maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla1 & TOH (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Will you buy the Jolla phone? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90164)

NokiaFanatic 2013-05-20 23:14

Will you buy the Jolla phone?

Thought it might be fun to have a poll on this :)

NokiaFanatic 2013-05-20 23:17

Re: Will you buy the Jolla phone?

For the record, I will be buying it, my €100 pre-order has been placed already :cool:

LouisDK 2013-05-20 23:24

I'll wait and see if a keyboard case will be available.

marxian 2013-05-20 23:27

I will buy it when it arrives, unless there are reports of significant manufacturing defects from the fanb, err.. I mean pre-order guys. ;)

tonyhuynh 2013-05-20 23:51

I belive in its future...

szopin 2013-05-21 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 1345444)
I will buy it when it arrives, unless there are reports of significant manufacturing defects from the fanb, err.. I mean pre-order guys. ;)

Yeah, this is a bit worrying, no Nokia quality to expect (I've been using second hand N900 mostly for the last 1.5 years which puts it in 2.5 years category, still fully functional, only issue is a bit scratched screen, my original one 'almost new' should get me 2 more years of usage, no scratch on it so far). Problem with this approach is: if you cannot click a button for 0$ informing them of your interest, only being interested after they arrive... they might never arrive. Your interest might go unnoticed. Didn't notice any mention that by clicking preorder for 0$ you are obliged to pay them the 400 euros later. (never clicked this option, so not sure, maybe they expect a signature in blood, in that case I'm sorry)

handaxe 2013-05-21 00:14

I dream that both the Canonical and Jolla could succeed in the phone/tablet space - variety is the spice of life and technology!

marxian 2013-05-21 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by szopin (Post 1345451)
Yeah, this is a bit worrying, no Nokia quality to expect (I've been using second hand N900 mostly for the last 1.5 years which puts it in 2.5 years category, still fully functional, only issue is a bit scratched screen, my original one 'almost new' should get me 2 more years of usage, no scratch on it so far). Problem with this approach is: if you cannot click a button for 0$ informing them of your interest, only being interested after they arrive... they might never arrive. Your interest might go unnoticed. Didn't notice any mention that by clicking preorder for 0$ you are obliged to pay them the 400 euros later. (never clicked this option, so not sure, maybe they expect a signature in blood, in that case I'm sorry)

I clicked that button. :) I'm happy to register my interest, but not to part with money until I at least get more solid information on shipment dates and device specifications. There are still a lot of things that can go wrong, and I can't justify betting 100 euros on them shipping a device. If they are relying on advanced pre-order funds in order to produce and ship the devices (and I doubt they are), then for me that is another reason not to give it to them. I'm nowhere near rich enough to be able to treat relatively wealthy people like a charity case.

We know these guys are talented engineers, but we don't know about their grasp of the more mundane stuff, like manufacturing and logistics. At this stage, I'd rather wait and see.

szopin 2013-05-21 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 1345459)
I clicked that button. :) I'm happy to register my interest

the fanb, err.. I mean pre-order guys.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US!!!

marxian 2013-05-21 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by szopin (Post 1345461)
the fanb, err.. I mean pre-order guys.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US!!!

Yeah, but I'm at the back of the queue. I get one from the second batch, after they've fixed the loose USB port. :p

szopin 2013-05-21 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 1345462)
Yeah, but I'm at the back of the queue. I get one from the second batch, after they've fixed the loose USB port. :p

LOL, I really hope they will include this in the first batch. Just as an injoke. We have so many welding tutorials, time to undust them and update (updating is good)

Zoxir 2013-05-21 00:39

I will probably buy but I would like to see a few more hands on. Maybe browser and some android apps running.

Faz 2013-05-21 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1345442)
For the record, I will be buying it, my €100 pre-order has been placed already :cool:

Same here.

