maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Device Collections (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92914)

Dave999 2014-03-22 09:57

Device Collections

I seen and heard about lots of cool devices and I'm sure some of you out there have really cool devices and collections.

And as a celebration to this cool collection image I think we need a collection thread with nice photos of collections. This is by far one of the best collection images I have seen and it seems that it was "stolen" by The Verge as well...from a member at TMO...

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3650...1-29_1306o.jpg

Please share your mobile device/tablets in image.

If you can make the image as nice as possible so I can create a poll later on...for best image/collection (if we, TMO have some nice collactions..)

myname24 2014-03-22 11:11

Re: Device Collections

the "lauta" device is missing :p

Kangal 2014-03-22 11:24

Very cool, very cool.

Which Verge article was it presented in?

Dave999 2014-03-22 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1418043)
Very cool, very cool.

Which Verge article was it presented in?

This one: http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/29/5...nds-on-preview

But I won't name the TMO member because it's up to him, plus it's still unknown to me if they just took it, tagged it and used it or if he gave it to them. Doesn't really matter in this thread. cause it all about the cool collection!

marxian 2014-03-22 15:02

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2858/zskb.jpg

Photo taken with my N8.

Lumia is now back in its coffin. :)

Mikkosssss 2014-03-22 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 1418060)
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2858/zskb.jpg

Photo taken with my N8.

Lumia is now back in its coffin. :)

No Jolla yet? I am missing CuteTube. :p

nieldk 2014-03-22 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1418055)
My current lineUp of device used on a regular basis . (Missing: My jPhone is used by other family member, My Note lll sleeping at work)

http://i61.tinypic.com/28akl6q.jpg

Feel free to share yours...

I am happy I dont have that mysterious jPhone.
I like my Jolla :P

Half-Life_4_Life 2014-03-22 18:37

I currently have a N900, a Nokia 5200 and a Huawei Y300.
When I look at these collections, it makes me nervous. :D

panjgoori 2014-03-22 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life (Post 1418087)

agree. i only have a Xperia SP and Nokia N900. Nice collection Dave and Marxian. and @Marxian no Android device ??? Why ???

tommo 2014-03-22 20:57

1 Attachment(s)
My collection :)

panjgoori 2014-03-22 21:07

great collection tommo. Jolla and BB Z10 in white are the sexiest.

Wasmachinemann-NL 2014-03-22 21:15

Four N900s, only one working properly as a daily driver for Rockbox and making fanfics, another one is going to be used as MTB navigation+eCoach/bike computer.

nieldk 2014-03-22 22:23

I have no pictures LOL, from what I recall:
Jolla, 2xN9, n900, geeksphone peak, lumia 800, Nokia Communicator 9110i, Galaxy S and some really really old ones ;) even a few Chineese dualsim (whatever OS)

DJJonosound 2014-03-22 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1418055)
My current lineUp of device used on a regular basis . (Missing: My jPhone is used by other family member, My Note lll sleeping at work)

http://i61.tinypic.com/28akl6q.jpg

Feel free to share yours...

The Nexus 7 is upside down :p

Dave999 2014-03-23 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL (Post 1418106)
Five N900s, only one working properly as a daily driver for Rockbox and making fanfics.

Why not make a n900 burger with bread and post the photo...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1418115)
I have no pictures LOL, from what I recall:
Jolla, 2xN9, n900, geeksphone peak, lumia 800, Nokia Communicator 9110i, Galaxy S and some really really old ones ;) even a few Chineese dualsim (whatever OS)

Feel free to create one...It not a requirment but its more Fun With images. Why not put them Outside while playing in the Wild?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJonosound (Post 1418118)
The Nexus 7 is upside down :p

Damn it, You are right. But to My defence. How do you decide what is up and Down on buttonless device? ;) The CAM works from Bottom as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life (Post 1418087)

Why not create a photo? You are the master of photo competitions and truly hope you don't feel nervous. If you do we should delete the whole thread. It was never the intent of this thread...

chenliangchen 2014-03-23 21:30

1 Attachment(s)
N900-N950-N9 (Changed the case to pink for my GF) Jolla with 2 TOH

Nokia 808 & 909 & 2520

Red BB Z10, Lime Sony Xperia Z1 Compact for flashing Sailfish in the near future. (4.3 inch, nice screen, decent camera, elegant build quality, perfect device to run Sailfish.):D

PS: I missed my favourite old dream the black Nokia N93i, forgot which drawer I left it...

