maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Samsung Galaxy Note (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=76226)

debernardis 2016-11-20 06:54

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note

I want the Note 8.
In the meantime, I'm to install the latest firmware on my Note 4, root, put Twrp and Xposed, and reinstall everything from nandroid or titanium backup. Should take a few hours.
And, I need to find a Windows computer in order to Odin.

mscion 2016-11-20 07:23

When is the Note 8 being released?

debernardis 2016-11-20 13:52

Who knows. Next year is a reasonable guesstimate. I read they're going to sell reconditioned Note 7 devices, so maybe they found the reason it was exploding.
In this very moment I'm burning the new firmware through Flashfire on my Note 4. Will it boot again?

mscion 2016-11-20 21:28

Please let us know how Flashfire works out. Might want to try with my Note Edge. Thanks!

debernardis 2016-11-22 07:46

Flashfire? Bootlooped my device :(
Odin fixed it.

mscion 2016-11-22 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 1519179)
Flashfire? Bootlooped my device :(
Odin fixed it.

Thanks. So which rom are on? The Note 7 or the Note 4?

bandora 2016-11-22 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 1519059)
I want the Note 8.

Then, after a month, this will happen:

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/a...the-Note-7.jpg

Sorry had to do it.. :D:D:D

debernardis 2016-11-27 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1519190)
Thanks. So which rom are on? The Note 7 or the Note 4?

Still note 4,since I want the fingerprint sensor working.

Upgrading the firmware did no good, still lagging.

This brought me to an uninstalling spree, berserk style.
I also reloaded Greenify and greenified the bulk of remaining apps, first of all Facebook.
This was good, since afterwards my phone is snappy again. I don't know if it's due to uninstalling or greenifying, but that's it.

Dave999 2016-11-27 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandora (Post 1519194)
Then, after a month, this will happen:

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/a...the-Note-7.jpg

Sorry had to do it.. :D:D:D

That was brilliant! :D

Still I will be looking at next note for sure. Samsung handle the situation great, The devices offers more than most others so it will indeed be interesting so see how Samsung handles this next year.

I think the line is too great for cancellation. or at least I hope so.

vetsin 2016-11-30 09:59

Since my Note 2 died in July I have been using regular phones for the past few months and I'm now considering buying a new Note. The only choices for me are the Note 4 and the 5 but the 5 feels like a downgrade. No IR, no MHL, no SD card slot, non-removable battery, what else did I miss? Is there something in the Note 5 that makes up for all these things that they gave up?

Could the LG V10/V20 and a stylus be another option? Pressure sensitivity is not a necessity for me but an accurate stylus that can draw fine lines is.

debernardis 2016-11-30 11:08

You get an accurate stylus only with the Note series. unfortunately. Note 4 is still a beast. I don't think the Note 5 can compete, safe for the form factor if you like it.

mscion 2016-11-30 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetsin (Post 1519664)
Since my Note 2 died in July I have been using regular phones for the past few months and I'm now considering buying a new Note. The only choices for me are the Note 4 and the 5 but the 5 feels like a downgrade. No IR, no MHL, no SD card slot, non-removable battery, what else did I miss? Is there something in the Note 5 that makes up for all these things that they gave up?

Could the LG V10/V20 and a stylus be another option? Pressure sensitivity is not a necessity for me but an accurate stylus that can draw fine lines is.

You might also consider the Note 4's brother (or sister), the Note Edge. It does not have quite as much development as the Note 4 but is still the best phone I've owned. I like the wider aspect ratio of the screen and you can flash the Note 4 rom on it if you are not interested in the edge features. I also slapped a lemon battery on it which gives me up to three days usage without charging. Although it's a pretty thick beast now!

vetsin 2016-11-30 18:32

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for a further drop in the Note 4's price but looks like it's already at its lowest at this point. The only thing stopping me is the thought that at that price I can get a Oneplus 3, top-spec'd 2016 phone, though lacking in the S-pen department.

mscion,
I've read that the Note Edge has more screen problems than the normal version that's why I didn't consider it as an option. I'll check other recent testimonies. Thanks!

mscion 2016-11-30 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetsin (Post 1519716)
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for a further drop in the Note 4's price but looks like it's already at its lowest at this point. The only thing stopping me is the thought that at that price I can get a Oneplus 3, top-spec'd 2016 phone, though lacking in the S-pen department.

mscion,
I've read that the Note Edge has more screen problems than the normal version that's why I didn't consider it as an option. I'll check other recent testimonies. Thanks!

Hi. I haven't had any problems with the screen but it was generally agreed that the battery life was not good, at least on lollipop.

About a month ago I ordered a Lenovo Phab 2 Pro but then cancelled. Somehow Lenovo screwed up and put it in the mail to me yesterday. Should arrive next week. Will compare to Note Edge.

vetsin 2017-03-20 22:12

Just an update. I bought an LG V20 and a Galaxy Note 4 the other day. I actually bought the LG first then about an hour later I saw an ad for the Note 4 which was being sold at bargain price so I couldn't resist. Two days later both phones arrived and to my disappointment the Note 4 was a fake. I didn't realize that there are fakes of the Note series.
I'm enjoying the LG V20. The removable battery and IR are very much appreciated. I think the high-quality headphone jack output can be enjoyed even by non-audiophiles like me. The audio recording capability is amazing. In terms of camera performance, the S7 Edge is better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetsin (Post 1519664)

mscion 2017-08-16 14:00

Anybody have $1000 to donate to me. Really, it's for a good cause...

http://bgr.com/2017/08/16/galaxy-not...deep-blue-sea/

mscion 2018-08-09 18:45

Ok folks. Its here. What do you think? Blue or purple?

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/09/tec...ecs/index.html

mscion 2018-08-10 14:41

DeX is a nice feature for Note 9. Also works on Samsung S4 tablet. At one point Samsung was going to make Ubuntu an option when using DeX. Don't know what happened to that project...