maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Buy & Sell (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Turing Phone Dark Wyvern Glaedr (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99090)

wormdrummer 2017-03-09 23:31

Turing Phone Dark Wyvern Glaedr

Really cant believe the nasty comments sent by pm to me just for trying to sell a phone. Didnt realise how hated Turing is within the forum. I used to enjoy coming here (for the past 8 years ever since my n900) but wont be anymore. Good luck.

chemist 2017-03-10 00:07

Re: [WTS] Turing Phone Dark Wyvern Glaedr

Do I get the actual production device too? Isn't the first batch just to test, then you get a new one with the actual production hardware?

wormdrummer 2017-03-10 00:57

Sorry, I should have been more clear. This is just for this unit, not the production device, since Turing are no longer releasing the production device.
As confirmed by them on their official reddit support channel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/turing_tech...stepping_down/

gerbick 2017-03-10 01:09

I cannot say that I'm surprised by the news; but I am surprised that you're wanting to sell. Almost scared to see where you start the prices...

mosen 2017-03-10 08:08

Popcorn is ready.

Greendts 2017-03-10 09:15

Hey mate, I'm in Melbourne too, can the phone be used as a daily driver or is it buggy?

wormdrummer 2017-03-10 10:28

Yes, can be used as a daily driver, can't be updated to the latest sailfish release, but everything works quite well.

cvp 2017-03-10 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormdrummer (Post 1525144)
Yes, can be used as a daily driver, can't be updated to the latest sailfish release, but everything works quite well.

is not correct. I Update mine to 2.1.0.9 - you can do that via Terminal (own Risk)

ssu release 2.1.0.9
version --dup
sync
reboot

better is to update first from 2.0.4.14 to 2.0.5.6 and than to 2.1.0.9. The smartphone shows that an update 2.0.4.14 is available. Unfortunately, this can not be hidden.

wormdrummer 2017-03-10 11:44

I tried that, but then bluetooth and all repositories stopped working.

nthn 2017-03-10 23:29

Curious: are those icons themed blue by Turing, by you or by the camera angle?

wormdrummer 2017-03-11 00:49

They are themed blue by turing. I have been playing with the phome since working out how to fix bluetooth under 2.1.0.9 and I am now getting better battery life than the Jolla C. Have been using the phone heavily forbthe past three hours and battery is still on 81%.

Hmmm might have to keep it.

cvp 2017-03-11 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormdrummer (Post 1525180)
They are themed blue by turing. I have been playing with the phome since working out how to fix bluetooth under 2.1.0.9 and I am now getting better battery life than the Jolla C. Have been using the phone heavily forbthe past three hours and battery is still on 81%.

:) yes the batterie drain is much less with the newer firmware.
explain the BT fix. can you now send / receive files? or Audio only?

bocephus 2017-03-12 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormdrummer (Post 1525180)

Are you surprised? Who would want an already deprecated, non-upgradable pre-production novelty device from a company who was a joke from the very beginning? Especially when Sailfish devices are about to become much less difficult to obtain thanks to the Sony deal among other things.

Nah, tell you what. You make me an offer for how much you are willing to pay ME to give you my address so you can send me that device, just for you to be able to get rid of it and try to forget how stupid you were to throw money at those Turing charlatans in the first place. Bidding starts at $100.

wormdrummer 2017-03-12 06:00

Re: Turing Phone Dark Wyvern Glaedr

Wow, well I'm enjoying the phone now, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones to get something from them. Sounds like you might need some therapy buddy.

HtheB 2017-03-12 06:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocephus (Post 1525251)
Bidding starts at $100.

I think that you forget to put an extra 0 at the end of the price...

wormdrummer 2017-03-12 06:07

No longer for sale. Not worth it.

bocephus 2017-03-12 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormdrummer (Post 1525254)
Not worth it.

You've got that right! :D

nthn 2017-03-12 08:58

Oh great, he's on this forum as well. What's up with all the needlessly angry Swedes?

https://i.imgur.com/eHewcNf.png

mosen 2017-03-12 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormdrummer (Post 1525254)
No longer for sale. Not worth it.

