maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   [REQUEST! Please notice] MALO Port for Meego (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94371)

Nijihana 2014-12-27 17:38

[REQUEST! Please notice] MALO Port for Meego

So, see, mighty users and developers of this amazing OS, would it be possible to port MyAnimeListOnline? ;-;
Here it is:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lopro.activity

I hope it's not just me who wants this ported ;----;
-drools for this app to be on meego-

It would be really great if I get a response as soon as possible.

- Nijihana

Nijihana 2014-12-28 03:16

Re: [REQUEST! Please notice] MALO Port for Meego

Is there no one interested?..

Copernicus 2014-12-28 03:46

I don't think it would be possible to port the MALO app itself; at least, as it is a closed-source app, you'd need to get into contact with the app's author and ask him to make the port.

However, the MyAnimeList.net API looks fairly easy to work with, and I've had some recent experience with connecting to website APIs. I could take a shot at throwing something together...

Before I get your hopes up, though, let me state two caveats: one, I run kind of hot and cold as to how much time I can devote to development work. :) (I've got several apps that really need some more work already.) So I have no idea how long it would take. Two, I don't have a Meego device, and I've never written a Meego app before. I can do Maemo apps, so I figure my best bet would be to whip up an app for Maemo and then figure out how to convert it...

Anyway, I'll take a look. :)

CepiPerez 2014-12-28 04:17

Looks like it's really easy to do. But what for?
Search anime and mark movies/episodes as watched? Anything else?
I can do this in a few hours if there's some more people interested.

Nijihana 2014-12-28 04:18

I can do tests for you if you wish.
-le excited-
Thank you for very much for responding! I'm looking forward to it~

- Nijihana~

Nijihana 2014-12-28 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by CepiPerez (Post 1454123)
Search anime and mark movies/episodes as watched? Anything else?
I can do this in a few hours if there's some more people interested.

Hallo, another kind sire!
Search, rate, put anime AND/OR manga on your list.Mark the ones you've watched/put in hold/currently watching or reading/plan to watch or read, things like that.
Etcetera~

-Nijihana~

Nijihana 2014-12-28 04:24

and a pretty interface, if possibruu~

Copernicus 2014-12-28 04:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by CepiPerez (Post 1454123)

What for? Anime, of course, in any way you can get it! :)

Actually, I'm not a user of MyAnimeList.net myself, so I'm not sure what all services they provide. (I mostly use ANN for looking up anime info.) But yeah, the API looks dead simple for what it provides...

Copernicus 2014-12-28 04:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nijihana (Post 1454126)
and a pretty interface, if possibruu~

Ah, now that's a trick that is probably beyond my abilities. :) Code I am good at; art, not so much...

Nijihana 2014-12-28 04:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1454127)
What for? Anime, of course, in any way you can get it! :)

Actually, I'm not a user of MyAnimeList.net myself, so I'm not sure what all services they provide. (I mostly use ANN for looking up anime info.) But yeah, the API looks dead simple for what it provides...

Copernicus-dono, it's the best out there, you should try it cause it's free anyway.

Copernicus 2014-12-28 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nijihana (Post 1454129)
Copernicus-dono, it's the best out there, you should try it cause it's free anyway.

I'll give it a look. :)

Roth 2014-12-28 05:04

hmm interesting, but I'm more the type who would to solve multiple problems with a single solution. My suggestion would be a (unofficial) Crunchyroll app for MeeGo/Maemo. Yes, I'm talking about the popular anime streaming site. They made apps for multiple platforms including iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Roku, Xbox, PlayStation, and for the first time just a couple days ago on Christmas Day, a Nintendo system, the Wii U!
Basically, it's like Netflix, with watchlist, etc. and focused around anime, manga, and Asian drama/movies. I also think this would be too big of a port for our community though as it is also closed source. I thought I'd put the idea out there on the table.

