maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Maemo 5] [better] email client for N900? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35469)

hypnotik 2009-11-30 14:07

[Maemo 5] [better] email client for N900?

Any thoughts on an alternative POP3/IMAP client than the built-in Modest email client in the N900? It's having a real problem dealing with Inboxes with over a thousand messages in it. You'd think it could be smart about how it downloads messages (last X days, headers only, etc), but it's failing to download messages and keeps the cpu pegged while doing so, leading to quick battery depletion. The configuration options in Modest leaving me wanting (guess it is, at least, aptly named!)

I have two IMAP accounts configured, both with approximately 1,100 messages in the Inbox.

I'm thinking about Claws-Mail, but I have no idea if that'll even install or run properly on the N900.

Any other alternatives? Barring other options I'll have to spend a few hours pruning my Inboxes I guess.

zerojay 2009-11-30 14:17

Re: [better] email client for N900?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnotik (Post 400633)
You'd think it could be smart about how it downloads messages (last X days, headers only, etc),

You can set it up to do that. I guess maybe you missed the option to do so. I don't remember where it is offhand... perhaps under settings for a specific account.

hypnotik 2009-11-30 14:33

Maybe that option exists for POP3 accounts but it doesn't exist for my IMAP account settings. I triple checked this. Anyone else care to chime in here? It's not under the global email settings either.

ovjo12 2009-11-30 15:50

I use Nokia Messaging and configure it for gmail/IMAP. It works ok.

phi 2009-11-30 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovjo12 (Post 400810)
I use Nokia Messaging and configure it for gmail/IMAP. It works ok.

How do you do that? All I see is Ovi mail in my options for adding a new account.

phi 2009-11-30 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnotik (Post 400633)
Any thoughts on an alternative POP3/IMAP client than the built-in Modest email client in the N900? It's having a real problem dealing with Inboxes with over a thousand messages in it. You'd think it could be smart about how it downloads messages (last X days, headers only, etc), but it's failing to download messages and keeps the cpu pegged while doing so, leading to quick battery depletion. The configuration options in Modest leaving me wanting (guess it is, at least, aptly named!)

I have two IMAP accounts configured, both with approximately 1,100 messages in the Inbox.

I'm thinking about Claws-Mail, but I have no idea if that'll even install or run properly on the N900.

Any other alternatives? Barring other options I'll have to spend a few hours pruning my Inboxes I guess.

Supposedly there is a bug fix on the way for this, but again, since Nokia isn't going to push out individual bug fixes, I'm guessing its coming in the christmas firmware release.

christexaport 2009-11-30 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by phi (Post 400890)
How do you do that? All I see is Ovi mail in my options for adding a new account.

I have the exact same issue, and no one seems able to give me an answer why it is available to some US users but not all.

Caprio 2009-12-01 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by phi (Post 400892)
Supposedly there is a bug fix on the way for this, but again, since Nokia isn't going to push out individual bug fixes, I'm guessing its coming in the christmas firmware release.

Do we have any idea when this firmware update will be in December?

Andre Klapper 2009-12-01 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by phi (Post 400892)
Supposedly there is a bug fix on the way for this

Yes: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3762 comment 18.

Andre Klapper 2009-12-01 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caprio (Post 402238)
Do we have any idea when this firmware update will be in December?

Nokia never announces release dates in advance.