maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What is this python software? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65199)

Sub-Negro 2010-11-07 04:27

What is this python software?

I've been tryin to DL some programs but I haven't had much luck becasue I don't have the software. I tried google and haven't seen much on here but how do I install this program?

Mentalist Traceur 2010-11-07 05:31

Re: What is this python software?

Well, near as I can tell from your question, you have some python component missing, and some program needs it.

Anyway, Python is a coding language. Like Perl, Ruby, C, C++, Qt, etc. Python is one of those languages that, as I understand it, doesn't need to be compiled to run, so long as you have the requisite interpreter stuff installed. Python isn't really a 'program', it's the coding language, and the requisite 'libraries' that the language uses to translate the human-readable lines of code into stuff to actually execute.

Most likely, you have some sort of dependency problem - meaning, you're trying to install a program that requires Python, but doesn't specify Python as it's dependency, or the right Python package isn't in the repository, or some bug is occuring preventing the proper Python packages from downloading, etc.

In order to get actually useful help though, you need to tell us what specifically you're trying to install, and what kind of error messages you're getting.

Sub-Negro 2010-11-07 05:59

Maesyth

It says

Application packages missing: python2.5-qt4-common(= 4.7.40maemo0)

Wikiwide 2010-11-07 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sub-Negro (Post 865722)
Maesyth

It says

Application packages missing: python2.5-qt4-common(= 4.7.40maemo0)

Try, as root, in X Terminal:
apt-get install python2.5-qt4-common

I have its status "install ok installed", the version is 4.7.5-maemo1

What software asks for out-of-date python package?

Sub-Negro 2010-11-07 14:55

I typed that in and now it goes
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
and a cursor is blinking at the bottom.

Frappacino 2010-11-07 14:58

apparently (i could be wrong) there is an incorrect version of python or something for that file in extras testing (search for the swappolube thread - Saturn posted something about this). This needs to be fixed in the repositories (or you can downgrade yourself).

ehab 2010-11-07 15:07

yes and Me too.

attila77 2010-11-07 15:33

Upon further inspection - apparently somehow something pulled in the sip and common packages from devel into stable (wasn't me), which is very bad. Will notify Niels to fix this.

kylepsp 2010-11-08 20:11

When I do apt-get -f install it shows me all the files i need but when i try downloading them i get stuck on modifying headers. Any idea when it ll be fixed?

jaguilar 2010-11-08 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur (Post 865714)
Anyway, Python is a coding language. Like Perl, Ruby, C, C++, Qt, etc.

One correction: Qt is not a programming language! It's a library available for several languages.