maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Council] By-Laws for Hildonfoundation (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86290)

CommunityCouncil 2012-08-24 19:40

[Council] By-Laws for Hildonfoundation

SD69 have updated bylaws document in order to publish it for community feedback. It is published here in full, for community members review, feedback and final acceptance.

This issue is blocker for several actions, including:
- Elections for next Council/Board of Directors, we'd like to use one single voting for both elections and Bylaws approval
- Legal entity, that will took place after elections.

It is by all means not a final document, and only a suggestion from the current Council for establising a legal entity to continue the Maemo society.

Therefore the feedback after review is necessary from community members and a final acceptance of the community is needed in order to establish a legal entity to be responsible for carrying out the Maemo.org infrastructure.

RevisedHildonFoundationBylaws.docx

Link: Original article.

ivgalvez 2012-08-27 06:53

Re: [Council] By-Laws for Hildonfoundation

1 Attachment(s)
Link to mailing list discussion. Please review it, as not every one will post his opinion in this thread.

I have also uploaded document in PDF version.

fw190 2012-08-27 07:23

Well it looks ok to me but as I have no skills in this matter I may be wrong.

wicket 2012-08-27 12:12

It's a shame the document is in a proprietary format. It doesn't really follow the TMO/open source spirit.

Elop, is that you? Are you trying to infiltrate TMO now?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed that the document format has already been pointed out on the mailing list.

ivgalvez 2012-08-27 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1256217)
It's a shame the document is in a proprietary format. It doesn't really follow the TMO/open source spirit.

Elop, is that you? Are you trying to infiltrate TMO now?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed that the document format has already been pointed out on the mailing list.

I have uploaded a PDF version in second post as I'm not able to edit first post.

woody14619 2012-08-27 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1256217)
It's a shame the document is in a proprietary format.

Reality is that many people have access to tools that open this "proprietary format". In fact there are no less than three free viewers/editors available for the N900 capable of reading the document in this format: KOffice, AbiWord, and DocsToGo. The former two being able to edit it once opened, and the latter requiring a trial/paid version to edit. For desktop users, there's all that and OpenOffice. The PDF version (also "proprietary") has several opensource viewers available.

So can we please stop bickering about the container format now, and focus on the content?

Realistically, we're not looking for someone to edit the document and send it back to us. Getting a hundred marked up copies of the document mailed to us with random changes and no discussion on what needs to be addressed or why those changes are important would be impossible to manage, and would leave the community out of the discussion. The important part is the discussion, not the edit-ability of the document.

Said another way: It would be far more helpful if you opened it, read it, and made comments on the content instead of the container. The (open source) tools are easily available to do so...

Arie 2012-08-27 14:41

After reading through it a few times, it seems fine, but I want to read it a few more times...

The
Board shall have the authority to create community positions, such as but not limited to a
Community Council and an Executive Director, and to appoint any community member in good
standing to such positions or to allow for a vote of community members to fill such positions.

I'm not a fan of this.... The board should be allowed to pick temporary community council members, but, it should not have the right to pick community council members and executive directors for long term.

ivgalvez 2012-08-27 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1256284)
The
Board shall have the authority to create community positions, such as but not limited to a
Community Council and an Executive Director, and to appoint any community member in good
standing to such positions or to allow for a vote of community members to fill such positions.

I'm not a fan of this.... The board should be allowed to pick temporary community council members, but, it should not have the right to pick community council members and executive directors for long term.

Creating a position does not necessary mean choosing the person to be in that position, it may be perfectly be eligible by voting or by meritocracy. Maybe that is something that could be clarified in the document.

Arie 2012-08-27 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1256289)
Creating a position does not necessary mean choosing the person to be in that position, it may be perfectly be eligible by voting or by meritocracy. Maybe that is something that could be clarified in the document.

This works for me... I have no issue with that, please clarify that they can create the position on an as needed basis, but the people chosen by the board are only temporary and will only remain till someone else is voted on by the community.

jalyst 2012-08-27 15:43

I. Name
Quote:

The name of the Foundation shall be the Hildon Foundation.
Any special reason why it's called the "Hildon" foundation?
This is a body representing all iterations of Maemo, up to and including Harmattan right, so why not a name that is more representative of that?

