maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   I found a n950 silver proto in a recycling center (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95511)

velkkis 2015-05-18 09:40

I found a n950 silver proto in a recycling center

I've had this for some time in my cupboard and had no idea it was never released. I knew it was a prototype but only yesterday I googled what it was and I was really surprised to find out that it was never released and that wikipedia said "some rare ones come in a silver case; although they are marked "NOT FOR SALE", some were sold on eBay for more than €2,000." Mine isn't that valuable I'm sure, as it has suffered a bit (read below). I'm in a really bad place financially right now and I could really use some money. :D So I might sell it if anyone is interested in it.

The screws holding the battery case are missing, and so is the original battery and I'm testing it with a slightly too long battery from some lumia phone. Original screen protector is still on tho, and so is the camera lense protector plastic. There is 2 cut holes in the battery case for some reason, and some rubbery substance in one of them.
http://puu.sh/hRAyg/98f1c05dab.jpg
http://puu.sh/hRASP/3f7ede7bce.jpg
http://puu.sh/hRB4p/83cad44c67.jpg

juiceme 2015-05-18 09:48

Re: I found a n950 silver proto in a recycling center

Some collector might shell out 2k for that but I believe it'd need to be in pristine condition :p

Generally nice device but I have understood that not very practical, having some known weaknesses as a device-for-everyday-use.

velkkis 2015-05-18 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1470653)
Some collector might shell out 2k for that but I believe it'd need to be in pristine condition :p

Generally nice device but I have understood that not very practical, having some known weaknesses as a device-for-everyday-use.

I kind of like it, I love phones with a QWERTY keyboard and touch screen ^^

NokiaFanatic 2015-05-18 10:03

I don't know what is more stupid, the fact that an idiot did that to a N950, or the fact that he gave the phone away for free to a recycling center.

As a matter of interested - what is a new, boxed N950 worth these days?

chemist 2015-05-18 10:12

Will be about ~2k€ if a collector is betting

juiceme 2015-05-18 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1470655)
I don't know what is more stupid, the fact that an idiot did that to a N950, or the fact that he gave the phone away for free to a recycling center.

Weel it is a prototype, so it might have had something connected to it that required gnawing holes in the device.

velkkis 2015-05-18 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1470665)
Weel it is a prototype, so it might have had something connected to it that required gnawing holes in the device.

I was thinking the same. Another proto of some older Nokia phone I have has a wire for a external antenna sticking out of it.

velkkis 2015-05-19 16:08

Bought a battery for this thing today :)

endsormeans 2015-05-19 16:24

Hahaaha...
I think it's Fabulous...
it's like finding a Rembrandt at a garage sale!
Good for you man...
I dunno...though... starving in a ditch and keeping it would pass through my mind if it were me...
How often does a n950 ...let alone proto drop into anyone's lap by sheer fluky chance?
It's like the odds of farting, burping, hiccuping, sneezing, coughing, while getting struck by lightning, a crashing helicopter, falling space-station debris, a meteor, while driving in your Pinto (exploding gas-tank) which happens to be just picked up by a tornado after it had just broke down on the railway tracks with the amtrack (:D) rolling out of control bearing down on you because the engineer just had a stroke...all while trying to get to the lotto center to pick up your winnings for 50 million

Boxeri 2015-05-19 16:37

Good for you, lucky man!

velkkis 2015-05-19 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1470890)
Hahaaha...
I think it's Fabulous...
it's like finding a Rembrandt at a garage sale!
Good for you man...
I dunno...though... starving in a ditch and keeping it would pass through my mind if it were me...
How often does a n950 ...let alone proto drop into anyone's lap by sheer fluky chance?
It's like the odds of farting, burping, hiccuping, sneezing, coughing, while getting struck by lightning, a crashing helicopter, falling space-station debris, a meteor, while driving in your Pinto (exploding gas-tank) which happens to be just picked up by a tornado after it had just broke down on the railway tracks with the amtrack (:D) rolling out of control bearing down on you because the engineer just had a stroke...all while trying to get to the lotto center to pick up your winnings for 50 million

Yes, I think I'm gonna keep it, at least for now ^^ It's so cool phone.

Kangal 2015-05-19 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by velkkis (Post 1470651)

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/5f/5fe3...41c1559c9d.jpg

velkkis 2015-05-20 12:47

I don't know how to install stuff on this. There is no store, and there was a terminal but I lost it when I cleared the device from the options because the camera wasn't working initially. (It started working after that). Developer mode from the options tries to fetch some things to install from somewhere but doesn't find them.

aspergerguy 2015-05-20 13:38

Here you are: https://openrepos.net/content/ancelad/n9-repomirror

Use Warehouse app: https://openrepos.net/content/basil/warehouse

velkkis 2015-05-20 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspergerguy (Post 1471004)

no idea what the first one is, and when I tried to install warehouse by sending it from laptop to phone with bluetooth and it started to install it but it failed, saying something about depositories.

