maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   BT Audio problems (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82899)

justadude 2012-03-08 05:18

BT Audio problems

I tried to seach here and found nothing on this subject. N9 phone when connected with bluetooth for audio the music cuts out randomly. Very annoying when listening to music via Nokia wireless music receiver at work and my Pioneer head unit in the car. I saw a similar bug (bug #125) and contributed to it as people were having probs with the headsets too. From what I gathered it may be an issue with WI-FI scanning. Nokia has very little to say about this other than the fact that there seems to be no resolve as well as hardly responding. That there are compromises to be made either to WI-FI music connectivity or music quality. I don't know too much about this, but I was wondering if anyone had some insight to this and possibly a quick hack that would make things easier for the time being or a fix in general? Thanks all for your contributions.

jalyst 2012-03-08 08:57

Re: BT Audio problems

We've been trying to get them to be more responsive in that report (#125).
Some workarounds have been suggested, but so far they're still not biting.
If anyone has a fix/workaround that's relatively easy for them to implement.
Then please do add you ideas in that report!!

justadude 2012-03-30 04:46

Hate to bring up an old thread, but does anyone have interest in looking into this? Donations will be paid :) Thank you everyone!

tebsu 2012-03-30 09:13

+1

10char

coderus 2012-03-30 11:04

strange, all my bluetooth headphones working ecellent. no problems.

Demati 2012-03-30 12:15

I get this when I have my bluetooth audio connected and I use the GPS at the same time. I paired my phone with my car stereo and it works great until I use Maps or Drive. I believe the GPS radial is somehow interfering with the BT connection. At least in my experience this is the only time I have issues with BT audio.

delmar 2012-03-30 12:16

Usually I listen music with Bose Ie2 connected direct to the device (without bt-module) and only sometimes with the Nokia Bluetooth Headset Bh-214. With this bt-set and having the N9 near to me I've several times the same issue like @justadude, while this never happened with the same bt-set and N900. IMHO the bluetooth-connection (or -chip?) was way better with the N900.

Maserti 2012-03-30 20:01

i have the BH-905i and it stutters and goes in and on when there is a low wifi signal, even when moving out form the wifi signal it does the same thing, ive also tried with the N8 and i get better range with that than the N9, so something must be wrong.

Jordi 2012-03-31 05:44

Could be related to the cpu load. When high, random cuts.

Maybe it is possible to increase the priority of the BT process using some trick. Just a random thought.

Etchelon 2012-03-31 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1186009)
strange, all my bluetooth headphones working ecellent. no problems.

And tha would be strange because you experienced those problems in the past?

tebsu 2012-03-31 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordi (Post 1186351)
Could be related to the cpu load. When high, random cuts.

Maybe it is possible to increase the priority of the BT process using some trick. Just a random thought.

maybe this works? http://www.nixtutor.com/linux/changi...nux-processes/

didnt try though.. maybe later today

jalyst 2012-03-31 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1185891)
Hate to bring up an old thread, but does anyone have interest in looking into this? Donations will be paid :) Thank you everyone!

Maybe we should start to harass them in #125 again?
I could never understand their odd reasons for resolving that one almost instantly.
Especially since some simple workarounds were suggested as a compromise.

justadude 2012-04-01 05:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1186482)
Maybe we should start to harass them in #125 again?
I could never understand their odd reasons for resolving that one almost instantly.
Especially since some simple workarounds were suggested as a compromise.

I have no problem doing that again. I've heard of other people being able to vote more than once on a bug if so I'll just keep voting :) I just don't understand why this isn't a priority since they built the Nokia wirelss music receiver to use with the N9 and the NFC chip and yet it doesn't have a stable connection or even have the capability to use bluetooth with music and not work properly. I don't have any experience with BT headphones but when synced with my car stereo it is worse than when I use the Nokia music receiver.

keflex 2012-04-01 06:22

Surely someone could just write a toggle for the WiFi scanning?

jalyst 2012-04-01 08:05

Exactly. I think they'll do something simple if we continue to nudge them politely.
It shouldn't be put onto the community again. This is something they can do...

keflex 2012-04-01 09:34

Disabling WiFi has other ancillary benefits as well (battery life) so even if it was a community fix, I think it'd be easy enough to have someone see the logic in developing it. Something like WiFi Switcher for the N900.