II. Mission
Quote:

The mission of the Foundation is to promote and progress the future availability of maemo derived or inspired open source software, and related toolkits, for mobile pocketable devices. The Maemo® operating system and Hildon user interface was originally developed by Nokia Corporation and used in several commercially available devices, including the N900. Most of Maemo® and Hildon is currently open source software as defined by the Open Software Foundation and, as such, continues to be improved upon by a volunteer community at www.maemo.org. Nokia intends to cease its operation of www.maemo.org and has indicated a willingness to transfer it to a suitable organization.
Good but zero mention of the UI used by Harmattan devices, is this simply because much more of Hildon is open so far, does that really matter?

IV. Membership and Governance
Quote:

<SNIP>The Board shall have the authority to create community positions, such as but not limited to a Community Council and an Executive Director, and to appoint any community member in good standing to such positions or to allow for a vote of community members to fill such positions.
IMO should be more along the lines of....
Quote:

The Board shall have the authority to create community positions, such as but not limited to a Community Council & an Executive Director, & appoint community members to such positions, in accordance with who the community have voted in to fill those positions.
Of course there should be a good screening process initially, to ensure that the most suitable candidates are in the running from the outset.
I see no need for the board to be able to appoint positions free of authorisation by the community, perhaps the council can explain why this is crucial?

VII. Amendments
Quote:

The Bylaws of the Foundation may be changed with 3/4 majority of the Board and 2/3 majority of community members eligible to vote for Board Directors, except that the requirement that software must be freely available under an open source license as defined by the Open Software Foundation may not be changed. A proposed Amendment to the Bylaws must be announced at least three months before the Board meeting in which it is considered and before the vote of community members.
Any reason why the Board needs to have power to change by-laws as they so choose (pending 75% agreement), shouldn't it always remain only the providence of the community?
Also I see no mention of how many people are allowed to be on the Board for each 1yr term...

VIII. Applicable Law
Quote:

The Foundation shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. However, nothing shall preclude the Foundation from maintaining its financial accounts, servers or other infrastructure for its Internet website in any other jurisdiction, or from conducting suitable promotional and distribution activities in any other jurisdiction.
Just a tiny nitpick but this reads better IMO....
Quote:

The Foundation shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. However, nothing shall preclude the Foundation from maintaining its financial accounts, servers, or other infrastructure, in any other jurisdiction, or from conducting suitable promotional and distribution activities in any other jurisdiction.

SD69 2012-08-27 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1256296)
any special reason why it's called the "Hildon" foundation?
This is a body representing all iterations of Maemo, up to and including Harmattan right, so why not a name that is more representative of that?

Nokia has registered Maemo as a trademark in several countries and have not, at least yet, decided to license us to use it. Rather than spend months in limbo, we selected Hildon because it is not registered by Nokia and has some historical significance.

I'm not sure if we should try to proceed under the name of maemo in any event since the reputation among the general public (not the informed and more knowledgeable community here) is that it is an old, obsolete and outdated software.

ivgalvez 2012-08-27 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1256308)
Mission Statement:

Good but zero mention of the UI used by Harmattan devices, is this simply because much more of Hildon is open so far, does that really matter?

I agree that we should mention both Harmattan and the N9. For example:

"The Maemo® operating system and Hildon user interface was originally developed by Nokia Corporation and used in several commercially available devices, including the N900 and the N9."

It's true that the Swipe UI is very much closed but assuming that Harmattan is a derivative of Maemo, we could mention the device to clarify that the Harmattan iteration is also covered by the Hildon Foundation.

jalyst 2012-08-27 16:34

^Why not just:
Quote:

The Maemo operating system (which includes several iterations) was originally developed by Nokia & used in several commercially available devices, including the N900 and the N9.
Much of Maemo is currently open source software as defined by the Open Software Foundation and, as such, continues to be improved by a volunteer community at www.maemo.org.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 1256324)
Nokia has registered Maemo as a trademark in several countries and have not, at least yet, decided to license us to use it. Rather than spend months in limbo, we selected Hildon because it is not registered by Nokia and has some historical significance.
I'm not sure if we should try to proceed under the name of maemo in any event since the reputation among the general public (not the informed and more knowledgeable community here) is that it is an old, obsolete and outdated software.