Half-Life_4_Life 2014-03-23 22:16

Nice colorful collection Chen!
@Dave, I may make a photo soon. But My N900 is really looking bad. But I'll just turn the screen on! :P

Wasmachinemann-NL 2014-03-25 12:09

Here's a pic, I got 4 N900s, not 5 :c
http://uploadffs.nl/images/2014/03/25/RO73.jpg
Most left one is ded, doesn't do anything, middle one = Ded keyboard, most right one = working properly, don't know whats wrong with the one missing it's keyboard though.

wout.martens 2014-03-25 12:31

Part of the collection... Still have some mobile phones and tablets
And of course the HTC One which i used to make the image ^^

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...collection.png

n900hacker 2014-03-25 15:51

1 Attachment(s)
This is my device collection! The Amstrad GP1000 i use for testing new navigation softwares (WinCE), Nokia 5230 (for testing CFWs), HTC 8S (as second phone), Nokia 6680 and N70 (used for some java games), Samsung Pocket (rom testing), iPhone 3GS (music and some games), LG U970 (use it in concerts, i broke my N9 during Marduk show one month after purchasing), Nokia N900 (everyday/everything phone). My N810 is somewhere at home. Photo taken with a crappy chinese phone that was laying on the table :D

k6ps 2014-03-30 19:27

The (somewhat historical) collection of my family:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-o...0/IMG_1983.JPG

On the photo:
  • Nokia N9 - my daily phone
  • iPhone 4S - wife's daily phone
  • All three generations of kids' phones branded by our local operator with our local famous cartoon character Lotte. These are cheapish Android phones in daily use, plus an old retired SonyEricsson. Both feature user-replaceable battery and MicroSD support, but the Android versions are older and cannot be upgraded any more.
  • Samsung B2100 waterproof - used as backup/secondary and outdoors phone.
  • Nokia 5230 Navi - my previous daily phone running Symbian S60. The S60 had a nice feature that i'm missing in my N9, and that no modern smartphone platform has (as far as i know - i haven't actually checked Windows Phone) - voice dialing in my native Estonian language that is actually USABLE. I was able to touch one button only and say any of my contact's name to initiate call while driving, and there was 9 out of 10 chance that it resolves the name correctly. This was possible five years ago. However, all the modern ones (e.g. those using Google Voice) are not usable for me because they don't support my native language. I wouldn't mind it requiring internet connection, also i wouldn't mind speaking English, Russian, or Finnish to my phone, but not resolving any of my (mostly Estonian) contact names is a showstopper.
  • Handspring Visor Edge - i gave it as present to my wife in 2002. It features PalmOS 3.5, Li-ion battery, monochrome tapscreen, metal case. There is even my engraved love letter to my wife somewhat visible in the metal lid. ;). This device is long ago retired, but works fine.
  • Palm Tungsten T - my successor to Handspring Visor Platinum. Also retired long ago. I lost the stylus, but otherwize this thing should work.
  • Nokia 2110 - once famous model in the 1990s. This was my wifes first phone, purchased second-hand. It has broken antenna and no battery, but otherwise should work.
  • All our current laptops below.

