maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nokia Transport now available for N9 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83952)

ajalkane 2012-04-28 19:42

Nokia Transport now available for N9

Didn't see this posted here yet. Nokia Transport is now available for N9 from Beta labs:

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia...t-for-nokia-n9

Based on my very preliminary testing, seems quite nice.

szopin 2012-04-28 19:52

Re: Nokia Transport now available for N9

Any chance for N900?

Zoxir 2012-04-28 20:04

No info for athens :P

Dave999 2012-04-28 20:07

more countries needed. Who cares about the US ;)

szopin 2012-04-28 20:25

Could someone dump the .deb here?

gerbick 2012-04-28 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris (Post 1198809)
more countries needed. Who cares about the US ;)

The fact that US has very few cities with effective mass transit, the included list can't be that intensive for US cities.

szopin 2012-04-28 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1198820)
The fact that US has very few cities with effective mass transit, the included list can't be that intensive for US cities.

Hope you're kidding. if it wasn't for mass transit there would be no Rosa Parks-MLK... Oh I see, SOPA, PIPA, CISPA and Transit killing... you guys should emigrate

IsaacDFP 2012-04-28 21:05

One would expect Montreal to be amongst the few... yet I was wrong.
Y NO MTL?! :@

ajalkane 2012-04-28 21:47

Eh well, if only the public transports would use a common API to get the timetables all this could be manageable.

It's impossible to support every variant reliably. Ultimately I think it's the rigidity and "change resistance" in state offices preventing something like this working.

In short, I don't think it's Nokia's, or Googles or Apples (or an singular OS manufacturer's) fault as such if it doesn't work in one region or not... These things need a common API to scale globally.

SolarisSixth 2012-04-28 21:58

That's a check yes for working with the TTC in Downtown Toronto.

It seems to be nice, works quickly and effectively. However, I already know a few faster ways to get to some of the places I tested.

But since I'm still clueless about most of the TTC, this is incredibly useful.

gerbick 2012-04-28 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by szopin (Post 1198831)
Hope you're kidding. if it wasn't for mass transit there would be no Rosa Parks-MLK... Oh I see, SOPA, PIPA, CISPA and Transit killing... you guys should emigrate

Tasteless.

And no, I was not kidding. There's mass transportation, but many cities it's not exactly the first choice of transportation; much unlike many Asian or European countries I've traveled to.

Sazpaimon 2012-04-28 22:18

I live in Philadelphia, which is like, 7 different transit networks (including NJ and NY), and this app covers them all. Goodbye Google Maps.

_Routser 2012-04-29 01:00

Seems like a great app, hopefully they'll add more cities like the pop-up said when I opened it and noticed it didn´t support Tampere.

Nonetheless great to see such premium apps on N9.

m4r0v3r 2012-04-29 02:54

am in the Uk i'll try it out

edit: they dont have my city, fairly useless to me then lol

youmeego 2012-04-29 03:07

how come there is no support for italy, australia?

Arthuro_Adam 2012-04-29 13:50

Works great in Budapest.

AndyNokia232 2012-04-29 14:05

Works really well in NYC, love it.

Tried to put the .deb here from Nokia Beta Labs, but it's 1.5mb, and it exceeds the limit.

Very nice app, smooth, quick and actually accurate! But NYC buses never follow their schedule...

:)

myk 2012-04-29 14:50

Perth, Australia is on the list, so I tried it.
But it only shows train lines - 4 radiating from the city. You don't need an app to figure your route on that! Its completely useless without buses.

qgil 2012-05-03 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 (Post 1199074)
Tried to put the .deb here from Nokia Beta Labs, but it's 1.5mb, and it exceeds the limit.

Why pushing yourself beyond terms & conditions just because someone won't register to a website, as you did?

PS: just tested & SF Bay Area is well covered.
PS2: Barcelona seems to be covered as well.

pycage 2012-05-03 16:08

It's very good to see this appear on the N9.
It's not so good to see that German cities are not supported yet. :(

Btw, for downloading from beta labs, all you need is your Nokia account, i.e. the same that you use in the Nokia store.

qgil 2012-05-03 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1201395)
It's not so good to see that German cities are not supported yet. :(

I just got 3 options to go right now from Nikolausstrasse to Hauptbahnhof in Köln (including a 58 min walk, which I did once and I quite enjoyed). :)

EDIT: I also now know how to go from Bahnhof Zoologischer Garten to Kalkscheune in Berlin.

qgil 2012-05-03 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 1201419)
Funny is the app seems to only support US and the phone was not even RELEASED in US!? WTF!?

Did you check the page?

