maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Newbie (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   HAHA! Can't remove SD card! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=14039)

oddgoblin 2007-12-29 13:44

HAHA! Can't remove SD card!

Oh dear, here's me reading these forums for weeks before finally acquiring my lovely new N800 very recently, imagining I'd worked out exactly how I would go about flashing to os2008, installing this and that - and then I can't even remove the SD card that came with the device from the external (front mounted) slot! :p:p

This is bizarre and slightly embarrassing... Tried pushing, pulling, magic words... Nothing in the pdf manual, nothing on here as far as I can tell, how crazy. It should just be a push-and-click-and-out-it-comes operation, right?! :confused::p:confused:

fnordianslip 2007-12-29 13:58

Re: HAHA! Can't remove SD card!

Well, I have no push & click action. I use a finger nail, inserted into the groove on the side of the card to pull it out of the slot.

tlacuache 2007-12-29 13:59

Yeah, this got me at first too. The SD card slot you're talking about isn't spring loaded, so it's really a bugger to get out.

I read online (here: http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...ds-to-use.html) :

============================================
How to get the memory card out of the N800's external card slot

A surprising number of people think that their memory card is stuck in the card slot under the N800's stand. The card isn't stuck though, the slot just isn't spring-loaded so the card doesn't pop out automatically.

To get the card out, open the slot's door and put your fingernail or thumbnail against the slot, perpendicular to the card. Press your nail down onto the card, and you should feel a ridge that makes it easier to pull the card out. Pull the card towards you with your nail, and it should come out very easily.
============================================

With a regular SD card this works okay for me. With my MiniSD card in its adapter, it's downright impossible. Since I'm a guy and I don't really have very long fingernails, I finally had to ask my wife to do it. With her fingernails, she could pull it out.

Anyway, to make a long story short, you don't have to push and it's not going to just pop out. You just pull it.

-SG

oddgoblin 2007-12-29 14:20

Thanks for the info guys, but that's crazy, how much more difficult would it have been for Nokia to have made it spring loaded?! I fear for putting the MiniSD adaptor I use in my camera in there, like you say tlacuache, it's going to be almost physically impossible to get out again :(

gemniii42 2007-12-29 14:38

That's why every geek should have a swiss army cybertool, with minipliers:)

GeneralAntilles 2007-12-29 17:21

You guys have got to be kidding me, there's a little slot on the SD cards that you get your fingernail into and it comes right out. It couldn't be any easier. :rolleyes:

Spring-loaded would mean no internal slot. How much are you willing to give up for stupid, space consuming mechanical features?

oddgoblin 2007-12-29 20:41

I think Antilles was attacked by a spring as a child. Is it really so stupid to have something like this spring-loaded? I imagine most people would find it very useful. But I bow to your superior knowledge, General, is the mechanism really so big as to prohibit an internal card?

barry99705 2007-12-29 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 117355)
You guys have got to be kidding me, there's a little slot on the SD cards that you get your fingernail into and it comes right out. It couldn't be any easier. :rolleyes:

Spring-loaded would mean no internal slot. How much are you willing to give up for stupid, space consuming mechanical features?

I have to use my knife point. I don't have enough fingernail to grab the edge. At least this way you don't accidentally shoot your card across the room. My phone does this with it's mini-sd card. Those things are a ***** to find once they hit the floor. :rolleyes:

xxM5xx 2007-12-29 21:12

3 Attachment(s)
I thought I was alone in the non-spring loaded observation. Glad my N800 has the same external SD socket as the rest of you. For some time now I was afraid I had a defective SD eject spring.

I have a 2 gig micro SD in an adapter sleeve. This is the worst scenario because the micro card comes out alone, leaving the adapter sleeve behind in the N800. This is not what you may want to happen (it isn't what I want). General Antilly must not have a microSD in his N8xx or he would share our frustration.

It isn't the end of the World however.......use tweezers or small needle nose pliers to grab the microSD adapter to get it out.

I have placed an adhesive paper sticker (like a flag) on the microSD in my N800, and trimmed the paper to as small as I can while still allowing me to grab it (pinch it) with my fingers to extract the card without tweezers or pliers. The sticker stays on the microSD adapter all the time, I fold it to get the door shut on the ext. slot.

Most other PDA's have spring loaded SD slot sockets that "toggle eject". I'm assuming there was an issue inside the N800 that caused Nokia engineers to not use such a spring loaded mechanism. I'll go with that theory, and trust that Nokia did what was best.

The paper sticker solution works. The first one I used was from a self adhesive postal stamp, I later went to something that had better (more sticky) glue. POST-IT Notes (R) are not good because the glue it way too weak.

If you don't like the paper sticker/flag idea, and you have something like a Dremel tool, you could put a tiny groove on the adapter where your nail could grab on. Aside from this, you must use tweezers or very pointy (small) needle nose.

M5

xxM5xx 2007-12-29 21:54

To clarify, The fingernail grab will not work when you have a microSD adapter in there because the adapter remains stuck behind. As you can see from my photos, there is no groove on the adapter for a fingernail to hook onto.

8 years ago I bought a Casio E-125 Pocket PC. It had a CF slot. It was very difficult to get the CF card out for the same reasons. I used the sticky paper solution to the problem back then too. What is old, is new again. :-)