Boxeri 2015-05-20 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by velkkis (Post 1471013)
no idea what the first one is, and when I tried to install warehouse by sending it from laptop to phone with bluetooth and it started to install it but it failed, saying something about depositories.

In the warehouse for harmattan thread Basil mentioned that there is currently some problem with warehouse installing. He should fix it soon. Look for more information from the warehouse thread.

The first one was Ancelads repo mirror for now defunct Nokia official repos. If you installed it you should now be able to install developer mode and get terminal

velkkis 2015-05-20 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxeri (Post 1471019)
The first one was Ancelads repo mirror for now defunct Nokia official repos. If you installed it you should now be able to install developer mode and get terminal

I thought so, and seemingly that installed allright but it didn't make any difference. It does show up in the installed applications but still when I do the development mode, it gives the same error of being unable to find something.

aspergerguy 2015-05-20 20:34

Did you try rebooting the device after installing ancelad's repo mirror?

velkkis 2015-05-21 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspergerguy (Post 1471040)
Did you try rebooting the device after installing ancelad's repo mirror?

Now when you mention that, I think I didn't. I'll try that now.

EDIT: Did not work, says unable to trace installation package dependencies :/

Mau97 2015-05-21 21:52

You need to add the Repos to .etc folder.
After that you can finally install the Developer Mode ;)

velkkis 2015-05-22 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mau97 (Post 1471200)

Thanks, I'll try that :)

velkkis 2015-05-23 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mau97 (Post 1471200)

I don't understand how and I was too embarrassed to say before. There is no .etc folder when I connect the phone to pc and it doesn't let me even make one. And even if it did I wouldn't know what to add there.

aspergerguy 2015-05-23 17:33

Just a thought, if you go to Settings > Applications > Installations - you have enabled "Allow installations from non-Store sources"?

velkkis 2015-05-23 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspergerguy (Post 1471345)
Just a thought, if you go to Settings > Applications > Installations - you have enabled "Allow installations from non-Store sources"?

I have :/ But thanks for a thought. :)

zxcvbnm3230 2015-05-23 18:46

@velkkis, try flashing your n950. After that Ancelad's repo mirror should help you with enabling dev mode. At least he says that he tested it that way on his n9.

Btw, before the flashing try to check for updates in Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> Updates -> *click the icon in the top-right corner* with installed repoMirror, and after that try enabling devMode again. If that fail, well, I think you can do nothing but flash your phone.

velkkis 2015-05-23 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 (Post 1471348)
@velkkis, try flashing your n950. After that Ancelad's repo mirror should help you with enabling dev mode. At least he says that he tested it that way on his n9.

Btw, before the flashing try to check for updates in Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> Updates -> *click the icon in the top-right corner* with installed repoMirror, and after that try enabling devMode again. If that fail, well, I think you can do nothing but flash your phone.

I have tried that update thing and it did not work. Flashing sounds scary, I installed earlier today flasher but I got too scared because I didn't know what files I should flash. I found some links to N950 firmware files but they always only downloaded like 10% and then stopped, and when I tried to open the downloaded zip files it showed main.bin but winrar complained of unexpected end of file so I didn't try to flash them as I assumed they didn't download completely and I would brick my phone with them.

velkkis 2015-05-24 06:51

Okay I got a pr 1.3 file. Does anyone know if it's safe to flash it on the proto?

velkkis 2015-05-24 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 (Post 1471348)

Flashed it and after that the n9repomirror started working and I got the developer mode to work too. Thank you and thanks to everyone else who helped me too.

aspergerguy 2015-05-24 13:08

Hope you now enjoy your find!

velkkis 2015-05-24 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspergerguy (Post 1471400)
Hope you now enjoy your find!

I do, thanks ^^

zxcvbnm3230 2015-05-24 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by velkkis (Post 1471380)
Flashed it and after that the n9repomirror started working and I got the developer mode to work too. Thank you and thanks to everyone else who helped me too.

Ancelad said that it could have been repos themselves, meaning that for n9 and for n950 they were different. He is on the business trip far from home and pc right now thus cannot help. But seems everything is ok now, and I'm glad that it is so) Enjoy the power of the dev mode)