maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Nitdroid: GPS works already (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61739)

Jaco2k 2010-09-05 08:58

Nitdroid: GPS works already

info removed due to generating negative impression on board members

tswindell 2010-09-05 09:37

Re: Nitdroid: GPS works already

Your topic is misleading, you can't use the inbuilt GPS with NITdroid and it's unlikely to happen in the near future. Can you mention bluetooth in your topic so people actually know the rather pointless message you're attempting to spread ..

bsving 2010-09-05 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by tswindell (Post 807716)
Your topic is misleading, you can't use the inbuilt GPS with NITdroid and it's unlikely to happen in the near future. Can you mention bluetooth in your topic so people actually know the rather pointless message you're attempting to spread ..

actually, this is great news. I have a couple of bt gps'es that I used for the N800. Now I can use them and google maps (if i ever will find it in the total mess called android market)

tswindell 2010-09-05 09:57

I wasn't discounting the value of the post, but he's being deliberately misleading in his topic ...

Stskeeps 2010-09-05 10:20

On a sidenote, wasn't the majority of nitdroid discussions moved to the nitdroid forums?

tswindell 2010-09-05 10:35

It would be nice, get rid of some of the polution in this forum.

dj_steve 2010-09-05 11:02

yep forum.nitdroid.com please, this post will get closed soon

YoDude 2010-09-05 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 807725)
On a sidenote, wasn't the majority of nitdroid discussions moved to the nitdroid forums?

I imagine this must have been discussed by you guys off this board somewhere however, for us folk in the cheap seats, could you please explain what relationship these other forums you speak of have with maemo.org?

I don't see any "nitroid forums" >> HERE <<
and a scan of our Community forum does not show why these threads you speak of were moved.

I hope I'm not beeing seen as being difficult here. It's just that I am in these forums most every day and become involved in many topics in order to provide whatever help or support I can give to my fellow members.

In my replies I do not want to look like more of an *** than I sometimes already do but in my effort to minimize this, I don't want to appear too stupid. :)

Could you offer some insight into what motivated your sidenote and perhaps point to where these decisions were made and the discussions that led up to them if they in fact were.

You are right, these threads are no longer here and I have no idea why or how they were moved other than another "sidenote" from a mod in another thread. Perhaps others are just as clueless as well.

Asking us to respond to what I assume is a rhetorical question is kind of like a shepherd cutting the throat of a sheep in front of the whole flock. The other sheep may not know why he did what he did but it does get their attention and it then makes herding the remaining sheep a lot easier for some reason. :)

dj_steve 2010-09-05 11:34

they were moved as we had 2 huge thread in this very forum that were just getting filled with mostly useless junk, moved them to the nitdrodi forums purely as its easier to keep this organised their and its more tailored layout for nitdroid itself

geneven 2010-09-05 12:09

Some people disagreed with the move and posted their opinions, but it appeared to me that the decision was made before they posted.

The fact is we appreciate the Nitdroid programmers immensely, but that doesn't mean we necessarily agree with the move.

When I posted questions about the move, I was basically told that I should have posted them privately. I felt that I was being told that the move was none of my durned business -- after all, I'm just a regular person, not a developer or a moderator, both of which have licences to kill (threads).

dj_steve 2010-09-05 12:10

yes im aware people were not happy about it, but it makes things alot neater and its not like i have disappeared from here :)

sepehrsfmech 2010-09-05 12:12

the other forum is completely a joke.....

i mean nitdroid is made for maemo and only maemo not anything else...

djsteve could have contacted the forums admin to delete the posts and only let nitdroid admins post stuff

dj_steve 2010-09-05 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sepehrsfmech (Post 807770)
the other forum is completely a joke.....

i mean nitdroid is made for maemo and only maemo not anything else...

djsteve could have contacted the forums admin to delete the posts and only let nitdroid admins post stuff

hmm so you would want the already overloaded admins/mods of this board to go dedicating probably an hour or more of their time to deleting posts from 2 100+page threads aswell as numorous smaller ones.

