maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [MobileHotSpot] connection issue (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57554)

Snaps 2010-07-01 11:22

[MobileHotSpot] connection issue

So I installed Mobile Hot Spot, because I will be on a train for 6 hours and I need Internet on my Lap Top.

But every time I try to test it, it just says "HotSpot failed to start"

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

hermooz 2010-07-01 13:52

Re: Mobile HotSpot issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaps (Post 736936)
But every time I try to test it, it just says "HotSpot failed to start"

Mobile hotspot installs a custom kernel as a prerequisite, did you reboot the device after installing it? If not you've still the original kernel loaded and M.H. can't work.

bye!

ivnvir 2010-07-01 13:53

check if wifi is on (wifi switcher can turn it off/on) and/or try starting it in x-terminal to see the log messages

Snaps 2010-07-01 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermooz (Post 737115)
Mobile hotspot installs a custom kernel as a prerequisite, did you reboot the device after installing it? If not you've still the original kernel loaded and M.H. can't work.

bye!

I did restart it. I then reflashed my phone, and HotSpot was on the phone after the reflash.

joshv06 2010-07-01 14:30

Do you have Nmap installed?

handaxe 2010-07-01 14:30

I would uninstall & reinstall just to be safe.

HotSpot wants to establish the data connection itself. It failed for me when I had a pre-existing connection, but worked when I started with none. This may of course be worthless info in your case...
HA

Snaps 2010-07-01 14:38

I dont have Nmap installed. Ill try to reinstall it and start the connection without 3G or wifi on

Snaps 2010-07-07 10:28

Re: [MobileHotSpot] connection issue

Just uninstalled Mobile HotSpot and reinstalled it, and restarted the phone. Still not working. Any other suggestions?

handaxe 2010-07-07 20:19

If you have followed all the steps described above and it doesn't work, then some error message is needed to figure what is wrong. What gets displayed if u open an X term and type
Code:

mobilehotspot
Also note that using the USB cable the n900 can serve as a hsdpa/umts modem for a connected PC. That seems to be your use case, not so and is simpler tan mobilehotspot. Search the forums if you need info.
Goodluck, HA

kolos 2010-07-07 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaps (Post 743535)
Just uninstalled Mobile HotSpot and reinstalled it, and restarted the phone. Still not working. Any other suggestions?

First, you must have installed Enhanced Linux kernel.

Second, beside mobilehotspot you must install iptables and wireless-tools.

Do you have all that?