Quote:

This app supports timetable-based information in the following cities & regions:

Atlanta, Auckland, Austin, Baltimore, Barcelona, Berkshire, Berlin & Brandenburg, Boston, Budapest, Chicago, Dallas, Denmark, Denver, Edmonton, Flanders, Halifax, Helsinki, Honolulu, Houston, Las Vegas, London, Miami-Dade county, Minneapolis & Saint Paul, New York City, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, San Diego, Los Angeles, Toronto, Turin, Wellington and Winnipeg.
Simple routing information is available for plenty more locations in all continents - see http://betalabs.nokia.com/node/52654?req=true

The same app is also available for Windows Phone.

dumpystig 2012-05-03 17:02

I'd say this app is pretty well pointless and of no use to most N9 users - very limited amount of cities covered.

qgil 2012-05-03 17:10

Maybe that's why it's offered in BetaLabs, and maybe new cities will be added over time?

javispedro 2012-05-03 17:11

Hey, at least it's better than the City Scene one with only 6 or so cities covered...

(Barcelona and not Madrid? Curious! Though the timetables as usual are to be taken with one or a hundred grains of salt...)

ibrakalifa 2012-05-03 17:21

indonesia? Hmmm okay, maybe 3years again its will be added, lol

pycage 2012-05-03 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 1201407)
I just got 3 options to go right now from Nikolausstrasse to Hauptbahnhof in Köln (including a 58 min walk, which I did once and I quite enjoyed). :)

EDIT: I also now know how to go from Bahnhof Zoologischer Garten to Kalkscheune in Berlin.

This sounds promising. I have to check it out again when I'll be in Munich tomorrow. :)

nerzhul 2012-05-03 17:36

It takes very long time to open the app, does someone else has the same problem or it is for all?

maemomatic 2012-05-03 17:37

does anyone have an idea whether this could be made to run on our good old N900?

abyzthomas 2012-05-03 17:49

I have been playing with it a little in Chicago area.

It looks pretty impressive and the information is pretty accurate.

erendorn 2012-05-04 12:35

probably depends a lot on the effort of the concerned cities.
I know for sure that London has very good and extensive API for its transport infrastructure, whereas Paris has not, and has sued people for using its maps and stuff in apps. So clearly, not all cities are equal, independently from Nokia.

Arie 2012-05-04 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumpystig (Post 1201431)
I'd say this app is pretty well pointless and of no use to most N9 users - very limited amount of cities covered.

Every major city I've been to in the past 4 years is covered in Nokia Public Transport. Be appreciative that it was ported and kindly leave feedback for the beta labs team and hopefully they will graduate it to a public product with more cities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 1201428)
Did you check the page?

Simple routing information is available for plenty more locations in all continents - see http://betalabs.nokia.com/node/52654?req=true

The same app is also available for Windows Phone.

Not all cities that are in public transport are mentioned on the beta labs page, can the page be updated?

qgil 2012-05-04 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1201816)
Not all cities that are in public transport are mentioned on the beta labs page, can the page be updated?

Even if I have poijted this thread to the developers it is probably better to leave feedback there, mentioning the covered cities missing in the listing. Thank you!

Watchmaker 2012-05-04 13:28

I see my city (Milan, Italy) in the aforementioned list, but every time I try to calculate a route I always get an error saying that my area is not covered...

Win7Mac 2012-05-04 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchmaker (Post 1201826)
I see my city (Milan, Italy) in the aforementioned list, but every time I try to calculate a route I always get an error saying that my area is not covered...

Same here in Hamburg, Germany.
It's on the list, but won't work on N9.
Anything we can do about it?

qgil 2012-05-04 17:13

Yes, report your problems to the developers at http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia...ia-n9?req=true ("Give feedback" link)

Thank you!

Win7Mac 2012-05-04 19:38

I already did.
So I should just wait for the service to cover Hamburg one fine day?

qgil 2012-05-04 20:08

Maybe there is a usability problem here?

I just learned that you can go from Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (there is always one) to Lindenstrasse (another sure bet in German cities) ;) in a 10' walk or taking the U1 direction Grosshansdorf until Lohmühlenstrasse...

From Piazza Virgilio in Milan to Piazza Della Scala you take the Tram 1 Greco - Pza Castelli and stop in Manzoni Scala.

"Can't give you an exact schedule for this journey" is the difference ref the primary list of cities.

Win7Mac 2012-05-04 21:01

usability problem...?
The app also shows a (actual?) list of supported areas.
Hamburg and Milan are not on that one...

qgil 2012-05-04 21:43

By usability problem I mean that some users are saying their cities appear in the list but they can't calculate routes. As shown in my post just above I'm able to get information from Hamburg and Milan (I haven't been there ever, that information comes from the app).

See post #22. "Covered regions" are those cities fully supported with timetables. Then there is a bunch of cities (including Hamburg and Milan) with transport information but no timetables.