maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Nominations for Council election Q4 2014 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94230)

Win7Mac 2014-11-29 22:11

Nominations for Council election Q4 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1449840)
I see three who have done a really big effort, and who I would like to see continue their great work. These three not only have done huge work as counselors, but also in the forum, helping all members.

I therefore nominate:

- Peterleinchen
- Juiceme
- RzR

I hope they all will accept.

Excellent candidates and I hope the same.
Additionally, I nominate (in alphabetical order):

- benny1967
- chainsawbike
- chemist
- foobar
- gerbick
- jackburton
- jalyst
- klinglerware
- mariusmssj
- mentalisttraceur
- minimos
- morpog
- pichlo
- qwazix
- shawnjefferson
- sixwheeledbeast
- thedead1440
- wikiwide
- woody14619

Visit the wiki-page for an up-to-date list of candidates and who's in or out:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...ection_Q4_2014

(Special Thanks to sixwheeledbeast + rzr!)

peterleinchen 2014-12-02 21:53

Re: Nominations for Council election Q4 2014

Just pushing this one also up.
It is not yet time to announce yourself, but make up your mind (may take some days ;)).

Dave999 2014-12-02 22:02

I think most names is very suitable for a vote. But personal I would like to see any elected person to choose between admin/council/director/mod. Only one role per member if possible.

Gerbick left the building. I hope he's OK where ever he is, the good old gerbick. But he can't get nominated since he left, right? Plus, he has declined more times than...3.

HtheB 2014-12-02 22:06

no HtheB in the list? :( that's a bummer

dirkvl 2014-12-02 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1450440)
no HtheB in the list? :( that's a bummer

it seems nobody likes you

you want me to nominate you?

www.rzr.online.fr 2014-12-02 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirkvl (Post 1450444)
it seems nobody likes you

you want me to nominate you?

Well, I nominate dirkvl's , only because you're made with love ;)
and you applied to prev election

same with others chainsawbike,TomJ, Mariusmssj, Brandon Saxe (jackburton)

And also nieldk because I think he left too early this current council ...

As reminder :

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...e_declarations

If I forgot others please remind it to me (PM or email is ok)

pichlo 2014-12-02 23:10

Is it OK to nominate someone without their prior consent? If I nominate someone without asking privately first and the person does not accept, (s)he will have to turn down the nomination publicly. Some people may not like this kind of pressurising.

Not that I am too bothered personally. I would ask the person first but I did not mind turning down my nomination publicly the last time. I also promised to accept it this time and I am happy to keep the promise if needed.

thedead1440 2014-12-03 07:56

While I wouldn't mind running for Council now that I have got the breather I needed, I have to reject this nomination simply due to differing time zones. Living in Singapore means I am only available from 1500-1700 GMT while meetings start and end out of this range hence making it impractical to participate.

www.rzr.online.fr 2014-12-03 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1450485)
While I wouldn't mind running for Council now that I have got the breather I needed, I have to reject this nomination simply due to differing time zones. Living in Singapore means I am only available from 1500-1700 GMT while meetings start and end out of this range hence making it impractical to participate.

There is no fixed dates for meetings and it can be reorganized depending on the location of councilors ...

juiceme 2014-12-03 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr (Post 1450486)
There is no fixed dates for meetings and it can be reorganized depending on the location of councilors ...

Indeed. The current practice of having weekly Council meetings on tuesdays @ 20:00 UTC is just something that was decided between Councillors as a timeframe mostly suitable or us. Anything can be arranged, including more or less formal meetings.

Besides, it is the usual practice that Council can be contacted by Maemoans via posting to council mailing list or raising a topic on #maemo-meeting any time they want. One or more Councillors should be checking the channel frequently.

NokiaFanatic 2014-12-03 09:06

I nominate dave999 :)

Dave999 2014-12-03 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1450493)
I nominate dave999 :)

As president of TMO? Sorry, I have to pass on this generous offer. I have little to no time.

TomJ 2014-12-03 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr (Post 1450451)
Well, I nominate dirkvl's , only because you're made with love ;)
and you applied to prev election

same with others chainsawbike,TomJ, Mariusmssj, Brandon Saxe (jackburton)

And also nieldk because I think he left too early this current council ...

As reminder :

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...e_declarations

If I forgot others please remind it to me (PM or email is ok)

Jolly kind, but i've started an OU cse on top of my new job and don't think i have the overhead to do this as well.

juiceme 2014-12-03 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomJ (Post 1450534)
Jolly kind, but i've started an OU cse on top of my new job and don't think i have the overhead to do this as well.

