maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   [Everyone's feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle? Which of the existing need to be optified? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92819)

marmistrz 2014-03-03 17:21

[Everyone's feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle? Which of the existing need to be optified?

TL;DR - The list is on the bottom. We're talking only about apps for N900 (Maemo Fremantle). This thread is neither about Sailfish nor Harmattan

It's loosely connected to what we were discussing in the Maemo Reloaded thread.

We don't need just ten more WhatsApp apps. But there are certainly apps which we miss. This list should be an aid for potential developers. Please add apps you miss on Fremantle. If you would be willing to donate something once the app is ready, you can say it too, it'll be added to list too.

You can ask for an improvement in an existing app, since there's no use in reinventing the wheel. But not only this. You can report applications that were of good quality but that no longer work (due to API changes, etc), because of being abandoned by their developers; applications that currently work, but are in danger of suddenly not working because there is no current developer support or
promising applications that were left unfinished. // Thanks for klinlerware for suggestion!

Don't ask for an official TheFreeDictionary/Quizlet/chess.com/whatever app. It's better to focus on general-usage apps and ask the service developers to create a sensible mobile page.

Last but not least, if you're a developer, you can report which library you're missing for creating some app. Or you can say that you want to contribute something from the list. Or even ask whether there would be donors for the app you're about to create.

Please don't ask for MeeCoLay libraries nor Apkenv modules ;)

Update 23 Mar 2014: Please add non-optified packages here too.

The List

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/wBl6lIaQC2

Simply add your points here. Use it for the application list only, discuss here.

michaaa62 2014-03-03 17:49

Re: [Feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle

Are there any projects to replace the browser with a webkit clone? Since some of those linux desktop browsers move to webkit, am i totally wrong, but to me it seems their mobile counterparts would be also based on webkit???

marmistrz 2014-03-03 18:17

Re: [Feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaaa62 (Post 1415273)
Are there any projects to replace the browser with a webkit clone? Since some of those linux desktop browsers move to webkit, am i totally wrong, but to me it seems their mobile counterparts would be also based on webkit???

I didn't notice any sensible browser replacement apart from mine and Android_808's approach. The best way out would be to let the user choose - WebKit or Mozilla (Gecko). But QtWebKit won't be developed anymore, and new Qt WebEngine is not there yet. [1]

[1] http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2013/0...-qt-webengine/

seanmcken 2014-03-04 02:30

Re: [Everyone's feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle

noob here
are alsa and pulseaudio updated?
need updated kernel and its supports
whatever the qt or watever that launched application, it takes time to load and eats much CPU so i dont know what reason would be.
apps like power saver, well these r just scripts but are well mentained and clean we need as deb package.
and important thing why its taking much time to develope anything for fremantle, well its everyone is doing on their own, why not make a group and work on single and then after another? so whatever'll happen it'll happen perfectly, and i trust you developers. may god bless you.

TomJ 2014-03-04 11:28

1. Office software. The ability to view, edit and save word processor and spreadsheet files is incredibly patchy.

2, Finance manager. I have never seen anything as good as the Psion 5 program abp on any other mobile device. Would a GNUCash or KMyMoney port be too painful?

klinglerware 2014-03-04 15:17

I think this is a great idea. I think that we should also note applications that fall under the following categories:

1. Fremantle applications that were of good quality but no longer work (due to API changes, etc), as original developers moved on to other platforms
2. Fremantle applications that currently work, but are in danger of suddenly not working because there is no current developer support
3. Promising Fremantle applications that were left unfinished

I am most interested in 1 & 2, as there are a lot of good applications already out there that simply need a developer to maintain it. This seems to be a potential usability limiter moving forward, especially in the context of maemo potentially getting a new lease on life via the neo900 and other projects.