Stskeeps 2010-09-05 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoDude (Post 807753)
I imagine this must have been discussed by you guys off this board somewhere however, for us folk in the cheap seats, could you please explain what relationship

Just a sidenote, just noticed the nitdroid guys moved and hence wondering. And I'm not involved with any of their decisions.

Quote:

these other forums you speak of have with maemo.org?
Well, opposite is what the posts have to do with maemo.org (yes, I know, this is a difficult "back to iTT days" discussion which I really don't want to have. But the point is that the developers asked to move to their own place, separating from maemo.org which some of you also chant to do with these forums back into iTT .. :)

Quote:

Could you offer some insight into what motivated your sidenote and perhaps point to where these decisions were made and the discussions that led up to them if they in fact were.
Not a mod, not involved with nitdroid, just wondered why these topics keep popping up here when there's a place for them..

Jaco2k 2010-09-05 14:15

I appologize to all for my post. It will also be my last post here. Sorry if it caused any inconvenience. I will edit the original post and remove the information or preferrably, a mod can just delete it.

BTW, attacking someone who is just trying to help is lame, cheap and a sign of frustration so... screw YOU - and YOU know who YOU are.

bsving 2010-09-05 16:19

Fragmenting the users of the Nokia N900 into forums based on installed OS, what a truly magnificent idea :) not!!

On the other hand, maybe not so bad idea. Then we get the pubic holier than thou - "have you heard about google?" - crowd in one place: here :D

I mean, this is a truly sad (or funny) place. Any question is followed by a dozen "try google", "don't litter our forum", "stop whining" etc etc. And now this... The most positive and informative post in ages in here.

YoDude 2010-09-06 02:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_steve (Post 807755)
they were moved as we had 2 huge thread in this very forum that were just getting filled with mostly useless junk, moved them to the nitdrodi forums purely as its easier to keep this organised their and its more tailored layout for nitdroid itself

Oh I see. I didn't know that. That's what I mean about being an *** sometimes. :o Silly me.

I was under the impression that:

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://62.61.85.167/legal/termsofuse.html
...These pages may not be duplicated for any other reason or purpose. Copies of these pages may not be modified.

You may refer to these pages from other pages via Uniform Resource Locators (URLs). These pages may not be permanently stored on any system other than www.maemo.org that is capable of retrieving them via HTTP.

I realize this was Last Published: 03/30/2007 and things change but I could find nothing that supersedes this. So who do I contact?

Do you think I can get them to close down the whole "off topic" section and move the posts to my own forum? If it was under my control, I'm sure a more tailored layout for off topic posts can be developed to make them easier to organize as well.

(That^ last italicized bit was only a very meager attempt to offer some comedy to help illustrate concerns about where this may lead. It was not meant to be disrespectful in any way. :) )

I always admired the resourcefulness of the "Nitroid" project and that is a good thing. I also regarded it as a bit of a curiosity. I felt that it could only get so far though, without breaking licensing agreements or involving witchcraft or suttin' :D

As I said earlier, I am often wrong so I would often pop in on those "less organized" Nitroid threads to see how things were going. (I may have also posted an opinion or suggestion or two, I don't recall...)
I also felt that the member participation level in those threads could be an indication to the powers that be at Nokia (and also this board) of what some users/members want, and ultimately expect in their cell phone's OS.

For good or ill, the growth or decline in that participation as it relates to total membership was worth noting. Now however, the Nitroid project does not even offer "curiosity" to a maemo.org only member and I don't think that this is a good thing. YMMV :)

*Sonic* 2010-09-06 17:42

FWIW since the locking of nitdroid threads here I hardly come to this forum in comparison to what I did

Im a relatively new user here and the way things have been going I can no longer be bothered going through the threads anymore

The only thing that I ended up getting from this forum was the nitdroid stuff of late and now thats been stopped and moved to its own forum

tswindell 2010-09-06 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsving (Post 807946)
Fragmenting the users of the Nokia N900 into forums based on installed OS, what a truly magnificent idea :) not!!

