SMS via your providers Website (if your provider is supported yet)

Kind regards
Bjoern

Using O2 (klarmobil).

maemomatic 2010-05-18 09:56

Hi, perhaps this is slightly OT, but I was wondering whether such an app could be used to send sms via commercial providers such as Vyke (http://www.vyke.com).

Vyke makes an app for Symbian phones allowing users to send sms through its servers directly from the normal sms interface on their mobile. They never released a version for N900, so in order to use it I now need to use their website on MicroB.