It sometimes is wise to know when enough is enough :p

I have a fulltime day job where I just joined an exiting new product program which takes my time really really fully. On top of that I also was elected Union Rep for over 300 employees at my building. Not to say I am also handling the finances of a Floorball Club I play in... and besides playing I also coach few youngsters to boot...

Now how am I coping with all this? no idea! I just hold everything together as well as I can! :p

peterleinchen 2014-12-03 23:09

I am proud to be allowed to add
HtheB
to the list of nominees!

Wikiwide 2014-12-04 05:07

Quick reply...

How is this page going?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...ection_Q4_2014

What's the difference between admin/council/director/mod?

List of nominations (based on this thread):
benny1967
chainsawbike
chemist
- Dave999 (little to no time)
dirkvl
foobar
gerbick
HtheB
jackburton
jalyst
Juiceme (job)
klinglerware
mariusmssj
mentalisttraceur
minimos
morpog
nieldk
Peterleinchen
pichlo
qwazix
RzR
shawnjefferson
sixwheeledbeast
? thedead1440 (Singapore?)
- TomJ (job)
wikiwide
woody14619

Best wishes. Thinking on whether to decline or accept the nomination.

Is it possible to have Council larger than five persons?

[Edit]
Ok, Council is between three and five members, but anybody else chiming in, volunteering, is welcome.
[/Edit]

peterleinchen 2014-12-04 06:51

@wikiwide
No, 5 (or 3) people will form the council.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...ection_process

One important hint for all members willing to participate as nominee (karma > 100):
as just found out last night there seem to be members around that still not have linked their maemo.org account to the one of talk.maemo.org (yeah, two different accounts!) history ;).

So anyone willing to participate check this out
http://wiki.maemo.org/Link_talk.maem...mo.org_profile

--edit
Please note that karma recalculation will not take place immediately but -due to midgard- it my take up to two weeks.
So everybody on that list (and also all other who may like to join) please follow above link ASAP.

juiceme 2014-12-04 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1450595)
Please note that karma recalculation will not take place immediately but -due to midgard- it my take up to two weeks.
So everybody on that list (and also all other who may like to join) please follow above link ASAP.

If that proves to be impossible karma can be calculated and updated manually but as this is an extra task to admins it should be avoided.

Win7Mac 2014-12-04 21:23

Woody kindly declined.

But I think I've missed reinob... ;)

peterleinchen 2014-12-04 21:26

+10 (little chars)

reinob 2014-12-05 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win7Mac (Post 1450706)
But I think I've missed reinob... ;)

Sh1t! my cover is blown! :)

I actually thought about this (now that I'm even a passive user of IRC and all :), but I'll let it pass for now. I also have a full-time job (well, technically 80% so that I can take care of the kids as well) plus kids (which as previously mentioned overlap with my job :), meaning my free time is severely limited (and reserved for the wife, who also needs (or rather, deserves :) attention :).

There, I chicken out (for now). But I'll come back some day.

Dave999 2014-12-05 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinob (Post 1450755)
Sh1t! my cover is blown! :)

I actually thought about this (now that I'm even a passive user of IRC and all :), but I'll let it pass for now. I also have a full-time job (well, technically 80% so that I can take care of the kids as well) plus kids (which as previously mentioned overlap with my job :), meaning my free time is severely limited (and reserved for the wife, who also needs (or rather, deserves :) attention :).

There, I chicken out (for now). But I'll come back some day.

Come on! Work 80% kids 100% then u have atleast 36 % left for TMO...Including 84 % wasted on your hobbies/wife) :)

This coming from one with little to no time. That's why it's more fun to use percentage rather than hours.

reinob 2014-12-05 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1450765)
Come on! Work 80% kids 100% then u have atleast 36 % left for TMO...Including 84 % wasted on your hobbies/wife) :)

This coming from one with little to no time. That's why it's more fun to use percentage rather than hours.

OK you're right. Lame excuse. Didn't want to just say that I'm a lazy spaniard. Oops.

Still, there's this small detail that I cannot quite solve. WTF does the council actually do?

I know, the question is (supposed to be) provocative. I have read the bylaws and related documents. Removing the Nokia-factor from the whole thing I don't quite see what *my* tasks would involve were I to candidate and get elected.

