maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Steve Jobs on open vs closed (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64030)

Reggie 2010-10-19 11:56

Steve Jobs on open vs closed

Just saw this at CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/...ex.html?hpt=C2

Quote:

Jobs then took issue with the geeky argument of open versus closed, which refers to how transparent a system's source code is to developers.

"Google loves to characterize Android as open, and iOS and iPhone as closed," Jobs said. "We find this a bit disingenuous and clouding the differences between our two approaches."

He called Android "fragmented." He highlighted how Android handset makers install layers on top of Google's software, which can introduce unexpected problems. And Amazon, Verizon Wireless and Vodafone say they intend to create their own digital stores to sell applications to Android users, despite Google's own Marketplace.

"This is going to be a mess for both users and developers," Jobs said. "We believe integrated will trump fragmented every time."
He also takes a jab at Nokia:
Quote:

On Nokia, which sells the most cell phones worldwide, Jobs said: "Nokia is the biggest, and we admire them for being able to ship the number of handsets that they do. But we don't aspire to be like them."

"Nokia makes $50 handsets, and we don't know how to make a great smartphone for $50," Jobs said. "We're not smart enough to figure that one out yet."

rickysio 2010-10-19 12:15

Re: Steve Jobs on open vs closed

Jobs is a one man troll army, what did you expect?

cincibluer6 2010-10-19 12:16

I'm convinced Jobs is one of the biggest blowhards the technological world has ever seen. I don't think anybody has held so much clout while being such a whiny b***h who doesn't in fact, seem to understand just what open and closed really are.

atilla 2010-10-19 12:21

who wants to hear steve jobs talking?

gerbick 2010-10-19 12:29

I like Andy Rubin's response to Steve Jobs best: here

Android is tons more open than iOS. Less open than MeeGo. But the discussion about open/close isn't Steve Jobs to make.

richwhite 2010-10-19 12:34

While Jobs isn't wrong at all about Android, there is a vast difference between open/closed and fragmented/integrated. I fully agree that integrated is generally better because the manufacturer can tailor the software to the hardware, rather than vice versa, but that has no impact on its openness. Maemo isn't fragmented because it's Nokia specific, but it's still open

parasight 2010-10-19 12:34

I'm not sure if he mean open as in open-source or open as in available to many manufacturers. Android of course is both though.

I think he also said "When we hear open we think Windows".

vickyg 2010-10-19 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 844989)
I like Andy Rubin's response to Steve Jobs best: here

Android is tons more open than iOS. Less open than MeeGo. But the discussion about open/close isn't Steve Jobs to make.

"mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"

Where are the commands to install the build files to a HTC Hero, Motorolo Milestone or some other xxx xxx?

If u have the answer the please let me know

If u know how to do same with Maemo Source code then please..

I can build linux kernel, gnu utils, x org, kde/gnome and build a distro and run it on my PC if u can do same with android or maemo then it is a true opensource product.

Some times it's good to have a well supported Closed Product than a half opensource product.

mohannad 2010-10-19 13:01

Did he just compare a $50 phone to a smartphone?!! AND he is labeling Nokia as the "$50 handsets" manufacturer! This guy needs to get shot!

afaq 2010-10-19 14:02

He is a smart guy but his dis-ingenuity is reflective of those with intentions that are not clear/ well meaning. He very well knows Nokia makes phones for Enterprise, Entertainment and high end N series users. These are not $50 handsets. If he is claiming nokia is selling more because it's quality is low - well that is also incorrect.
Nokia's lowest end phones released in the last month all include Wifi, GPS, free ovi maps, app store and a strong community. These "50$" phones can multi task like the Iphone never could. These "50$" have sold so well because of Nokia high standards in quality manufacturing and by their use of a very mature and efficient OS - Symbian.

Everyone loves to hate Symbian - but like it or not its actually the best OS out there in terms of efficiency, maturity, cost and reliability. It's not a flavour of the month that comes and goes. When Apple reach that point they can then throw rocks.

fatalsaint 2010-10-19 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickyg (Post 845000)
"mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"

Where are the commands to install the build files to a HTC Hero, Motorolo Milestone or some other xxx xxx?

I'm sorry... You were saying?

I agree that Maemo is (was?) limited by the binary blobs but MeeGo is not - the closed parts for the N900 needed by MeeGo are now redistributable. MeeGo is much like android in that regard, an open OS but closed parts for hardware. It should be quite easily possible to "cook" MeeGo flashes for devices just as Android.

Hell.. people already have it booting on a Nexus One.

benny1967 2010-10-19 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohannad (Post 845012)
Did he just compare a $50 phone to a smartphone?!! AND he is labeling Nokia as the "$50 handsets" manufacturer! This guy needs to get shot!

well, his interpretation of smartphone is limited to what the iphone does.

ysss 2010-10-19 14:40

Try reading just Jobs' quotes and ignore the writer's mistaken remarks.