I am certainly willing to donate to the cause of keeping/reviving maintainer support for the projects I use and don't want to die.

zlatokosi 2014-03-04 16:21

ProfileMatic equivalent...

marmistrz 2014-03-04 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by klinglerware (Post 1415406)
I think this is a great idea. I think that we should also note applications that fall under the following categories:

1. Fremantle applications that were of good quality but no longer work (due to API changes, etc), as original developers moved on to other platforms
2. Fremantle applications that currently work, but are in danger of suddenly not working because there is no current developer support

I am most interested in 1 & 2, as there are a lot of good applications already out there that simply need a developer to maintain it. This seems to be a potential usability limiter moving forward, especially in the context of maemo potentially getting a new lease on life via the neo900 and other projects.

I am certainly willing to donate to the cause of keeping/reviving maintainer support for the projects I use and don't want to die.

Yes, it's a great idea! FreOffice is such an application (3), so I added it to the point "office tools"

And it could be a place for developers to ask who'd donate.

@seanmcken: Are you a developer willing to utilize kernel update? Otherwise, don't report it, as it's not what we're talking about.
You mean the power saving mode as on Harmattan?

xaccrocheur 2014-03-04 17:37

What I would like to see running on Fremantle is Fillmore, a multi-track audio recorder that was really promising.

TomJ 2014-03-04 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by klinglerware (Post 1415406)

I think the intersection of 1 & 3 is the Twitter app space. Is there a finished product for the current twitter APIs?

sixwheeledbeast 2014-03-04 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1415266)
delaying attachment download in Modest[/B]

If anyone is working on modest...

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12670

Also an option to select multiple e-mails (for deletion or moving) would be handy.

marxian 2014-03-04 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1415432)

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12670

Also an option to select multiple e-mails (for deletion or moving) would be handy.

You can already move/delete multiple messages. Select 'Move messages' or 'Delete messages' from the menu, then highlight those messages that you wish to move/delete.

acrux 2014-03-04 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1415266)
TL;DR - The list is on the bottom. We're talking only about apps for N900 (Maemo Fremantle).
4. Office application (from scratch? reusing calligra mobile and it's Harmattan version or simply other office tools? improving FreOffice?

Definitevly the office application. Application to just view documents, spreadsheets, presentations. At least Opendocument and MS formats. Calligra mobile or if it is possible to improve FreOffice to that level then it is OK too.

sixwheeledbeast 2014-03-04 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 1415445)
You can already move/delete multiple messages. Select 'Move messages' or 'Delete messages' from the menu, then highlight those messages that you wish to move/delete.

Ah, sorry yes. I meant handy for text messages, but that's not part of modest. Nevermind.

lonk 2014-03-04 20:55

mypaint upgrade to v1.0, or at least some of its features like layer multiply

taixzo 2014-03-04 22:48

A newer lightweight browser would be good. Has anyone tried to port uzbl yet?

mr_pingu 2014-03-04 23:11

Good support for documents, new browser and a newer mypaint.

Besides what is said above me:
The newest sympy + plot modules
the IRC client Irrgu: While XChat does it job great, I always liked the interface of irrgu more, was more native looking and designed for maemo 5 specifically.

Edit: Earlier version of midori with specific maemo 5 looked great too, except that the engine was broken (https doesn't work)

A good maps application that does offline routing too

sixwheeledbeast 2014-03-04 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1415472)
the IRC client Irrgu:

Pidgin works well.
Use the IRC plugin myself.

handaxe 2014-03-05 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1415472)
A good maps application that does offline routing too

I thought this was one area well serviced right now?

nokiabot 2014-03-05 05:45

A better browser like the default one with javascript html5 flash support to handle complex site on the go -tapatalk -office app to handle odt 2014 files efficently -updating the core apps -ability to use debian repos natively -maybe somebody rewrites the phone ui -improving modrana lastly devlop a compatiblity layer for sailfish android whatever for the hype apps by community funding to the concerned.

taixzo 2014-03-05 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1415494)
lastly devlop a compatiblity layer for sailfish android whatever for the hype apps by community funding to the concerned.

That may not be possible due to apps on other platforms expecting more RAM to be available.

Android_808 2014-03-05 07:37

can i add clones to stock apps. obviously we have qalendar, omp, calculator, worldclock and camera but no contacts, conversations, phone or gallery. There have been some projects for contacts and gallery related work but they seem to have stopped development.

once there open source, porting to qt5 or gtk3 should be easier.

rotoflex 2014-03-05 07:38

Since the beginning, there has been dissatisfaction with there being no good method of syncing the N900 calendar with any other, even though there have been tortured workarounds - going through the cloud, etc.