On the other hand, maybe not so bad idea. Then we get the pubic holier than thou - "have you heard about google?" - crowd in one place: here :D

I mean, this is a truly sad (or funny) place. Any question is followed by a dozen "try google", "don't litter our forum", "stop whining" etc etc. And now this... The most positive and informative post in ages in here.

I think it's a fine idea, I don't much care for Android on the N900. Also, this forum is not and was never oriented at a specific device. It was however targeted at a line of devices that run the Maemo GNU/Linux software.

I'm also getting quite sick of all this baiting from users thinking Android is going to solve all of their problems, and, using that view as fodder against those of us that enjoy and work with Maemo.

bsving 2010-09-06 18:38

Well, Maemo is dead, get over it. But the N900 is not dead, unless it get fragmented to pieces by "purists" or some snobbish "old school" maemo fanatics. Android on the N900 is perhaps not an ideal combination, but it IS cool, and very much in the spirit of the N900 to be able to install it, and use it.

The N9 is soon here, and when it happens, I know I for one, would like to do all sorts of crazy things with my N900, like installing Android, or WinXP or whatever. I sure couldn't care less for Meamo. But I would like a Pr1.3 before that happends.

tswindell 2010-09-06 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsving (Post 808814)
Well, Maemo is dead, get over it. But the N900 is not dead, unless it get fragmented to pieces by "purists" or some snobbish "old school" maemo fanatics. Android on the N900 is perhaps not an ideal combination, but it IS cool, and very much in the spirit of the N900 to be able to install it, and use it.

The N9 is soon here, and when it happens, I know I for one, would like to do all sorts of crazy things with my N900, like installing Android, or WinXP or whatever. I sure couldn't care less for Meamo. But I would like a Pr1.3 before that happends.

Though I agree with your sentiment regarding Android on the N900, it is neat and all. Maemo is not so much dead as it is evolving. The next device will run Harmattan, which is far more Maemo than it is MeeGo. So Maemo isn't really dead yet. And as long as these devices are supported by the community through SSU an until a decent MeeGo instance is available this place will continue to stay alive.

My issue is with those, like the OP, fanaticism that I don't much appreciate.

Jaco2k 2010-09-07 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by tswindell (Post 808819)
My issue is with those, like the OP, fanaticism that I don't much appreciate.

If you argue with a 1diot (excuse the spelling, it is to avoid any filtering) you will be quickly dragged to their level.

Hate to have to come back here to post something but you are a bit ut of line now and someone must put you to your place.

1. Excuse me but, is this the "Alternatives" forum or the "Modifications allowed by tswindell's Nazi attitude" forum? If you think that I can only run Maemo on my mobile computer you are damn wrong and this should be the whole point of hacking and a progressive mindset - getting devices to do things they are really not mean't to. Because it is fun. Until some conservative and loud narrow mind comes along and decides(?) what can or cannot be done

2. Fanatical??? Really??? :) Me????? So I casually post on the correct forum to let people know about something they can do on their device and maybe haven't thought about and you call that "fanatical"? Yet, if anyone reads your inflamed posts, I am sure it is obvious what YOU are.

3. You have so far failed to make any other point except that you are wrong. There are rules in Forums and last I checked none were broken here - just wrote it on my edit because YOU annoyed me so much with your negative attitude. I suggest you propose to Admins that they completely remove the "Alternatives" forum and as they are at it ban anyone from discussing anything else about Maemo other than sending SMSs or browsing the net.

You got issues, man. If you are not doing it yet, seek therapy :)

lemmyslender 2010-09-07 13:20

I don't know who is worse in this forum anymore, the trolls who were cluttering it up, or the members who have taken it upon themselves to jump in on any thread that they feel is "useless" (in their opinion) and effectively chase of potential new members with their attitude.

Each and every post has a "Report this post" button. I really wish those members would just report the post rather than cluttering up the forum and thread with their opinions on how a particular post is a troll, or a "deliberate" attempt to mislead, or cluttering up the forum. The irony of posting just to complain about how the thread is cluttering up the forum is unbelievable.

