maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Quim keynote on Maemo's switch to Qt as the main toolkit (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30085)

Peet 2009-07-04 17:31

Quim keynote on Maemo's switch to Qt as the main toolkit

From Vincent Untz's blog entry:

Quim just gave his keynote, announcing that maemo will switch to Qt as the main toolkit in the future, with GTK+ being a part of the maemo platform that will become supported by the community.

The included slide details the GNOME/Hildon/GTK+ technologies still being used or considered for Nokia's Maemo platform.

lma 2009-07-04 17:46

Re: Quim keynote on Maemo's switch to Qt as the main toolkit

That's a huge leap from "Qt support" and more than a little brave since Qt won't even be officially supported in Fremantle.

kate 2009-07-04 18:01

Is not != won't be . There is Qt commynity port lead by Forum Nokia and that is not at the moment part of the official Fremantle release. It don't mea that you don't have full Qt for Fremantle.

Everyone that like to develop Qt applications for Fremantle can use the Qt our Qt port.

allnameswereout 2009-07-04 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by lma (Post 302001)
That's a huge leap from "Qt support" and more than a little brave since Qt won't even be officially supported in Fremantle.

I thought it was pretty clear Qt would be supported on Fremantle, and default on Harmattan...?

javispedro 2009-07-05 00:04

Oh well. Time to remember how to write .pro files again.

The only problem I see with this is the two API breaks (5 & 6.0).

And I hope the resulting platform is a not a mess with any sane application needing to link with both gtk and qt.

GeneralAntilles 2009-07-05 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 302023)
I thought it was pretty clear Qt would be supported on Fremantle, and default on Harmattan...?

The statement made at the Summit last year was that Qt would be community-supported in Fremantle and officially supported in Harmattan.

Peet 2009-07-05 00:57

There's no turning back now...

Slashdot is covering Nokia's Maemo Switching To Qt.

lma 2009-07-05 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate (Post 302006)
There is Qt commynity port lead by Forum Nokia and that is not at the moment part of the official Fremantle release.

I must admit I'm a bit confused on the meaning of "support" / "community support" here. I find it hard to believe that Harmattan firmware will ship without GTK+ & Hildon. For one thing that would mean Nokia would have to rewrite every GUI app/component from scratch, including some decidedly non-trivial ones like modest and microb. For another, installation of practically any pre-existing third-party app would pull in the GTK+ stack as dependencies, so it might as well be preinstalled.

On the other hand, if GTK+/Hildon are part of the official firmware how would the community be able to support (publish updates and so on) them?

Some clarification would be very welcome please.

Quote:

Everyone that like to develop Qt applications for Fremantle can use the Qt our Qt port.
Sure, Qt is even available for Diablo. That's fine (although having two large-ish GUI runtimes in RAM seems wasteful), it's the dropping of GTK+/Hildon support part that's surprising.

luca 2009-07-05 11:05

With gtk they made the mistake of requiring hildonization instead of transparently make gtk applications to work.
From what I read about the community supported qt that is not strictly necessary with it (unless they "fix" it in harmattan).

ragnar 2009-07-05 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 302085)
With gtk they made the mistake of requiring hildonization instead of transparently make gtk applications to work.
From what I read about the community supported qt that is not strictly necessary with it (unless they "fix" it in harmattan).

Well, just "making them work", technically, wouldn't mean that their UI's would be usable on the tablet screens.