justadude 2012-04-18 08:46

...just added an additional comment to bug 125. I know it sends out bulk mail to everyone, so for that I do apologize. I asked(politely) for a response so fingers crossed? I know it is probably too much to hope for at this point. Anyone interested in writing a tweak that would create (if connected via bluetooth, then wifi scanning=off)? I know airplane mode cures things, but I don't want to disconnect from the network either. Am I hitting the nail on the head with this one? As stated before, a nice dontation will be paid. Thanks all for the time involved.

vittoriob4 2012-04-28 01:40

Any news on this one? This issue is just driving me nuts . Cuts off radomly here and there to the point when I'm ready to sell my N9 and go back to N900...

justadude 2012-04-28 04:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by vittoriob4 (Post 1198456)
Any news on this one? This issue is just driving me nuts . Cuts off radomly here and there to the point when I'm ready to sell my N9 and go back to N900...

I posted another message on bug #125 still no response from Nokia. However, they have responded to this issue before and are well aware of what we are going through. I can only hope they do something with PR1.3... In the meantime, my offer still stands for a hefty donation to someone who can create a fix for this. I hope someone is bored that has the skills and is willing :)

vittoriob4 2012-04-29 01:27

Much appreciated!!!

isfr21 2012-04-29 02:16

Yeah have been having this annoying problem since Pr1.1. The music cuts out at first and when it resumes completely the sound quality is then distorted for the remainder of playback. I think I created a bug for this a while ago here: http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=560

keflex 2012-07-19 00:35

So, how has PR1.3 affected this issue for everyone? I've noticed a reduction in skips, however they still occur from time to time. This has already been mentioned in the mega-thread by one user, just wanted to see if everyone's experience was the same.

Eroico 2012-07-19 01:02

Here happens especially when reproducing the sound of my car, and much worse, reaching annoying when I use the GPS navigation.
: (

vittoriob4 2012-07-19 02:30

same issue here... As far as I'm concerned , nothing has changed...

Actually my car audio/ BT no longer can display and ring whenever somebody calls me... Before it showed incoming phone # and ringtone was played througout my car speakers. Not anymore. Removed and paired few times on both devices (my car BT and N9). Same thing, so unless I wont hear or see it on my N9, I dont see any incoming phone call. I believe contact sync with car BT system never worked...

justadude 2012-07-19 04:23

Not better nor worse. Still annoying. I again repeat a hearty donation to someone who would could help resolve this.

isfr21 2012-07-19 05:20

+1 on that. Maybe someone could create a script, a rule or anything of the kind so that whenever you are streaming audio via BT it will have Wi-Fi scanning automatically disabled so as not to have both BT and Wi-Fi simultaneously active which is known to cause this specific stutter issue.

Anyone willing to make this happen?

keflex 2012-07-19 06:03

I'm not certain, but I believe there may be difficulties disabling WiFi & keeping BT active due to the shared radio.

jalyst 2012-07-19 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by vittoriob4 (Post 1239552)
Actually my car audio/ BT no longer can display and ring whenever somebody calls me... Before it showed incoming phone # and ringtone was played througout my car speakers. . I believe contact sync with car BT system never worked...

There's a thread in bug-tracker, many confirmed there it's working for them.
IIRC it didn't support some older protocols, only the latest one/s, which was an issue for many cars BT stacks.
As to the main issue for this thread, ditto here, not much better really....

isfr21 2012-07-19 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by keflex (Post 1239581)
I'm not certain, but I believe there may be difficulties disabling WiFi & keeping BT active due to the shared radio.

Thanks for that. Then what about just disabling just the "scanning" instead of the whole Wi-Fi radio?

jalyst 2012-07-19 08:07

That was discussed in the tracker, some "fixes" were proposed that should be doable & relatively simple.
But they never responded; although last I checked it was "assigned" to someone only recently IIRC...

justadude 2012-08-23 06:11

Any update on this anyone? I am willing to pay a decent sum of money to whoever can implement a fix or a loophole. I constantly use the phone for wireless music connections at work, in the car, and hiking. Would absolutely love to not have this issue anymore. It's absolutely amazing that one of the product pitches for this phone was its wireless music capability and the NFC chip connectivity only to not have it work 100 percent properly :)