Missing from the photo, but once part of my collection:
  • Nokia 8110i- my very first phone. As a first year university student in a post-Soviet Union area, i gave about 3/4 of my entire wealth to get that phone. Was very exited about the Netgate technology of SMS-based services - a very first hint of the future of mobile internet to come. I used that phone for seven years and at some point had ALL the original accessories. However, in one dull rainy Autumn day i accidentally dropped it under bus and was not able to retrieve.
  • Handspring Visor Platinum - my first tablet kind of thing. It was called PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) or palmtop computer back then. I was very keen fan of Handspring and PalmOS. Had several hardware extension modules: GPS, voice recorder, etc. I also developed a few PalmOS apps. Some years ago i donated this device to computer museum of my university.
  • Nokia 6310i - my successor to 8110i. This seemed like a perfect phone at that time: had bluetooth and EDGE, had a decent SDK based on Java ME (i developed a few apps), had WAP browser (i regularily used several WAP sites), battery life was a week or so. I was very happy with that model. But i dropped it into water :(
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 - among the very first generation of Android tablets by Samsung. It was not upgradeable beyond some point, so i wasn't even very unhappy when my kid dropped it to pavement and broke the glass after two years of usage.
  • Pebble Steel - i'm waiting for my order to be fulfilled. ETA is early May so far :)

Sorry for long text :)

Update: Pebble Steel and Nexus 7 now also added to collection.
Update 2: Nope, Windows doesn't seem to have Estonian voice support either

FlashInTheNight86 2014-03-30 20:38

1 Attachment(s)
My N900, Chinese Galaxy S3 with broken touchpad for charging batteries, and an almost indestructible GT-E2152 for just in case.
Elegant, isn't it? :D

Dave999 2014-04-19 18:39

Nice collections folks. Keep em coming...

qwazix 2014-04-20 19:31

http://play.qwazix.com/shared/devices.jpg

Here's mine :-)

mscion 2014-04-22 17:36

2 Attachment(s)
Couple of group shots. I have a somewhat diverse family. Included are Nokia E72, 2 N900, Galaxy Note 1,2, and 3, N9 and Jolla. We're a family and I love them all. Oh yes in the background is my Lenovo ThinkPad that has been twisted into a tablet. It is running Ubuntu.

Wasmachinemann-NL 2014-05-05 11:59

Here are all my phones I got:
http://uploadffs.nl/images/2014/05/05/LrvlR.jpg
3x N900
6110 [works properly]
3310 [Ded]
MT50 [works properly]
SXG75 [A rare phone, works!]
3110c [Old phone from my dad]
9300 [not a 9300i :(]

xanderx 2014-05-05 12:16

:eek::eek:
I just saw the tags section for this thread...
Nice one!

cr0c0 2014-05-21 01:16

I just bought another N900. Fully functional, the screen is pretty scratched and it's missing the battery. The previous owner tried overclocking it through some utility, and thought he bricked it. Flashed it, and it works perfectly. Decent waste of $20.

Do I need help? I now have 4 fully functional N900s, total cost around $200 all together. I just can't stop myself, I'm like Mel Gibson and Catcher in the Rye. If the N900 is $20-30, even if it doesn't work, I have to buy it. :D

Anyway, here's my current device collection, as most people here I've had dozens of other devices in the past:

5x N900 (one is just broken parts)
Nexus S
Nexus 4
Sony Ericsson T630

endsormeans 2014-05-21 02:47

AH HA! You are the one who got it!
I hemmm'd and haw'd over whether to take the risk or not...
Glad it made it back to the land of the living.... :D
Deal of the day man....

Haahaha ...yup you are definitely a Maemoklept :D

cr0c0 2014-05-21 03:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1426157)
AH HA! You are the one who got it!
I hemmm'd and haw'd over whether to take the risk or not...
Glad it made it back to the land of the living.... :D
Deal of the day man....

Haahaha ...yup you are definitely a Maemoklept :D

Typing on the "new" n900 now. It was posted on Toronto kijiji, right? Small world, isn't it... one thing that I am debating is if I should take it apart and solder the USB port. I did it on the main n900, but now I have so many spares that if one dies it almost makes no difference.