It would be nice to see a calendar & contacts database that was more easily synced with apps in other OS's.

zerox 2014-03-05 13:52

Playlist management in QSpot.

marmistrz 2014-03-05 14:09

Re: [Everyone's feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle?

@all: I created a public pad (in etherpad), so that everyone can add their thoughs directly. See the OP. If you had posted here since the last edit, please add it on the pad too.

pichlo 2014-03-05 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1415432)

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7139

It says fixed in 2.2009.51-1 but is definitely an issue for me in 21.2011.38-1 (+CSSU +Thumb).

Related bugs (possible duplicates):

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6880
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11925
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11993

Xagoln 2014-03-11 05:47

I have some very simple apps I'd like to develop, however I don't have any experience with Qt and all of the Scratchbox stuff is pretty confusing.
  • a task list/log for daily recurring tasks which logs e.g. that you did your study, language practice, piano/guitar practice, exercise, meditation, etc. The repeat intervals could be set to be daily or every X days. The user simply ticks each task off for the day and the app would then regenerate the list of tasks each day based on the repetition. The user could then look at the log to see their performance, maybe eventually have graphs or something. I think the logs can really motivate us to do self-improvement stuff that we want to do on a regular basis. I personally think it's all a bit messy to use the main calendar for this, and the logging wouldn't be easy.
  • a meditation timer (similar to the various countdown timers but with some more options.

Edit: I am aware of Taskpoach and MaeCalTasks and other alternative task lists for N900, but I am not aware of any that log recurring tasks and allow review of performance.

pichlo 2014-03-11 06:50

These are the apps I've been dearly missing, in the order of preference:

1. A decent programmable calculator. There are a few in extras but frankly, the UI of most of them has a lot to be desired. The most usable is Galculator but that is a) only in the Diablo repos and b) not programmable.

2. An offline, vector based satnav app. The only one from that category was Sygic which has met an unfortunate end. Modrana is good and is even actively maintained but the tile maps for even a single country are nearly an insurmountable task to obtain. Something like a NavFree port from Android would be perfect (not sure if it is vector based since the maps are based on OSM but it has an option to download maps for specific countries straight from the app and they do not take much space).

3. A more configurable alarm clock. One that would play the whole alarm, not just the first 20 seconds. With an option to select to e.g. play the alarm 3 times, snooze for 2 minutes, repeat 4 times. With a possibility to set these options per alarm, not just globally.

4. A phone app that records the number, time and duration of the call. Ideally with an option to record the voice as well: although we have 3rd party apps for that, an integrated feature would be much preferable, with a button you could press during the call.

5. An application for very basic video editing. Nothing fancy, I would be happy if it had just two operations: cut and join. Oh the number of times I wished I could cut out a smaller clip from a longer video just made with the camera, or stitch two shorter clips together.

6. Same as above, but for sound. Something like "Sound Recorder" in Windows 95. Having a few other options such as increase/decrease the speed (for both #5 and #6) would be welcome extras but not essential.

7. A simple photo panorama app.

8. An inline (NB: not online) spell checker. Something that would highlight spelling mistkaes while typing e.g. this missive.

9. A more powerful expense manager. I use Expense Log but that is far too basic. Something that could do at least a monthly summary would be nice.

panjgoori 2014-03-11 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1415454)
Ah, sorry yes. I meant handy for text messages, but that's not part of modest. Nevermind.

+1 for deleting multiple messages in a conversation. its much needed function which conversation application lacks.

Soulaxe 2014-03-11 08:12

1. A faster browser capable of modern software.

2. Productivity/creativity apps, a simple video editor, photo editor, painter(speed of default, power of mypaint), animation(pencil, aseprite), music(Sunvox).

3. LibreOffice or other office software

nokiabot 2014-03-11 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1415496)
That may not be possible due to apps on other platforms expecting more RAM to be available.

i dont think running normal apps one at a time can be a problem..

