maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Newbie (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Offline Mode. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=7479)

Rlgnak 2007-07-09 20:47

Offline Mode.

I'm thinking about purchasing a N800 and I was wondering , is there a way to just turn off the wifi while leaving bluetooth on ? i want to be able to take notes with a bluetooth keyboard but also want to try to extend the battery life by turning off wifi.

Thanks.

Milhouse 2007-07-09 21:55

Re: Offline Mode.

Wifi is off unless you are connected to a WLAN.

Rlgnak 2007-07-09 22:01

ok I dont wanna sound anoying buuuttt.

if wifi is off when your not connected to WLAN then why does the battery last longer if you use offline mode. ( P.S. ive just been reading manual and forums so i dont have any experience with it yet. )

I own a pda that you can turn off wifi and it extends the battery quiet a few hours same with my zune , is there not an option like that ?

barry99705 2007-07-09 22:34

It lasts longer because the wireless card is powered down. That's offline mode.

Rlgnak 2007-07-09 22:47

So .. what im getting is the wifi card and bluetooth module are one in the tablet ? , kinda bummer. thanks anyways

Milhouse 2007-07-09 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rlgnak (Post 58438)
ok I dont wanna sound anoying buuuttt.

if wifi is off when your not connected to WLAN then why does the battery last longer if you use offline mode. ( P.S. ive just been reading manual and forums so i dont have any experience with it yet. )

I own a pda that you can turn off wifi and it extends the battery quiet a few hours same with my zune , is there not an option like that ?

I'm not saying you're wrong, as I really don't know for sure, but I'd have though that the N800 WiFi module would use next to zero power when there is no connection established. Nokia have been pretty keen to ensure minimal power usage wherever possible and are not likely to have allowed the WiFi module to continue consuming power while no connection is established. And no offence but comparing a (most likely Windows?) PDA and Zune with the N800... not a good move!! ;) :D

The N800 BT and WiFi radios are on seperate chips (CSR 41814 and STLC4550 respectively) so it should be possible for the WiFi module to consume little if any power while Bluetooth is active.

I thought Offline mode was simply a way to shut down both radios in addition to preventing applications from automatically going online if they wanted to. In "normal" mode, an applications can instigate a WiFi connection automatically if they need it, which is prevented by going into "Offline" mode.

megabyte405 2007-07-10 00:56

You can have the Wifi set to not connect automatically and to disconnect after a timeout (I set mine to 10 minutes), which essentially "turns off" the WiFi. It is not like Windows XP where it is constantly listening to beacons - if you ask it to select a connection, it will then listen and try to find networks, but if it's disconnected, it's off.

Bluetooth is on by default, and can both be turned off on its own and by choosing offline mode. Milhouse's statement about the nature of Offline mode agrees with what I find to be true.

LordFu 2007-07-10 15:39

I found battery life to be much better in offline mode.