Current N9 user, via Communicator 9000, 9210, N810, N900. I do miss my hardware keyboard. Really hope someone offers a decent other half keyboard. Kickstarter anyone? :)

bingomion 2013-05-21 01:22

Can someone put a link to the announcement or specs? preferably on the first post?
EDIT: https://join.jolla.com/en
looks average.. no keyboard?:mad:

Rather then designing and manufacturing the 'other half' they could have add a freakin HWKB :mad::mad::mad:

Hate to say it, I told you so... cheap hardware, nokia price
I'll stick to my N900

casketizer 2013-05-21 01:45

To me Sailfish seems to be another castrated Linux that has some custom libc with only "Linux APIs that make sense" (i.e. another Bionic).
If that is true then it is not for me, I rather stick to my N900 as a mobile Linux device and integrated communicator plus a current Android flagship as media consumption device.

szopin 2013-05-21 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by casketizer (Post 1345478)
To me Sailfish seems to be another castrated Linux that has some custom libc with only "Linux APIs that make sense" (i.e. another Bionic).
If that is true then it is not for me, I rather stick to my N900 as a mobile Linux device and integrated communicator plus a current Android flagship as media consumption device.

Custom libc? Castrated linux? Not really sure what you mean. Care to elaborate? I was building pretty much everything found on the net on the device itself, never experienced the castration you mention (except OpenGL stuff, GLES is somewhat an option (oh boy, if Jolla had full OpenGL - screw HWKB rant, this would make for 100% linux desktop compatibility)).

casketizer 2013-05-21 02:55

what device are you referring to?
The other castrate i meant is Bionic/Android.

shmerl 2013-05-21 02:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by casketizer (Post 1345478)
Linux that has some custom libc with only "Linux APIs that make sense" (i.e. another Bionic).

Do you have a source? libc comes from Mer, not from Sailfish. Which is glibc. Pretty standard for the Linux world.

casketizer 2013-05-21 03:00

Jolla Boss said it will have "Linux APIs that make sense". Beats me now in which video exactly I saw it.

Lumiaman 2013-05-21 03:20

Hmmmmm....well...if you look at their N9 pedigree, then no. If these are the same people that had since before 2009 to deliver smooth N9 and couldn't why would we trust them now. I am willing to give them a chance if reviews from reasonable people are positive...but otherwise....they will sink that Jolla fast

soryuuha 2013-05-21 03:37

will wait for hwkb, fmtx and lps screen

Dave999 2013-05-21 03:58

I was ready buy device, but didn't expect thar jolla would announce their device without a spec. Never seen that move before.

You can pay, but ut you don't know what you get. Need more information.

geekgirl74 2013-05-21 04:10

I preordered the € 100 package. I'm not rich but I think they deserve my support even though I don't know too much about the specs...

shmerl 2013-05-21 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by casketizer (Post 1345494)
Jolla Boss said it will have "Linux APIs that make sense". Beats me now in which video exactly I saw it.

So how can you make from here a conclusion that it won't use glibc?

youmeego 2013-05-21 05:48

will elop preorder this phone?

panjgoori 2013-05-21 05:50

yes i'm also interested in it if they release it in my region. I don't know why they are taking too time to release their device. i.e end of this year.

casketizer 2013-05-21 05:52

@shmerl
Maybe you want to read my original post again?
I only said what it sounded like TO ME. "Linux APIs that make sense" just doesn't sound like they gonna use glibc TO ME.
If it indeed uses glibc then all is well on this front.
In a linux device I expect to be able to compile all my little custom CLI progs as well as obscure Linux tools from the 90's with little or no tweaking, like you can on N900.

nokiabot 2013-05-21 06:37

Damm glibc why so important??

Kangal 2013-05-21 06:43

Chance of me:

-Pre-ordering with little spec info = 0/10
-Pre-ordering with all spec info = 4/10
-Buying on sale = 6/10
-Buying after the sales = 8/10

(I choose to be smart with my money these days)

qwazix 2013-05-21 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by casketizer (Post 1345522)
@shmerl
Maybe you want to read my original post again?
I only said what it sounded like TO ME. "Linux APIs that make sense" just doesn't sound like they gonna use glibc TO ME.
If it indeed uses glibc then all is well on this front.
In a linux device I expect to be able to compile all my little custom CLI progs as well as obscure Linux tools from the 90's with little or no tweaking, like you can on N900.