P@t 2012-08-23 12:02

for info, I am trying to test currently the use of a gconf key to limit the interval of wifi scanning and then to remove the bad stuttering when it does.
So far, I only tested this morning and it seems to be perfectly covering the issue. But it probably needs more test before making sure that this is it.
You can check the last page of the profilematic page and see the hint from ajalkane: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79642&page=68
And if you have some money to give, donate to him :)

For the moment, I change the gconf key to 0 after I found this example in http://mg.pov.lt/share-wifi

justadude 2012-08-24 04:17

I will gladly donate to the individual/s who has made progress in this matter. I would need something a little more complete to test. Instead of just setting scanning to 0, couldn't there be conditions to stop scanning once a wifi connection has been made and/or when bluetooth connection is active? Can it be made into a settings menu with slide switches for those types of options? You guys are getting into the realm of the limit of my understanding of how the system works so obviously for people like myself we would need something a little more straightforward to work with :) thanks so much for the reply!

ajalkane 2012-08-24 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 1255159)
Instead of just setting scanning to 0, couldn't there be conditions to stop scanning once a wifi connection has been made and/or when bluetooth connection is active?

This is possible with ProfileMatic. You can use WiFi condition, then in Custom Action the gconf command to disable/enable WiFi scanning.

Bluetooth conditions will come later, maybe next version.

P@t 2012-08-24 08:40

Additional test this morning suggests that this is not 'magic'. Indeed the automatic scanning seems to be stopped but obviously if you are not connected to internet, and something like a regular email check is asking for internet connection, then the system will try to connect using first wifi and then GSM. In that case, I had some stuttering.

But at least it seems much more manageable, especially using profitematic ;)

ajalkane 2012-08-24 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by P@t (Post 1255207)
Additional test this morning suggests that this is not 'magic'. Indeed the automatic scanning seems to be stopped but obviously if you are not connected to internet, and something like a regular email check is asking for internet connection, then the system will try to connect using first wifi and then GSM. In that case, I had some stuttering.

So enabling also PSM should help with that? Better would be to disable "Background connections". I had that implemented, but it did not work correctly on PR1.2. Maybe I should try if it's fixed in PR1.3 and I can change it using gconf.

P@t 2012-08-24 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1255306)
So enabling also PSM should help with that? Better would be to disable "Background connections". I had that implemented, but it did not work correctly on PR1.2. Maybe I should try if it's fixed in PR1.3 and I can change it using gconf.

I guess the other possibility is to keep internet connected with GSM while you listen to music. So that would be PSM off, background connections on.
The important point is that it does not connect so either it is already connected or it keeps being not connected.
It probably becomes a user preference.

But it would be nice if others try and see how it works for them.

PhatApteryx 2012-08-24 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by P@t (Post 1255317)
I guess the other possibility is to keep internet connected with GSM while you listen to music. So that would be PSM off, background connections on.
The important point is that it does not connect so either it is already connected or it keeps being not connected.
It probably becomes a user preference.

But it would be nice if others try and see how it works for them.

I mountain bike where there is often no cellphone coverage and use bt headphones and get dropouts. My solution is to go to flight mode, then re-enable BT. No other method works for me & it means i cant use sportstracker but that is hopeless on the n9 anyway. Would be nice to find a way to do this without taking the phone offline though.

isfr21 2012-08-24 17:52

I've set it to 0 and it's been working great for me. But I did flash my N9 completely including the eMMC. It works amazing now. FRESH.

I don't know if setting to 0 did this but my N9's battery performance is now superb! Bluetooth stuttering for me at least has been eliminated so far.

I did an hour and a half drive with bluetooth streaming yesterday and I did not hear any stuttering or quality degradation. I would agree with P@t to make sure you're connected to GPRS before you stream and you should be fine.

ajalkane 2012-08-24 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by P@t (Post 1255317)

Right. I think I misunderstood your original posting. I thought it was, because of the scanning setting, asking you for internet connection. But it was asking because you had no connection at all (no GSM nor WLAN).

But like you said, it's good to get different experiences on this so that good solutions for different use cases are found (with or without ProfileMatic).

So to help with that, I'll write here what I understand to be the commands to disable and enable WiFi scanning.

Disable WiFi scanning:
Code:

gconftool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval -t int 0
Restore WiFi scanning (every 5 minutes):
Code:

gconftool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval -t int 300
You should be able to enter these commands directly to ProfileMatic's custom action's to bind them to conditions you wish. Or, of course, run them directly from terminal.