Haha, nice.
Not the first time this forum prevented premature decisions actually.
Kudos to everone helping wormdrummer out.

Now, would you mind spending some 15 minutes to do some of the listed Benchmarks?
At least those Gecko benchs have clickable links and should be quick to do if you open the page in SFOS browser.

At least i am still curious of how the device performs.

bocephus 2017-03-12 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1525259)
Oh great, he's on this forum as well. What's up with all the needlessly angry Swedes?

https://i.imgur.com/eHewcNf.png

Well duh, many years before you were! I got my first N900 as soon as it became available, got two more after that, still have all three in working condition, got one of the few N950's, one N9, donated to the Neo900 project years ago without ever expecting a device, got the Jolla 1 from the start, the Jolla C, and even a backup Intex Aqua Fish that I converted to C with coderus' script. Before the N900 I was on Symbian, and I have never owned or used an Iphone or Android device in my life. So whatever your Maemo/MeeGo history is, if you want to compare ePenis-size then just name the ****ing time and place. Of course, seeing as how you're now "ignoring" me, I'd say what you actually have is an ePu55y.

chenliangchen 2017-03-12 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormdrummer (Post 1525124)
Really cant believe the nasty comments sent by pm to me just for trying to sell a phone. Didnt realise how hated Turing is within the forum. I used to enjoy coming here (for the past 8 years ever since my n900) but wont be anymore. Good luck.

Just ignore them all the put it onto eBay.

This place is suitable for selling a 8 year old N900, not for device that rare. :)

And I'm sorry for the response you got, I got the same when I tried to sell a brand new N950 before. They completely ignoring how rare the device is and think that only worth what the hardware is.

wormdrummer 2017-03-12 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1525263)
Haha, nice.
Not the first time this forum prevented premature decisions actually.
Kudos to everone helping wormdrummer out.

Now, would you mind spending some 15 minutes to do some of the listed Benchmarks?
At least those Gecko benchs have clickable links and should be quick to do if you open the page in SFOS browser.

At least i am still curious of how the device performs.

I quickly ran the first couple of tests. The first one (raiden video) had an fps of 48.9

The next.couple scored almost double to Jolla C. When I get time, I will run the all and.post results.

mosen 2017-03-12 22:47

1 Attachment(s)
Very good, thank you!
Your decision to stay makes you the winner ;)

Usally, tmo buy/sell flamewars are triggered by the fear someone could have the audacity to try making more money out of a given hardware than the holy spaghettimonster or richard stallman would allow.
Nothing to take personal.

EDIT got the spreadsheet attached, rename from .zip to .ods!

chemist 2017-03-13 12:12

Can we watch the "tone" a little, please?!

chenliangchen 2017-03-13 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocephus (Post 1525285)
I got my first N900 as soon as it became available, got two more after that, still have all three in working condition, got one of the few N950's, one N9, donated to the Neo900 project years ago without ever expecting a device, got the Jolla 1 from the start, the Jolla C, and even a backup Intex Aqua Fish that I converted to C with coderus' script. Before the N900 I was on Symbian, and I have never owned or used an Iphone or Android device in my life.

Does anyone here care about your history? Anyone? Please?

tommo 2017-03-13 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by wormdrummer (Post 1525124)

Well that's not on, name and shame I say!

bocephus 2017-03-13 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1525293)
And I'm sorry for the response you got, I got the same when I tried to sell a brand new N950 before. They completely ignoring how rare the device is and think that only worth what the hardware is.

Does anyone care how rare an N950 is? Well, maybe, but for the opposite reason you seem to think. The rarer the phone, the less inclined most would be to make an offer for it. I mean, who is actually stupid enough to collect "rare" phones? It is only worth what the hardware is worth, and I say that owning one myself. And, in the case of the Turing, that phone is worth considerably less than the hardware itself, I'd say...

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1525322)
Does anyone here care about your history? Anyone? Please?