I would add the MeeGo/Harmattan forum to the list of things that should be removed. It is not need here as it is not 100% Maemo, and as this is a Maemo forum, it should be disallowed :) Additionally, we should probably ban all mention of Easy Debian as well.

@ Jaco2k - I found your post informative and useful. I would love to try using my bluetooth gps with nitdroid. However, I can't find a link to the app you mentioned, as nitdroid doesn't access the full marketplace. Any chance you could pm me an email address so we could discuss it further? (I'd hate to have anyone accuse me of asking for a free app, as asking for warez).

It's generally a good forum, don't let a few curmudgeons spoil it for you. Post what you find useful. If anyone give you any unreasonable static, put em on ignore.

On a side note, I wish there were still subforums in the alternative section. I think it would have been nice to have a nitdroid subforum where we could discuss that project. I understand completely why the longer threads were requested to be closed, but I sure didn't think it would become a "banned" topic. I would think anyone interested in nitdroid is going to wind up here first, and if there is no mention of it here, they will have a much harder time finding out about it.

dj_steve 2010-09-07 13:22

looking throught this forum itself it seems it isnt a banned topic just any of the bigger issues are being requested to move to the nit forums, otherwise they are staying here

geneven 2010-09-07 13:30

In my opinion, and I participate in the Nitdroid forum as well as here, you have made things a LOT easier by switching most of your support to the Nitdroid forum. This is because a lot of people have stopped asking questions altogether. So if the object of the switch was to discourage people from trying out Nitdroid, the move really accomplished that. (I'm going by my count of messages on the Nitdroid forum vs the number of messages that were being left here. Feel free to contradict me.)

As for those people who say this site belongs to Maemo, well I got here before the Maemo folks took ownership, so I don't feel that way. I think this site is REALLY InternetTabletTalk in chains. I will resist any attempts to tell me that this site is owned by Maemo, especially when Nokia is about to abandon Maemo.

lemmyslender 2010-09-07 14:47

I apologize. "banned" was probably the wrong word to use.

Between tswindell's negative responses, stskeeps noting that the majority of discussions had moved to nitdroid forums (a helpful comment as opposed to a negative comment), and dj_steve noting the the post "will get closed soon", it kind of leaves the impression that nitdroid discussion here on TMO is being actively discouraged.

I know there are other threads discussing nitdroid, and I've notice several of them have requests to move discussion to forum.nitdroid.com.

I am also checking in at forum.nitdroid.com daily as well. Thanks for all the hard work those devs are putting in. I understand it can get frustrating seeing so many new users asking the same questions over and over (and questions which indicate they probably shouldn't be trying it). What I don't get is the seemingly active attempt to limit discussion here.

I saw n900 host mode discussions here that were cluttered with stupid questions, but also some new blood jumping in. Then discussion was moved elsewhere, and it seems not much more progress was being made, but more importantly decreased visibility lessened the chance that new people would get involved.

As I look forward to using nitdroid (if not on a daily basis, at least a regular basis), I sincerely hope that it doesn't get stuck for a lack of expertise in an unforeseen critical area, and not have the visibility to attract that expertise.

Of course if this thread hadn't started out the way it did, it probably would be dead and buried after 6 or so posts. Instead, it remains alive and cluttering the forum :)

Jaco2k 2010-09-07 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmyslender (Post 809511)
@ Jaco2k - I found your post informative and useful. I would love to try using my bluetooth gps with nitdroid. However, I can't find a link to the app you mentioned, as nitdroid doesn't access the full marketplace.

At least for my location (Finland) this application is in Android marketplace - I found it and installed it when I was randomly browsing it.

Either way, click here to get it - this is what I am using and... hope this post does not annoy anyone.

lemmyslender 2010-09-10 16:45

Just wanted to pass along (as it is useful) this program will actually allow you to use a bluetooth GPS with NitDroid (or any Android for that matter).

Free version is limited to 10 minutes, then disconnects, but can be re-connected repeatedly.

Maps and Navigation (with Voice) both work. Some of the Golf GPS programs work as well. Very useful until the internal GPS is fixed.

