maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Maemo 5] Instant Messaging (IM) Client? AIM, GTalk, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo, etc. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32871)

kopte3 2009-10-04 16:17

[Maemo 5] Instant Messaging (IM) Client? AIM, GTalk, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo, etc.

How difficult is it and is it possible to have it implemented in contacts like skype? Can we expect Nokia to implement it, or we have to do it? I think it's one of the 3 most popular messengers worldwide so i can't believe it's not already implemented by Nokia.
Tnx for your answers. ;)

aikon800 2009-10-04 16:26

Re: Integrating Windows Live Messenger (aka MSN)

It would be great if aMSN will come back for maemo 5

joshua.maverick 2009-10-04 16:38

My understanding was that it was going to be included?

abbra 2009-10-04 16:39

RTCOM (real time communications) subsystem in Maemo 5 is built on top of Telepathy. Telepathy plugins allow to set up any additional messaging protocols. For example, in Extras-testing there is now telepathy-haze which uses libpurple to support multiple messaging protocols. There is also telepathy-butterfly which supports MSN protocol directly.

Testing that they work might take some time but once people would verify telepathy-haze/telepathy-butterfly, they can vote for their promotion to Extras repository. After that they would be visible to a normal setup, without need to add Extras-testing.

For example, if I do following:
Code:

# apt-get install telepathy-butterfly account-plugin-butterfly
there will be MSN account type in VoIP/Chat accounts setup. I do not have any MSN account to verify that it works, actually.

When telepathy-haze and account-plugin-haze are installed, I also get 'MSN (Haze)' account type so now there are two ways to get MSN working.

telepathy-haze also gives ability to setup access to IBM's Sametime servers through wonderful meanwhile library.

kopte3 2009-10-04 16:45

So that means it can be implemented in the same way as Skype is already implemented? Thanks!

joshua.maverick 2009-10-04 17:18

Can anyone out there with an n900 and wlm account try this out?

romanianusa 2009-10-04 17:39

I rather have Yahoo Messenger or AIM.

abbra 2009-10-04 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kopte3 (Post 339254)
So that means it can be implemented in the same way as Skype is already implemented? Thanks!

It is already implemented, it is matter of installing two packages from Extras-testing right now.

kopte3 2009-10-04 18:03

Thanks, that's what i wanted to hear. :)

remister 2009-10-04 18:17

Are the IM clients "always-on" connection or do they constantly disconnect when you're not active on the clients?