I wouldn't have cared enough to even make a comment if the tables were turned, but since you did, what does that say about you?

meego_leenooks1 2017-03-13 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1525293)
Just ignore them all the put it onto eBay.

This place is suitable for selling a 8 year old N900, not for device that rare. :)

PM me when you have another n950 for sale ;)

MikeHG 2017-03-13 15:09

I don't think you understand how collecting things works.

Is a stamp or a coin worth its face value? Not at all, if it's rare, and people desire it. It's worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

I personally wouldn't pay anything for a Turing phone, because I don't collect rare phones. But since wormdrummer isn't trying to convince people it's worth lots *for its function as a phone* (edit - and also because since Turing appears to be stillborn, it isn't like selling it to a collector is going to deprive the developer community of it) I can't for the life of me think what your objection is.

mosen 2017-03-13 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocephus (Post 1525330)
*snip* who is actually stupid enough to collect "rare" phones? It is only worth what the hardware is worth, *snip*

That is your opinion.
Fact is collectors exist and payed 690€ for a Jolla Tablet, ~500€ for a Jolla C and way more than a grant for the only Turing Prototype that hit ebay some weeks ago.

Offering those device here usually means the person doing so is not after the money but wants to give it into good hands or even feature a developer.

Making it even more inapproriate to attack the OP...

meego_leenooks1 2017-03-13 16:18

There are also people who mind the privacy and security but willing to use a smartphone rather than Siemens A35, and n950 seems like a perfect choice as there is no point for CIA or KGB to spend time searching for vulnerabilities and writing trojans for the device that almost noone uses, instead of much more popular Android and Apple devices.

gerbick 2017-03-13 18:55

I definitely need more popcorn for this thread...

tommo 2017-03-13 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1525345)
I definitely need more popcorn for this thread...

And beer.....

BonoNL 2017-03-13 19:09

Never mind the idiots.

Feathers McGraw 2017-03-14 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1525259)
What's up with all the needlessly angry Swedes?

I think I'd be upset if I was such a boring vegetable, too :D

pichlo 2017-03-14 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1525362)
I think I'd be upset if I was such a boring vegetable, too :D

Objection! Swede ("rutabaga" for our North American friends) is by no means a boring vegetable. You clearly do not know how to prepare it, but that is hardly the poor vegetable's fault.

Feathers McGraw 2017-03-14 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1525364)
"rutabaga" for our North American friends

Ha, I wondered after I posted that if it might confuse people on the other side of the pond (and elsewhere in Europe).

Quote:

is by no means a boring vegetable. You clearly do not know how to prepare it, but that is hardly the poor vegetable's fault.
Hit me (figuratively speaking) with your best recipes then! To be fair, I was talking to an Estonian girl the other day who was describing some kind of grated, slow cooked swede and cream dish. Sounded nice.

pichlo 2017-03-14 10:42

<ot>
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1525369)
Hit me (figuratively speaking) with your best recipes then! To be fair, I was talking to an Estonian girl the other day who was describing some kind of grated, slow cooked swede and cream dish. Sounded nice.

Sounds nice indeed. I usually just dice them and boil them in the soup. Probably as boring as you can imagine :D Another alternative is cut them to wedges and roast them in the oven with a few drops of oil like potatoes. Or you could pre-boil them to soften them a bit, but not too much so that they survive the next step. Then wrap them in breadcrumbs or batter and shallow fry them. More common with couliflower or squash but any large vegetable would do. Here are some suggestions too.
</ot>

chenliangchen 2017-03-14 10:52

Folks just got extra popcorn will be disappointed by the direction of topic... :D But a nice one!!

mosen 2017-03-14 12:09

swedes (the vegetable) are extremely unpopular in europe.
I still hear my grandfather moan about actually surviving strictly on swedes for several years before there was a variety of foods available again during and after the war.

Wait, some of us propably would not be here if not for the swedes :D

Turing! Keep the device as long as you have fun, it will not get a price drop, espacially if they fold completely.