Nijihana 2014-12-28 05:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roth (Post 1454132)
hmm interesting, but I'm more the type who would to solve multiple problems with a single solution. My suggestion would be a (unofficial) Crunchyroll app for MeeGo/Maemo. Yes, I'm talking about the popular anime streaming site. They made apps for multiple platforms including iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Roku, Xbox, PlayStation, and for the first time just a couple days ago on Christmas Day, a Nintendo system, the Wii U!
Basically, it's like Netflix, with watchlist, etc. and focused around anime, manga, and Asian drama/movies. I also think this would be too big of a port for our community though as it is also closed source. I thought I'd put the idea out there on the table.

b-but, crunchyroll is not free, atleast not anymore...

Copernicus 2014-12-28 05:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roth (Post 1454132)
hmm interesting, but I'm more the type who would to solve multiple problems with a single solution. My suggestion would be a (unofficial) Crunchyroll app for MeeGo/Maemo.

Ah, well, I can't see Crunchyroll ever offering a public API for actually streaming their shows; that would kind of contradict the idea of making folks pay to watch. :) And yeah, I don't think the current MeeGo/Maemo userbase is big enough to entice them to release an app themselves.

BTW, after some investigation, it looks like the "official" MAL API is kind of incomplete. I'm not sure just what the MAL apps are using to get their data; maybe scraping actual web pages for info? :( (I'll do a bit more investigating...)

Nijihana 2014-12-28 06:34

GL Copernicus!

I hope this project push through ;--; i really need this, i hope others see this and have it pushed through ~~

Mir57 2014-12-28 08:16

Hi, i would also love this app, but rather on Maemo. I could be a beta tester, because I can develope only Easy apps written in Python...

What about writing this app using Qt 4.7.3 Framework and C++ language, this would make it possible to port to Symbian S60v5 and Higher, Maemo 5 (maybe 4, I'm not sure about latest supported version) and MeeGo easily.

Copernicus 2014-12-28 12:10

Well, drat. These MAL app guys really are just scraping the actual web page HTML for data. Not only should that make the MAL folks unhappy (as it bypasses all the advertising they're using to support themselves), it's a technique which will break every time they decide to update their web page structure. Which, for most websites, is a fairly frequent process...

Hmm. The MyAnimeList.net website appears to be compatible with the N900's browser (Microb); maybe it'd be better just to use the official website directly?

(ANN does seem to have a more usable official API; maybe I can throw something together using their system...)

Nijihana 2014-12-28 14:40

Hmmmm... How about using Hummingbird?
www.hummingbird.me

Nijihana 2014-12-28 14:43

Well, it's...not just to check le news about anime, but to keep track of the list you have, plus it's not just the anime, but also the manga.
E.g.
Anime/Manga
Plan to watch list/plan to read list
Currently watching/Currently reading
On hold
Watched/Read

Things like that, and you get to rate every anime/manga, and possibly make a review, all directly on mobile.

Copernicus 2014-12-28 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nijihana (Post 1454158)
Hmmmm... How about using Hummingbird?
www.hummingbird.me

Hmm. They do seem to have a more usable API, but they're going through this "MashApe" middleware to implement it. I've never used them before; I'll have to see what it involves.

Quote:

Well, it's...not just to check le news about anime, but to keep track of the list you have, plus it's not just the anime, but also the manga.
E.g.
Anime/Manga
Plan to watch list/plan to read list
Currently watching/Currently reading
On hold
Watched/Read

Things like that, and you get to rate every anime/manga, and possibly make a review, all directly on mobile.
Well, the more you are interacting with a group's service, the more you really need to get their approval and support. (It takes money to host a server and to pay for bandwidth, after all.) The source code I'm seeing for several of the MAL apps has a "configurable whitelisted user agent", which sounds to me like they've not been accessing the service in an authorized manner...

In any case, it'd be pretty easy to manage things like watched/plan to watch lists locally (if you really are in to that sort of thing). :) You could even combine anime data from multiple sources into a single app. It's just the social aspect that really needs a centralized server...

irulestar 2014-12-28 16:43

Woooo... I really really really interested...
But I dont know anithing about porting :(
Can some one port thiz with dark theme :(

Nijihana 2014-12-28 17:23

Copernicus, what do we do nao :c?

