maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Open Web OS beta just released (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86436)

aironeous 2012-09-01 08:04

Open Web OS beta just released

It was just released yesterday.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/31/hp-...of-open-webos/

www.rzr.online.fr 2012-09-01 08:14

Re: Open Web OS beta just released

now the question is which platform could support it ? or what could be ported to harmattan ?

kinchan 2012-09-01 12:41

good question.

"The build provides an ARM emulator, running core services such as db8 and node.js.We are actively converging on an OE Core image which boots to System Manager and the full webOS experience."

does it mean that arm not supported natively?

wicket 2012-09-01 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr (Post 1258958)
what could be ported to harmattan ?

LunaSysMgr hopefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinchan (Post 1259080)
"The build provides an ARM emulator, running core services such as db8 and node.js.We are actively converging on an OE Core image which boots to System Manager and the full webOS experience."

does it mean that arm not supported natively?

No. It means it is built to run on ARM and an ARM emulator is provided for testing it on a PC, much like the Harmattan SDK, etc.

Build instructions can be found here.

panjgoori 2012-09-17 23:49

so is N900 is capable of running it ? And will it be ported to N900 ?

andyr0ck 2012-09-18 09:44

the HP Pre 3 (which has a nice spec) are on ebay for about £160-170.

i might buy one, yet another phone to add to my 'phones with lovely OSes that got abandoned by their creators' collection. ;-)

ste-phan 2012-09-18 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyr0ck (Post 1268324)
the HP Pre 3 (which has a nice spec) are on ebay for about £160-170.

i might buy one, yet another phone to add to my 'phones with lovely OSes that got abandoned by their creators' collection. ;-)

The commercial WebOS was indeed beautiful in its multitasking ergonomics although it lacks simple things like SIP client, good international phone number support, compatible Blue Tooth file exchange and so on...

Having owned a Pre 3 I must say that I felt like it was abandoned by its creator because of inferior hardware design.

It quickly became unstable to unusable and I had to send it 4 times back (1 time expansys, 3 times to Palm repair centre) and finally write an email to HP CEO and all right hands to finally get the case escalated and the motherboard replaced (like I insisted upon from day 1)

Althoug I really liked the screen of the Pre3
I 'd vote for a port to different hardware :p

andyr0ck 2012-09-18 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ste-phan (Post 1268328)
The commercial WebOS was indeed beautiful in its multitasking ergonomics although it lacks simple things like SIP client, good international phone number support, compatible Blue Tooth file exchange and so on...

Having owned a Pre 3 I must say that I felt like it was abandoned by its creator because of inferior hardware design.

It quickly became unstable to unusable and I had to send it 4 times back (1 time expansys, 3 times to Palm repair centre) and finally write an email to HP CEO and all right hands to finally get the case escalated and the motherboard replaced (like I insisted upon from day 1)

Althoug I really liked the screen of the Pre3
I 'd vote for a port to different hardware :p

ah, that's a shame. i was looking at the specs and thinking it looked like a reasonable 'legacy' purchase.

i'd love to see it ported to the '900, it is (as is most often the case from Nok-nok) a very well-made piece of kit. Not discounting the two times I had to send it back, obvs. :D

I wonder what the possibility/compatability is? weren't there some issues with driver code etc with the N900? or is all that behind us?

qwazix 2012-09-28 22:59

Open WebOS reached 1.0 and is now possible to get ported to other devices.

Quote:

What 1.0 means

Combining today’s components with those from the previous releases, Open webOS can now be ported to new devices.
http://blog.openwebosproject.org/pos...os-1-0-edition

One thing is that there is an email client. Maybe with QtWebkit we could make use of it on nemo.

Oh, and they plan to port Qt5 on it.

MartinK 2012-09-28 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwazix (Post 1273638)
Oh, and they plan to port Qt5 on it.

Provided it is finally usable for third party applications, this might help them quite a bit.

Explanation:
The current WebOS actually already heavily uses Qt & QML (settings, progress indicators, etc), but it can't be used by third party applications at all. You either have to use their hilevel HTML based Enyo/Mojo framework or the fairly lowlevel SDL. No middle ground (Qt, GTK, EFL, etc.) available. :)

There is some community compiling Qt@WebOS howto from February - I've been trying to follow it but got stuck on some weird build errors. I've even tried to contact the author but unfortunately got no reply. :)