Thanks to Jaco2k who got me looking for an app like this.

Laughing Man 2010-09-10 17:03

Quote:

On a side note, I wish there were still subforums in the alternative section. I think it would have been nice to have a nitdroid subforum where we could discuss that project. I understand completely why the longer threads were requested to be closed, but I sure didn't think it would become a "banned" topic. I would think anyone interested in nitdroid is going to wind up here first, and if there is no mention of it here, they will have a much harder time finding out about it.

I still don't understand why we don't have subforums anymore for major projects (easy Debian and Nitdroid).

bunanson 2010-09-10 19:44

Quote:

It's generally a good forum... Post what you find useful. ...

Buy. Want.

bun

gsever 2010-09-10 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughing Man (Post 812842)
I still don't understand why we don't have subforums anymore for major projects (easy Debian and Nitdroid).

I support this idea. There must be a separate section for Easy Debian.

bunanson 2010-09-10 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughing Man (Post 812842)

From my memory lane, several months back, there was a decision made (?) that ALL subforums are to be merged into ONE big subforum, the Alternatives, and specific interests are to be labelled with tags. I was told, as I complained openly and bitterly, this merging into one Alternatives subforum would decrease chaos, increase signal to noise ratio,...even accomplish as much as Tiger Wood! Any how, it is beyond me that click on a subforum is percieved NOT as convenient as click on Alternatives + search + advance search + tags (search engine itself is another joke). Bottomline, unless there is a change in policy, subforum is NOT being encouraged.

bun

lemmyslender 2010-09-10 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunanson (Post 812948)
Buy. Want.

bun

It's a little touchy, have had to un-pair / re-pair GPS to get it to work twice, but I've only got it set up since last night.

As I couldn't find it on the internet or marketplace, I emailed support and they sent me a copy of the free version.

At only $3, I'll probably buy it next week. Even if NitDroid gets GPS working, my bluetooth seems more accurate and stable. So it will still have its' uses.

gsever 2010-09-10 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmyslender (Post 812822)
Maps and Navigation (with Voice) both work.

How is your experience with these tools comparing to the alternatives on Maemo5?

lemmyslender 2010-09-10 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsever (Post 812994)
How is your experience with these tools comparing to the alternatives on Maemo5?

To preface this, my only experience with Android is via NitDroid (I haven't used Sygic either).

Driving home tonight, running Maps/Navigation was a joy compared to using Ovi Maps. Easy to type in a location with the onscreen keyboard. It quickly found my destination (I typed YMCA and was presented with the 3 closest, selected the right one) and off I went. I Re-routing was quick and easy. There are several different views you can quickly select. You can also get the traffic view to show up as well.

Another nice feature was the street view that shows up when you reach your destination (you can also get it from a button on the nav screen as well).

Voice worked at lunch (very much a computer voice as opposed to human). It didn't work on the way home? Not sure why. More playing needed.

I have good T-Mobile 3g coverage, and did not notice it pausing to download more map tiles, ran smooth the whole time.

As I mentioned the trial bluetooth mouse GPS software kicks off after 10min, but only took a couple seconds to restart. Finding my recent destinations were right off the main Find Directions menu, very convenient.

It also appears to work with at least 2 of the 3 golf gps programs I installed (haven't gone golfing yet though).

Downside is you need a data connection to use it. If Ovi Maps wouldn't require a data connection (despite having all the info it needs to search) it would at least be semi-useful where you don't have service. Since it does require a data connection, NitDroid beats it hands down.

I keep wanting to write a review (but I'm sure you can find plenty of those), so I'll just say it was pleasant and easy to use, did what it was supposed to (or at least what I expect of a Navigation app), which is far more than I can say for Ovi Maps.

If Ovi Maps doesn't get an update (either via PR1.3 if we ever get that, or at QT that we can run), I'll probably delete the US maps (almost 1GB) regain that space, and boot over to NitDroid for my Navigation needs. Major bonus when calling and gps work in NitDroid (and I'm sure they will at some point).

bunanson 2010-09-11 00:34

Great review, pal lemmyslender!