Fair enough, perhaps we should have a community discussion & vote ASAP on a entirely different name, for which the foundation can use?
Different shades of that name could then be used to delineate the different iterations of Maemo?
Then we can start naming all the infrastructure around that too...
We can always move back to Maemo should Nokia allow us to use/license it, assuming the community prefers it to the newly adopted name.

Arie 2012-08-30 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1256334)
^Why not just:

Fair enough, perhaps we should have a community discussion & vote ASAP on a entirely different name, for which the foundation can use?
Different shades of that name could then be used to delineate the different iterations of Maemo?
We can always move back to Maemo should Nokia allow us to use/license it, assuming the community prefers it to the newly adopted name.

Is harmattan registered by Nokia, or did I miss that?

SD69 2012-08-31 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1256334)
^Why not just:

If you want to suggest a different name, please do it fast. And make sure the name isn't a trademark and get the domain name first. Once you mention it, someone is likely to scoop up the domain name and squat on it. We already have hildonfoundation.org and maemocommunity.org in pocket.

jalyst 2012-09-03 05:34

N.B. we've not had the councils response to everything raised here (some have been addressed).
Plus this:
Quote:

^Why not just:
The Maemo operating system (which includes several iterations) was originally developed by Nokia & used in several commercially available devices, including the N900 and the N9.
Much of Maemo is currently open source software as defined by the Open Software Foundation and, as such, continues to be improved by a volunteer community at www.maemo.org
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1258205)
Is harmattan registered by Nokia, or did I miss that?

Not sure, but that's not really inclusive of all the different iterations of Maemo.
We need to devise a name that embodies them all (can create secondary names to clearly delineate them if needed).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 1258290)
If you want to suggest a different name, please do it fast. And make sure the name isn't a trademark and get the domain name first. Once you mention it, someone is likely to scoop up the domain name and squat on it. We already have hildonfoundation.org and maemocommunity.org in pocket.

I highly doubt someone's going to squat on it the minute we start talking about ideas in a thread here, we should at least try.
We could have one going for a short period, once a consensus is met* the council could then move to secure it.

*& we know the name isn't already used in a problematic manner

thedead1440 2012-09-03 05:53

IMO Maemo Community/Foundation would be better than Hildon Foundation...It would be more inclusive as well...

Hildon Foundation, I don't know why, just seems the same old elitist bunch of people doing their stuff...Just an honest opinion no attacks please...

Edit: So would any name with Harmattan in it feel like; the new timers here to stage a coup...

Edit 2: Just saw that Maemo is registered by Nokia from earlier posts...Sorry will think of another name and post back...(Maybe Meltemi Foundation since it was killed but no "fanatic" fan-following :p)...

qwazix 2012-09-03 06:30

I think that Aeolos foundation is an appropriate name. He was the king of all winds.

brkn 2012-09-03 07:43

I'm throwing in the following suggestion: "calima foundation"

Quote:

Hildon Foundation, I don't know why, just seems the same old elitist bunch of people doing their stuff...Just an honest opinion no attacks please...
Hildon for me sounds much alike hilton. It has an elitist and above the rest touch.

Quote:

I think that Aeolos foundation is an appropriate name. He was the king of all winds.
Sounds nice to me, too.

Just my 2 cents.

brkn

ladoga 2012-09-03 08:28

Or if you want to continue using names from finnish mythology in tradition of Maemo (Maaemo - mother earth), theres plenty of possible names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish...ds_and_spirits
Might give some ideas.

juiceme 2012-09-03 08:32

I am a bit worried about the part "V. Meetings" as it does not in any way specify the type and place of the meetings, meaning if the meeting of the Board is to be physical or virtual.
If it is meant to be held as a physical meeting in some physical location, then there sure will be problems with the following clause;

Quote:

The Board shall conduct meetings at least as often as once every three months. Any Director may call for a special board meeting, and if seconded, such special meeting shall be conducted with four (4) weeks written notice unless a shorter notice period is previously unanimously agreed between the Directors. More than 50% of the Directors need to be present (“Quorum”) at a meeting to make legally binding decisions.
I guess this will restrict the type of people that can be elected to the Board, as not everyone has the means (whether it be financical, political, etc. reasons) to attend meetings on the other side of the globe four times per year. :mad:

ivgalvez 2012-09-03 09:18

Please, this is not a thread to debate about the name. The domain maemo.org will be transferred by Nokia to the new legal entity, so the name is just a mere question of not using a trademark.