@mohannad: he's saying they want to stick to making smartphones, and they can't sell those for $50.

richwhite 2010-10-19 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 845070)
Try reading just Jobs' quotes and ignore the writer's mistaken remarks.

Read the whole article and nothing really seems mistaken.

ysss 2010-10-19 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by richwhite (Post 845075)
Read the whole article and nothing really seems mistaken.

Where does it specifically mention open and closed source, other than the author's interpretation of Jobs' vague remark?

Snoshrk 2010-10-19 15:15

Why is it that whenever Jobs talks, I hear the "...lack of faith disturbing." - D Vader quote, as well as Vader's Theme music?

Hmmm.... Darth Jobs...... Steve Vader.....:eek:

.....why can't I catch my breath?.... gasp....gasp.....thud.....

richwhite 2010-10-19 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 845097)
Where does it specifically mention open and closed source, other than the author's interpretation of Jobs' vague remark?

Specifically? Right here:

"Google loves to characterize Android as open, and iOS and iPhone as closed," Jobs said. "We find this a bit disingenuous and clouding the differences between our two approaches."

Lullen 2010-10-19 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by richwhite (Post 844991)
While Jobs isn't wrong at all about Android, there is a vast difference between open/closed and fragmented/integrated. I fully agree that integrated is generally better because the manufacturer can tailor the software to the hardware, rather than vice versa, but that has no impact on its openness. Maemo isn't fragmented because it's Nokia specific, but it's still open

Is there any way that could make meego not ending up fragmented or will it have the same problems as android as there is no solution to it?

ysss 2010-10-19 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by richwhite (Post 845104)
Specifically? Right here:

Can't be too subtle can I?
Where does it specifically say open and closed source?
Is there only 1 interpretation to the terms 'open' vs 'closed' in the context of platforms?

Even google (forgot whom) alluded to themselves as 'more open than ios', without any specifics.

Descalzo 2010-10-19 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by richwhite (Post 844991)

The thread title should read, "Steve Jobs Dodges Open/Closed Question to Talk About Fragtmentation."

richwhite 2010-10-19 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lullen (Post 845107)
Is there any way that could make meego not ending up fragmented or will it have the same problems as android as there is no solution to it?

Probably the biggest problem with Android's fragmentation is that Google is a jack of all trades. Nokia haven't got a search engine and a car that drives itself, Google do. They're like the cuckoos of the technological world - wait for companies to make a profit from something, then try to usurp it. Where is their experience in mobile computing?

nokia, on the other hand, are well versed in it. Symbian wasn't fragmented despite appearing on various manufacturers' devices. Windows isn't fragmented, it has its issues and for sure some of those could be resolved if it made its own hardware, as Mac's demonstrate, but it isn't fragmented. For instance, Windows on a computer with a decent amount of RAM and antivirus should pose no problems ( it doesn't for me anyway).

What i'm getting at is something being available on multiple devices doesn't intrinsically make it fragmented. It will need specific hardware to run at an optimum level for sure, but that's why Nokia are keeping Symbian for its low-mid level phones and MeeGo for the high-end, so we won't have something like the HTC Wildfire running a crippled version of MeeGo. I'm probably in the minority, but while the blogs and anti's of Nokia criticise them for not exclusively having Maemo or MeeGo, I agree with the decision for the above reason - hopefully only the premium devices with the ideal hardware capabilities will run it, while the lower spectrum devices will have the very adaptable Symbian.

So, while mobile phones is Nokia's business and they've been top of the tree for a long, long time and they know what they're doing generally, Google are new to the game and learning on their feet. HTC churn out a new device each week it seems and there are variances in hardware specs (X10 mini, Wildfire etc). Add to that the issues in not rolling out universal updates even on brand new handsets, that's where Android has its problems.

Then again, has there been mention that other manufacturers will have MeeGo? I know it's been said it'll be a cross platform OS and BMW, Asus etc will have it in their in-car entertainment, but i haven't seen anything that, say, Motorola can release a MeeGo phone. I hope not personally.

richwhite 2010-10-19 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 845111)
Can't be too subtle can I?
Where does it specifically say open and closed source?
Is there only 1 interpretation to the terms 'open' vs 'closed' in the context of platforms?

Even google (forgot whom) alluded to themselves as 'more open than ios', without any specifics.

Well presumably the assumption is he's talking about open and closed source because he has made the same attacks, specifically on source, before.

fatalsaint 2010-10-19 15:36

I'm not sure I get all this negativity surrounding Android or it's "fragmentation" (not exactly sure I'd call Android 'fragmented'.. but.. ok..) .. Android is Pretty damn successful and despite what Mr. Jobs wants you to think, is sure making that oh so perfect "integrated" Apple platform work damn hard for it's money

Quote:

"We believe integrated will trump fragmented every time."
Well.. what you believe, and what's happening, aren't exactly matching up there Mr. Rich dude.

wmarone 2010-10-19 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by richwhite (Post 845118)
They're like the cuckoos of the technological world - wait for companies to make a profit from something, then try to usurp it. Where is their experience in mobile computing?

