maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Jolla at MWC 2015 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94679)

NokiaFanatic 2015-03-02 11:41

Jolla at MWC 2015

http://www.gsmarena.com/expect_sailf...news-11387.php
Quote:

Expect Sailfish OS 2.0 on more phones as Jolla allows licensing
02 March, 2015 | Comments (9) | Post your comment
Tags: Jolla, MWC 2015
Jolla is ready to start licensing the Sailfish OS 2.0 to device manufacturers. The company says its mobile operating system is perfect for those who want to differentiate themselves from the Android and Windows Phone pack.

Another major announcement from the Finns is their cooperation with Intel to make Sailfish OS 2.0 come out with support for the latest Atom x3 processor. Jolla says the latest version of the Sailfish OS will be ready some time in the second half of the year.
In it, users will find enhanced user interface, although we don't know if it will go through a major redesign or changes will be small and incremental. In addition, expect improved Android application capabilities, new privacy and personalization features, new notifications and events view as well as integration for mobile commerce.
Jolla has sent an industry invitation to OEMs, ODMs, leading Internet and eCommernce players to join the Sailfish OS alliance. Whether it will succeed to attract other manufacturers to use its mobile OS in actual product, though is a completely another matter.
The first product to launch with Sailfish OS 2.0 is the Jolla Tablet, which was successfully crowdfunded and should go out to customers hands soon.
Which manufacturers do you hope will give Sailfish OS 2.0 a try?
Looks like Jolla are looking for HW partners.

NokiaFanatic 2015-03-02 11:45

Re: Jolla at MWC 2015

https://cdn.jolla.com/wp-content/upl...CURE_FINAL.PDF
Quote:

Barcelona, Spain – March 2, 2015 – Jolla, the mobile company from Finland,
today revealed plans for ‘Sailfish Secure’, a secure mobile phone platform
based on Sailfish OS. Jolla partners with SSH Communications Security to
develop the secure mobile phone solution ideal for government officials,
corporations, and consumers.
With Sailfish Secure, the two Finnish companies, Jolla Ltd. and the market leader in security
solutions, SSH Communications Security, are aiming to answer the increased demand in privacy in
mobile communications. The solution will be based on a security-hardened version of the open and
independent mobile operating system Sailfish OS, and SSH’s communication encryption and key
management platform.
The Sailfish Secure project is based on the premise that currently there are no European
alternatives for secure mobile communication to Android or other US based operating systems.
This gives Jolla and Sailfish OS a unique position to enter the market and create an alternative
solution to Android.
Customers for the solution can include government officials, and corporations needing a secure
mobile solution. The aim is also to make the solution affordable for consumers.
Antti Saarnio, Co-founder and Chairman of the Board of Jolla comments: “It is evident that the
world needs a secure, transparent and open mobile solution alternative, which is not controlled by
any country or major industry player. Together with leading security expert SSH Communications
Security we are aiming to create an open European mobile solution running on Sailfish OS. We are
also inviting other industry players to join the initiative.”
Tatu Ylönen, Founder and Chief Innovation Officer of SSH Communications Security comments:
“Currently there is a rapidly growing customer need for secure mobile communication around the
world and Jolla is in an ideal position to disrupt the market with the unique and independent
Sailfish OS. We are excited to partner with Jolla in this remarkable initiative, aiming to develop a
truly secure mobile solution with broad applicability.”

brunelli 2015-03-02 11:52

Three hands-on so far:

Jolla Tablet hands-on - GSM Arena

Jolla Tablet ja Sailfish OS @ MWC 2015 - Mobiili.fi

MWC 2015: Jolla Tablet Sailfish - PDAclub.pl

Quote:

Swipe anywhere from the bottom edge and it opens the application grid.
So now the events screen is only available from the homescreen?

Morpog 2015-03-02 12:11

Looks a bit like swipe ui, YEAH :D

brunelli 2015-03-02 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1462583)

I wonder how much of the new things will be on phones... Is it dreaming to expect everything?

