maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How to define the Maemo Summit schedule (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29466)

qgil 2009-06-10 08:10

How to define the Maemo Summit schedule

Let's agree on the open questions at http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2...dule#Checklist
  • Who will organise the schedule? A committee, the organiser, the council?
  • Do we need a call for content?
  • If we have a call for content, what is the schedule for proposals & acceptance?
  • Themes? It seems like the core themes will be Fremantle & Harmattan
  • Schedule - what's the best way to handle planning & putting the schedule online? Wiki again? Or another solution? (Dave says: Having used it in the past, I really like Expectnation, although it's not free software)

Please raise also any other questions relating to the schedule that come to mind.

Jaffa 2009-06-10 09:03

Re: How to define the Maemo Summit schedule

• I don't think it has to be the council who decides; we're facilitators. However, if no-one else volunteers, we'll have to find a way.
  • A call for content sounds sensible.
  • Don't know. Practical logistics like sponsorship, work arrangements etc. probably dictate this by simply working backwards.
  • Fremantle & Harmattan sound like a sensible theme, but you know more than us on whether this'll be a "You got your fremantle devices last week, here's what can be done with them" or "so, fremantle devices have been out for 4 months now here's the state of the ecosystem" or "as you know, we're shipping fremantle devices next month".
  • No experience. The wiki worked last year, but seemed a little chaotic. Certainly proposing a talk shouldn't mean trying to fit it sensibly in the schedule.

Baloo 2009-06-10 09:35

• I think a volunteer group of key people, a bit like last year, along with the council could be a good choice of organizers.
  • Definitely and as soon as possible. Better to give people enough time to prepare.
  • As Jaffa points out, any sponsorship requests for potential speakers would play a part in if the talk is accepted. Taking this out of the equation then some kind of voting system where-by the community decides what it wants to see on the community days seems best. Just a suggestion but can Midgard handle something like this with the thumbs up (no thumbs down) buttons coupled with a talk proposal?
  • Core themes, Fremantle, Harmattan, Mer seem the obvious choices.
  • I think the wiki worked well last year. If the call for content is done and dusted, a quick edit of the wiki page would be enough to reflect the schedule.

VDVsx 2009-06-10 10:23

• Totally agree with Jaffa, the council members IMO are not obligated to self-volunteer, but if no-one else volunteer (unlikely) the council should give a extra hand (I already offered my help in the ML :) )
  • I think so, we have other options ?
  • I Like Baloo's suggestion, but some kinda of acceptance 'commite' should also be created, otherwise I expect some problems and some unfair judgements of the papers. The balance between developers topics and user topics should be also take into account.
  • Fremantle,mer and the Nokia folks talking about Harmattan, the rest is too dark for me right now.
  • If you are only thinking in the schedule, the wiki should work fine, but if you are also thinking in the call for papers, I wouldn't advise the wiki for that.

dneary 2009-06-10 12:38

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 295201)
  • I don't think it has to be the council who decides; we're facilitators. However, if no-one else volunteers, we'll have to find a way.

Sure - but the council are well placed to know who might be (a) available, (b) willing and (c) able to take on organising community content.

Plus, you have a unique position of being able to empower someone to take the lead on this.

I'll make 3 suggestions for the role:
  • Baloo
  • Brontide (he did a great job last year)
  • Me

Quote:

• A call for content sounds sensible.
  • Don't know. Practical logistics like sponsorship, work arrangements etc. probably dictate this by simply working backwards.

Yes, but I think we can agree on "ASAP" - once we have someone who is heading the organisation of the programme, he can then perhaps recruit others to help filter presentation proposals. Typically, the process will need at least 6 weeks from call for content to notifying successful presenters.

Quote:

• Fremantle & Harmattan sound like a sensible theme, but you know more than us on whether this'll be a "You got your fremantle devices last week, here's what can be done with them" or "so, fremantle devices have been out for 4 months now here's the state of the ecosystem" or "as you know, we're shipping fremantle devices next month".
  • No experience. The wiki worked last year, but seemed a little chaotic. Certainly proposing a talk shouldn't mean trying to fit it sensibly in the schedule.

While I mentioned Expectnation, it could well be over-kill. If we had Drupal installed, I'd suggest the Conference module for it, but we don't. The wiki may well be the best option we have given time & infrastructure constraints, with the added cost of peer review needed to maintain naming conventions & things like that, and ensure that information is complete.

Cheers,
Dave.

Baloo 2009-06-10 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dneary (Post 295261)
Hi,

Sure - but the council are well placed to know who might be (a) available, (b) willing and (c) able to take on organising community content.

Plus, you have a unique position of being able to empower someone to take the lead on this.

I'll make 3 suggestions for the role:
  • Baloo
  • Brontide (he did a great job last year)
  • Me

I'd be glad to help out but I would also suggest that it be done by more than one person.

Also not sure what has happened to Brontide, he doesn't seem to be very active at the moment. http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=10201

timsamoff 2009-06-10 14:19

I nominate Valério Valério (thanks, VDVsx) ;) and Andrea Grandi (thanks, andy80) ;) to be on this team. No "no's" allowed. :p

Tim

VDVsx 2009-06-11 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsamoff (Post 295288)
I nominate Valério Valério (thanks, VDVsx) ;) and Andrea Grandi (thanks, andy80) ;) to be on this team. No "no's" allowed. :p

Tim

As I already said, I'm happy to help in some parts of the event, but since I intend to submit a presentation, I will be automatic excluded from the papers acceptance process. Although I will try to help with suggestion in the event schedule, and also I can go to Amsterdam a couple days before the event (have friends there) in order to help the local organization.

But I think is to early to think in this issues, right now the presentation submissions and selection process is one of main priority's.

qgil 2009-06-11 11:02

I don't think presenting a proposal is a reason to be excluded. This is not the Pulitzer.

I volunteer to be part of the selection process in the way you prefer. I have the experience of the previous Summit and I know what Nokia is cooking.

dneary 2009-06-11 11:14

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDVsx (Post 295589)
since I intend to submit a presentation, I will be automatic excluded from the papers acceptance process.

I don't think that needs to be the case. In GUADEC paper selection previously, we simply had people not vote on their presentations, resulting in one paper proposed by someone on the papers committee being accepted, and another being rejected.

Cheers,
Dave.