maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Petition to the White House to migrate to Linux (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83388)

towhatend 2012-04-01 22:58

Petition to the White House to migrate to Linux

Read and sign here:

They say you have to live in the US to sign it, but people outside the US have been able to fill the petition as well.

This is taken from this tread.

MINKIN2 2012-04-01 23:08

Re: Petition to the White House to migrate to Linux

Why? Do they not already run *nix based firewalls and servers? Does it matter if senator billy-bob bobson Jr uses Excel to create his spreadsheet of US citizens who may or may not buy products made in the USA?

gerbick 2012-04-01 23:33

Perhaps this is how Red Hat gets their next Billion in revenue.

towhatend 2012-04-01 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1186984)
Why? Do they not already run *nix based firewalls and servers?

Yepp, in some levels at least.

Quote:

Does it matter if senator billy-bob bobson Jr uses Excel to create his spreadsheet of US citizens who may or may not buy products made in the USA?
I donīt live in the US and I donīt care about Boby. This it not about individualism. There is more then just Boby who works for the state in the US... I canīt see what you are trying to say, really? You are talking about one program and this is about something bigger then that.

Andre Klapper 2012-04-02 07:58

Why does everything else cost more (since "costs" is the main argument in that petition)? Any numbers comparing Linux and some BSD (or insert anything else here from the free world)?

I don't like petitions in which $AverageJoe asks $Government to do $Stuff and nothing else, just because $AverageJoe thinks that (s)he knows best what's good for $Government.
(I admit this is quite similar to "Let's invade country X to show them how they should run their country no matter what we all don't know and understand about their society and real needs, because we know we're right and we can do it! Hell yeah!")

If the petition was about open standards *in general* I could agree at least. But the "it's cheaper" argument is rather weak especially when there is no given proof for the statement. [Citation needed]

towhatend 2012-04-02 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper (Post 1187111)
(I admit this is quite similar to "Let's invade country X to show them how they should run their country no matter what we all don't know and understand about their society and real needs, because we know we're right and we can do it! Hell yeah!")

Haha. :D Well the US have never invaded another country... ;)

I was just thinking that a linux community (that in general donīt agree with the Microsoft monopoly) may spend one minute of there time to sign something pretty harmless. And as I said, I donīt live in the US. I donīt even like governments at all. I _only_ share this because of the reason given ^

And I totally agree about open standards, that is however something I spent more time on here in my city because that is more important for me. A petition is not much in reality.

nerhd 2012-04-13 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by towhatend (Post 1186980)

Lets see... they need 25,000 signatures and they've got a whopping 23 so far, so they only have 24,977 to go. It's been twelve days so far and they've got 18 days left. I think they'd better get busy. I'm not going to hold my breath. :)
And by the way, is this petition on the white house website, and is that how they're spending our tax dollars, hosting critical petitions like this???
update: now they've got 24 signatures and 11 days left to get another 24,976...