Wait, I thought that was Apple?

Google does whatever they need to remain relevant. They saw where mobile was going and moved. Mobile computing isn't terribly different from regular computing, so long as you approach it right (which Microsoft failed miserably at.)

Quote:

nokia, on the other hand, are well versed in it. Symbian wasn't fragmented despite appearing on various manufacturers' devices.
IIRC, it was wildly fragmented. The catch is that many fragments couldn't run additional software at all.

Quote:

Windows isn't fragmented, it has its issues and for sure some of those could be resolved if it made its own hardware, as Mac's demonstrate, but it isn't fragmented. For instance, Windows on a computer with a decent amount of RAM and antivirus should pose no problems ( it doesn't for me anyway).
Fragmentation in Windows was worse, and with varying hardware specs makes development of games something more difficult than what it is for consoles.

Quote:

It will need specific hardware to run at an optimum level for sure, but that's why Nokia are keeping Symbian for its low-mid level phones and MeeGo for the high-end, so we won't have something like the HTC Wildfire running a crippled version of MeeGo.
We still could, since Nokia has no monopoly on MeeGo.

Quote:

Google are new to the game and learning on their feet. HTC churn out a new device each week it seems and there are variances in hardware specs (X10 mini, Wildfire etc). Add to that the issues in not rolling out universal updates even on brand new handsets, that's where Android has its problems.
Android's core problem is the carriers, followed by the handset vendors.

Quote:

Then again, has there been mention that other manufacturers will have MeeGo? I know it's been said it'll be a cross platform OS and BMW, Asus etc will have it in their in-car entertainment, but i haven't seen anything that, say, Motorola can release a MeeGo phone. I hope not personally.
They can, certainly. But anyone who cares about openness will avoid them like the plague.

richwhite 2010-10-19 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarone (Post 845130)
Wait, I thought that was Apple?

Google does whatever they need to remain relevant. They saw where mobile was going and moved. Mobile computing isn't terribly different from regular computing, so long as you approach it right (which Microsoft failed miserably at.)

Oh sure, Apple do it too, but at least they know where to draw the line IMO. Like Jobs himself has said, there's no Apple search engine for instance.

Where have Google really got regular computing experience though? A search engine and a shedload of advertising more or less.

Quote:

Fragmentation in Windows was worse, and with varying hardware specs makes development of games something more difficult than what it is for consoles.

Ah, i don't really use games so can't comment there, see your point though. I was really talking from a day-to-day point though of modern Windows

Quote:

Android's core problem is the carriers, followed by the handset vendors.

Most definitely agree there.

chowdahhead 2010-10-19 15:47

Texas Instruments is quoted as saying that when the OMAP4 debuts, the OMAP3 SOC's will displace ARM11 on the low end. I can understand if Meego is reserved for high-end handsets for performance reasons, but it shouldn't be used to up sell higher margin phones. It the above is true, and if the N900 runs Meego well (recent Youtube videos seem to suggest it will), than the argument for Symbian becomes pretty difficult. If Meego is going to have long term success in the growing crowd of smartphone OS's, it needs to be ubiquitous and widely used. It can't be solely used as bait to draw consumers into the high end.

quipper8 2010-10-19 15:51

here is the pretty pie chart of android fragmentation

http://blog.tweetdeck.com/android-ecosystem

mbo 2010-10-19 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by quipper8 (Post 845149)
here is the pretty pie chart of android fragmentation

http://blog.tweetdeck.com/android-ecosystem

even 6 beta testers with nokia n900 :)

benny1967 2010-10-19 16:03

Fragmentation needn't be an issue if handled properly. I think MeeGo is cleverly designed for fragmentation, whereas Android must avoid it - and Apple couldn't if they wanted to, lacking the variety in hardware.

Darth Vader is right in a way linking freedom to fragmentation. Could you imagine free software without forks and incompatibilities? But it needn't be a negative thing. Knowing it will happen to a certain degree, you'll just have to deal with it propely.

richwhite 2010-10-19 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by chowdahhead (Post 845141)
Texas Instruments is quoted as saying that when the OMAP4 debuts, the OMAP3 SOC's will displace ARM11 on the low end. I can understand if Meego is reserved for high-end handsets for performance reasons, but it shouldn't be used to up sell higher margin phones. It the above is true, and if the N900 runs Meego well (recent Youtube videos seem to suggest it will), than the argument for Symbian becomes pretty difficult. If Meego is going to have long term success in the growing crowd of smartphone OS's, it needs to be ubiquitous and widely used. It can't be solely used as bait to draw consumers into the high end.

