maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Malaysia N900 owner.. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63917)

azizija 2010-10-17 05:28

Malaysia N900 owner..

Any N900 owner from malaysia here?leave your comment and share something about your N900..hope we can enlarge our N900 community from malaysia..thanks guys for any comment and feedback...

for my comment,i love my N900 and i know what the potential it can do.Hopefully we can add more reliable and potential app in our N900..but a certain telephony features is still not supported with N900 for example 3g video call and voice command call and some lags operation during incoming&outgoing call.hope our supportive members from this forum will give some feedback and their effort to make it our N900 be the most reliable and greatest pocket PC phone we ever had....

hope i can hear any comment from you guys about this and any good news to let we still stick with our N900 because all of my friend start selling of his N900 because they didnt know to use it or didnt know the potential of N900 can be...thanks guys...:D

hellhammer 2010-10-17 06:26

Re: Malaysia N900 owner..

malaysian here. ive owned the n900 for over a year now. some of the things you said is true, like no 3g video call and voice command. but for the lagginess, try lurking moar in the forum. there are a lot of patches that addresses those problems.

for me, its the complete phone. ive tried to buy a new phone since owning the n900, but i could make up my mind because none of the phones in the market currently have the same features as the n900. we owe it to the OS, maemo.

but wait, theres more! you should be very happy because the nitdroid project is going very good and should you get bored of maemo (and i do not know why you will), you could always use android. and then, if u are more of a tech geek, check out MohammadAG's ubuntu for n900. and then theres also a debian build for the n900 on the web, the SHR and maybe next 2 - 3 weeks, MeeGo!

mzams 2010-10-17 06:30

hi azizija, i am one of the proud owner of n900 in malaysia, currently staying in kedah. used my n900 heavily especially for work; checking emails, forums, facebook, rss feed company updates and newspaper, yahoo messenger and almost everything that i do with my netbook.

now, i can left my netbook home. why do i need it, if n900 can do the job :) and i love for what it can do.

azizija 2010-10-17 06:56

thanks for the reply and nice to knowing you hellhammer n mzams.I'm from selangor..same like you,I'm also use my N900 for work and for sure surfing internet because I'm always traveling and so lazy to bring my laptop with me,so N900 the best pocket PC to accompanied with me always..by the way I'm still love my n900 because it still under development phase and i know the potential of it if our community in maemo give the full support on us to give their effort and provide latest and useful application/software..

but my concern is the reliability of it telephony function..its something going hang and slow response during incoming or outgoing call,for the worse it end with missed call,that probably from our telco service provider,not for sure..after reboot all going back to normal.did you facing the same problem like this?.
have you already updated your firmware or overclocked your CPU?any comment you can share with us here..

thanks mzams,hopefully others guys can share and give their comment in this thread. ;)

mzams 2010-10-17 07:24

for me, for his kind of phone, the telephony function is secondary, that is why it only have basic function for answer/making call, no videocall and mms, inbox, send or draft box in sms like other nokia phone.

i have not experiance any lag in telephony function yet, it just i accidently pressing reject button when i pull it out from my pouchbag or pocket, maybe because of the wide screen with big reject button. lol.

currently my phone using pr1.2, patiently waiting for pr1.3, hehe. tried to overclock the cpu, but no used, drain my battery very quickly,

CasTTeLLo 2010-10-17 07:36

count me in!! :)) heeeeee

wongdg 2010-10-17 07:38

Another proud owner of N900 in Kuching, Sarawak. Chose N900 because of its Maemo is a close descendent of Debian. I have been using Debian on my desktops and notebook for years.

Of a couple of mobile gadgets (PDAs, smartphones and even camera), I come to conclude that the major area they failed badly, I really mean it badly! is the choice of filesystem - the infamous M$ FAT. It's most prone to corruption! My devices need to be reformatted at least once a year to prevent filesystem corruption and lose its content! Eg. my Palm 'ancient' Tungsten T3 has lost its data on memory card for no obvious reason. Even you can see the files are there, but they all are of zero byte! My Nokia Ngage QD also uses FAT in its internal and memory cards. The consequence - lost data. And now i'm so fed up with redoing whatever I have done with it, i'll just leave it in the minimal state with none of my data saved in there - period.

So 1 of my key targets with my new (relatively) n900 is to get rid of the vulnerable FAT from it. So far I've managed to format my Kingston 16GB class 10 microSD with ext3 and it runs most beautifully (instructions can be found in maemo website). Next step is repartitioning and charge filesystem of internal memory (the eMMC) to something more resilient like the ext3 or nilfs2.

Hope you all have a pleasant user experience with n900. Running linux/open-source platform provides us plenty of learning experience - if you do care about learning new stuff.

Cheers,
Wilson

hellhammer 2010-10-17 07:39

yes, i have updated my firmware to the latest nokia offered pr1.2. ive installed some tweaks to prolong my battery life, installed kernel-power by titan and used ideal setting and now my phone last 2 - 3 days, for MMS i installed fmms, for installing apps, i used faster app manager, for audio video needs i installed extras codecs, tomamp and smplayer.

if u are experiencing lagginess during call, you could lurk in the forum and search for "optimize your n900". its a script that would clean your n900 as if u did a restart.

hellhammer 2010-10-17 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by wongdg (Post 843088)
So 1 of my key targets with my new (relatively) n900 is to get rid of the vulnerable FAT from it. So far I've managed to format my Kingston 16GB class 10 microSD with ext3 and it runs most beautifully (instructions can be found in maemo website). Next step is repartitioning and charge filesystem of internal memory (the eMMC) to something more resilient like the ext3 or nilfs2.

you actually can format the emmc to anything u like, even ntfs (and use kernel-power to manipulate it). its just that the camera app will not save anything to any type of fs besides FAT.

joelsk 2010-10-17 07:52

Hi,
Malaysian here too!
good to hear from my fellow countrymen!
not many ppl in malaysia who understand nor want the freedom and responsibility to tweak the n900 i think..
any of u follow the lowyat n900 forum?
lotsa misguided comments regarding the reliability. they just want a simple iphoney i guess.
for me, n900 rocks! blows the rest of them right outta the water and takes no prisoners.
so far compared with sgs, iphoney 3gs and 4, wildfire and omnia. with all the apps they need to simply function on the internet, itms mind boggling.
i just log on to www via browser, and voila! done...
all i can say is, HAHA! supposed old phone with deadend os beat the crap outta android!