maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Coding competition 2012 starts June 11th, we want your application! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84773)

kojacker 2012-06-09 00:38

[Announce] Coding competition 2012 starts June 11th, we want your application!

[Edit: This thread is related to the 2012 competiton which is now finished. Stay tuned to maemo.org for news on any competition for 2013.]
http://talk.maemo.org/maemo/resource...ompetition.png

Hi all, Im pleased to announce that the maemo.org Coding Competition for 2012 starts next week!

Beginning Monday 11th June, and running for 3 months, new applications for Maemo and MeeGo Harmattan devices (and significant updates to existing ones) will be eligible to enter in this years competition. Whether you are an experienced developer or a beginner on your very first application, we have a category that suits you and your application!

Nokia has generously donated 14 N950s and 11 N9s that we will assign to the winners and runner ups across the various categories. There will also be a community bounty made up of individual donations which will also be shared out amongst the best placed entries.

Entry is free, so I would encourage you to check out the competition wiki for further details:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_coding_competition_2012

If there are any questions we have a discussion thread for the competition at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83761

Thanks for your interest, we can't wait to see what you'll develop for us :)

piggz 2012-06-10 19:36

Re: [Announce] Coding competition starts June 11th, we want your application!

Ok, im in, with a classic strategy game that will hopefully be (nearly)all-platform. Ofcourse, if it does take off and i get millions of users, i may have to revisit hosting the online part on my own cheap VPS!

leon.anavi 2012-06-10 21:19

Great! I had great time while I was developing my open-source app location2sms for the coding competition in 2011 and I plan to participate again this year.

I already have in mind two ideas for simple apps. I'll also might register location2sms at the updates section because there are several new features since the last coding competition :) .

marrat 2012-06-12 11:54

I had written a GDocs client few months ago (my first Harmattan and even mobile app ever) which after some initial effort I didn't pursue further due to lack of time/interest.

Would this still be eligible to enter the competition despite having "released" an app preview back then?

kojacker 2012-06-12 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by piggz (Post 1220271)
Ok, im in, with a classic strategy game that will hopefully be (nearly)all-platform. Ofcourse, if it does take off and i get millions of users, i may have to revisit hosting the online part on my own cheap VPS!

That sounds great piggz, I'll look forward to trying it out :cool:

By the way, while our submission entry page is being updated from the 2011 competition, we added a new 'Participants' table to the wiki. Feel free to add your name to it. It's for us organisers to remember who's interested in taking part so we can reach out directly with any info/updates to the competition and make sure your application is included.

(Edit: I just seen marrat is already on there, good work marrat!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by leon.anavi (Post 1220311)
Great! I had great time while I was developing my open-source app location2sms for the coding competition in 2011 and I plan to participate again this year.

I already have in mind two ideas for simple apps. I'll also might register location2sms at the updates section because there are several new features since the last coding competition :) .

Awesome, glad to have you back leon.anavi! Sounds like you're going to be spoiling us with a selection of apps and updates - which we love cos we like to be spoiled :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by marrat (Post 1220879)
I had written a GDocs client few months ago (my first Harmattan and even mobile app ever) which after some initial effort I didn't pursue further due to lack of time/interest.

Would this still be eligible to enter the competition despite having "released" an app preview back then?

Hi marrat, it sounds like your GDocs client probably wouldn't be included in one of the 5 categories for new applications if it has been released already I'm afraid. However, if you were to update your application it could be included in the "updates.." category. Maybe it will give you a boost to finish it off or add some new functionality? it does sound like a great application and the type we'd like in our competition so it would be great to include it :)

Ofcourse, as you've already demonstrated your skills with the GDocs client, I'm sure you would have no problems creating a second application which you could enter into one of the five categories for 'new' applications :cool: There's no limit on the number of entries from each developer, perhaps it could double your chances of winning a nice shiny new device :)

rainisto 2012-06-12 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by marrat (Post 1220879)

only to update category, not to others. And you should also state what are the updates compared to preview.

Tofe 2012-06-12 13:28

I'm in too, I have 3 months to write a sync client for Owncloud (and probably for any WebDAV too). The intent, in a first step, will be to have an efficient sync client with a minimal UI. I'll develop it first for my N900, but thanks to Qt I will try minimize the porting effort to N9.
The category, of course, will be "Network".

Khertan 2012-06-12 14:08

tofe: there is already a webdav client for n9/n950 :) which works well with my owncloud install :)

But feel free to create an other one.

I ve applied too, with KhtBMA, a unofficial battle.net mobile authenticator : http://khertan.net/KhtBMA

king Ralphred 2012-06-12 16:06

I'm having a look at the tutorials at the moment. I'll definitely be needing a hand at some point. The program I have in mind is very simple but I'm keeping the idea to myself until I have a vague clue what I'm doing. I really hope I get to enter.

hw9xx 2012-06-12 16:35

Someone who knows him please go and kick the author of stellarium mobile for the N900 until he joins this! ;)