In any case, yet another one in the collection.

endsormeans 2014-05-21 03:54

TORONTO KIJIJI!?!?
Well then you missed picking up a 2nd and I missed grabbing 2 at that kind of price !!!
There was one on ebay...perhaps the same fellow... something like 20-25$ ...it just went yesterday or day before.. I believe.
It was mentioned it was overclocked and supposedly half or completely dead. Was pretty close to hitting the bid button...but didn't.
I never knew of the kijiji one.
Well and Well.

cr0c0 2014-05-21 04:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1426160)
TORONTO KIJIJI!?!?
Well then you missed picking up a 2nd and I missed grabbing 2 at that kind of price !!!
There was one on ebay...perhaps the same fellow... something like 20-25$ ...it just went yesterday or day before.. I believe.
It was mentioned it was overclocked and supposedly half or completely dead. Was pretty close to hitting the bid button...but didn't.
I never knew of the kijiji one.
Well and Well.

It's not without risk though... For all I knew, this N900 was dead. Then again, it's a Nokia so how dead can any of them be?

Another N900 I have was chewed by a dog, and the owner forgot the PIN. The LCD was cracked, the digitizer has bite marks in it. Replaced the LCD but not the digitizer, reflashed, works like new. :D

But I seriously have NO need for this many of them. :p

Shadwblade2652 2014-05-21 04:22

I have one N9.

Does that count as a collection?

endsormeans 2014-05-21 04:25

Ha! Even the dog knew the value of one and wanted a n900 as his own toy!
they do take a lickin'
Now you have enough of them to put almost every running os (hmmm maybe you might need a few more actually :D) on each n900.

Well ....if you ever think of selling one keep me in mind...wouldn't mind havin a back-up beater.

endsormeans 2014-05-21 04:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadwblade2652 (Post 1426162)
I have one N9.

Does that count as a collection?

Oh hell why not...the n9 can do a raft full-o things so why not count it as a multiple. :D

crni_labud 2014-05-22 16:42

1 Attachment(s)
Doro 622, N900, W880i, X7, 8850, 9300

vetsin 2014-05-29 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cr0c0 (Post 1426155)
Do I need help? I now have 4 fully functional N900s, total cost around $200 all together. I just can't stop myself, I'm like Mel Gibson and Catcher in the Rye. If the N900 is $20-30, even if it doesn't work, I have to buy it. :D

Line highlighted in bold red really hit something in me... now I can't shake off the urge to buy a second hand N900...
I searched for a used N900 after reading that last week, got in touch with the seller but the deal didn't push through because she wasn't able to answer my questions.
I still got the itch and I'm thinking about getting it tomorrow.

cr0c0 2014-05-30 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetsin (Post 1427260)
Line highlighted in bold red really hit something in me... now I can't shake off the urge to buy a second hand N900...
I searched for a used N900 after reading that last week, got in touch with the seller but the deal didn't push through because she wasn't able to answer my questions.
I still got the itch and I'm thinking about getting it tomorrow.

At least in Toronto, N900s are not that difficult to find. There's maybe one for sale every few weeks, ranging in price from $20 for a non functional one to about $100 for a working one, but likely missing all accessories and even battery. The thing is they simply don't sell. So if you search every week or so, you WILL find one on kijiji.

Do not expect them to be in great physical condition though. Scratched digitizers, paint chipping on the keyboard, dents in the screen bezel and elsewhere are pretty much guaranteed. These are 5 year old phones that were used. Interestingly, every slider on these N900s works almost as new.

Good luck finding another one. It shouldn't be impossible. ;)

vetsin 2014-05-30 04:22

Seller told me item was sold. I think that's good in a way. :)

imaginaryenemy 2014-06-26 03:56

N9, N9, 808, C6-01, 5530
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/IMG_0891.JPG

Each of these devices still serve a purpose to me, though the magenta N9 is my daily driver.