maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish on Linx 10 Tablet? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96789)

stickymick 2016-05-30 09:54

Sailfish on Linx 10 Tablet?

Picked up a brand new Linx 10 tablet yesterday at a bargain price and thought I'd throw this in here.

What are the chances of a working Sailfish port to the Linx 10?
Currently it's running Windows 10, but the specs between the 2 tablets are pretty close. Both share the Quad-Core Intel Atom Z3735F although the Jolla has 32GB storage and the Linx has 16GB, which shouldn't be a major stumbling block. Not sure about the display architecture, but the Linx has Intel HD graphics.

Worth a shot or not?

juiceme 2016-05-30 09:59

Re: Sailfish on Linx 10 Tablet?

I don't think it is likely, unless there exists an android version of the same tablet you have. Moreover it'd need to be something that has a working CM version.

Unless those preconditions are fulfilled it will be extremely difficult to complete the port.

nh1402 2016-05-30 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1506542)
Picked up a brand new Linx 10 tablet yesterday at a bargain price and thought I'd throw this in here.

What are the chances of a working Sailfish port to the Linx 10?
Currently it's running Windows 10, but the specs between the 2 tablets are pretty close. Both share the Quad-Core Intel Atom Z3735F although the Jolla has 32GB storage and the Linx has 16GB, which shouldn't be a major stumbling block. Not sure about the display architecture, but the Linx has Intel HD graphics.

Worth a shot or not?

A pure port should be possible, no need for hybris in this case.

m4r0v3r 2016-05-30 21:00

check in freenode #sailfishos-porters

TheKit 2016-05-31 08:50

It's possible, but how good it will run depends on current Linux kernel support for your tablet. I did a port and made a topic about this for another tablet a while back, but no one seemed interested. You can try newest Android-x86/RemixOS build to get an idea what will probably work and what not (not actually tied to Android, but those projects include a lot of patches for Bay Trail).

You would have to take a different approach though (since no Android) and do pure port like nh1402 suggested. I've built newer libdrm/MESA, which should work for graphics if it boots with KMS. Going #sailfishos-porters is surely a good idea.

Veraendert 2016-05-31 10:45

I am interested in your port btw.
I had to promise not to buy another tablet for another month though.

stickymick 2016-06-13 15:07

Wondering if anyone has risen to the challenge yet. :P

TheKit 2016-06-14 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1507526)
Wondering if anyone has risen to the challenge yet. :P

There are too many x86 devices that can probably run Sailfish OS, yet different in many ways. I think that's up to you to try, unless someone else has the same device.

zenecho 2016-06-15 10:36

Do it - Give it a try -

But ....

As an owner of a Jolla Tablet, I would say its like climbing a mountain and then when you finally get to the top you discover you cant see anything because of the clouds. You are disapointed but then you notice over to th e side, there is a brand new cafe, with flashing lights and big signs. One is for your favorite cake, you rush in full of excitement only to discover they dont have any as it has never has been and never will be delivered as they built the cafe but not the road for teh supply lorry

If you wont tasty cakes you need to bring your own

stickymick 2016-06-15 14:17

If the tablet had a removable drive I certainly would try it, but I'm no coder.

Maybe I'll just plod on with Win 10 and keep an eye on freenode.