maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Help: power button problem (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86653)

m244029 2012-09-07 23:15

Help: power button problem

My nokia n9 power button doesnt work as in hardware ,I must have pressed it too much,when I press it i dont feel the click

So here's my question is there any way to turn on the nokia n9 without a power button because right now its turned off and when I connect it it simply shows the charging logo.

It would be nice if I didn't need to disassemble or flash the device.
also I'm gonna change the cover/housing in a few weeks so i can fix that power button.

In the meantime is there anyway to turn on/off the n9 with for example ; after pressing the volume - for 7 seconds the device turns off or on

PS: if there is a software way to turn on the n9 im on pr1.3
Also a few days ago i was able to turn on the device my pushing rly rly really hard on the power button and eventually the white led on the bottom left would lit up and power on the n9. Unfortunately that was very lucky because i can't seem to do it again.

m244029 2012-09-08 01:13

Re: Help: power button problem

thanks in advance
would be great if i was able to make it boot or reboot via flasher

thedead1440 2012-09-08 02:32

flasher -R

it should do the trick ;)

m244029 2012-09-08 02:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1262889)
flasher -R

i tried that but it got stuck at the ''suitable usb something something not found waiting ...''

thedead1440 2012-09-08 02:39

You should plug in the device only after the above message comes up...

m244029 2012-09-08 03:21

alright i did that but now when i plugged the n9 the led stayed on for 1/3 sec and after that its blinking on/off every 1/15 sec like if it was telling me a morse code or trying to stay on but somethings bothering it

thedead1440 2012-09-08 03:47

are you sure your battery is not actually dead?

Maybe the reserve power has been emptied hence no turn on occurring...

You can investigate this by doing:

flasher -f -F main.bin -R

plug in the phone after the suitable bla bla message comes up...

it should show you the battery level..If its less than 11% no flash will occur and it will charge the device instead...Once it reaches 10% of battery level, plug it out and charge it using a wall charger...

m244029 2012-09-08 08:35

I charged it and i tried
but now screen is black,doesnt even show a charging logo
the white led is like trying to stay still but it can't,its like blinking fast kindof
also when i pressed enter after typing the command,it didnt ask about device bla bla it just made another line of Nokia\Flasher>

Ermany 2013-04-25 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1262889)
flasher -R

what is Flasher- R?

my power button is stuck and i need to turn it back on. how can i trun the phone without the button?

pichlo 2013-04-25 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ermany (Post 1338899)
what is Flasher- R?

Please RTFM. Flasher is a program you run on a PC to reflash the device. The -R command-line option makes the phone reboot.

Ermany 2013-04-25 18:33

will this erase anything on my phone, i kinda know about flashing the device, but i want to simply turn on the phone and not restart anything in it. i dont want to Factory default

i am on 1.3

Jeffrey04 2013-04-25 18:37

i guess OP actually meant the power button doesn't feel as clicky anymore if i didn't just mis-interpreted. I am having the same problem where the button starts to sink a little

btw, plugging a N9 with PR1.3 to a charger should power it up (please correct me if i am wrong), as long as there's enough power to boot the phone

Ermany 2013-04-25 18:40

ya exactly, i need to turn the phone on...( i already have my new nokia n9 i just need some data contacts and such and plug it to my pc so i can see it, i have juice and power, just need to turn it on with software

The Led and charge is there, but its not actually TURNED ON

pichlo 2013-04-25 19:37

Please do not let thedead1440's smiley confuse you. The advice is actually sound. Running flasher with just -R and nothing else will not flash anything but it will reboot the phone. That should result in turning it on.

Ermany 2013-04-25 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1338934)
Please do not let thedead1440's smiley confuse you. The advice is actually sound. Running flasher with just -R and nothing else will not flash anything but it will reboot the phone. That should result in turning it on.

Thank You, but im having trouble to find the installer for Flasher for Mac OS, the firmware link isn't working?
:confused::confused::confused:

once i find it im sure ill get around it , im abit familiar with terminal codes if that helps

Ermany 2013-04-25 20:49

??? where can i download Flasher for the n9 with a Mac os X

pichlo 2013-04-25 22:49

Sorry, no idea. As you've correctly observed, the link on the flashing page does not work. If all else fails, you can always download a Debian or Ubuntu CD and use the Linux version of Flasher in a live session.

Edit: Have you seen this thread? A link to a mirror page is in the first post. A Mac version of Flasher is the fourth download link from the top.

Ermany 2013-04-25 22:57

any other links that would be available to download?
im strictly on a mac os. i really need Flasher For Mac,

Eztran 2013-04-25 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ermany (Post 1338994)
i really need Flasher For Mac,

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1336992)
Have you seen this thread? A link to a mirror page is in the first post. A Mac version of Flasher is the fourth download link from the top.

That edit was made before your post. I'm not sure they could have made that much easier, besides that it seems to me to be to be the fifth link.

