maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Games (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Maemo 5] Angry Birds on N900 and iPhone: a comparison (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40230)

alexreed88 2010-01-12 18:28

[Maemo 5] Angry Birds on N900 and iPhone: a comparison

ok, i purchased the game Angry Birds on both platforms..and while the n900 has the superior resolution, it seems that my wifes ipod touch (2nd gen) has the superior color and framerate.

The color part kinda ticked me off i remembered that the n900 only has 16 bit colors i think and the ipod has 16m colors (18 bit i believe).. The difference was so noticible i was left wondering why wouldnt they didnt opt for the higher color depth instead.

Then the game runs much smoother on inferior hardware. That may be partly because the resolution on the n900 is higher..but it kinda sucks (i like touting features of my phone to friends but i seem to have lost this debate)

still an awesome game..just wish the colors were as deep.

mthmob 2010-01-12 18:32

Re: some things i noticed about in the iphon os vs maemo5 debate

did you turn screen brightness to max on n900 when comparing color deph?

retsam 2010-01-12 18:39

errr... the screens I've seen on iPods/hones have all been worse on colours than the n900 display. Kinda weird if they intentionally used bad graphics on the game...

I got an idea. Take screenshots from both devices with the game in same state and post them here. :O

slender 2010-01-12 18:41

fps overall on this device is in my opinion on unacceptable level. Sometimes it is almost smooth but still gets little jerky. Its just one thing that irritated me after i had used iphone. With one program running. But after awhile you forget it :) Actually i have had this same problem with different distros on pc and different hw....I'm starting to think that xorg or display drivers are not optimized and there is some really big problems with vertical sync or some other thing.

Sopwith 2010-01-12 18:46

alexreed88, 18 bits encode 262144 colors, not 16 million. Where did you pull your numbers from?

I strongly doubt that you can tell the difference between 18 bit color and 24 bit color, or a difference between two frame rates if the lower one is at least 30.

And yes, you will lose any debate based solely on perception and motivated by insecurity, lack of knowledge, and vanity. In fact, both parties entering such a debate will.

jcompagner 2010-01-12 18:48

i cant believe that it is the color dept of 16bit ..

a resolution of 800x480 can display 384K pixels/colors at the same time, and then it can choose in a "pallet" of 16M. that seems more then enough.

Isnt it the resistive screen? that has more layers?

redi 2010-01-12 18:53

Slender: Agree totally about the FPS overall. As an ex-iPhone user myself I've kinda ignored it since the N900 can do so much more compared to the iPhone. Would be nice at some point in the future to have a handheld with well optimized stuff, raw power is one thing, but if its used badly it's not that big a deal. Currently I'm just missing a lot of basic features like a decent media player, portrait mode, games like Tower Madness Zero etc.

Then again, now I've got a good keyb for IRC, SMS & IM, and a better toy for my nerdy needs. ;)

edit: The FPS was basicly the first thing I noticed in the device first, just doing something as basic as scrolling the virtual desktops. No idea why it's that bad. :/

MrGrim 2010-01-12 19:09

(note that i don't have a device, so i haven't seen the colors)
16 bits can encode 65536 colors. That's actually pretty little and is immediately obvious - just set your desktop color to 16 bits and feel the pain. From the films i've seen of the device, 16 bit color is unlikely. 18 bits would be extremely weird, since 18 makes no sense (multiples of 8 are preferred for technical reasons)
24 bits may sound weak compared to the 32 windows boasts, but as my linux desktop can confirm, there's actually no difference. My money is on 24 bit color for the n900
I wouldn't blame the makers of angry birds if they cut some corners to more easily port it to maemo. How much would you invest in porting your app to, say ... solaris (i.e. a niche, not very used os)? I think that's where the problems come from: the producers not optimizing the app very much
Here's a better benchmark: upload the same movie to both devices (assuming ye olde iphone will let you do that ;) ). Then run is side-by-side and see

alexreed88 2010-01-12 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 466863)
alexreed88, 18 bits encode 262144 colors, not 16 million. Where did you pull your numbers from?

I strongly doubt that you can tell the difference between 18 bit color and 24 bit color, or a difference between two frame rates if the lower one is at least 30.

And yes, you will lose any debate based solely on perception and motivated by insecurity, lack of knowledge, and vanity. In fact, both parties entering such a debate will.

While i mistakenly quoted 18bit from a site i read, nowhere in my debates has any opinions or deduction based of any insecurity, lack of knowledge, or vanity.
Also it quite annoys me a bit when people tell me that i wont notice a difference between color depths when the difference is quite plain in this example. ;)
I am not at home at the moment to post a comparison of the screen shots but when i do i will share.

oh and yes i did turn the brightness to the max. Had to do the same when comparing it to the pre.

Dr. Drips 2010-01-12 19:23

I maybe missing the point but all the sites I visited state the Iphone 3GS and the N900 both have 16M (16.777.216) color displays 24 bits.

or are you talking about the color dept inside the game?