maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   My n900 cant find any available WLAN (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57055)

anumose 2010-06-25 02:18

My n900 cant find any available WLAN

My n900 cant find any available wireless network when i search for it even though i have some around me, some good samaritan should plz help me cos my ''Select Network'' window dont display anything, PLZZZZZ:( help me THX

9000 2010-06-25 02:33

Re: My n900 cant find any available WLAN

In other thread someone has reported that the problem solved by reflashing the firmware. In the meanwhile if you don't want to reflash yet, you may try the following commands under xterminal to see if they helps:

Code:

sudo stop wlancond
sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
sudo start wlancond

anumose 2010-06-25 02:55

Hello, when i enter each command and enter it asks for password, what am i suppose to enter there plz help me thx

9000 2010-06-25 03:10

Then you must install rootsh then:

Code:

apt-get install rootsh

anumose 2010-06-25 03:15

Plz when i enter that command It says

E: could not open lock file
E: unable to lock the administration directory

what do i do now plz

wildwaldbiberhirte 2010-06-25 03:19

Hi!
So I guess you have not worked with Linux systems yet. No problem, but it always helps to at least at the basics understand what you are doing.
Like this you will learn the most and get closer to the full potential of the device.

The system is able to perform different tasks with different rights (like reading and writing certain files, acces to ertain hardware features) for security reasons. These rights can be set per user (not only physical) or groups. The superuser/root has read/write/execute acces to everything on the device. To execute a command as superuser, you can use the "sudo" command. Or you can login as root by typing "root" in a terminal.

The superuser/root account is not active on the device per default. You have to install the package "rootsh" and perform the command "sudo gainroot".

You should consider to take a look at the maemo wiki for beginners.

Btw, I don't know if the commands will solve your wifi problem, as I have no problem with this, and you don't provide useful information to solve that problem.

wildwaldbiberhirte 2010-06-25 03:23

Installing packages with apt-get requires root rights. Installing the program to provide root rights won't be possible consequently.

Just use the graphical package manager and search for rootsh.

anumose 2010-06-25 03:26

where will i find the graphical package manager

x61 2010-06-25 03:27

You may want to go through settings -> Internet settings -> connections. and play with it from there.

9000 2010-06-25 03:30

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by anumose (Post 728412)
Plz when i enter that command It says

E: could not open lock file
E: unable to lock the administration directory

what do i do now plz

Ok...download the following file, copy it to your N900, cd to that directory, and run the following command under xterminal:

Code:

sudo dpkg -i rootsh_1.8_all.deb
If it still asks for a password for the above command then we should think of something else, like copying the binary for you directly.

Just feel free to raise any question. I can help you as much as I can as long as I'm around the computer. ^^