---------

One more video, this one in Italian:

Jolla Tablet: eccolo dal vivo a Barcellona - TVtech

Jedibeeftrix 2015-03-02 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunelli (Post 1462580)

"true-multitasking OS"

Does that mean the recent changes to freeze app-status has been reversed?
And what has permitted this, the extra GB of device memory?

Casanunda 2015-03-02 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunelli (Post 1462585)
I wonder how much of the new things will be on phones... Is it dreaming to expect everything?

I just hope they don't cripple the active covers to just one swipe-able action - so far I have not seen any picture or video showing an active cover with two actions on the tablet...

Jedibeeftrix 2015-03-02 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunelli (Post 1462585)

if jolla have any sense they will do everything in their power not to fork sailfish the way google did with honeycomb.

nodevel 2015-03-02 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix (Post 1462587)
"true-multitasking OS"

Does that mean the recent changes to freeze app-status has been reversed?
And what has permitted this, the extra GB of device memory?

Have you used U11?
I haven't experienced single 'app freeze' (memory management kicking in) since U11 (unlike U9 and U10).

No additional GB needed, just the fine tuning.

brunelli 2015-03-02 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casanunda (Post 1462588)
I just hope they don't cripple the active covers to just one swipe-able action - so far I have not seen any picture or video showing an active cover with two actions on the tablet...

The picture Marc tweeted yesterday shows two actions on the Music app, but it could be only they forgetting to cut one of them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_CQXJ5XIAAFJML.jpg

------

Two more:

Trên tay Jolla Tablet - Tinh tế

Jolla Tablet (ITA) - Notebook Italia

max_power 2015-03-02 14:02

Will Sailfish Secure be a fork of Sailfish OS? I hope not and Jolla will not start fragmenting their own brand.

aegis 2015-03-02 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1462583)

If they made it configurable so that you could replace the 'partner screen' with the app grid and set the order of the three panels we'd almost be back to where the N9 was. :D

llelectronics 2015-03-02 14:32

Heise has also a shirt little demo video :http://m.heise.de/newsticker/meldung...0-2562600.html

Dave999 2015-03-02 15:37

i think it looks pretty nice. not sure how i like long swips. could be too long and too slow on a tablet. buttons might be faster but we will see. swips on nexus 7 is pretty slow (becouse of size) compared to buttons.

true nultitasking requrires multi windows so that the device isnt slowuing down the user. split screen fearure might be a nice first step to multiwindows. looking forward to that feature.

Jedibeeftrix 2015-03-02 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1462590)
Have you used U11?
I haven't experienced single 'app freeze' (memory management kicking in) since U11 (unlike U9 and U10).

No additional GB needed, just the fine tuning.

maybe i used confusing terminology.

i thought they achieved this fix by essentially making apps not-live (i.e. frozen status), when they weren't full screened.

which is to say that Sailfish no longer had 'true' multi-tasking...

since they are now boasting about "true multi-tasking" for the tablet at MWC15, i wondered if the extra GB of tablet memory had allowed them to make apps live again whether full screened or otherwise?

Jedibeeftrix 2015-03-02 15:45

i also note specific reference to the Intel X3 line (i.e. bay trail + mali GPU).

if so, i hope this includes the high-end X3 with four cores, lte, and the 7 series mali GPU.

i also wonder what the omission of X5 and X7 says about the new cherry trail SKU's with the intel Gen8 GPU...

nodevel 2015-03-02 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix (Post 1462632)
maybe i used confusing terminology.

i thought they achieved this fix by essentially making apps not-live (i.e. frozen status), when they weren't full screened.

which is to say that Sailfish no longer had 'true' multi-tasking...

since they are now boasting about "true multi-tasking" for the tablet at MWC15, i wondered if the extra GB of tablet memory had allowed them to make apps live again whether full screened or otherwise?

Not sure where you got that information from. Apps are not freezing (not-live/frozen status) when not fullscreened nor there has ever been any plan to do so (AFAIK).

