maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Maemo 6 / Harmattan on N900? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31346)

attila77 2009-10-15 16:21

Re: Maemo 6 on N900

You could argue for Diablo on N800 as well. For the clock speed if nothing else :)

GeneralAntilles 2009-10-15 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecursedfly (Post 347365)
isn't that a community effort instead of Nokia? (dunno, just asking)

It is, but my point is that it's a community effort that Nokia's providing support to with the intention of helping to get newer software on older hardware.

allnameswereout 2009-10-15 17:04

Maemo 6 will have features which depend on DRM. It is questionable whether those are going to work on Nokia N900. They require a public as well as a private key which is based on hardware and secret. In theory, it can be made to work, but in practice it'd take a lot of effort and I wouldn't count on it. So I think a community-based distribution with backports from Maemo 6 is much more likely.

Personally, I don't find one year of software support long enough for a (mobile) device. Especially not a high-end device. I expect products to work longer than 1 (one) year, and if the product is unsupported after a year, that is not a good thing. Think of e.g. lack of backported fixes from Gecko upstream.

Soulfarmer 2009-10-15 17:27

Why aren't anyone complaining or trying to complain that Symbian phones are made "obsolete" when a next device is published? If you who complain about compatibility with maemo6&n900 think N900 is not enough, why even waste your breath on it? Or this community? Is it like Mad Max apocalypse for you when each time you find a gas station you start to wonder should you or shouldn't you fill up just because you have no idea where is the next gas station and refill.

I know users would like more support than a year, but IF Nokia's stance is "get this or don't", would you rather have no N900 at all? I am no heavy user so this might not be as important to me as long time NIT users, but when I get my N900, I use it as long as it is usable or I want new one. Do you think release of Maemo6 makes N900 less usable? At all?

And yeah, I wouldn't mind if Maemo6 could be installed on N900, but that would be a bonus, if it doesn't fit, it is not making N900 lesser device now.

qgil 2009-10-15 17:45

Hi, there is another thread fundamentally duplicated in the Maemo 6 forum. What about moving this thread there, closing one thread and concentrate the discussion in the other one? I have commented to some concerns here and there but it's impossible to know who has read what. Thanks!

GodLikeCreature 2009-10-15 17:56

Well, I really don't understand that "take it or leave it" position, to be honest. I think discussion forums have that name for a reason... We are just exchanging opinions here...

Honestly, with its price tag and capabilities, I consider the Nokia N900 a professional device, not just another phone you through away when the new one comes up with 0.5 more megapixels in its camera!...

I don't know, I don't compare the N900 to any other phone out there, much less to any previous Symbian model, because I think it is in a league of its own. From my perspective, buying an N900 is like buying an expensive BMW... You are set to have different expectations than someone with a standard car, don't you?

I guess the N900 is a top of the line model and I expect everything around it to be top notch as well. Of course I know the device will work beyond one year, even if no Maemo6 migration is available, but as a customer I would be disappointed.

GodLikeCreature 2009-10-15 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 347467)
Hi, there is another thread fundamentally duplicated in the Maemo 6 forum. What about moving this thread there, closing one thread and concentrate the discussion in the other one? I have commented to some concerns here and there but it's impossible to know who has read what. Thanks!

Hey, good idea... I will post in the Maemo 6 thread from now on.

allnameswereout 2009-10-15 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulfarmer (Post 347448)
Why aren't anyone complaining or trying to complain that Symbian phones are made "obsolete" when a next device is published? If you who complain about compatibility with maemo6&n900 think N900 is not enough, why even waste your breath on it? Or this community? Is it like Mad Max apocalypse for you when each time you find a gas station you start to wonder should you or shouldn't you fill up just because you have no idea where is the next gas station and refill.

I know users would like more support than a year, but IF Nokia's stance is "get this or don't", would you rather have no N900 at all? I am no heavy user so this might not be as important to me as long time NIT users, but when I get my N900, I use it as long as it is usable or I want new one. Do you think release of Maemo6 makes N900 less usable? At all?

And yeah, I wouldn't mind if Maemo6 could be installed on N900, but that would be a bonus, if it doesn't fit, it is not making N900 lesser device now.

Because my Symbian phone is well maintained, or at least much better, and because we're already seeing changes in better Symbian support.

I am not complaining about support in the sense you refer to. I'm not saying Maemo 6 should be ported to Nokia N900. I complain about lack of support for security and reliability issues; these should be maintained at least for 2 years.

Optionally, via a support contract. If you install a Linux distribution you'll also get these updates.

In my case this is no new concern. This was a concern I had back with Nokia N8x0 as well, as I observed Gecko holes not being backported in MicroB. Now that the Nokia N900 has 3G this concern is even more important.

UCOMM 2009-10-15 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodLikeCreature (Post 347477)
Well, I really don't understand that "take it or leave it" position, to be honest. I think discussion forums have that name for a reason... We are just exchanging opinions here...

Honestly, with its price tag and capabilities, I consider the Nokia N900 a professional device, not just another phone you through away when the new one comes up with 0.5 more megapixels in its camera!...

I don't know, I don't compare the N900 to any other phone out there, much less to any previous Symbian model, because I think it is in a league of its own. From my perspective, buying an N900 is like buying an expensive BMW... You are set to have different expectations than someone with a standard car, don't you?

I guess the N900 is a top of the line model and I expect everything around it to be top notch as well. Of course I know the device will work beyond one year, even if no Maemo6 migration is available, but as a customer I would be disappointed.

android/iphone/winmo all offer upgrades(not bug fixes, but actually upgrades) to their software, i wish nokia would do the same

nevertheless i am buying the n900 for what it does NOW

daperl 2009-10-15 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogwash (Post 347295)
It ain't like a linux distro that can accumulate a DVD-worth of legacy cruft to support Pentium3 machines onwards. Size constraints are a very significant factor.

Just to clarify, this will not be true for some of us. Yes, the kernel may have flash size contraints, but I can make init do what ever I want, with or without an initfs. Thus, my cruft can be over 45 GB.

Only memory and processor speed are limited; not OS storage space. I have more cruft on my n800 than I do on my desktops.