The file itself is here, but please read through what people have put next time!

Jeffrey04 2013-04-26 05:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ermany (Post 1338994)
any other links that would be available to download?
im strictly on a mac os. i really need Flasher For Mac,

tablet-dev is mirrored elsewhere, for now you would want to download from this page http://skeiron.org/tablets-dev/maemo-dev-env-downloads/
for OS X, download MacFlasher_3.12.1.dmg

Ermany 2013-04-27 09:36

Thank You ,download worked, will processed to install software . to try to reboot the phone. hope this is easy to do

just type ''R'' ? while in the flasher application ( and THAN plugged to my n9) or it doenst matter if its while its plugged

On a Mac do I use Terminal X? how do i begin the software ?
and will the only step to type in command is

''flasher -R''

i installed the software and nothing happened ?:confused: why do i feel like a newb:(

**UPDATE on terminal i see :Suitable USB interface (bootloader/phonet) not found, waiting...
USB device found at bus 253, device address 3.
Device serial number is N/A
Found device RM-696, hardware revision 1501
NOLO version 2.3.6
Version of 'sw-release': DFL61_HARMATTAN_40.2012.21-3_PR_005
Success

and its ON!!!!!!;):D

***Phone is amazing , i have the White N9 and im Synching Everything wifi in 2 secs via bluethooth thru its own app , i have stop checking this forum for a while, any new cool stuff,apps,gadgets ,forums lately for the n9 anyone can let me know about?

maxdroid 2013-06-30 23:49

Damit.

My power button is completely broken. I tried this and the problem is I have 2 boot options android and maego - so when I choose maego it just gets dark after a 15 sec or so.. :(

With powerbutton it never goes dark like this after I choose the boot option maego.
Is there no way to make it think I actually pressed the power button?

Damit, need to get inside my phone..

edit: I was however able to get into Android and can now see my files in the phone, although I can not connect phone thru usb to computer to transfer them..
I tried rebooting phone by downloading some app but it seems not possible to download these apps for some reason.

myname24 2013-07-01 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxdroid (Post 1355871)
Damit.

My power button is completely broken. I tried this and the problem is I have 2 boot options android and maego - so when I choose maego it just gets dark after a 15 sec or so.. :(

With powerbutton it never goes dark like this after I choose the boot option maego.
Is there no way to make it think I actually pressed the power button?

Damit, need to get inside my phone..

edit: I was however able to get into Android and can now see my files in the phone, although I can not connect phone thru usb to computer to transfer them..
I tried rebooting phone by downloading some app but it seems not possible to download these apps for some reason.

ok here's what i did :

first i reflashed (nitdroid) kernel only and it didn't pass the meego boot screen and second based on an advice on irc i was told to enable rd mode and --set-rd-flags=force-
power-key . It booted normaly and then i disabled rd flag and it did the trick

nokiabot 2013-07-01 03:35

why does the power key break what is the reason? Is it hardware fault? If hardware fault then i think a jumper from the battery line to power key can do the job . But i dont have the the device so cant say how it is configured.

maxdroid 2013-07-01 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by myname24 (Post 1355875)
ok here's what i did :

first i reflashed (nitdroid) kernel only and it didn't pass the meego boot screen and second based on an advice on irc i was told to enable rd mode and --set-rd-flags=force-
power-key . It booted normally and then i disabled rd flag and it did the trick

Umm okay.. How do I go about doing this exactely. (I got flasher installed on windows so have manged to make it reboot using the reboot command flasher -R although only blackscreen after it reboots.)

Do I loose information if I reflash kernel only and as I asked how do I do it?
The other command, where do I type this and after reflashing kernel I presume?

I'm not very familiar with this stuff unfortunately. Thanks for the answer hope I can solve this!

maxdroid 2013-07-01 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1355881)
why does the power key break what is the reason? Is it hardware fault? If hardware fault then i think a jumper from the battery line to power key can do the job . But i dont have the the device so cant say how it is configured.

It's hardware. It's like the resistance just dissapears from the button and you can no longer push it and make the phone register the push no matter how hard you do it.

Do I dissassemble the phone for this, how do you mean?

Have a good one

myname24 2013-07-01 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxdroid (Post 1356005)
Umm okay.. How do I go about doing this exactely. (I got flasher installed on windows so have manged to make it reboot using the reboot command flasher -R although only blackscreen after it reboots.)

Do I loose information if I reflash kernel only and as I asked how do I do it?
The other command, where do I type this and after reflashing kernel I presume?