CepiPerez 2014-12-28 18:08

I'm playing with api right now.
Is it me or it doesn't let you get your anime list?
How can I edit an item if I doesn't have it?

Copernicus 2014-12-28 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nijihana (Post 1454183)
Copernicus, what do we do nao :c?

Hmm. Perhaps it would be better to step back a bit and consider what we are looking for. There are many resources available on the net, and many types of apps have already been written. So, I think we should ask, just what features are we looking for?

Simply retrieving summaries of anime from ANN or Wikipedia looks like a fairly trivial task. (And, in fact, it appears that this is exactly what MAL does for their anime summaries...) Other features would require a bit more effort.

A few items to consider:
  • Streaming Anime: the care and management of copyrighted material really requires close cooperation with the copyright holders; I kind of doubt we'd be able to generate enough revenue to get their attention. At least, I'm not personally knowledgeable enough to know what it would take to get a streaming service like Crunchyroll set up on a new platform. (And I can imagine it would take a lot more work than I can currently devote to such a project...)
  • Social Interaction: Sites like MAL are designed to get fans to chat with one another about their favorite subject. It isn't hard at all to create an app to access such a site, assuming that the site owner is agreeable to doing so. The downside, in my opinion, is that you are now limiting yourself to the whims of that one particular site. However, if it is a service that you crave, it isn't impossible to create an app dedicated to a particular site (as shown by the hoard of MAL apps available). I suppose it would also be possible to implement social interaction in a broader manner, perhaps through some Facebook / Twitter / etc. mechanism.
  • List Management: If you're just interested in managing your own personal lists or rankings of anime, that's quite easy. You really don't need to rely on someone else's server for that kind of thing.

I guess what I'm getting at here is, the more directly that an app is tied to a particular online service, the harder it will likely be to get the app up and running. A feature set that is more independent will be much easier to implement...

Copernicus 2014-12-28 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by CepiPerez (Post 1454189)

Yeah, exactly. The official MAL API is incomplete. I've been looking at the source for a couple of other MAL apps, and it looks like they've taken to scraping the actual HTML pages to retrieve their data. :(

CepiPerez 2014-12-28 18:14

Oh it's a ****. Ok I'll check what can I do

Nijihana 2014-12-29 04:08

This! D:
www.hummingbird.me ~

Nijihana 2014-12-29 04:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1454190)
Hmm. Perhaps it would be better to step back a bit and consider what we are looking for. There are many resources available on the net, and many types of apps have already been written. So, I think we should ask, just what features are we looking for?

Simply retrieving summaries of anime from ANN or Wikipedia looks like a fairly trivial task. (And, in fact, it appears that this is exactly what MAL does for their anime summaries...) Other features would require a bit more effort.

A few items to consider:
  • Streaming Anime: the care and management of copyrighted material really requires close cooperation with the copyright holders; I kind of doubt we'd be able to generate enough revenue to get their attention. At least, I'm not personally knowledgeable enough to know what it would take to get a streaming service like Crunchyroll set up on a new platform. (And I can imagine it would take a lot more work than I can currently devote to such a project...)
  • Social Interaction: Sites like MAL are designed to get fans to chat with one another about their favorite subject. It isn't hard at all to create an app to access such a site, assuming that the site owner is agreeable to doing so. The downside, in my opinion, is that you are now limiting yourself to the whims of that one particular site. However, if it is a service that you crave, it isn't impossible to create an app dedicated to a particular site (as shown by the hoard of MAL apps available). I suppose it would also be possible to implement social interaction in a broader manner, perhaps through some Facebook / Twitter / etc. mechanism.
  • List Management: If you're just interested in managing your own personal lists or rankings of anime, that's quite easy. You really don't need to rely on someone else's server for that kind of thing.

I guess what I'm getting at here is, the more directly that an app is tied to a particular online service, the harder it will likely be to get the app up and running. A feature set that is more independent will be much easier to implement...