The important thing is the content of the document.

ivgalvez 2012-09-03 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1260066)
I am a bit worried about the part "V. Meetings" as it does not in any way specify the type and place of the meetings, meaning if the meeting of the Board is to be physical or virtual.
If it is meant to be held as a physical meeting in some physical location, then there sure will be problems with the following clause;

Yes, there is no need to held physical meetings.
Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1260066)
I guess this will restrict the type of people that can be elected to the Board, as not everyone has the means (whether it be financical, political, etc. reasons) to attend meetings on the other side of the globe four times per year. :mad:

For sure we won't have the finance muscle to that kind of meetings. This is just a bare minimum legal of meetings that should be organised, however is up to the Board to decide when and how (most probably, weekly IRC meetings as it's right now).

jalyst 2012-09-03 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1260078)
Please, this is not a thread to debate about the name. The domain maemo.org will be transferred by Nokia to the new legal entity, so the name is just a mere question of not using a trademark.

The important thing is the content of the document.

Started a thread here:
We need a name for the NFP entity that Maemo.org's changing to: add your suggestions!

As you want to keep on topic, please see my last post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...21#post1260021

gregoranderson 2012-09-03 17:45

:edit:

Sorry folks - had both threads opened and posted on the wrong one. Too much coffee, combined with old age.

ajalkane 2012-09-03 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregoranderson (Post 1260348)
Aeolos is good, and I would like to throw "Aeris" into the hat (Latin for Wind).

This one I find good too. It's easier to say than Aeolos, which was my previous favorite.

ivgalvez 2012-09-03 18:17

Please, use this thread to discuss about the content of the document not about fancy names.

jalyst 2012-09-03 18:27

As mentioned previously, discuss naming scheme here:
We need a name for the NFP entity that Maemo.org's changing to: add your suggestions!

This thread is for discussing the content of the by-laws document.

woody14619 2012-09-05 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1256284)

In fact, I think this was a hasty edit, and was meant to read "Community Council Liaison". I believe this clause is for creating new positions and possibly titles within the organization. Things like Treasurer, Executive Director, etc. The Board as I understand it will have no say in who is in Community Council. There may in fact be times this power is needed on the spot, for creating a new position and appointing someone to take the role. (Like a PR rep, for example, if it becomes wildly popular and thousands of wealthy people send funding, allowing us to purchase and revive Maemo... Hey, I can dream... right?)

Quote:

Any reason why the Board needs to have power to change by-laws as they so choose (pending 75% agreement), shouldn't it always remain only the providence of the community?

The wording reads " 3/4 majority of the Board and 2/3 majority of community members", not or. It requires both in order to allow for a change.

Quote:

Also I see no mention of how many people are allowed to be on the Board for each 1yr term...

The initial draft stated that the initial Board would be formed based on the same rules for standing Council members. To that end, there would be 3 or 5 depending on the number of people running for a Board position. That will need to be clarified and updated. Good catch! :)

Quote:

Just a tiny nitpick but this reads better IMO....

I agree.

thedead1440 2012-09-06 06:31

woody adding on from your post; shouldnt the power to change by-laws only lie with the community and not 75% board + 67% community?

Correct me if i'm wrong here...

woody14619 2012-09-06 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1261965)
woody adding on from your post; shouldnt the power to change by-laws only lie with the community and not 75% board + 67% community?

I asked the same question during the first draft (which was from a template that had no community input in it). My understanding is that the laws around non-profits require that any change to bylaws be approved by at least a majority of the Board.

Understand, Maemo is not itself a legal entity, but rather a loose trademark "club" operating under the ownership of Nokia. Because of that, we could make any rules or rule changes we wanted without limitation, so long as Nokia was willing to continue providing the legal and financial umbrella for the community.

When forming a legal entity, one must follow the rules around establishing and maintaining those. This is, in fact, one of the many reasons we desire keeping Council separate from the Board, and have not suggested that one should replace the other.

thedead1440 2012-09-06 15:37

I get it...its a necessary evil in other words...

jalyst 2012-09-06 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1261965)

Yeah what I was asking when he addressed, thanks for putting it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody14619 (Post 1262234)
My understanding is that the laws around non-profits require that any change to bylaws be approved by at least a majority of the Board.