I'm not very familiar with this stuff unfortunately. Thanks for the answer hope I can solve this!

ok let's try without reflashing kernel although no data is lost .
Use there 2 commands :
flasher.exe --enable-rd-mode
flasher.exe --set-rd-flags=force-
power-key
and tell me if it boots normally .

nokiabot 2013-07-01 16:32

hey you mean the power key juct dosent produces the click like before right . If it is the problem then replacing the switch can do the job :) it just seems a faulty switch by your description . can i get a photo of the switch either from the web or your device:)

maxdroid 2013-07-01 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by myname24 (Post 1356020)
ok let's try without reflashing kernel although no data is lost .
Use there 2 commands :
flasher.exe --enable-rd-mode
flasher.exe --set-rd-flags=force-
power-key
and tell me if it boots normally .

Will try this within 2 hours and let you know, thanks a lot

edit: I'm connecting the phone before I type the commands, or after like flasher -R? will just try both ways if no answer until I get home

maxdroid 2013-07-01 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1356030)
hey you mean the power key juct dosent produces the click like before right . If it is the problem then replacing the switch can do the job :) it just seems a faulty switch by your description . can i get a photo of the switch either from the web or your device:)

I don't know how the switch looks either, but you're probably right although I've heard you have to change the whole chassi for phone since the switch is in this.
I still have one month of warranty left thankfully but still.
It's the nokia n9 power button (below volume buttons) I'm talking about..

myname24 2013-07-01 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxdroid (Post 1356054)
Will try this within 2 hours and let you know, thanks a lot

edit: I'm connecting the phone before I type the commands, or after like flasher -R? will just try both ways if no answer until I get home

type the commands and after that connect the phone

maxdroid 2013-07-01 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by myname24 (Post 1356065)
type the commands and after that connect the phone

It worked mr wizard :D Thank you so much!! I'm in ;)

myname24 2013-07-01 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxdroid (Post 1356068)
It worked mr wizard :D Thank you so much!! I'm in ;)

your lucky because it happened to me a few days ago :D and after that download power control from store ( 1-click reboot/shutdown) and turn it off and disable rd mode

nokiabot 2013-07-01 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxdroid (Post 1356055)
I don't know how the switch looks either, but you're probably right although I've heard you have to change the whole chassi for phone since the switch is in this. I still have one month of warranty left thankfully but still. It's the nokia n9 power button (below volume buttons) I'm talking about..

lol go straight to nokia please ! Btw i dont think the chasis has any relation with power button . And how does the power button feel on pressing when it worked and how it feels now.? If you are not going to nokia then find a service center or you need to open the device yourself which is a bit risky. the power buton would cost about 120 to 200 ruppes at max. Pretty cheap and most of the electronic service centers can do the replacement . :)

nokiabot 2013-07-01 20:05

Alternatively you can open the device and connect the two points of power switch to determine the fault if its power button problem or some breakage in power line:) in phones like thease its highly adviced to desolder the battery before operation:) hope you send it to nokia.:)

Vaskinn 2013-07-01 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by myname24 (Post 1356073)
your lucky because it happened to me a few days ago :D and after that download power control from store ( 1-click reboot/shutdown) and turn it off and disable rd mode

Please tell me more. Will this "power control" help somehow? (searched the store couldn't find anything).

I'm the unluchy owner of an N9 with a broken power button that I'm afraid to let run out of power before I can find a replacement

maxdroid 2013-07-01 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by myname24 (Post 1356073)

if I turn it off and disable rd mode how do I start it up again? won't it just go into the same black screen on reboot as before then. If not how do I disable the rd mode.... I'm not sure about what to do again.... I'm a bit unfamiliar about this remember.

I intend to flash my phone to stock and send it for repairs, hopefully they just switch the whole phone cause I will also complain about the screen being a bit buggy which it is. sometimes I have to let screen go black 3 times before slide open works (since I cant use powerbutton I have to wait for it to go dark before next attempt)

maxdroid 2013-07-01 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskinn (Post 1356084)
Please tell me more. Will this "power control" help somehow? (searched the store couldn't find anything).

I'm the unluchy owner of an N9 with a broken power button that I'm afraid to let run out of power before I can find a replacement

It's called Power Control and I already got it. It works to reboot on my phone without it going black in startup without powerbutton.
I've had it for a couple weeks.

myname24 2013-07-02 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxdroid (Post 1356097)
if I turn it off and disable rd mode how do I start it up again? won't it just go into the same black screen on reboot as before then. If not how do I disable the rd mode.... I'm not sure about what to do again.... I'm a bit unfamiliar about this remember.

I intend to flash my phone to stock and send it for repairs, hopefully they just switch the whole phone cause I will also complain about the screen being a bit buggy which it is. sometimes I have to let screen go black 3 times before slide open works (since I cant use powerbutton I have to wait for it to go dark before next attempt)

use this flasher.exe --disable-rd-mode

to me after disabling rd harmattan booted normally . If it doesn't you can return to rd mode .

maxdroid 2013-07-02 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by myname24 (Post 1356188)
use this flasher.exe --disable-rd-mode

to me after disabling rd harmattan booted normally . If it doesn't you can return to rd mode .

Okey! ;)