I doubt it'll be used as bait, not all mobile users are smartphone users and mostly that's through choice. I know someone still using a 3310, he simply isn't interested in smartphones. If and when that phone dies, he'll buy a cheap Nokia. Why would he want MeeGo? He'll just want a Symbian phone to make calls and texts. And that's the other weapon Nokia has: Android and Apple only do smartphones, not just 'phones'. Nokia cover the whole market and realise one OS isn't enough for the entire userbase.

ossipena 2010-10-19 16:14

is the meego official api really the key ingredient needed to stop fragmentation? is it that simple? isn't googles approach somewhat similar?

what is the problem with android? does the dalvik fail because obivously there are differences between different version of os or where the fragmentation comes? I saw an article that said one needs to test an app with about 100 different configurations with android to be sure it will work.

mikec 2010-10-19 16:30

The Registers take on it is quite amusing

"Windows is not the first thing we think of when we hear the word "open." When we hear the word open, we think of a golf tournament. But we see Steve's point."

"Yes, the man's arguments are bit muddled. But he's certainly right that Android faces a fragmentation problem. And we'd be very pleased if the world dropped this open and closed nonsense. Thanks to both Apple and Google, the words are now close to meaningless. ®"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10...bs_on_android/

nilchak 2010-10-19 16:32

Steve is the one who is bing ingenous here ( and he cals Google out as ingenous).

He mentions Open vs closed and then cites Microsoft as the company people thing as the open - since "it has the largest user base"...and movesd on to compare the Google fragmentation with Microsoft one OS strategy.

Hos is that a discussion of OPEN in either the "Open Source" term (MS is not Open source by any stretch), or even the "OPen Platform" term (MS is not an Open platform either). So he is making ar argumentative comparison with something that doersnt hold true and HE knows it.

When you mention Open and Google talk about either Open Source and Open platform.
If you want to talk about Fragmentation - dont start off with the Open argument because THAT it isnt.

daperl 2010-10-19 16:34

A slight tangent, but the recent John Sculley On Steve Jobs, The Full Interview Transcript is a very good read.

wmarone 2010-10-19 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRegister
And we'd be very pleased if the world dropped this open and closed nonsense. Thanks to both Apple and Google, the words are now close to meaningless.

Really now. They still have a great degree of meaning, last I checked. Steve remains on the closed side and Android still lies, mostly, on the open side. Indeed, that extremely diverse pie chart showing all the custom ROMs proves this to be true.

RFS-81 2010-10-19 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by richwhite (Post 845166)
Nokia cover the whole market and realise one OS isn't enough for the entire userbase.

Agreed. If one only needs to call and text, all the added "smarts" will do is: cause more bugs (potentially ruining the "dumb" features too), slow down updates and make them untrustworthy, rise prices, shorten the battery life, add weight/size etc..

ericsson 2010-10-19 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossipena (Post 845172)
is the meego official api really the key ingredient needed to stop fragmentation? is it that simple? isn't googles approach somewhat similar?

what is the problem with android? does the dalvik fail because obivously there are differences between different version of os or where the fragmentation comes? I saw an article that said one needs to test an app with about 100 different configurations with android to be sure it will work.

It is not a matter of fragmentation, it is a matter of what the fragmentation does. Apple as one device, Nokia has 100? Android also "has" 100 devices. Fragmentation on iOS is not possible.

If you try to defragment Android, you will end up with lots of equal looking devices. Good for Google, but bad for everyone else. Nokia on the other hand, can do whatever they want with Symbian and MeeGo, it will still be Nokia, and look Nokia. MeeGo will be fragmented to pieces, but still share a common ground, the kernel.

Joseph9560 2010-10-19 16:42

that jobs blow jokes well but must admit he succeed with such jokes and reached the current status.

richwhite 2010-10-19 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFS-81 (Post 845200)
Agreed. If one only needs to call and text, all the added "smarts" will do is: cause more bugs (potentially ruining the "dumb" features too), slow down updates and make them untrustworthy, rise prices, shorten the battery life, add weight/size etc..

Yup. And if nothing else, no one is going to want to spend as much money as a laptop on a phone just for calls and texts. This is why, as Jobs said, Nokia make $50 phones. They're not the whole range, and the iPhone wouldn't exist without Nokia, but they are necessary devices still and thankfully Nokia still recognises that

craftyguy 2010-10-19 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatalsaint (Post 845060)
I agree that Maemo is (was?) limited by the binary blobs but MeeGo is not - the closed parts for the N900 needed by MeeGo are now redistributable. MeeGo is much like android in that regard, an open OS but closed parts for hardware. It should be quite easily possible to "cook" MeeGo flashes for devices just as Android.

So they decided to release modem/camera/other device firmware code too? No binary blobs at all in MeeGo?