Just download the sdk and see for yourself. Linux, qt4, systemd, pulseaudio, ofono, Xorg, python, bash, hardly castrated. By meaningful api's they mean the core is lightweight without bloat. But you can compile whatever you want on it. Desktop mozilla-central compiles okay on it so I can safely assume that your random cli tool will too.

slaapliedje 2013-05-21 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1345535)
Damm glibc why so important??

Because without it, we may as well use Android...

slaapliedje

Vlad_on_the_road 2013-05-21 08:00

Well, I need to see the hw specs and I will certainly wait for the first reviews before taking my decision.
Iphone and Android are a no go for me : too much privacy intrusive in my sense. So I'm very positive right now with this (more) open OS and I may buy it to replace my n900. I just hope they will care to make an "Other Half" hwkb...

P@t 2013-05-21 08:19

I haven't done it yet but will certainly (the pre-order)(just needs couple of days to pass it to my next monthly bill :)). Jolla guys have given lots of love and i believe they need love in return ;)
The same as for N9 after my N900. First I was not 100% convinced that I was gaining so much by switching but I thought "how come we can tell the designer, the makers, the managers that we need more open source phone, we need multi-tasking, we need a terminal, we need to be free..."
We talk with our purse. And I see no interest in waiting for a dream come true that would please all and everybody on earth...

The phone is not that expensive but still it promises a lot. So no doubt for me. It will certainly evolve and some freedom means that we can change part of it.
Obviously it helps to know that France is a primary market (so I have less doubt that it will at least works in 3G here)...

ibins 2013-05-21 08:52

Already sent them 100 Euros.

WTH is it with everybody wanting to know the exact specs? Why is it really so incredibly important to know the used SoC, its clocking, the amount of RAM, the size of the battery? Users of the N900 will definitelly get upgraded (which is not that hard comming from 256MByte RAM and 600 MHz Soc). Users of the N9 most likely will not become downgraded given that Jolla uses a dual core SoC. Are the given infos about storage space, HD display, display size not enough? Is it really a no go if there is only 1GByte RAM? Looking at the pictures also reveales, that there is no second USB port, battery capacity for half a month, epaper back or fancy laser keyboard.

Consumers should get a smooth running device. After all the software is not Android - which performance can be compared on different hardware using exactly Android version x.y.z.

Especially developers should not care that much about the exact CPU speed. Most programs should be created to perform well even on lower hardware specs - like N950 or N9.

I guess this phone is not about the competition race of Hz and Bytes ("mine is longer than yours").

zappAtom 2013-05-21 08:53

Love the concept, but not so much the design! Am very curious about Sailfish but would like to see more about account & contacts integration, etc.
Still looks like they still have a lot of work todo, but if it's going to have the same integration of XMPP, VOIP/SIP, Skype, DLNA, other accounts like in N9 or better... then I think I'll go for Sailfish as my new mobile OS!

icecream 2013-05-21 11:04

at the moment I'm not interested anymore, but I might buy the second Jolla if the first one is a success. I'm just afraid of being left behind with no support and no apps as happened with my N9. I'll keep my N9 to try out Sailfish Os when a custom ROM is released.

jaark 2013-05-21 11:10

Just placed my pre-order :)
I don't recall being this excited about a new device since the N900.

maluka 2013-05-21 11:42

I put my €100 pre-order in immediately. I will probably do the same once Ubuntu releases their phone too. I really would have preferred to have paid the full amount up front though.

greygoo 2013-05-21 11:52

pre ordered, can't wait to get the phone now - last time i felt like this was when i bought my last phone - a n900 :)

olympus 2013-05-21 12:32

will buy.. as soon as it gets the hwkb.