But hey, I'll anyway consider whether I actually want to candidate (there's still some time).

klinglerware 2014-12-05 13:12

I am flattered by the nomination. I will take a few days to think about whether to accept the opportunity to stand for election...

benny1967 2014-12-05 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win7Mac (Post 1449844)
Additionally, I nominate (in alphabetical order):

- benny1967

It makes me very proud somebody thinks I'd deserve a place on this list. There are several reasons why it's better I decline - but that's not the main reason I write this post. I write it because I really feel honored and want to thank Win7Mac for thinking of me in such a way. :)

Dave999 2014-12-05 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinob (Post 1450772)
OK you're right. Lame excuse. Didn't want to just say that I'm a lazy spaniard. Oops.

Still, there's this small detail that I cannot quite solve. WTF does the council actually do?

I know, the question is (supposed to be) provocative. I have read the bylaws and related documents. Removing the Nokia-factor from the whole thing I don't quite see what *my* tasks would involve were I to candidate and get elected.

But hey, I'll anyway consider whether I actually want to candidate (there's still some time).

Just look at the threads and discussion from the previous councils over the years. Mostly you just participate in endless discussion about nothing...Grab a device or two for free and send one or two open letters to random people or organizations...Maybe create a diagram or two :p

Yeah, that pretty much it, I guess. No cocktail partys, red carpets, real appreciation or recognition. You are also almost always under attack from someone trying to know "stuff" better than you, doesn't really matter what you do :D

peterleinchen 2014-12-05 16:21

Except the free devices, above seems true! ;)

nieldk 2014-12-05 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1450796)
Just look at the threads and discussion from the previous councils over the years. Mostly you just participate in endless discussion about nothing...Grab a device or two for free and send one or two open letters to random people or organizations...Maybe create a diagram or two :p

Yeah, that pretty much it, I guess. No cocktail partys, red carpets, real appreciation or recognition. You are also almost always under attack from someone trying to know "stuff" better than you, doesn't really matter what you do :D

Which is.... My point, and why I closed/reopened my account.
My Karma is less than 100 !
I can't be accepted for nomination, and I will continue my contributions as a "dumb" user.

All the nominations are good people.

But, I will have to decline the nomination

peterleinchen 2014-12-06 22:07

Just to bump it back to the last day's posts.

And to remind everybody to think (loud) about volunteering/nominating.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1450622

reinob 2014-12-09 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1450942)
And to remind everybody to think (loud) about volunteering/nominating.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1450622

OK. I actually would like to volunteer. Is this enough, or do I have to send it to the mailing list? do you require a reasoned statement?

peterleinchen 2014-12-09 15:34

:) :D :)
maemo-community mailing list (make sure you have registered first) is a must for official announcement.
There you do not need any "prosa", but later on TMO/wiki page we would like a short introduction ... ;)

--
so now we have
HtheB
reinob
as candidates, right?

reinob 2014-12-09 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1451255)
maemo-community mailing list (make sure you have registered first) is a must for official announcement.
There you do not need any "prosa", but later on TMO/wiki page we would like a short introduction ... ;)

Message sent to the list!

I'd rather not touch the Wiki (have no experience with it). Feel free to copy/paste wherever appropriate. If you need a photo let me know.

reinob 2014-12-09 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1451255)

--
so now we have
HtheB
reinob
as candidates, right?

What about pichlo? As I understand his message above, he accepts the nomination. Does he need to send an e-mail as well?

Add. just confirmed via IRC (which I slowly find it to be quite cool) that pichlo, and any other nominated members must confirm per e-mail if they wish to candidate.

pichlo 2014-12-09 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinob (Post 1451340)
What about pichlo?

Yes, if people are happy with my candidacy.

HtheB 2014-12-10 00:32

I'm happily accepting the nomination for the council election :)

juiceme 2014-12-10 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1451398)

Very happy, thanks. :)

juiceme 2014-12-10 05:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1451401)
I'm happily accepting the nomination for the council election :)

Thank you :)

reinob 2014-12-10 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1451398)

I'd be very happy!

reinob 2014-12-10 09:51

While I'm at it, and being fully aware of, but choosing not to heed, pichlo's wise advice about not nominating before asking, I hereby wish to nominate SULU and WICKET as well.

I do hope they won't be offended by the unasked nomination and I do hope as well that they will accept the nomination and candiate.

Private PM are being sent in parallel to this posting (how cool is that)

Add.: @sulu has kindly declined.

peterleinchen 2014-12-10 14:16

I keep pichlo's advice and PMed another valuable antarctica member. ;)

BTW:
are all those members in the list aware that they are on the list?
If yes, please give a short: No, thanks. Or even better: Yes, please.

Or do we need to PM them?