Estel 2014-03-11 10:11

Some of the proposed programs can be easily (and comfortably - without major slowdowns) run via EasyDebian. For example, I use LibreOffice suite daily. Sure, not exactly the kind of "native" (although, technically, native indeed - without any emulation) that people think of everyday, but still works and is better than nothing.

As for propositions - it would be nice if someone could pick up development of Orecchiette - Maemo is really in need of good, reliable recprding program, that can record calls automatically.

/Estel

//Edit
Haven't included idea on etherpad, as it's not working well with microB :D (which, BTW, is the case with absolute minority of pages - most are working surprisingly well with our aged browser, so shame on mozilla).

_David_ 2014-03-11 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulaxe (Post 1416189)
A faster browser capable of modern software.

I haven't used it but why not port the Sailfish browser?

https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser

ade 2014-03-11 20:54

Don't want to ruin the party, but a key ingredient is m.i.a. in this thread: developers...

Android_808 2014-03-11 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by _David_ (Post 1416230)
I haven't used it but why not port the Sailfish browser?

https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser

I was porting some of the code into my microb replacement (29.0a1 with qt ui). Due to dropped support for qt4 in embedlite its on hold at the moment. Hope to eventually port to qt5 at some stage but it will need to use qml as dev said support for widgets was going as well.

dvb 2014-03-12 01:43

1. I'd love to see Recaller not so buggy. It worked for me untill some change in CSSU, IIRC. I love it for no need to be opened for recording phone calls like say Orcchiette. Also it is much faster to press a button on the desktop, rather to open an app and press button there.

2. I desperately need a working MessageBlocker app. I'm so tires of SMS spam. Since v0.3 this app doesn't block anything.

3. You say we don't need another watsapp client, but I don't see a working libpurple version. I think having all messaging protocols in one place is a good idea. It could be just a messaging client without file or photo interchanging or anything else telepathy doesn't support. The same is for new google hangouts.

marmistrz 2014-03-13 17:22

@Estel,dvb: And don't we have myDicto for recording? It serves me really great - it provides such a good quality that you can even record gigs with it :)

@pichlo,Android_808,panjgoori,anyone who hasn't: Please add your posts to the pad

We won't have any Sailfish apps as we'd need Wayland. And if we had Wayland we'd need to rewrite most of UI to support Wayland. And even if we rebuilt the open source Sailfish apps, Silica isn't open source. So not now...

@ade: I was tempted too create a thread "How to resurrect Maemo" which would imply brainstorming how to motivate devs, but I decided it's better to find out what we need first, and then handle it appropriately

burwat292596 2014-03-13 19:10

"I was tempted to create a thread "How to resurrect Maemo" which would imply brainstorming how to motivate devs, but I decided it's better to find out what we need first, and then handle it appropriately" by marmistrz

Salient point here, neo900 gone very quiet and most recent posts are Jolla related. Sadly the n900 has been relegated to second place here, on it's home patch! This observation coming from a relative "tourist" as opposed to the "core members" posting here...

handaxe 2014-03-13 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1416591)
@ade: I was tempted too create a thread "How to resurrect Maemo" which would imply brainstorming how to motivate devs, but I decided it's better to find out what we need first, and then handle it appropriately

True. The neo900 is key to this IMO and indeed without a resurrection, the neo900 experience would be a poorer one. Yes, there are working OS telephony stacks but the OS telephony integration of maemo is special, warts 'n all.

kraker_abhy 2014-03-13 20:05

I think below are the application which can be really useful:

1. A decent lightweight browser.
2. Better mail client, which doesn't slow down N900 but work in background.
3. Some app to stop draining battery (put internet connection on sleep maybe) when connected to internet but only used by conversation plugin. (I have to always off internet to save bat which doesn't let me be online for much longer on N900)
4. If possible skydrive (onedrive) client cos it provide more storage and also it doesn't have server down issue like ubuntu one have (for me).
5. Application like easyanswer is there for harmattan (least required).
6. Any shortcut to close all open tasks maybe in power menu (least required).
7. Phone app should show call duration info so we don't need to go to extended call log for just that (least required).

Thanks