maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] SVGClock for Diablo (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39356)

shin 2010-01-05 17:56

[Announce] SVGClock - An analog clock applet for your desktop !!

5 Attachment(s)
[Edit]
Yes!, presenting the SVGClock as one click installable from the Download catalog / Extras repository

Go here to install the latest SVGClock with all its dependencies!!

The themes directory has moved to /usr/lib/svgclock/themes. Download the themes you like from here and copy to the /usr/lib/svgclock/themes/default folder and restart the applet..

Update : Version 0.8-5 released. Includes functionality to display the OSSO Alarm UI, when the applet is double clicked.

Note : The the installation steps mentioned below ( outside of the Edit tags) are not necessary anymore!!
[/Edit]
>|<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->|<
Presenting SVGClock - the Cairo clock with SVG ( Scalable Vector Graphics) rendering for Diablo!! (Fremantle should also be possible. Please read below!) Since they say pictures talk more than the words, here you go..
You can get close to a 100 different themes from here. Not happy with these available themes? You can create your own and customize them using inkscape..

http://i50.tinypic.com/5ph9h2.png
http://i48.tinypic.com/2a4w96p.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/339pq94.png
http://i47.tinypic.com/2jbs9p0.png

Std statutory Warning : Some of this may break the setup on your tablet and you may have to reflash!! Pls back up before trying this and I may not be able to support you in that..;)

Acknowledgement :
I have referred heavily the code from Maemo Cairoclock, Cairo Clock from Macslow, Screelet clock and a great lot of reading on http://www.cairographics.org to render SVG…

How to get the clock:

1) Download the files listed in the Attachment section below to /home/user/MyDocs :

2) Open Xterminal and execute the following :

Code:

cd /home/user/MyDocs
sudo dpkg -i gnome-python-desktop_2.25.91-1_armel.deb
sudo dpkg -i librsvg2-2_2.8.1-4_armel.deb
sudo dpkg -i librsvg2-common_2.8.1-4_armel.deb

Additionally you may also have to execute the below to get the various Python bindings.. ( most of these may be available on your device already, installed through other common Python apps. But just in case..)
Code:

sudo apt-get install hildon-desktop-python-loader python2.5-hildondesktop python2.5-hildon python2.5-gobject python2.5-dbus python2.5-osso python2.5-cairo python2.5-gtk2
For the above, activating 'extras-devel' on the App installer may be required. Pls read the statutory warning below. Remember to deactivate, immediately after this step

3) Install “SVGClock-1.0.0-1_all.deb” package. This is the SVG clock and post installation, it can be enabled/disabled through the Home menu > Select Applets > SVGClock on the hildon desktop

Code:

sudo dpkg -i SVGClock-1.0.0-1_all.deb
4) The theme package of the clock (SVG files of clock face, Frame, Hour/Min/Sec hands) can be installed as below. Untar using the below command to the /home/user/MyDocs/Themes/default folder ( Untar will automatically extract to this path)

Code:

tar xvzf Themes.tar.gz
5) This is the latest change to the code, that improves the performance. Download the svgclock.py script from here and replace the python code that gets installed with the SVGClock-1.0.0-1_all.deb, with the following command
Code:

$sudo mv svgclock.py.zip /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/svgclock.py
This is more of a stop gap until I am able to release the next version of the SVGClock

Voila!

You have a cool clock widget on the desktop which can be changed according to your mood, the desktop background, Color, etc.. And yes! You have about 100 clock faces/themes available from here

Lastly the same method can be followed ( with a few Fremantle/Maemo5 specific tweaks ofcourse!!) so that our friends with the N900 can also have this desktop SVGClock since it is based on Python. I dont intend to do this ( as I dont have the N900 - I like my tablet) and I hope some one would port this on Fremantle for the community..

[Updated to clean up the installation steps and remove some of the issues that have been fixed in the script from Step 5) above]

Addison 2010-01-06 05:30

Re: [Announce] SVGClock for Diablo

That looks absolutely sick! :D

Awesome job with getting this on Diablo without knowing how to code!

Any chance you could make the install a little easier though?

Like for instance...

Grab these files and put them in a folder called /media/mmc2/SVGClock
file
file
file
file

Then copy and paste this in Xterm and you're done.
code command thingies...