Source?

m4r0v3r 2015-03-02 15:55

the important thing for me is that i can access the events view from anywhere

nodevel 2015-03-02 16:11

This is something someone might have missed:

Jolla phone running SailfishOS 2.0

It is just a few seconds in the end of a video for a Czech tech site, but you can clearly see the new interface.

Highlights:
  • new swipe animation
  • status bar always visible on the home screen
  • app launcher accessible by swiping from the bottom (see the white indicator at the bottom of the screen)

EDIT: Second video showing v2.0 on the phone here.

djbengan 2015-03-02 16:13

man i wanna run the tablet interface on my phone with tokbd :(

eekkelund 2015-03-02 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1462643)
This is something someone might have missed:

Jolla phone running SailfishOS 2.0

It is just a few seconds in the end of a video for a Czech tech site, but you can clearly see the new interface.

Highlights:
  • new swipe animation
  • status bar always visible on the home screen
  • app launcher accessible by swiping from the bottom (see the white indicator at the bottom of the screen)

Thanks, accidently same link twice? :)

Morpog 2015-03-02 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1462643)

It's the same video?

nodevel 2015-03-02 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1462650)
It's the same video?

Sorry, now it is fixed. Klipper failed me ;)

The second video is here: http://youtu.be/x2bUlhfU708?t=1m6s

NokiaFanatic 2015-03-02 16:46

The new UI looks a slight improvement.

Jedibeeftrix 2015-03-02 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1462637)
Not sure where you got that information from. Apps are not freezing (not-live/frozen status) when not fullscreened nor there has ever been any plan to do so (AFAIK).

Source?

maybe i'm wrong.

i got this impression from seeing a discussion here about the release notes for a beta of the 11 patch, and the discussion seemed to focus on how application behaviour had been changed (for the worse) in order to get around a problem with too many apps using up all the memory and creating device stutter.

[edit] perhaps related to this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94358 [/edit]

bluefoot 2015-03-02 16:54

Glad they / Jaakko climbed down on the no status bar. Still think it should be at least an option for persistence even when apps are in full screen. I'm sure someone will manage to claim that this is now the end of the world, most here having defended the status quo to the hilt.

Still no hardware partners (only Intel slush funds) is quite worrying ... and the recycled announcement from last year about Sailfish being open for business for partners makes it seem a bit like Groundhog Day (Dillon = Bill Murray).

Still no announcement about payments and paid apps .. that's the most immediately concerning thing for me.

Macros 2015-03-02 17:18

Golem has a good article: (German)
http://www.golem.de/news/jolla-table...03-112693.html

A video is embedded on the first page, showing mainly what the other articles showed too. Although the comments are from somebody who clearly knows Sailfish.

They also mention that the partner screen can be configured and even disabled. The author likes the gesture changes as they allow to use the tablet easily while holding it with both hands at the bottom.

NokiaFanatic 2015-03-02 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefoot (Post 1462657)
Glad they / Jaakko climbed down on the no status bar. Still think it should be at least an option for persistence even when apps are in full screen. I'm sure someone will manage to claim that this is now the end of the world, most here having defended the status quo to the hilt.

Still no hardware partners (only Intel slush funds) is quite worrying ... and the recycled announcement from last year about Sailfish being open for business for partners makes it seem a bit like Groundhog Day (Dillon = Bill Murray).

Still no announcement about payments and paid apps .. that's the most immediately concerning thing for me.

Same for me. I live in an area with patchy 3G - so always like to know my current network status.

szopin 2015-03-02 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1462651)
Sorry, now it is fixed. Klipper failed me ;)

The second video is here: http://youtu.be/x2bUlhfU708?t=1m6s

2:18 of this video and the guy holding the tablet gets to the app drawer sliding from 1/3 of the screen, soooo... which is it? Swipe from bottom, normal swipe up, or is the swipe from bottom only in landscape?