How to say this
it's not just about the list, i think. ~
:v i'm lost for words, but i want the capabilities of hummingbird/MyAnimeList in an app, on meego.

Nijihana 2014-12-29 04:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by CepiPerez (Post 1454189)

I think you're supposed to have it ~ i think.

breakpointz 2014-12-29 07:12

As i'm a big anime fan i would be extremely interested in this too.Though you can watch from the browser pretty well it's impossible to track down the watched episodes.An app would be just WoW

)0@1:0
Thanks for even taking this in consideration :)

nokiabot 2014-12-29 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakpointz (Post 1454247)
As i'm a big anime fan i would be extremely interested in this too.Though you can watch from the browser pretty well it's impossible to track down the watched episodes.An app would be just WoW
)0@1:0
Thanks for even taking this in consideration :)

i am a big fan too and exactly same issue of tracking wached episodes :p
btw i was wondering how the app would work @ copernicious ?
i mean it would be integrated to said services or else how it ll know what i watched ?
basicaly my requirements are havin a logbook kind of app which pulls data of anime lists and i can flag and rate them also support for custom entries and social and streaming aspects are more an afterthought as they work well mostly.
thanx

CepiPerez 2014-12-29 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nijihana (Post 1454237)

Oh, this is what I call a good page with a good api. I'll make an app for this.

nokiabot 2014-12-29 13:00

No maemo5 then :(

breakpointz 2014-12-29 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by CepiPerez (Post 1454263)

And this guys is what a superhero looks like.
Thank you soooo much.

Nijihana 2014-12-29 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by CepiPerez (Post 1454263)

amazing~!
-make it pretty too if possibru please~-

CepiPerez 2014-12-29 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nijihana (Post 1454282)
amazing~!
-make it pretty too if possibru please~-

http://k31.kn3.net/6/C/B/3/A/0/227.png
http://k33.kn3.net/7/8/2/1/6/5/6A9.png

irulestar 2014-12-29 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by CepiPerez (Post 1454296)

We are waiting sir :D

Nijihana 2014-12-29 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by CepiPerez (Post 1454296)

-dies over 9000 times-
it's pretttttyyyyy~

Copernicus 2014-12-29 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1454250)
btw i was wondering how the app would work @ copernicious ?
i mean it would be integrated to said services or else how it ll know what i watched ?
basicaly my requirements are havin a logbook kind of app which pulls data of anime lists and i can flag and rate them also support for custom entries and social and streaming aspects are more an afterthought as they work well mostly.

Well, I've been more interested in apps that actually perform as much of their work as possible locally; I don't really see a lot of value in an app that just acts as a front-end to a website. (This was the original drive for me to create Pierogi; I couldn't see any reason why you wouldn't want to just include all the keyset data with the app itself.}

I'm thinking that, in terms of raw data, the full catalog of Anime titles is fairly static. I've certainly gone over the list at ANN often enough to know it almost forwards and backwards now. I could see maybe constructing an XML file (or, if necessary, an SQLite db) with some basic info on the existing list of Anime titles, and maybe updating it quarterly to include new releases each season. Perhaps downloading a thumbnail picture on demand from one of the websites, when the user wants one; I'm not sure how much space would be required to host a full set of thumbnails locally...

Anyway, it wouldn't be hard to maintain local metadata, such as lists, rankings, and reviews for each anime. Also, I've gotten some experence pulling down RSS data lately, so it'd be easy enough to collect Anime news from all the major websites. I'm not entirely sure how much effort it would take to incorporate some of the more social aspects of websites like MAL; however, I really like the concept of an app being website-agnostic, and even more, being at least somewhat usable whether or not you have internet access. At the very least, I think a basic database of anime titles should be small enough to integrate directly into an app.

I really haven't thought this through all that much yet. :) I'll try to play around with this concept over the next couple of days....

CepiPerez 2014-12-30 03:51

1 Attachment(s)
Just a test version.
Need to add edit option for library items, but it's a start.