maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Developing on the N900 itself ? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32772)

sacha 2009-10-13 16:59

Developing on the N900 itself ?

Hi There,

I'm a linux developer and new to Maemo5. Will receive my N900, hopefully.

I've successful installed the SDK and have some fun.

Maybe a dump question. Do we have an option to install
a development environment on the N900 itself ?

So i am able to compile software on the device itself ?

Best regards

Sacha

Flandry 2009-10-13 17:02

Re: Developing on the N900 itself ?

There's always python...

I'd be interested in developing that way. The dev environment takes an awful lot of space, though.

Matan 2009-10-13 17:22

I develop for Mer, on a smartq5 with Mer installed, so it might be possible for Maemo as well. I think the easiest way to start is to create a large enough ext2/3 filesystem on the device (can even be done in a loop device on the FAT32 partition), copy a completely installed SDK filesystem from there, and chrooting into it. There might be some work needed for getting the arm binaries of the compiler.

rm42 2009-10-15 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flandry (Post 345539)
There's always python...

I'd be interested in developing that way. The dev environment takes an awful lot of space, though.

I assume vi is available, right. Lots of things could be done with straight Python code, especially if there is a port of the ncurses package. But, yes, for GUI development you are better off doing that on the desktop. Could be fun though.

jeremiah 2009-10-15 23:34

There are people who develop right on the device itself - apparently they had a long commute. :)

vi is available and if you don't like python you have perl on the device as well.

qole 2009-10-16 00:11

And if you write shell scripts, like me, developing on-device is pretty much a requirement!

I've successfully packaged the fremantle version of my easy-chroot package on-device using py2deb, and then uploaded to the autobuilder on-device, too!

I use leafpad for text file editing.

penguinbait 2009-10-16 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 347955)
And if you write shell scripts, like me, developing on-device is pretty much a requirement!

I've successfully packaged the fremantle version of my easy-chroot package on-device using py2deb, and then uploaded to the autobuilder on-device, too!

I use leafpad for text file editing.

leafpad you sissy, learn vi, it will take you 15 minutes and youll always have an editor on any uinix system, or at least 99% of them

allnameswereout 2009-10-16 00:43

Yes, please see sbrsh documentation.

codeMonkey 2009-10-16 12:27

On diablo you can install gcc and a few other tools too, so c and c++ development are also probably quite do-able for on-n900 hacking.

jeremiah 2009-10-16 12:39

<religious flame>

Someone has just uploaded qemacs as well to extras-devel, so you don't have to learn that crazy modal editor vi. :P

</religious flame>