maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Meego: Towards Day One (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46445)

ZootHornRollo 2010-03-06 18:56

Re: Meego: Towards Day One

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuukka (Post 558029)
I'm planning to buy the Nokia N900 in the end of this month, but now im a bit suspicious. Is it reasonable, now that Meego and devices running it are on their way to the market?

nobody knows (or is letting on) what MeeGo will be like so really no-one knows the answer to your question - if you read this thread you will realise this.

I'll repeat what has been said dozens of times before to similar questions - If you buy an N900 now you are buying an N900 with Maemo5 in its current state - for better or worse depending on your outlook.

shadowjk 2010-03-06 23:50

Besides, when the next device comes out you will be wondering if to buy that one, or waiting for the next next device... ;-)

FRZ 2010-03-07 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsa (Post 555158)
I can see how this could be confusing so I'll try to clarify it a bit in hopefully understandable terms. (Disclaimer: Contains generalisation, simplification and cutting corners. If there are glaring mistakes, feel free to correct.)

2. You need to understand the layers, which together form an operating system. It may be difficult if you come from Windows/OS X world because they both only have one user interface. UI and applications, however are only the top of the OS pyramid. Underneath them there are a lot of stuff that actually make it all tick. That's what Meego is about, providing a common base for user interfaces and applications to be built on. When you think of Meego in general, think of everything you as an end user don't see.

3. What you actually see, the UI, applications, services etc. can and will vary depending on who made the Meego device. LG's UI may look totally different from Nokia UI. You'll only see Ovi applications and services on Nokia devices. These manufacturer specific applications on top of Meego won't necessarily be open source either. But the base on which they are built on is the same.

If you keep all this in mind, the discussion hopefully makes a bit more sense.

So Meego will be a generic linux mobile operating system with each vendors adding their own flavors to it?

luca 2010-03-07 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremiah (Post 558034)
Both systems are good although Debian's resolved dependencies first, rpm based systems had to wait until yum was developed before they had similar tools to apt-get.

I might be wrong, but I think mandriva developed urpmi long before redhat developed yum.

Crashdamage 2010-03-07 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 558704)
I might be wrong, but I think mandriva developed urpmi long before redhat developed yum.

Absolutely they did, about 10 years ago. Even though I no longer use Mandrake/Mandriva except for my laptop I still kinda prefer urpmi over any other rpm package handler. Really very good.

attila77 2010-03-07 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRZ (Post 558348)
So Meego will be a generic linux mobile operating system with each vendors adding their own flavors to it?

So it seems. There is supposed to be a lowest common denominator style MeeGo API, but it's fair game otherwise. Low-to mid layers seem to be expected as common across MeeGo devices, most of the difference being in the UX layer. Sort of like Android, from what I've gathered, except we get to be native (easier), share code with desktop components and also enclose the X86 + smartbook/netbook realm (whereas Google is focusing on Chrome instead of Android there).

lma 2010-03-08 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 558704)

And obviously Yellow Dog Linux' yup also predates yum.

luca 2010-03-08 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lma (Post 559553)
And obviously Yellow Dog Linux' yup also predates yum.

The first public version of yup was 0.5.3 released in march 2000, while I could find an urpmi package in mandrake 7.0, january 2000, so urpmi predates yup by a few months ;)