To use bt on 0.0.8 nitdroid, do this under maemo.
From forum.nitdroid.com helper, mornage with modification:
========================
root
cd ~/MyDocs
wget http://downloads.nitdroid.com/nitins...00-700.tar.bz2
bzip2 -d oc-profile-500-700.tar.bz2
mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /and
cd /and
tar xvf ~/MyDocs/oc-profile-500-700.tar
cd ~/MyDocs
umount /and
=============================

I was able to test Bluetooth GPS, Bluetooth GPS Mouse Unlimited, and also a vivid user of ovi map.

1st thanks to OPs report about external GPS, and the idea of search about similar apps, thanks.

1) Bluetooth GPS. It works like a charm. Go Android market, dl and install. You have to pre-pair your BT GPS. once pre-pair, open Bluetooth GPS, and choose your BT GPS device, it connects right away, and it also open map and allows one to look at map. It runs very smooth. Absolutely smooth without any hiccup. Unfortunately that is ALL to it. I was NOT able to make it run background. That means you would NOT be able to run any other apps while Bluetooth GPS is running. I have to confess that I did not read the manual, maybe it is more capable that that. And the cost - FREE.

2) BLuetooth GPS Mouse Unlimited. Using the trial version, yes, connected to BT GPS device is very easy, and straight forward, after connection, you can go back to desktop to start your favorite apps. I have tried several facebook like social networks requiring gps location, ALL worked. Google navigation, with voice/route/directions etc as reported by lemmyslender above post, ALL worked flawlessly! and smooth.

Google app Places works very well too, find anything you like, theatre, cafe, gas stations, hotels etc near your location, and 1 click take you the maps with search results. Very cool.

Google lattitude works too, connect to friends.
Obviously, it wont do no squirt when you are offline. It is a strict online app.

Google Multimap (paid app) allows hybrid, openstreet/sat etc up to 8 maps, cool. dl is NOT fast though, but it works.

Halfway playing with the BT GPS mouse unlimited, the famous airplane mode turned on, by self, it does not matter, just exit the app and re enter the map, despite its airplane mode, BT connect and business as usual. Terrific.

3) Ovi map, online or offline, both work somewhat, your choice.

Bottomline: If you have unlimited data online, go with nitdroid + Bluetooth GPS Mouse Unlimited. It is a full feature GPS and runs fast enough.

If you are a poor soul, like me, I still use ovi map, I aint got unlimited data online plan ... yet.

bun

Jaco2k 2010-09-11 08:37

Thank you guys for the nice words and my intention was to actually provide an angle I hadn't seen mentioned before. How it was turned by some into something negative and reprovable is a mystery to me...

bchliu 2010-09-11 10:21

How does a misleading thread that went so way off topic still be alive?

bunanson 2010-09-11 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by bchliu (Post 813332)

That is exactly the point, because it turns into some useful info to help people use gps while nitdroid gps still in progress. Just like Einstein, when he was born, he is just a baby, who would know he later turned out to become Einstein :-)?

Anyhow, the external GPS allows one to run ANY PROGs that requires GPS, including some social network apps, even though you are not interested in GPS per se. I was able to run Google lattitude, MyTerritory, Google's EditMyMap, and QUITE A LOTs of APPs that crashed without gps.

bun

lemmyslender 2010-09-11 12:32

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bchliu (Post 813332)

The thread title is missing one word "bluetooth". I can't edit it or I would. IMHO, the title is only slightly mis-leading, no worse than many of the other threads we have on here. I don't believe it was intentional as some suggested.

That being said, I choose to continue this thread with my information as I believed it fit in with the original topic. The people that started complaining are the ones that drew it off-topic. We were back on topic until you choose to add your two cents.

Perhaps a mod could go through and remove the off-topic posts to a separate thread. You know, to "clean it up", as so many here seem to want.

To keep it on topic, here is a zip file of the free trial version. I couldn't find it, so I contacted customer support and they emailed it to me. Hopefully others can test it out as well. If any mods prefer this not be here, feel free to remove it.