Morpog 2015-03-02 18:29

Longer video of SFOS 2.0 on Jolla Phone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4QkGnmER4&hd=1

mariusmssj 2015-03-02 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1462681)
Longer video of SFOS 2.0 on Jolla Phone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4QkGnmER4&hd=1

Oh wow, it almost like looking at N9 UI and I love it!!!
Their making quite a few changes and I think it's great.

NoGeist 2015-03-02 18:51

Looking good!

However, now there is an ambience switcher/locking when swiping down. I am a bit mixed about it, because you can't close the open app swiping down, unless there is an option in the settings. Although, it will be easier to lock the phone in an app on 2.0, when not using hardware buttons.

mariusmssj 2015-03-02 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGeist (Post 1462690)
Looking good!

However, now there is an ambience switcher/locking when swiping down. I am a bit mixed about it, because you can't close the open app swiping down, unless there is an option in the settings. Although, it will be easier to lock the phone in an app on 2.0, when not using hardware buttons.

you can still close apps I think from the top but if your in the home screen it shown the profile menu witch I have always missed from Nokia days.

mrsellout 2015-03-02 19:10

Great news, worth highlighting:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1462576)
... as well as integration for mobile commerce....

aegis 2015-03-02 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsellout (Post 1462695)

I'll believe it when I see it but unless they've added a store, PayPal/Stripe etc, NFC and a secure element they're significantly behind the curve.

I also couldn't run my bank's Android app on my Jolla as it was missing something on the Android side and the app kept claiming I'd rooted my phone. Banks don't seem to like rooted devices. :D

mrsellout 2015-03-02 20:13

This post might help you:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=87
I have a similar issue with another app, unfortunately it has a more sophisticated method of determining root status, and my efforts to circumvent it have failed thus far :(.

bluefoot 2015-03-02 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsellout (Post 1462695)

I think that's for potential partners to integrate their own stuff, not hinting at a solution of their own ... which is still MIA. Just a basic proof of concept to show they can modify UI elements, I assume.

ZogG 2015-03-02 21:00

So they made "unique" UI and after all they go back to N9 style? Why from begging when people asked to keep UI parts/ideas from N9, they didn't listen? I just wonder why companies try to reinvent the wheel and make UI different, instead of improving existing, proved by time UX?
From video it's lagging, not always responsive and far from one hand usage
P.S. As well i like fanboys telling that "unlike" is better before and now happy for N9 ideas. Seems they are happy with anything they are throw at them

nodevel 2015-03-02 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZogG (Post 1462710)
So they made "unique" UI and after all they go back to N9 style? Why from begging when people asked to keep UI parts/ideas from N9, they didn't listen?

This is such a great logic. In the first sentence, you say that they did what you claim customers wanted and in the second one you claim they did not do it. If they implemented it, they listened, didn't they? :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZogG (Post 1462710)
I just wonder why companies try to reinvent the wheel and make UI different, instead of improving existing, proved by time UX?
From video it's lagging, not always responsive and far from one hand usage
P.S. As well i like fanboys telling that "unlike" is better before and now happy for N9 ideas. Seems they are happy with anything they are throw at them

I for one don't like the new UI. I have used the N9 and after one year of using Jolla, I find Sailfish' UI far superior. This feels like a step back and I will be thinking twice before upgrading the phone to 2.0.

I watched almost all videos and haven't noticed single lag (I was expecting lots of lagging with this state of hardware adaptation, though), but that probably doesn't mean anything - I'll stop feeding now :)

JulmaHerra 2015-03-02 21:37

Well, at least notification screen is usable in 2.0. Currently it's more or less useless. Having navigation between app-screen and notifications sideways is definitely an improvement.

Another thing people overlook is that new way of accessing grid (bottom swipe) allows having more than 9 open apps at the same time because scrolling app-screen can be done (at least in principle) without hindering grid access.

Bad thing is that lock screen doesn't seem to allow quick menus. Shouldn't be an impossible thing to implement, but maybe they want to stick with cleaner looking lock screen.