Does that make any sense?

Also, I'm pretty sure I don't have Python support installed unless it comes by default and I don't think I even know what that means or what all is needed since there's so many possible python programs to download from the app manager.

But yeah, I'd love to try this out.

Many thanks!

shin 2010-01-06 05:52

Addison

I kind of get what you are asking for.. I will try doing this today when I get back from work.. to put together the required files somewhere easy to down load and the code snippets any one can execute in sequence to get this. Any suggestions on where I can upload the code. Pastebin.com would work, but the download will be a .txt file which needs to be renamed to .py, etc..

Also on the python support, I checked my app installer > installed apps, and I did not find anything specific to Python installed there. So either it comes as default or if the Cairoclock from Step 1) above works for you, the SVGClock should also work once you have the “gnome-python-desktop” package installed from Step 2), that enables SVG rendering

HTH

s1rl4ncel0t 2010-01-06 06:29

I don't know anything about programing, but thing I'm sure about. Those screenshots are much more appleaing than any screenshot I could take from my N900 :(

Bye

Addison 2010-01-06 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by shin (Post 455172)
Addison

I kind of get what you are asking for.. I will try doing this today when I get back from work.. to put together the required files somewhere easy to down load and the code snippets any one can execute in sequence to get this. Any suggestions on where I can upload the code. Pastebin.com would work, but the download will be a .txt file which needs to be renamed to .py, etc..

Whatever is fine.

I'll just copy and paste your Xterm commands into a Notes file and place that within the SVGClock folder on my memory card.

That way, I can simply open up the Notes file, Select All, Copy, then paste it in Xterm.

For me, this works just as good as having an .install file. :)

And sorry for not being able to follow what you probably feel are simple instructions on getting this installed.

I've tried stuff like this before and will end up flooding the thread with endless questioning.

If it's something easy like a copy and paste, I usually can manage to handle that low level of intelligence without complaint. :)

gerbick 2010-01-06 07:26

Extremely nice work, glad to see this on the N8x0!

shin 2010-01-06 19:44

Addison here you go.. I have uploaded a .deb that one can easily install ( thanks for asking, now I know how to create a .deb and package). Now I may try putting this on Extras so that anyone can easily install it.

Pls see the original post above for the new install instructions

Addison 2010-01-06 22:30

I have issues. *lol*

Quote:

[1|root@Nokia-N800-43-7|/home/user/MyDocs]dpkg -i gnome-python-desktop_2.25.91-1_armel.deb
Selecting previously deselected package gnome-python-desktop.
(Reading database ... 18918 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gnome-python-desktop (from gnome-python-desktop_2.25.91-1_armel.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnome-python-desktop:
gnome-python-desktop depends on librsvg2-2 (>= 2.18.1); however:
Package librsvg2-2 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing gnome-python-desktop (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
gnome-python-desktop
I downloaded librsvg2-2.install from here:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...iablo/install/

When I click on the file, it brings me to the app manager.

After that it gets fussy by saying "Unable to download librsvg2-2. Application package not found."

Stupid error. :D

Any advice on this shin?

shin 2010-01-07 03:04

1 Attachment(s)
Addison - Pls find attached the librsvg2.. Sorry, somehow I seem to have missed these dependencies while packaging, as I seem to have them installed on my device to make it work..

my first time to package the .deb

Addison 2010-01-07 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by shin (Post 456694)
Addison - Pls find attached the librsvg2.. Sorry, somehow I seem to have missed these dependencies while packaging, as I seem to have them installed on my device to make it work..

my first time to package the .deb

Unacceptable! :D

It looks like it still needs more than just librsvg2 though.

Quote:

Selecting previously deselected package librsvg2-2.
(Reading database ... 18939 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking librsvg2-2 (from librsvg2-2_2.8.1-4_armel.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of librsvg2-2:
librsvg2-2 depends on libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.16); however:
Package libart-2.0-2 is not installed.
librsvg2-2 depends on librsvg2-common (= 2.8.1-4); however:
Package librsvg2-common is not installed.
dpkg: error processing librsvg2-2 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
librsvg2-2
I'll rifle through the net and see if I can find those other unmet dependencies and install them tomorrow.