So can you point to the laws that you're bound by?
Few other things I've raised dont seem to have been addressed yet, but mostly addressed.
Thanks for that, if any further questions will get back to your 1st thing Mon!

SD69 2012-09-15 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1262306)
So can you point to the laws that you're bound by?

Primarily, the Pennsylvania Nonprofit Corporation Law ("NPCL")of 1988, as amended (15 Pa. C.S. §5101 et. seq.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1262306)
Few other things I've raised dont seem to have been addressed yet, but mostly addressed.

Please be specific about the few things you don't think have been addressed yet.

jalyst 2012-09-16 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 1267078)
Primarily, the Pennsylvania Nonprofit Corporation Law ("NPCL")of 1988, as amended (15 Pa. C.S. §5101 et. seq.)

Got a link, or a link in the general direction?
I'd like to see where it says it must be: 75% board or 75% board "+" 67% community consensus, not merely 67% community consensus.

Quote:

Please be specific about the few things you don't think have been addressed yet.
Try looking here & the post linked to from there, then cross-reference what's been answered with those posts.

SD69 2012-09-16 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1267251)
Got a link, or a link in the general direction?
I'd like to see where it says it must be: 75% board or 75% board "+" 67% community consensus, not merely 67% community consensus.

I don't have a direct link (I don't think there is one). Here is a link to the responsibilities of the Board: http://www.lawforchange.org/images/l...es%20ebook.pdf

In addition, the initial Board has to formally accept by the Bylaws at its first meeting and abide by them forever after. It is unworkable that they should not participate in the amendment of the Bylaws. The law does not even recognize a "community council" - it is our own creation. If you want to suggest to increase or decrease the percentages of either the Board or the Community Council, then that can be considered and changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1267251)
Try looking here & the post linked to from there, then cross-reference what's been answered with those posts.

OK, I've looked at that post. Yes, we can mention the "several iterations" of maemo and also delete the specific reference to the N900 (never intended to signal a single iteration) since Bylaws are a governance document. The other two items in the post deal with the name (which has been decided) and the domain name, not the bylaws.

woody14619 2012-09-18 16:48

3 Attachment(s)
Please find attached the latest revision of the bylaws. This has taken a lot of input from TMO, the mailing list, and private mailings to/between the Council into consideration.

We would really like to hear comments and get more input on this, as this is likely very close to the final cut of this document.

(And yes, they're gzipped because the forum has a rather oddly-small size limit on PDF and doc files, and doesn't allow odt files at all...)

thedead1440 2012-09-18 16:56

One clarification seeked with regards to:

Quote:

Each Director shall serve for a term of one year and shall not be replaced before the end of their term except if they vacate the position.

Can there be an addition that a Director may be replaced by the Board if the Director has deemed to conducted him/herself in a manner not in-line with the expected behaviour of a Board of Director including displaying flagrant lack of respect towards the Community who may call for a referrendum for the B.o.D to replace the said Director.

thedead1440 2012-09-18 17:06

Oh and one more addition:

The Treasurer should at all times be a non-discharged bankrupt and not have any legal proceedings against him/her in any Country. Any legal proceedings especially those involving breaches of trust would lead to an automatic ejection from the B.o.D without requiring a vote from the B.o.D or a referendum from the Community. Withholding of any such information from the B.o.D would be considered a criminal breach of trust and proceedings may be taken out against said person.

thedead1440 2012-09-18 17:12

I know I'm being picky here but I would like to put all this out before anyone cries foul:

With regards to the Membership section:

If a member is expelled from the Foundation, he is given the right to have his appeal heard by the next elected Foundation Council and the next Foundation Council will be given powers to restate the said member. However, rejection by the next Foundation Council would mean no further appeals would be entertained. The Foundation Council's decision is hence final and binding.

The above clause is so that if one Foundation Council abuses its power the next one is allowed to set things right. I don't forsee two consecutive Foundation Councils' abusing their powers to step on the rights of a member. Even then, a Community referendum can always be called in the most unlikliest of scenarios...